Author Topic: Those KDP reminders  (Read 763 times)  

Offline GeneDoucette

• View Profile
    • Gene Doucette's Blog
Those KDP reminders
« on: December 09, 2016, 07:03:53 am »
My new book comes out on the 13th(!). It's been in pre-orders for seven weeks and I uploaded the final draft about four weeks ago. Once a week, Amazon sends me a nice email saying to make sure the final draft is uploaded, and I've seen this email often enough that i'm starting to go "but wait, what if the final draft isn't uploaded? What if they added the 'draft' button again? What if they lost the file? WHAT IF ALL THE THINGS?"

I'm not panicking, you're panicking. Shut up.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline PermaStudent

• Be so good they can't ignore you. --Steve Martin
      • View Profile
    Re: Those KDP reminders
    « Reply #1 on: December 09, 2016, 07:15:10 am »
    I've got one coming out in the next week, too.  And you're not alone in your paranoia--those reminders made me look.  Twice.   ;D
      I write urban fantasy.  There are girls in gowns and glowy hands on my covers.

Offline Amanda M. Lee

• Listen to me, you will.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: December 09, 2016, 07:18:59 am »
    I never upload anything besides the final draft so I don't generally worry.

Amanda M. Lee

Offline GeneDoucette

• View Profile
      • Gene Doucette's Blog
    « Reply #3 on: December 09, 2016, 07:24:17 am »

Yep. I might start doing that. I did want to get the preorders started though.

Offline PermaStudent

• Be so good they can't ignore you. --Steve Martin
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: December 09, 2016, 07:40:49 am »

I generally don't either (final or needing last pass edit), but like Gene said, WHAT IF ALL THE THINGS?  Was there a box I missed in the new interface I needed to check indicating final draft?  What the...they're reminding me again.  What did I miss...?!

They've got me trained like Pavlov's dog.  When they send an email "reminder," I screwed up, and I need to fix it.  That's just me, crossing the line into neuroticism as I adjust to the new normal.
      I write urban fantasy.  There are girls in gowns and glowy hands on my covers.

Offline Saturday's Child

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: December 09, 2016, 08:32:19 am »
    I have a question. If you get set up a preorder, does everything for your product page populate before it goes live? For instance, will the description, look inside sample, etc show up ahead of time? I'm thinking of doing a preorder just so I can make sure everything looks good ahead of time on the product page (and get the paperback tied to the ebook). I figure I do that AND run the epub through kindle gen (and view it on my kindle fire and ereader) AND look through the preview created when you upload the book to KDP, I have the best chance of making sure everything is ready before the release date. I had problems with my last release and want to avoid that this time.

Offline GeneDoucette

• View Profile
      • Gene Doucette's Blog
    « Reply #6 on: December 09, 2016, 08:59:25 am »
    I have a question. If you get set up a preorder, does everything for your product page populate before it goes live? For instance, will the description, look inside sample, etc show up ahead of time? I'm thinking of doing a preorder just so I can make sure everything looks good ahead of time on the product page (and get the paperback tied to the ebook). I figure I do that AND run the epub through kindle gen (and view it on my kindle fire and ereader) AND look through the preview created when you upload the book to KDP, I have the best chance of making sure everything is ready before the release date. I had problems with my last release and want to avoid that this time.

As RBN said, everything but the look inside. Here's what mine looks like: https://www.amazon.com/Immortal-Island-Impossible-Things-Book-ebook/dp/B01MCX1K7S/ref=sr_1_4?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1481302716&sr=1-4&keywords=gene+doucette+immortal

Offline Saturday's Child

• View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: December 09, 2016, 10:32:47 am »
    Thanks for the info GeneDoucette and RBN. I hate rolling the dice like that. With my last release, Amazon changed my Chapter One ToC link in my Look Inside sample. They made it point to the book's product page. :o It even opened a new window. That definitely wasn't in my epub (I checked)! When I republished (the exact same epub) it fixed the problem, but I just don't trust Amazon to render my epub perfectly the first time. If they're going to push something out to readers, I want a chance to approve it first.  :(
    « Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 10:48:05 am by Saturday's Child »

Offline GeneDoucette

• View Profile
      • Gene Doucette's Blog
    « Reply #8 on: December 09, 2016, 11:18:17 am »
    Thanks for the info GeneDoucette and RBN. I hate rolling the dice like that. With my last release, Amazon changed my Chapter One ToC link in my Look Inside sample. They made it point to the book's product page. :o It even opened a new window. That definitely wasn't in my epub (I checked)! When I republished (the exact same epub) it fixed the problem, but I just don't trust Amazon to render my epub perfectly the first time. If they're going to push something out to readers, I want a chance to approve it first.  :(

I use Vellum. It goes in as .mobi and Amazon doesn't really mess with it.

Offline Saturday's Child

• View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: December 09, 2016, 12:00:23 pm »
    I hand code mine. I've never had Amazon screw with my links before. I'm not even sure why or how they would do it, either.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement