Author Topic: 60+ Ways to Replace "That"  (Read 31849 times)  

Offline Becca Mills

• Global Moderator
  • California
    • View Profile
Re: GrandmaBirdie's Lists: 4 Guidelines for Stacked Modifiers
« Reply #175 on: June 05, 2017, 09:39:13 am »
June 5: 4 Guidelines for Stacked Modifiers
Should you worry about adjective order or how many modifiers you include in a sequence? What about commas and hyphens? Read this article for the answers.

I'd heard we were moving away from the absolute requirement that preceding compound modifiers be hyphenated in favor of an "if needed" approach.

ETA: Or should I say, an "if-needed" approach. ;)

Welcome! :)
Read about using the Writers' Cafe here. Our larger "forum decorum" is here. The site's overall terms of use are here. Please be aware of this material.
Troubleshooting: If you're having difficulties with advertising on KBoards, the contact email is [email protected] You can also use our PM system to contact the site's owners via the vsAdmin account. The Link-Maker and Author Signature Tool long longer function. There's a manual version of the former here and a workaround for the latter here.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline GrandmaBirdie

• Pecking-On-Keyboard, Terra
    • Everyone is a reader with an opinion that matters.
      • View Profile
      • Free Resources for Writers and Poets
    Re: GrandmaBirdie's Lists: 100+ Ways to Say "Blush"
    « Reply #176 on: June 05, 2017, 12:02:50 pm »
    Hooboy, I need this one. I constantly find myself wanting to make my MC blush. It's a writing tic. So embarrassing. <blush>

;D "Hooboy"--I like. First time I've seen it.

I'd heard we were moving away from the absolute requirement that preceding compound modifiers be hyphenated in favor of an "if needed" approach.

ETA: Or should I say, an "if-needed" approach. ;)

Hyphenation isn't an absolute requirement, but a recommendation, although Chicago Manual of Style calls some of the guidelines rules.

Offline Diamond Eyes

• View Profile
    « Reply #177 on: June 05, 2017, 06:53:33 pm »
    These guides are really great. I feel like I'm becoming a stacked modifier and em dash Jedi. Thanks for the info!

Offline GrandmaBirdie

• View Profile
    « Reply #178 on: June 05, 2017, 08:34:52 pm »
    These guides are really great. I feel like I'm becoming a stacked modifier and em dash Jedi. Thanks for the info!

My pleasure, Kenny!

Do you have a wishlist of overused words or  grammar idiosyncrasies you'd like me to tackle for an upcoming blog post?

Offline Diamond Eyes

• View Profile
    « Reply #179 on: June 06, 2017, 12:18:46 pm »
    My pleasure, Kenny!

Do you have a wishlist of overused words or  grammar idiosyncrasies you'd like me to tackle for an upcoming blog post?

I can't really think of anything specific, but I do appreciate all the guides you have created so far and look forward to whatever topics you post about in the future. Thanks again.

Offline GrandmaBirdie

• View Profile
    June 12: Too Many Filter Words in Your Writing? 80 Alternatives
    Why should you avoid filter words? Think of the last time you stood in line at a bank or grocery store. Did you enjoy the wait?

Offline GrandmaBirdie

• View Profile
    Re: GrandmaBirdie's Lists: 50 Alternatives for "Wink" in Writing
    « Reply #181 on: June 19, 2017, 07:57:54 am »
    June 19: 50 Alternatives for "Wink" in Writing
    Do your characters wink so often that their eyes resemble flashing signal lights? A wink is a vague action that might be misconstrued. Try these alternatives.

Offline SerenityEditing

• View Profile
      • Serenity Editing Services
    « Reply #182 on: June 19, 2017, 12:28:24 pm »
    Tangentially related questions/thoughts:
    Do people ACTUALLY wink that much? The only times I ever wink are when I'm doing it ironically (like, "Gosh, what a shame that my horrible coworker got fired, I'm all torn up about it. I'll miss her so much." *hugely exaggerated wink*). I can't remember the last time I saw anyone - of any age, gender, or societal role - do it, unless they were doing it for a camera. But it shows up in manuscripts all the time. Do I just live in a winkless pocket of the world? Or is it maybe something people have begun doing more as a result of the use of the 'winky face' to help convey tone in casual written conversation?
    Serenity Editing Services - KBoards Yellow Pages

FREE Sample - Top-Notch Editing and Proofreading Services
    serenityeditingservices.com/

Offline GrandmaBirdie

• View Profile
    « Reply #183 on: June 19, 2017, 03:59:28 pm »
    But it shows up in manuscripts all the time. Do I just live in a winkless pocket of the world? Or is it maybe something people have begun doing more as a result of the use of the 'winky face' to help convey tone in casual written conversation?

Exactly. I recently read something that contained so many winks I couldn't concentrate on the story. Like you, Serenity, I seldom wink and rarely see one in real life.

BTW for future interest, what day of the week are you most likely to read blogs? I post on Mondays but would be glad to change the day to match the preferences of readers.

Offline GrandmaBirdie

• View Profile
    Re: GrandmaBirdie's Lists: "Alright" vs. "All Right": Which is "Right"?
    « Reply #184 on: June 26, 2017, 08:19:33 am »
    June 26: "Alright" vs. "All Right": Which is "Right"?
    Authors have penned "alright" for more than 130 years. Common sense suggests that public acceptance should justify the existence of a word. Right?

Offline Forgettable

• View Profile
    « Reply #185 on: June 27, 2017, 04:32:39 am »
    « Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 05:56:18 pm by Forgettable »

Offline GrandmaBirdie

• View Profile
    « Reply #186 on: June 27, 2017, 05:40:42 am »
    Think this one might depend on locality. 'Alright' appears in both my 1987 Heinemann Australian Dictionary, solely as an adverb, and in my Fifth Edn Macquarie Dictionary.  The Macquarie offers 10 forms of usage as both an adjective and an adverb.  I guess this is another one to pop on my 'list of words to avoid if writing for a US market  :P

Good point. However, an editor for an Australian publication might be an American.  ;) 

You'll find editors (and readers) worldwide with viewpoints like this one from http://languagehat.com/bad-words-in-dictionaries/

I will woman the barricades against "alright" until they pry my Strunk & White from my cold, dead hands. I have shamed my own mother for writing that word in a letter to me (less nasty than you might think, because she always brags about winning the statewide school spelling bee championship when she was eleven, or some insane thing. My own chance ever at a spelling bee, I was tossed off in the easy rounds because I spelled "f-a-v-o-u-r". Too much Dickens).
    « Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 04:30:29 pm by GrandmaBirdie »

Offline Morgan Worth

• View Profile
      • Professional Beta-Reading/Manuscript Critique Services
    « Reply #187 on: June 27, 2017, 03:14:17 pm »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIui-eKxAec sorry, just had to. LOL. Growing up, my understanding was that alright and all right meant different things. I considered alright to be similar to OK with a basis similar to the mythical "zero kills (0K)" signs in villages of preindustrial times which were allegedly used to signify no casualties in war that day. All right is what you got on that test, with no wrong answers.

This is exactly what I was taught, and what I recall from the books I read when I was a kid. But many people do consider "alright" a no-no now. I really don't get the opposition to it, but I can understand why authors avoid it.
    Professional Beta-Reading/Manuscript Critique Services: https://www.mybetareader.com/
    I'm an avid reader in many genres, including Cozy Mystery, Fantasy, Children's, and YA. Check out my rates and preferences at my website. :)

Offline Forgettable

• View Profile
    « Reply #188 on: June 27, 2017, 03:25:40 pm »
    « Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 05:55:29 pm by Forgettable »

Offline The one with all the big dresses on the covers

• Australia
      • View Profile
    « Reply #189 on: June 27, 2017, 03:59:56 pm »
    Exactly.  All right = all correct.  Alright = okay, fine, no problems.
    But I see that you are Australian also, so we have likely been raised with the same education. Alright was a word on my 7 year old's school spelling homework recently  :P

This is so interesting! I'm an Aussie also, and I learned early in my writing (from reader feedback) that I was supposed to use all right instead of alright, so I changed it, but have never had any idea why. I also thought they basically had different meanings and have found it so strange to write it to mean ok. Now I know it's a regional difference :)

Offline Morgan Worth

• View Profile
    « Reply #190 on: June 27, 2017, 05:40:21 pm »
    This is so interesting! I'm an Aussie also, and I learned early in my writing (from reader feedback) that I was supposed to use all right instead of alright, so I changed it, but have never had any idea why. I also thought they basically had different meanings and have found it so strange to write it to mean ok. Now I know it's a regional difference :)

I'm from the U.S., though, and I was taught the different meanings of "alright" and "all right."
    Professional Beta-Reading/Manuscript Critique Services: https://www.mybetareader.com/
    I'm an avid reader in many genres, including Cozy Mystery, Fantasy, Children's, and YA. Check out my rates and preferences at my website. :)

Offline Linn

• View Profile
    « Reply #191 on: June 27, 2017, 06:50:28 pm »
    This argument never seems to reach a firm conclusion. Fortunately, some true icons have been kind enough to weigh in on the matter:

Offline Morgan Worth

• View Profile
    « Reply #192 on: June 27, 2017, 07:10:05 pm »
    This argument never seems to reach a firm conclusion. Fortunately, some true icons have been kind enough to weigh in on the matter:

LOL. Perfect!

Offline GrandmaBirdie

• View Profile
    « Reply #193 on: June 27, 2017, 08:09:59 pm »
    I've been conspicuously silent. This post has generated a firestorm of controversy.  :'(

I used to type alright--until an editor reprimanded me. Given its lack of support, I switched to all right a few years ago.

Offline Morgan Worth

• View Profile
    « Reply #194 on: June 27, 2017, 08:18:57 pm »
    I've been conspicuously silent. This post has generated a firestorm of controversy.  :'(

I used to type alright--until an editor reprimanded me. Given its lack of support, I switched to all right a few years ago.

Sorry. I thought it was a pretty friendly discussion.  :)

Offline Forgettable

• View Profile
    « Reply #195 on: June 27, 2017, 08:25:24 pm »
    « Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 05:54:43 pm by Forgettable »

Offline Forgettable

• View Profile
    « Reply #196 on: June 28, 2017, 03:18:24 am »
    « Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 05:54:18 pm by Forgettable »

Offline notjohn

• View Profile
      • Notjohn's Self-Publishing Guide
    « Reply #197 on: June 28, 2017, 03:27:50 am »
    In my Shorter Oxford, the definition of "alright" is as follows: see All Right. That's about as shrill a condemnation as lexicographers are permitted these days. My Webster's Collegiate, which I use to check American usage, is more generous and even quotes a Gertrude Stein usage, but there is a general level of distaste even there.

If I saw it in a printed book, I would probably dismiss the book as not worth reading, depending on its provenance and subject matter (e.g. a self-published book by a war veteran would be okay, but not the same book published by Penguin Random House; a Jack Reacher novel, perhaps, but still a slightly raised eyebrow).

I don't recall that I have EVER seen the usage in a book from a reputable publishing house. (Gertrude Stein is of course quite another matter. A rose is a rose is a rose, etc. David Foster Wallace might also get away with it.)
    Notjohn's Guide to E-Book & Print Formatting: http://viewbook.at/notjohn

The blog: http://notjohnkdp.blogspot.com

Offline SerenityEditing

• View Profile
      • Serenity Editing Services
    « Reply #198 on: June 28, 2017, 11:10:39 am »
    I'm American (a military brat, so I was educated in schools across the US and in the DoDDS system in Germany) and I was always taught that "alright" is incorrect. I mostly see AU/UK authors using it and I always change it. Whether or not they accept that change is up to them. (c:

Logically "alright" makes sense, as we have "always" and "already," etc. To be honest I'm not sure why it's not considered standard yet. But until then, I'll toe the line and keep "fixing" it.
    Serenity Editing Services - KBoards Yellow Pages

FREE Sample - Top-Notch Editing and Proofreading Services
    serenityeditingservices.com/

Offline The one with all the big dresses on the covers

• Australia
      • View Profile
    « Reply #199 on: June 28, 2017, 04:21:06 pm »
    I'm American (a military brat, so I was educated in schools across the US and in the DoDDS system in Germany) and I was always taught that "alright" is incorrect. I mostly see AU/UK authors using it and I always change it. Whether or not they accept that change is up to them. (c:

Logically "alright" makes sense, as we have "always" and "already," etc. To be honest I'm not sure why it's not considered standard yet. But until then, I'll toe the line and keep "fixing" it.

I think fixing it is the right idea (as you said, they don't have to accept it!) because there's every chance that, like me, they genuinely have no idea it's an issue at all and not a perfectly ordinary word. I write fantasy but try to keep it vaguely historically based so actually put some effort into researching words as I write if I think they might be too modern (with surprising results sometimes - some words I think are really modern-sounding are actually really old :) ) And it never occurred to me to look up alright, that's how much of a non-issue it was to me. I do write in Australian English, so I guess using it wasn't necessarily wrong, but I'd rather not annoy readers unnecessarily.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement