Author Topic: Instant Pot (Duo currently $89; also new models available)  (Read 18142 times)  

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey.
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
Instant Pot (Duo currently $89; also new models available)
« on: December 08, 2016, 05:53:42 am »
So, I know several people have Instant Pots that they got on sale through Amazon.  Thinking I might get one instead of the smaller slow cooker I was toying with getting.  Or to replace the rice cooker I have.  Waiting for another sale before I decide, as it's pricier than either a new slow cooker or rice cooker.

Which Instant Pot did you get?  Do you like it?  Use it much?

Betsy

Duo $99; in stock for Prime members....

Instant Pot IP-DUO60 7-in-1 Multi-Functional Pressure Cooker, 6Qt/1000W
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 05:13:53 am by Betsy the Quilter »
Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX    KB Member #72
Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline CegAbq

• Albuquerque, NM
      • View Profile
    Re: Instant Pot
    « Reply #1 on: December 08, 2016, 06:32:48 am »
    What's an Instant Pot? Never heard of them.   ;)
    Carol in 'burque

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to Skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and shouting: Damn-What a ride!

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
    • Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #2 on: December 08, 2016, 06:51:24 am »
    I hadn't either, until recently.
     ;D

Short answer is a variation on a pressure cooker...but it has other modes and can be a steamer and a slow cooker and other things.  Here's one model.  Instant Pot is a brand name--there are a couple of other manufacturers who now make something similar.

Instant Pot IP-DUO60 7-in-1 Multi-Functional Pressure Cooker, 6Qt/1000W
    Today's price (12-16-16) $99

Betsy
    « Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 03:37:52 am by Betsy the Quilter »

Offline CegAbq

• Albuquerque, NM
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: December 08, 2016, 07:24:58 am »
    Ah! And now I see why folks might want to watch for sales!
    But it is intriguing.
    Carol in 'burque

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to Skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and shouting: Damn-What a ride!

Offline Jane917

• Ridgefield, WA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: December 08, 2016, 07:32:12 am »
    So, I know several people have Instant Pots that they got on sale through Amazon.  Thinking I might get one instead of the smaller slow cooker I was toying with getting.  Or to replace the rice cooker I have.  Waiting for another sale before I decide, as it's pricier than either a new slow cooker or rice cooker.

Which Instant Pot did you get?  Do you like it?  Use it much?

Betsy

I have had my Instant Pot for a bit over a year. Although I use it fairly often, it has not replaced either my programmable slow cooker or my rice cooker.
    Words with Friends: Jane917

(Make your own reading bar)

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: December 08, 2016, 07:33:44 am »
    Betsy, if you start on page 22 of the Pressure Cooking thread, almost all the discussion from there on are about the InstaPot so many of us bought on Prime Day.

I love mine, use it multiple times a week.

eta:  I got the one you linked above.  I have only used the pressure cooking function and the rice maker.  I still use my regular crockpot and haven't tried that function (because I prefer the big oval size of the crockpot I have).  I also still use my rice maker separately while something is pressure cooking in the InstaPot.
    « Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 07:36:20 am by crebel »

• Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #6 on: December 08, 2016, 07:45:51 am »
    Thanks for the responses... 

Crebel, thanks! I'll look at the Pressure Cooking thread.  I did a search for Instant Pot and didn't get any hits...  I guess I should have searched for "InstaPot."  I'll start from the latest posts and work back--the page numbers don't work for me because I have forum threads sorted by most recent first and view 2x the number of posts per page.  Backwards from what most do. :). EDIT:  here's apparently the first post about Instant Pots, from July, by Andra https://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,19582.msg3060015.html#msg3060015

Jane, I don't have a programmable slow cooker...mine is either high or warm in temp...  I don't really want to get rid of either the crock pot or the rice cooker but I just don't have much room for gadgets in the kitchen. (Plenty of room for quilting and entertainment gadgets. :D) My mother gave me my rice cooker--is it wrong to have an emotional attachment to an appliance?  Though we don't make rice very often.  I was hoping the Instant Pot would be smaller than the crock pot I have but they both seem to be six quarts.

I think I'm going to have to look at one in person to get an idea of the size.

Off to look at the pressure cooking thread.

Betsy
    « Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 07:49:29 am by Betsy the Quilter »

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: December 08, 2016, 07:53:17 am »

Crebel, thanks! I'll look at the Pressure Cooking thread.  I did a search for Instant Pot and didn't get any hits...  I guess I should have searched for "InstaPot."  I'll start from the latest posts and work back--the page numbers don't work for me because I have forum threads sorted by most recent first.  Backwards from what most do.

Jane, I don't have a programmable slow cooker...mine is either high or warm in temp...  I don't really want to get rid of either the crock pot or the rice cooker but I just don't have much room for gadgets in the kitchen. (Plenty of room for quilting and entertainment gadgets. :D) My mother gave me my rice cooker--is it wrong to have an emotional attachment to an appliance?  Though we don't make rice very often.  I was hoping the Instant Pot would be smaller than the crock pot I have but they both seem to be six quarts.

Betsy

Bigger than a round crockpot in terms of size, maybe like a big soup pot for height and a little wider than a dutch oven.  The stainless steel liner cleans up fast, almost just needs a rinse out regardless of what you make in it.  I think that's a big plus. 

My favorite thing is probably that you can take meat or a meal you have frozen and have it cooked and ready to serve in 30-60 minutes.  No need to thaw first.

Offline Jane917

• Ridgefield, WA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: December 08, 2016, 08:08:09 am »

Betsy

Betsy, I use the rice cooker to make oatmeal as often as I use it make rice! It stays on the counter. The crockpot (i have 3, a bit excessive) stay in their own cabinet, but i should get rid of two of them. I have not used the InstaPot as a slow cooker. I love that I can brown meat in it before programming it to cook. I love the IP for all kinds of broth and ribs. It is great for artichokes and corn on the cob.
    Words with Friends: Jane917

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: December 08, 2016, 10:00:59 am »
    So, do I want one of these? ;D I have a good Crock Pot and a good rice cooker.  I'm wondering what feature(s) it would provide that I don't have with the appliances I have.
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: December 08, 2016, 10:19:32 am »
    I have one. I blame crebel.  ;D I got it on prime day, last minute decision. I never had a rice cooker and I used it for rice several times, works great. Oatmeal also. Pressure cooking of course. I have had electric pressure cookers in the past and they were all useless after not long because they had non stick coating and it peeled every single time. Its why I got this one. Stainless steel insert. Most others have the non stick stuff.

It has replaced my slow cooker for me also. I have a slow cooker, 2 in fact. A 6 qt and a 4qt. The Instant pot when set on low actually is low. My pressure cookers seem a big high in temp, even on the low setting. Its also less "smelly" in the house with the IP. Because the lid fits on more tight. Turned to release of course. Doesn't get really hot on the outside either even after 8 hours of cooking. I use it mostly for pressure cooking, but sometimes I need slow as then I can put all the veggies in. With pressure, I put the veggies in after the meat is done for like 10 minutes or they are all mush.

I  have a few sites I love using with the IP. Good recipes. I make indian chicken, mexican beef, I made Hawaiian pork. I made ribs to die for, with the beans and stuff on the bottom of the rack, all in one pot. Yummy.
    I make frozen chicken breasts in like 15 minutes. I just add a cup of fluids like salsa, terriaki, whatever I feel like it. Done. Throw it in, set it and dinner is ready.

I brown everything right in the pot too, even for slow cooking. Its why I prefer it over my slow cookers. Only one pot to dirty. But most stuff I make fast now.

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: December 08, 2016, 10:31:42 am »
    I have the one Betsy linked to above. Use it multiple times a month, mostly for pressure cooking and cooking rice. I don't have a rice cooker and the steamer I used for cooking rice as well as steaming for many years wore out. I did not replace it as this device does a great job for rice and steaming. I don't steam as much stuff as I probably should, but when I do use it I'm always pleased with the results. I do have a second insert so if I want to steam some vegetables while the meat is resting, it can be quickly done. (Bonus when doing that is the base is already hot, so it doesn't take long for it to pressurize.) The slow function works well, but as others have said, I like the oval shape of one of my slow cookers much better for lots of dishes. But the speed which a meal can be cooked using the pressure function was and remains the selling point for me.

Offline pdworkman

• View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: December 08, 2016, 11:00:15 am »
    I use mine almost every day. I am vegan, grain-free, multiple allergies, and I cook with a lot of dry beans, freeze-dried Thrive products, etc. I love to throw beans in my Instant Pot before work, set the cook time, set the timer, and come home to perfectly cooked beans, instead of having to use canned beans all the time. Cheaper, better for the environment, and better for me. I live at a high altitude and can never get bigger beans like garbanzos to cook to tender in a crockpot. I have to pressure cook. Instant Pot eliminates all the fuss and bother. The rice cooker works perfectly for rice (for my boys) or quinoa (for me). When making curry, I can fry the spices in the pot without them popping out, then throw in my beans and hardy veggies, and pressure cook to perfection.

I write riveting young adult and suspense fiction about mental illness, addiction, and abuse.
    P.D. Workman | Web | Facebook | Twitter

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: December 08, 2016, 11:09:00 am »
    We still use our IP once or twice a week.  It's very handy if you need to get something cooked quickly, even if you haven't thawed out the meat.  And it's so awesome that you can brown the meat right in the pot.  It's deep enough that DH is not able to make a huge mess.  If I want to use any vegetables other than potatoes, I still tend to cook them separately, especially things like broccoli and brussels sprouts.  We aren't very good about interrupting the cooking, bringing the pressure down, opening the pot, adding vegetables, sealing it back up and bringing it back up to pressure for a minute or two - it's easier to pull out the steamer and do it on the stove or in the microwave. 
    You can also cook baking potatoes or sweet potatoes very quickly.
    I haven't used the rice cooker function.
    I do use the slow cooker some of the time.  I got a glass lid so I can use that instead of the big lid - I like to be able to see what's going on in the pot.
    It's come in very handy in a few other odd situations.  The three weeks when Daddy was in the hospital and we practically lived in a hotel, it allowed us to cook sometimes instead of depending on takeout all the time.  It's also been in the travel trailer and gone to the condo at the beach.  And at Christmas last year we had three of them going at once when cooking for a crowd.
    Clean-up is very easy.
    I would recommend getting a spare seal when you purchase the pot :)

Offline NogDog

• View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: December 08, 2016, 11:24:43 am »
    What's an Instant Pot? Never heard of them.   ;)

Yes, when I saw this thread title, my first thought was some new freeze-dried product that would only be legally available in a few states. ;)

• Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #15 on: December 08, 2016, 01:03:25 pm »
    Yes, when I saw this thread title, my first thought was some new freeze-dried product that would only be legally available in a few states. ;)

;D

Offline D/W

• View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: December 08, 2016, 01:13:53 pm »
    I have the Instant Pot IP-DUO60 7-in-1 Multi-Functional Pressure Cooker, 6Qt/1000W.

I love it!!! It's, by far, my favorite kitchen appliance.

I've had mine for almost a year, and I still use it three to four days a week--sometimes multiple times a day. I haven't used the slow-cooker function yet. Some of my favorite things to pressure cook are ribs, roast, stew, soup, beans, rice, lasagne, hard-boiled eggs, spaghetti squash, yams, and potatoes (mash 'em right in the pot!). I also make yogurt every now and then. I've cooked eggs and potatoes together for potato salad--so easy! Many people use it to make cheesecake.

We're a family of two now, so we usually have lots of leftovers. The stainless steel pot is super-easy to clean.

I recently bought a second one (same model) when Amazon had them on sale for $69 on Black Friday. It'll serve as a replacement when the first one dies. I've only seen the price that low around Black Friday and Amazon Prime Day in the summer. They usually sell for around $120-$130. Check out all the glowing reviews at Amazon!

There are LOTS of online recipes and Youtube videos. I have several cookbooks, but my favorite is Bob Warden's Great Food Fast.

Facebook Instant Pot Community is a fantastic site for inspiration, and the people are very helpful there.
    A smile can make someone's day. :) Life is short. Be kind.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: December 08, 2016, 02:06:50 pm »
    We still use our IP once or twice a week.  It's very handy if you need to get something cooked quickly, even if you haven't thawed out the meat.  And it's so awesome that you can brown the meat right in the pot.  It's deep enough that DH is not able to make a huge mess.  If I want to use any vegetables other than potatoes, I still tend to cook them separately, especially things like broccoli and brussels sprouts.  We aren't very good about interrupting the cooking, bringing the pressure down, opening the pot, adding vegetables, sealing it back up and bringing it back up to pressure for a minute or two - it's easier to pull out the steamer and do it on the stove or in the microwave. 
    I do use the slow cooker some of the time.  I got a glass lid so I can use that instead of the big lid - I like to be able to see what's going on in the pot.
    It's come in very handy in a few other odd situations.  The three weeks when Daddy was in the hospital and we practically lived in a hotel, it allowed us to cook sometimes instead of depending on takeout all the time.  It's also been in the travel trailer and gone to the condo at the beach.  And at Christmas last year we had three of them going at once when cooking for a crowd.
    Clean-up is very easy.

I'll be honest. The only testimonial that resonated with me at all is the line I bolded above. ;D

Problem is, when Ed wants to cook, he's going to do it on the stove. He's a good cook . . .and almost everything he invents is delicious. But he apparently has a congenital defect that makes it impossible for him to put a spoon down on a plate vs the counter, or even the same place on the counter more than once, or to even have a CLUE if something is dripping. :o

My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

• Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #18 on: December 08, 2016, 02:45:14 pm »
    Clean-up is very easy.

And a lot of this is useful to me.  And, since Fred does the dishes, not having the browning skillet and an easier clean up sound good.  Pondering...

Betsy

Offline Tripp

• Kent, Washington
      • View Profile
      • Goodreads
    « Reply #19 on: December 08, 2016, 07:16:01 pm »
    I will add my two cents.  I got my IP during Amazon Prime Day.  I haven't used it for rice, but I have made rocking applesauce (and I am not really an applesauce fan).  I also made an even more rocking NY cheesecake.  Seriously restaurant or bakery quality.  I made the hard cooked eggs as well as potato salad (potatoes and eggs in the IP and then took them out to finish the recipe).  I plan to make yogurt when I am off for Christmas break.

If you get it, there are a lot of good IP recipe sites.  This Old Gal is one of the better ones.  And the Instant Pot Facebook group rivals this one for enabling accessories.  But the posters are also very helpful and it is well monitored.  Just like here.  I love it all.  It is like a friendly cult.   :P

You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me.
    -C. S. Lewis

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #20 on: December 09, 2016, 07:15:04 am »
    I'll be honest. The only testimonial that resonated with me at all is the line I bolded above. ;D

Problem is, when Ed wants to cook, he's going to do it on the stove. He's a good cook . . .and almost everything he invents is delicious. But he apparently has a congenital defect that makes it impossible for him to put a spoon down on a plate vs the counter, or even the same place on the counter more than once, or to even have a CLUE if something is dripping. :o

Glad I could help :)

Fixed quote formatting.  --Betsy
    « Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 10:55:06 am by Betsy the Quilter »

• Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #21 on: December 09, 2016, 10:57:01 am »
    Just read that there's a new version out of the Lux60, and it's $89.99 right now...which seems like a good price.  Is it going to go up?  Have a big sale at Christmas?  It looks like it has all the features of V2 but some added programming.  Why would it be less? Hmmm....

Instant Pot IP-LUX60 V3 Programmable Electric Pressure Cooker, 6Qt, 1000W (updated model)

What to do, what to do....

EDIT:  Someone commented there was no yogurt button?  Do I care? (I was thinking I might make yogurt...)

Betsy
    « Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 10:59:56 am by Betsy the Quilter »

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #22 on: December 09, 2016, 02:32:14 pm »
    SOme of the difference between the Duo and the Lux are, the Duo has high and low pressure cooking. Not sure what one would use low pressure on. The Duo has yogurt setting.
    The Lux has a pre-programmed cake and egg setting.
    THe Lux has keep warm to 10 hours, the Duo 99 hours.  :o

The Duo also has these things which I don't know what a fin thingy is:
    Lid Fin Holders on Base, Condensation Collector and Cord Rack, Double Anti-Block Shield

So if you don't need a yogurt maker, don't need low pressure cooking and don't need 99 hours of warm hold, the Lux is fine. I have the Duo and now I want to know where my darn fins are.

I got this all from the comparisan chart on amazon. Just scroll down a bit.

eat: I figured out what the lid fin thing is, the Duo has it. See the handles on the pot, on the Duo they have a opening so you can stick the "fin" of the lid into it, so its off the counter while you stir. I never knew I could do that and always have to find a place to put my lid. The things I learn. Didn't say in the booklet anything as far as I can tell.  :P
    « Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 02:35:20 pm by Atunah »

• Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #23 on: December 09, 2016, 02:44:09 pm »
    Thanks, Atunah.  I was comparing with the wrong model, so thanks for clarifying that I need to compare with the Duo! 

I do think I want to make yogurt (Leslie made it sound so easy in the pressure cooking thread) and I don't know what low pressure cooking is for, but I might need it!  LOL.

The keeping warm for 99 hours, though, makes me wonder...that doesn't sound healthy LOL  :o

I think I'll hold out for a sale on the Duo.

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #24 on: December 09, 2016, 03:14:41 pm »
    SOme of the difference between the Duo and the Lux are, the Duo has high and low pressure cooking. Not sure what one would use low pressure on. The Duo has yogurt setting.
    The Lux has a pre-programmed cake and egg setting.
    THe Lux has keep warm to 10 hours, the Duo 99 hours.  :o

The Duo also has these things which I don't know what a fin thingy is:
    Lid Fin Holders on Base, Condensation Collector and Cord Rack, Double Anti-Block Shield

So if you don't need a yogurt maker, don't need low pressure cooking and don't need 99 hours of warm hold, the Lux is fine. I have the Duo and now I want to know where my darn fins are.

I got this all from the comparisan chart on amazon. Just scroll down a bit.

eat: I figured out what the lid fin thing is, the Duo has it. See the handles on the pot, on the Duo they have a opening so you can stick the "fin" of the lid into it, so its off the counter while you stir. I never knew I could do that and always have to find a place to put my lid. The things I learn. Didn't say in the booklet anything as far as I can tell.  :P

Thanks for figuring out the fin thing, Atunah - who knew?  We have a cord rack???

KBoards.com

• Advertisement