Author Topic: John Glenn dies at age 95  (Read 1145 times)  

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey.
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
John Glenn dies at age 95
« on: December 08, 2016, 12:36:16 pm »
Just heard....😢
Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX    KB Member #72
Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Online crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
      • View Profile
    Re: John Glenn dies at age 95
    « Reply #1 on: December 08, 2016, 12:39:07 pm »
    God speed, John Glenn.

:(

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
    • Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #2 on: December 08, 2016, 12:48:39 pm »
    As a friend of mine just said, a hero's hero.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38257445

Betsy

Offline Gertie Kindle

• View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: December 08, 2016, 12:57:03 pm »
    As a friend of mine just said, a hero's hero.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38257445

Betsy

He certainly had his ups and downs, but you're friend is right. A hero is a hero.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: December 08, 2016, 02:00:58 pm »
    I saw a report yesterday that he had been admitted to the hospital, so when I saw the news on my FB feed this afternoon I wasn't completely surprised.

And Buzz Aldrin is ill as well . . . he had to be evacuated from Antartica a few days ago. He's 86; haven't heard what his issues are specifically.

Also Greg Lake of Emerson, Lake and Palmer died today. He was 69.
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline *DrDLN* (dr.s.dhillon)

• Mtn House, CA
    • Self-help and Spiritual Living
      • View Profile
      • "HEALTH and LOVE is your birth-right" Series
    « Reply #5 on: December 08, 2016, 07:25:29 pm »
    RIP JG. What a wonderful and adventurous life you lived and made us proud...

Offline NapCat (retired)

• Lighthouse Ranch, Nevada
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: December 09, 2016, 03:31:16 am »
    'da NapCat

Thousands of years ago, cats were worshiped as gods...They have never forgotten this !!

Offline JRTomlin

• Leaving the forum
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: December 10, 2016, 10:15:03 am »
    An amazing man and earth's loss.

I do not accept the Terms of Service which were instituted without notification. I do not consent to VerticalScope reproducing content I posted on this forum in any newsletter, website, or another forum. I've requested account deletion; however, the owners of this forum REFUSE to delete my content. Further, I repudiate any association with ads that are sexist, racist, and demeaning to women which are now appearing on this site.

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Card-carrying melodrama villain
      • View Profile
      • All about me....<hee hee>
    « Reply #8 on: December 11, 2016, 04:19:23 am »
    I am too young to remember Glenn's original orbital flight. But I practiced a lot of early reading on a book that had a biography of him, so he certainly was one of my childhood heroes. It was sad that he was taking out of space by a stupid bathroom accident, but great that he managed to return in his old age. A small part of my childhood is now gone.
    "Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."  - Albert Einstein

• Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #9 on: December 11, 2016, 04:49:58 am »
    I am too young to remember Glenn's original orbital flight.

Ah,  you're such a baby.  I was seven and remember, though not with specificity, the excitement and kind of remember the suspense while it was happening.

But I practiced a lot of early reading on a book that had a biography of him, so he certainly was one of my childhood heroes. It was sad that he was taking out of space by a stupid bathroom accident, but great that he managed to return in his old age. A small part of my childhood is now gone.

My understanding was that he became such a hero that Kennedy administration and NASA wouldn't let him fly again for fear that something would happen and kill the space program?

I thought it was wonderful that he went back to space at age 77.  Never give up on your dreams!

Betsy

Offline The Hooded Claw

• View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: December 11, 2016, 05:14:11 am »
    My understanding was that he became such a hero that Kennedy administration and NASA wouldn't let him fly again for fear that something would happen and kill the space program?

Betsy

Google "John Glenn bathroom" and you'll find that he slipped on a bathroom rug and had a concussion and inner ear damage. It is always possible I suppose that the doctors were pressured to be more concerned Than the injury actually warranted!

Remember being vaguely aware of the space program earlier, and fascinated by it, but my first memory of a specific space event is the spacewalk from Gemini..
    "Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."  - Albert Einstein

• Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #11 on: December 11, 2016, 05:31:41 am »
    Liked this, from the NYTimes obit
    http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/08/us/john-glenn-dies.html...

In 2012, about a week before the 50th anniversary of the Friendship 7 flight, a reporter found the 90-year-old Mr. Glenn in full voice and clear mind, but regretting that he had sold his airplane the month before. Their aging knees had made it difficult for him and his wife to climb on the wing to get into the cabin of their twin-engine Beechcraft Baron. For years they had flown it on vacations and back and forth to Washington. Though his airplane was gone, Mr. Glenn was pleased to say several times that he still had a valid pilot's license.

Google "John Glenn bathroom" and you'll find that he slipped on a bathroom rug and had a concussion and inner ear damage. It is always possible I suppose that the doctors were pressured to be more concerned Than the injury actually warranted!

Was poking round on the 'Net...it looks like the accident happened in 1964 and he had already resigned from the space program and was running for office though he was still in the Marines?

From Wikipedia:

However, he became "so valuable to the nation as an iconic figure," said NASA administrator Charles Bolden, that Kennedy would not "risk putting him back in space again."[41]. <--Wiki footnote to
    <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cj6EkDzO1aA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cj6EkDzO1aA</a>

And

He resigned from NASA on January 16, 1964, and the next day announced his candidacy as a Democrat for the U.S. Senate from his home state of Ohio. On February 26, 1964, Glenn suffered a concussion from a slip and fall against a bathtub; this led him to withdraw from the race on March 30.[44][45] Glenn then went on convalescent leave from the Marine Corps until he could make a full recovery, necessary for his retirement from the Marines. He retired on January 1, 1965, as a colonel and entered the business world as an executive for Royal Crown Cola.[28]

Offline The Hooded Claw

• View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: December 11, 2016, 05:43:27 am »
    Ha, nanny software on the cruise ship Wi-Fi blocked your YouTube video. But interesting, I didn't remember all those details.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: December 11, 2016, 05:43:59 am »
    Ah,  you're such a baby.  I was seven and remember, though not with specificity, the excitement and kind of remember the suspense while it was happening.

I'm an infant like Claw -- no real memory of Mercury, but I definitely remember the Apollo missions -- though fuzzy on 11 in terms of realizing at all how scary it was at the time. We had a cardboard model of the Lunar Module hanging from the lamp in our kitchen from 1969 onward. The 'rents would have put it back when they re-did the kitchen in the late 80s, but at that point the only thing holding it together was insect spit and bacon grease. :o

That's what I heard as well . . . they wanted to use him for publicity to keep the funding coming and the national interest high. He would have loved to go back but they didn't want to risk him a second time.

I thought it was wonderful that he went back to space at age 77.  Never give up on your dreams!

Betsy

Yep. Pretty awesome. ;D Buzz Aldrin wants to go to Mars . . . . he's 86, though, and just visiting Antarctica, it turns out, was a bit of a trial for him. :(
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline deckard

• View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: December 11, 2016, 06:55:05 am »
    I was seven and remember, though not with specificity, the excitement and kind of remember the suspense while it was happening.

Betsy

Back in 1959 my parents moved to Florida and my father worked at Cape Kennedy (then it was Cape Canaveral) starting in 1960. My brother and I grew up surrounded by people who worked at the Cape and saw the space shots until 1969 when I went in the Navy.

Such an exciting time to be a teenager living there.

And heroes they were.

Deckard

• Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #15 on: December 11, 2016, 07:05:41 am »
    Back in 1959 my parents moved to Florida and my father worked at Cape Kennedy (then it was Cape Canaveral) starting in 1960. My brother and I grew up surrounded by people who worked at the Cape and saw the space shots until 1969 when I went in the Navy.

Such an exciting time to be a teenager living there.

And heroes they were.

Deckard

How cool is that.  What an amazing experience to have.

Betsy

Offline Vinny OHare

• New York City
      • View Profile
      • Awesomegang
    « Reply #16 on: December 11, 2016, 07:18:27 am »
    He was a true American hero not only once but twice for his work in the Senate. RIP

KBoards.com

• Advertisement