Author Topic: Instant Pot (Duo currently $89; also new models available)  (Read 18143 times)  

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey.
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
Re: Instant Pot (on sale $99, see latest post!)
« Reply #75 on: December 17, 2016, 05:56:39 pm »
This is the steamer I have, in the pot and out of it:

Tripp made me realize that it's available on Amazon!  (I bought it at my favorite kitchen store...sadly no longer open.)

Dreamfarm Vebo 7-Inch Vegetable Steam Strainer, Blue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 11:32:40 am by Betsy the Quilter »
Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX    KB Member #72
Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline HappyGuy

• Central FL
    • With God, nothing is enough for anything.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #76 on: December 18, 2016, 07:04:53 am »
    I have this one. There are just two of so this works most times: https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Stainless-Steamer-Extendable-Handle/dp/B000HCBDF2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1482073102&sr=8-1&keywords=oxo+steamer+basket

However, I've read where many people get this and remove the handles.Thinking of getting  one for when I need a larger basket:
    "From the lips of infants and children you have ordained praise..." Psalms 8:2

Member 342

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
    • Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #77 on: December 18, 2016, 08:49:48 am »
    I ordered the mesh basket Happy Guy posted, currently $15

The price on that one seems to fluctuate quite a bit; I swear it was $25 when I first looked at it when I started this thread; it was $11.99 on the 16th when I ordered it, now $15.  So if that's the one you want, keep an eye on it.

Many people also have this one, currently $9.96.  I don't know how much the price fluctuates, but I think it's been about $10 every time I've checked it.

U.S. Kitchen Supply 3 Quart Stainless Steel Mesh Net Strainer Basket with a Wide Rim, Resting Feet and Handles - Colander to Strain, Rinse, Fry, Steam or Cook Vegetables & Pasta

I didn't order it as a steamer, though it certainly can be used that way, and perhaps I will.  I ordered it so that when I do things like make broth, or other items where I'm going to want to remove the big bits and leave behind the liquid for the next stage, it'll be easy to do so.

People snap the handles off, apparently, as Happy Guy said.

Betsy
    « Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 08:55:13 am by Betsy the Quilter »

Offline Tripp

• Kent, Washington
      • View Profile
      • Goodreads
    « Reply #78 on: December 18, 2016, 11:25:51 am »
    I have used the steamer basket much like the OXO one that Happy Guy linked to and it works just fine...Though I have just added the Dreamfarm basket to my Amazon Wish List as I like the looks of that.  I like the handles and how it fits in the pot.

Betsy, how did the water test go?  You should try making hard cooked eggs next (if you like them that is).

(Make your own reading bar)

You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me.
    -C. S. Lewis

• Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #79 on: December 18, 2016, 11:36:47 am »
    I have used the steamer basket much like the OXO one that Happy Guy linked to and it works just fine...Though I have just added the Dreamfarm basket to my Amazon Wish List as I like the looks of that.  I like the handles and how it fits in the pot.

Betsy, how did the water test go?  You should try making hard cooked eggs next (if you like them that is).

Love my Dreamfarm, Tripp, thanks for letting me know it's available on Amazon, I added the link to my post.  Hubby likes it because it squishes into wherever there is room in the dishwasher, LOL.

The water test went fine.  I learned a lot.  I'll definitely try hard cooked eggs, love them.  But I'm doing a pot roast tonight for dinner in it.

And, I found a place to store it in my kitchen, so that's good.  I was worried for a bit. :D

If anyone has a pot roast recipe they love, let me know!

Betsy

(Adding link to my steamer here too so folks don't have to search)

Dreamfarm Vebo 7-Inch Vegetable Steam Strainer, Blue
    « Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 11:55:15 am by Betsy the Quilter »

Offline CegAbq

• Albuquerque, NM
      • View Profile
    « Reply #80 on: December 18, 2016, 11:48:59 am »
    Love my Dreamfarm, Tripp, thanks for letting me know it's available on Amazon, I added the link to my post.  Hubby likes it because it squishes into wherever there is room in the dishwasher, LOL.
    If anyone has a pot roast recipe they love, let me know!

Betsy
    Thanks for the link, I was trying, without success, to find it.
    And, ditto, on the pot roast recipe - I'm looking for one as well.
    Carol in 'burque

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to Skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and shouting: Damn-What a ride!

Offline Tripp

• Kent, Washington
      • View Profile
      • Goodreads
    « Reply #81 on: December 18, 2016, 12:40:32 pm »
    Glad I found it and sorry I didn't do that post myself.  I am technically challenged so sometimes it takes me awhile.

I have not done a pot-roast yet but it is on my list of to do recipes.  A lot of people seem to love the Mississippi Pot Roast.  It has Ranch packaged dressing and pepperocini peppers.  I cannot tell you if it is good or not as I have yet to try it. 
    One thing to remember, if you cook a pot roast, make sure you let it NR (natural release) for 10 to 20 minutes as I read that QR (quick release) will guarantee a tough piece of meat.  Again, I cannot confirm but it makes sense to me.  Whatever you make will be great I am sure.

-C. S. Lewis

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #82 on: December 18, 2016, 01:15:32 pm »
    I usually just throw in what I have around for a pot roast. Unless I am making a very specific kind. Reminds me, i want to try a german sauerbraten, sour roast in it one of these days.

I just make sure to have at least 1 cup of water for the cooking. I use a variety of root veggies, parsnips, carrots, turnips, whatever I have. Onions, garlic. Some bayleaf peppercorns. maybe some worshester (sp). I do use juniper berries, my mom used that a lot in stew type things so I continue to do so. Parsley, I must have parsley in lots of stuff, but I grow that in containers. Thyme, rosemary. Just what I feel like.

I have been know to use red wine after the browning, before the pressure cooking. I have some specific recipes somewhere. I never use any packaged stuff for any of my cooking, always make my own things.

• Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #83 on: December 18, 2016, 01:21:55 pm »
    I usually just throw in what I have around for a pot roast. Unless I am making a very specific kind. Reminds me, i want to try a german sauerbraten, sour roast in it one of these days.

I just make sure to have at least 1 cup of water for the cooking. I use a variety of root veggies, parsnips, carrots, turnips, whatever I have. Onions, garlic. Some bayleaf peppercorns. maybe some worshester (sp). I do use juniper berries, my mom used that a lot in stew type things so I continue to do so. Parsley, I must have parsley in lots of stuff, but I grow that in containers. Thyme, rosemary. Just what I feel like.

I have been know to use red wine after the browning, before the pressure cooking. I have some specific recipes somewhere. I never use any packaged stuff for any of my cooking, always make my own things.

How long do you cook it for, Atunah?

Betsy

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #84 on: December 18, 2016, 01:26:50 pm »
    How long do you cook it for, Atunah?

Betsy
    I used the time chart from this site
    http://www.hippressurecooking.com/pressure-cooking-times/
    so per inch 25 minutes. I think mine are usually like 1.5 inches to 2 inches thick and 2-3 lbs. Its how my store sells them. I did a 40 minute and just let it come down naturally. For a thinner 2 pounder I think I did 35 minutes.

• Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #85 on: December 18, 2016, 02:18:36 pm »
    I used the time chart from this site
    http://www.hippressurecooking.com/pressure-cooking-times/
    so per inch 25 minutes. I think mine are usually like 1.5 inches to 2 inches thick and 2-3 lbs. Its how my store sells them. I did a 40 minute and just let it come down naturally. For a thinner 2 pounder I think I did 35 minutes.

Okay, I browned it, seasoned it, deglazed the pan (a bit of balsamic vinegar and broth and scraped up the brown bits) then threw (well, placed) the beef in with some onion and a bay leaf and Worcester sauce.  Put it on 45 manual (mine was a little thicker).  Is that right?  *panic sets in*

Betsy

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #86 on: December 18, 2016, 02:21:22 pm »
    Okay, I browned it, seasoned it, deglazed the pan (a bit of balsamic vinegar and broth and scraped up the brown bits) then threw (well, placed) the beef in with some onion and a bay leaf and Worcester sauce.  Put it on 45 manual (mine was a little thicker).  Is that right?  *panic sets in*

Betsy
    I think you should be just fine. I mean really, if you ever feel like its not quite done, no matter what. Quickly put the lid back on and set it again for a few minutes. I think 45 should be plenty though. I had to set it again before with frozen ckicken breasts. They weren't quite done in the middle so I set it again for like 6 minutes. If you work quick then it comes to pressure pretty fast again. Should be fine really.

I think I have a few panic posts here from when I first got mine. Now I am like an old pro.  ;D

Offline CegAbq

• Albuquerque, NM
      • View Profile
    « Reply #87 on: December 18, 2016, 02:27:41 pm »
    ... A lot of people seem to love the Mississippi Pot Roast.  It has Ranch packaged dressing and pepperocini peppers.  I cannot tell you if it is good or not as I have yet to try it.  ...

I had seen this recipe a few weeks ago from the New York Times & had bookmarked it to try for the future. Maybe with my new InstaPot I'll give it a go.
    Carol in 'burque

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to Skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and shouting: Damn-What a ride!

Offline Tripp

• Kent, Washington
      • View Profile
      • Goodreads
    « Reply #88 on: December 18, 2016, 02:36:40 pm »
    I had seen this recipe a few weeks ago from the New York Times & had bookmarked it to try for the future. Maybe with my new InstaPot I'll give it a go.

Let me know how you like this.  It is on my short list.  FYI,  here is a link to homemade Ranch mix.  http://damndelicious.net/2016/04/03/diy-homemade-ranch-seasoning-mix/   I may try this and see if it works.

-C. S. Lewis

• Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #89 on: December 18, 2016, 02:50:31 pm »

That sounds good!  Saved it to my recipe app....

Betsy

Offline CegAbq

• Albuquerque, NM
      • View Profile
    « Reply #90 on: December 18, 2016, 03:00:15 pm »
    Let me know how you like this.  It is on my short list.  FYI,  here is a link to homemade Ranch mix.  http://damndelicious.net/2016/04/03/diy-homemade-ranch-seasoning-mix/   I may try this and see if it works.
    Thanks for the DIY recipe. I'm always interested in those.

But the Mississippi roast recipe does not actually use a packet of Ranch dressing; it provides the ingredients it deems necessary  :D
    « Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 03:05:20 pm by CegAbq »
    Carol in 'burque

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #91 on: December 18, 2016, 03:02:45 pm »
    I made a folder in my bookmarks bar for stuff I find that ends up being good. I have made some repeat recipes.

I made chicken makhani the other day, indian butter chicken. That is one I pulled out of my slow cooker cook book. I just adjust them to the pressure cooker. I also made hawaiian pork again. That is so easy in the pressure cooker. And so cheap too. For that I just cut the pork butt/shoulder in some smaller chunks. Say I have a 3-4 pounder, I make it into 4 large pieces, fry them up a bit and then I use 1 TB of liquid smoke flavor and 3/4 ts of salt per pound. I use the red hawaiian salt. I set that to 90 minutes and walk away. I serve with pineapple, tortilla, advocado, etc.

• Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #92 on: December 18, 2016, 03:26:26 pm »
    So one place I read that when taking the lid off and then restarting, one should cool off the lid and make sure it's clean before putting the lid back on.  Or something.

Do y'all do that?

Betsy

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #93 on: December 18, 2016, 03:29:48 pm »
    So one place I read that when taking the lid off and then restarting, one should cool off the lid and make sure it's clean before putting the lid back on.  Or something.

Do y'all do that?

Betsy
    Nope. I just put it right back on. In fact many recipes have the veggies going in at the end for another 10 minutes so they don't turn into mush after cooking the meat and they always say to work fast so you keep the heat in the pot and get to pressure fast. I just pour out the liquid that is in the lid first that accumulates.

• Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #94 on: December 18, 2016, 03:59:00 pm »
    Nope. I just put it right back on. In fact many recipes have the veggies going in at the end for another 10 minutes so they don't turn into mush after cooking the meat and they always say to work fast so you keep the heat in the pot and get to pressure fast. I just pour out the liquid that is in the lid first that accumulates.

Yay, like that.  I'm really, really lazy.

Betsy

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
      • View Profile
    « Reply #95 on: December 18, 2016, 04:13:03 pm »

Ditto

I made a folder in my bookmarks bar for stuff I find that ends up being good. I have made some repeat recipes.

I made chicken makhani the other day, indian butter chicken. That is one I pulled out of my slow cooker cook book. I just adjust them to the pressure cooker. I also made hawaiian pork again. That is so easy in the pressure cooker. And so cheap too. For that I just cut the pork butt/shoulder in some smaller chunks. Say I have a 3-4 pounder, I make it into 4 large pieces, fry them up a bit and then I use 1 TB of liquid smoke flavor and 3/4 ts of salt per pound. I use the red hawaiian salt. I set that to 90 minutes and walk away. I serve with pineapple, tortilla, advocado, etc.

I've done Indian butter chicken several times, both with my own sauce and a jarred sauce.  Love it, one of my favorites.  This is one where I start my rice cooker at the same time I start the Instant Pot and they end up done at the same time.  What recipe are you using, Atunah?

Offline CegAbq

• Albuquerque, NM
      • View Profile
    « Reply #96 on: December 18, 2016, 04:23:28 pm »
    I've done Indian butter chicken several times, both with my own sauce and a jarred sauce.  Love it, one of my favorites.  This is one where I start my rice cooker at the same time I start the Instant Pot and they end up done at the same time.  What recipe are you using, Atunah?
    Oooo yummy sounding .... yes please share/link the recipe!
    Carol in 'burque

• Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #97 on: December 18, 2016, 04:36:25 pm »
    Pot roast very tender, eating dinner now!

Betsy

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #98 on: December 18, 2016, 05:25:09 pm »
    Its in a book I have, I'll type it up tomorrow for all. Its yummy. I have changed some of the stuff in it so I'll give some subs for it as I make my own indian spice mixes.

Pot roast very tender, eating dinner now!

Betsy

Yay, love it tender.  ;D

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #99 on: December 18, 2016, 07:04:04 pm »
    Back to the steamer question... I actually have a stainless steel colander set and the small one fits in the IP just right. We have also been known to wrap chopped potatoes etc in a foil packet and put it on top of whatever meat we are fixing.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement