Kindle Forum banner

Proofreading - now booking for April

68K views 379 replies 44 participants last post by  alexabooks 
#1 · (Edited)
#27 ·
alexabooks said:
To everyone who's been waiting for the special offer, here it is! Submit your book for proofreading today and pay only $50, no matter how big it is.

Please check this post for more details and head over to my website to submit your book.

Please notice that the special offer is for when I have a little free time in between regular orders, so I can only give you an approximate time frame (about 7 days). You'll still have to send me the book and payment right away so I can start reading it as soon as I have the chance. Everything else will be the same, and I'll do my best to help you find every single error in your manuscript.

Good luck! ;)
It's been a busy month so far, but I've got just enough time for another special offer! Please read the rules before you submit ;)

#30 ·
Alexa was one of two proofreaders for my recent book, and I was happy with her work. It still blows my mind that after a long edit and multiple passes that things are still missed, but Alexa found them. She was quick and easy to work with, and I look forward to using her services again on the next book!

#32 ·
sophia ann said:
Hi,
Are you still available for proofreading? I am looking for someone to proofread my 87,000 word story ASAP!  It's already been edited, I just need that one last check.
Thanks
Sophie
If it's urgent, I can proof your book after the one I'm reading now. It'll take 3-4 days. I've checked out your sample, and it looks clean enough. Please submit your book via the website, and I'll get back to you right away! :)

#36 ·
Evenstar said:
I have a question. How would you feel about leaving comments as you proofread? Not changing things as an editor might do, but pointing out things that you think need some work?
You mean like a beta reader? Proofing included, or just critique? When I proofread, I always point out plot inconsistencies or anything weird, really.

#37 ·
alexabooks said:
You mean like a beta reader? Proofing included, or just critique? When I proofread, I always point out plot inconsistencies or anything weird, really.
Just a proofreader who leaves notes as well. I suppose that kind of is a bit like a beta reader who proofreads.
I'm just sadly trying to find someone who can do what my last one did. He used to leave humerous comments about my plot holes and when someone did things out of character. That sort of thing.

#38 ·
Evenstar said:
Just a proofreader who leaves notes as well. I suppose that kind of is a bit like a beta reader who proofreads.
I'm just sadly trying to find someone who can do what my last one did. He used to leave humerous comments about my plot holes and when someone did things out of character. That sort of thing.
Oh, sure! When it comes to books, I'm pretty critical, so if there's anything even slightly strange or silly, I can't ignore it. I just usually keep these things to myself :D
Btw, your monster post on keywords changed my life :-* ;D (and 3 more authors').

#39 ·
alexabooks said:
Oh, sure! When it comes to books, I'm pretty critical, so if there's anything even slightly strange or silly, I can't ignore it. I just usually keep these things to myself :D
Btw, your monster post on keywords changed my life :-* ;D (and 3 more authors').
SOLD! LOL
I'll fill out your submission form when we get back from half-term break x

#48 ·
lostones said:
That's great. My book is 500,000 words. Is that okay? LOL It's an omnibus.
As long as it's ready for proofing, and you're ready to pay $650 for it and wait a month, I've got nothing against it :D That's basically 5 books. Plus, I have regulars every month, so I'd have to put it down every now and then.

If you need me, just use the website to submit your monster book!

#50 ·
I'm leaving on vacation, so I'll be unavailable for 10 days or so, but feel free to submit your books via the website.
The number of submissions for September and October will be limited to 4, so please book a slot in advance, if you need me. (I have regulars who submit a book every month, too).
Submissions for August are now closed.

#51 ·
NEW SERVICE - SAMPLE CRITIQUE ($50)

It's been a while since I updated this topic, with all the work I've been getting from my regulars :) But I figured I can find a bit of time for a new service, especially, since many authors who contact me are only publishing their first book.

Authors often ask me what I think of their books, and I'm happy to help and share my thoughts and all, except it feels a bit backward, to point out issues that won't be fixed anyway. You need critique way before proofing and editing, so you can actually apply everything you've learned, and fix the problems before you spend hundreds of dollars on editing. Besides, the idea of revising the whole book instead of spotting your mistakes right away and working on them as you go has always bothered me.

That's why I decided to offer a new service - sample critique.

I will read the first few chapters of your book (up to 10K) and give you a detailed critique. I will analyze your writing style, setting, characterization, plot, point of view, worldbuilding; point out grammar errors and poor word usage; fix sentence structure and plot holes. Plus, I will give you an honest and (mostly) objective opinion of your opening chapters, characters, story, etc.

I'm mostly doing this for new authors, but of course, everyone is welcome to submit their book via my website and see if I can help improve their writing.

P.s. if anyone needs me for proofreading, November 14th and 21st are open!