Author Topic: Instant Pot (Duo currently $89; also new models available)  (Read 18140 times)  

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
  • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Instant Pot (Duo currently $89; also new models available)
« Reply #225 on: March 16, 2019, 01:41:27 pm »
I'm bringing this older thread back up for a question (I thought we had an IP recipe thread, but I didn't find one besides this).

Have any of you used your IP for traditional corned beef and cabbage?  I've been looking up some online recipes, and I'm seeing 90 minutes at high pressure with 3-4 cups of liquid.  I can't imagine needing 90 minutes for anything in the IP, but I'll go with it since that's all I'm finding unless someone has a different personal experience.

Of course the potatoes, carrots, and cabbage are cooked in the liquid after the corned beef is done for just 3-4 minutes so they don't turn to mush. That is a "normal" time. It's the 90 minutes for the meat I can't wrap my head around.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Jane917

• Ridgefield, WA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #226 on: March 17, 2019, 08:07:18 am »
    I'm bringing this older thread back up for a question (I thought we had an IP recipe thread, but I didn't find one besides this).

Have any of you used your IP for traditional corned beef and cabbage?  I've been looking up some online recipes, and I'm seeing 90 minutes at high pressure with 3-4 cups of liquid.  I can't imagine needing 90 minutes for anything in the IP, but I'll go with it since that's all I'm finding unless someone has a different personal experience.

Of course the potatoes, carrots, and cabbage are cooked in the liquid after the corned beef is done for just 3-4 minutes so they don't turn to mush. That is a "normal" time. It's the 90 minutes for the meat I can't wrap my head around.

I am not a corned beef type of person, but if I were I would go to my IP guru This Old Gal for advice. Thought I would share her recipe, which includes the option of parboiling, but not cooking anywhere near 90 minutes (though 65 minutes still sounds like a lot.

https://thisoldgal.com/pressure-cooker-new-england-boiled-dinner/
    Words with Friends: Jane917

(Make your own reading bar)

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #227 on: March 17, 2019, 08:41:06 am »
    Thanks, Jane.

eta:  And of course this afternoon I found the actual IP Recipes thread just a little further down the NQK page  ::)  So here is that link for any other blind/search challenged persons to add to: https://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,303587.0.html    :D
    « Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 11:19:26 am by crebel »

Offline anguabell

• View Profile
      • Goodreads
    « Reply #228 on: March 17, 2019, 01:09:59 pm »
    I just made corned beef in my Instant Pot and 90 minutes for 2.7 pounds were just right. We only cooked the meat, no vegetables. 1 bottle of beer, 1 1/2 cups of water, onion, garlic. It was absolutely delicious.

Strangely enough, my only complete "fail" with Instant Pot was rice. I still prefer my stovetop cooking method so that I can have it completely under control. I guess I need to experiment with it a bit more  :)

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #229 on: March 17, 2019, 01:45:51 pm »
    I just made corned beef in my Instant Pot and 90 minutes for 2.7 pounds were just right. We only cooked the meat, no vegetables. 1 bottle of beer, 1 1/2 cups of water, onion, garlic. It was absolutely delicious.

Strangely enough, my only complete "fail" with Instant Pot was rice. I still prefer my stovetop cooking method so that I can have it completely under control. I guess I need to experiment with it a bit more  :)

That's pretty much what I ended up doing, 90 minutes with beer and beef broth.  It really was fall apart tender and delicious.  Since the broth in the pot was already hot after I took the meat out, it didn't take long to come back to pressure to cook cabbage, potatoes, and carrots for 3 minutes.  They were perfect as well.

The rice setting is the only thing I have not tried with the IP.  If we want rice, it seems the meal we want it with is cooking in the IP so I still pull out my trusty rice cooker and things are done at the same time. 

Offline MichelleB675

• View Profile
    « Reply #230 on: March 22, 2019, 08:42:31 am »
    I think I'm finally ready to get an Instant Pot. I have a crockpot, but don't use it too often, mainly for beef roast, corned beef or homemade marinara. But by the time it gets done, I'm sick of smelling it lol. So I figured maybe it was time for IP.

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #231 on: March 22, 2019, 08:52:00 am »
    I think I'm finally ready to get an Instant Pot. I have a crockpot, but don't use it too often, mainly for beef roast, corned beef or homemade marinara. But by the time it gets done, I'm sick of smelling it lol. So I figured maybe it was time for IP.

If I had to pare down to only one kitchen appliance, the Instant Pot is what I would keep.  I think you'll love it.

Offline MichelleB675

• View Profile
    « Reply #232 on: March 22, 2019, 12:00:22 pm »
    Every other time I've considered it,  I have talked myself out of it, but this time I've already moved the crockpot to make room for it. I may not use it any more often, but at least I'll have roasts a lot faster, which may make me fix them more often.

Offline MichelleB675

• View Profile
    « Reply #233 on: March 23, 2019, 04:24:25 pm »
    I brought home my Instant Pot today. the Viva 9 in 1 8qt. Got it at Sam's Club, they had a tech sale so it was $99.

I also found a Fat Daddio 8 inch cheesecake pan at HomeGoods for $7.99, I have the 10 inch, but wanted the 8 to use in the IP. And got some dried chickpeas to cook in the IP so I can make hummus.

It's sad that I already have a bunch of accessories on my wishlist.

And I know you guys have probably heard that a million times from other IP newbies lol.

Offline anguabell

• View Profile
      • Goodreads
    « Reply #234 on: March 24, 2019, 10:09:30 am »
    I brought home my Instant Pot today. the Viva 9 in 1 8qt. Got it at Sam's Club, they had a tech sale so it was $99.

I also found a Fat Daddio 8 inch cheesecake pan at HomeGoods for $7.99, I have the 10 inch, but wanted the 8 to use in the IP. And got some dried chickpeas to cook in the IP so I can make hummus.

It's sad that I already have a bunch of accessories on my wishlist.

And I know you guys have probably heard that a million times from other IP newbies lol.

I have had mine for only a month so yes...lots of accessories on the wishlist :) The one I found really important are extra silicone sealing rings. They tend to absorb smells a lot. I detest anything with silicon for this reason but I got a pack of 3, each a different color, and it is really helpful. Happy cooking!

Offline MichelleB675

• View Profile
    « Reply #235 on: March 24, 2019, 10:24:29 am »
    Those were the first thing on the wishlist. Though I may try this as well -

Deodorizing The Sealing Ring (As Needed)
    If your sealing ring has taken on any funky food smells, you can deodorize it by doing a vinegar steam clean right in your Instant Pot. Fill the inner pot with 1 cup of water, 1 cup of vinegar, and a few lemon peels. Run the Instant Pot on the Steam setting for 2 minutes, then let the pressure release naturally. When the Instant Pot unlocks, remove the sealing ring from the lid and let it air dry.

I want to try some butter chicken in there eventually.

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #236 on: March 25, 2019, 07:07:33 am »
    The other thing about the sealing ring - it's good to have a backup because you won't discover that yours is bad until you have all your stuff in the pot and then it won't come up to pressure...  That seems to be the most common complaint/solution about the IP.

Offline MichelleB675

• View Profile
    « Reply #237 on: March 25, 2019, 07:12:03 am »
    I ordered the sealing rings last night, along with a mesh basket, 7x4 pan for pot in pot stuff, oxo silicone sling and a red quilted cover.

Washed the pot this morning and did the water test.

Offline MichelleB675

• View Profile
    « Reply #238 on: March 25, 2019, 12:39:26 pm »
    I made hummus! Sooo yummy!

I rinsed the chickpeas and put them in the IP, with 6 cups of water and 1 tsp kosher salt. The directions I used said 22 minutes high pressure and 20 minute NPR. They weren't quite done after that so I did another 10 minutes HP with quick release. They were very soft, so 5 would have probably been perfect, but since i was making hummus with them anyway it didn't really matter.

I divided the chickpeas and put 2 parts in freezer bags and let cool, then put in the freezer to make more hummus later. The other, I of course made the hummus with. I used Molly Yeh's (Girl Meets Farm Food Network/My Name is Yeh blog) hummus recipe. It is really good.

Offline anguabell

• View Profile
      • Goodreads
    « Reply #239 on: March 25, 2019, 04:01:04 pm »
    I made hummus! Sooo yummy!

I rinsed the chickpeas and put them in the IP, with 6 cups of water and 1 tsp kosher salt. The directions I used said 22 minutes high pressure and 20 minute NPR. They weren't quite done after that so I did another 10 minutes HP with quick release. They were very soft, so 5 would have probably been perfect, but since i was making hummus with them anyway it didn't really matter.

I divided the chickpeas and put 2 parts in freezer bags and let cool, then put in the freezer to make more hummus later. The other, I of course made the hummus with. I used Molly Yeh's (Girl Meets Farm Food Network/My Name is Yeh blog) hummus recipe. It is really good.

This sounds great! Molly has so many intriguing recipes. I made split peas the other day and the creamy texture was amazing.

Offline MichelleB675

• View Profile
    « Reply #240 on: March 31, 2019, 06:02:24 am »
    I'm using my IP for dinner today. I'm making Mississippi Pot Roast. I didn't want to use the packets, too much salt. So first I searched for DIY recipes for those, and found them. Already had a DIY ranch dressing mix that I love. But then I discovered Amy+Jacky's recipe for the roast, so that's the one I'm going to use today.

I plan to make yogurt one day this week. The Frieda Loves Bread cold start method with Fairlife milk.

I'm going to attempt cottage cheese for my mom. It's not true cottage cheese since it doesn't use a culture but more like paneer or queso fresco I suppose.. but more creamy.

And then when I get the remaining ingredients that I need I want to make lasagna. Another Amy+Jacky recipe. I like the idea of making a small one and their recipe sounds yummy. Though I may switch that one to a full oven bake after I make it once in the IP. I want to make homemade ricotta for that as well.

Offline MichelleB675

• View Profile
    « Reply #241 on: April 30, 2019, 09:20:54 am »

Duo Mini 3qt on sale for $47.99 today.

Guess who just ordered one ;)

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #242 on: April 30, 2019, 11:25:49 am »
    Tempting, tempting, tempting.  I've been thinking of replacing my old rice cooker with a newer model because I still use it all the time while fixing something in the 6-quart IP and they are ready at the same time. 

It would make more sense to get the mini-IP (it can still do up to 12C of cooked rice!) and also have it available any time I want to cook 2 different things at the same time or instead of the big one for smaller quantities.

You may have enabled me ...

Offline CegAbq

• Albuquerque, NM
      • View Profile
    « Reply #243 on: April 30, 2019, 10:29:11 pm »
    Tempting, tempting, tempting.  I've been thinking of replacing my old rice cooker with a newer model because I still use it all the time while fixing something in the 6-quart IP and they are ready at the same time. 

It would make more sense to get the mini-IP (it can still do up to 12C of cooked rice!) and also have it available any time I want to cook 2 different things at the same time or instead of the big one for smaller quantities.

You may have enabled me ...

My experience with using the IP for cooking rice: not so great
    Quite a few years ago a friend told me "good grief" you can cook rice before any meal is done. And I developed the technique. Here in high altitude New Mexico, my technique has been to put on a pot of rice, 2 cups rice + 3.75 cups water, when comes to boil, reduce heat to simmer & cook for 25 minutes ... and yes, if I did that at the beginning of my meal prep (even when just reheating frozen left-overs) the rice was done by the time the rest of dinner was ready. And THIS rice is NOT STICKY.

Then I kept reading about IP rice & how quick it was. One article claimed that IP rice was so much better & quicker than his $150.00+++ fancy rice cooker. So I gave it a try.
    The recipes/instructions talk about how you only have to cook a batch for 4 minutes, proportion of 1:1 (not 2:3.75), and only 10 min of NR.
    WELL .... at 6000 ft altitude, it took 14 minutes to come to pressure, 4 minutes to cook, 10 minutes to release, and the rice was extremely sticky ...
    So 28 minutes for sticky rice & the entire IP has to be cleaned.

NOPE, NOPE, NOPE ... never going to cook rice in my IP ever again ... doesn't work for me!
    Carol in 'burque

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to Skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and shouting: Damn-What a ride!

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #244 on: May 01, 2019, 05:21:01 am »
    Interesting,CegAbq, as I have had better luck cooking rice in my IP, than any other method. I was never happy cooking it on the stovetop. I always had it stick to the bottom of the pan. I used a steamer before the IP came along, but wasn't always pleased with the way it turned out. I do prefer a 1:1.5 ratio in the IP, use the rice setting and a quick release. I love being able to cook the rice in the 3 qt model while doing the rest of the entree in the 6 qt. It's nice to set it and forget it. Looking back at the days we lived in higher altitude in Reno, though, I can see the altitude making a difference.
    « Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 05:27:43 am by loonlover »

Offline MichelleB675

• View Profile
    « Reply #245 on: May 01, 2019, 06:56:24 am »
    I've made jasmine rice in mine 2 or 3 times and it turned out well. And brown rice once, but that was cooked with frozen chicken and dried black beans, it was perfect.
    I have noticed on the Facebook group that people with questions will get around a hundred answers and most of them are different from each other, so I guess we just have to experiment to find our perfect results.

I still need to get boiled eggs perfected. 5-5-5 is too much for me. I end up with a slight gray green ring around the yolk. Next time I'll try 4-4-4. I may try 5-5-5 on a couple of eggs in the 3 qt when it arrives just to compare with the 8 qt.

The pasta recipes I have tried I need to remember to adjust the time down a minute or so because I want a little bit of bite. It isn't overcooked but it's not al dente either.

Other than that everything has been great.  Instant Pot isn't instant, and it isn't always faster and easier than other methods, but so far it does what I want it to and it has lived up to what I bought it for.. tender roasts that don't take all day or heat up the whole house. The rest of the features are a bonus. Especially spaghetti, only one pot to clean, no waiting for water to boil and it turned out awesome.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement