Author Topic: Book release during holidays?  (Read 369 times)  

Offline K Collinsworth

• USA
    • View Profile
Book release during holidays?
« on: December 09, 2016, 11:15:34 am »
I came across an older thread where a few authors warned against launching any new books within a couple weeks prior to a holiday.  :o

I'm about to launch my first two novels and was going to do it this coming Tuesday. My thought was that people might be off on the holidays and read more. 

Should I launch them next week or wait until mid-Jan? 
Katie Collinsworth

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Online GeneDoucette

• View Profile
      • Gene Doucette's Blog
    Re: Book release during holidays?
    « Reply #1 on: December 09, 2016, 11:23:13 am »
    I came across an older thread where a few authors warned against launching any new books within a couple weeks prior to a holiday.  :o

I'm about to launch my first two novels and was going to do it this coming Tuesday. My thought was that people might be off on the holidays and read more. 

Should I launch them next week or wait until mid-Jan?

Everybody's different. for every Do Not you hear around these parts, there's going to be someone saying Do.  In this case, you have people who released books during the holidays seeing fewer sales than expected and extrapolating based on insufficient data.

I've released book a book in December for the past two years and have another out on Tuesday and a bookbub on the following Saturday.

There are no perfect months, just publish and don't worry about it.

Offline SavvyColleen

• View Profile
      • Savvy Fox Author Services
    « Reply #2 on: December 09, 2016, 11:27:34 am »
    Do you have marketing and promo set up for the release? One thing you can do is do a soft release for Tuesday and do some basic marketing and see how it goes. Then, if you want, you can actually have the real big WHOOOHOOO release in mid-January. Just another possibility.  :)
    Savvy Fox Author Services Editor and Writing Coach

Offline lyndabelle

• California-Where Copyright Laws Support Authors
      • View Profile
      • Lynda Belle's Blog/Website
    « Reply #3 on: December 09, 2016, 01:23:16 pm »
    I just released a story with Marilyn Vix, and it came out today. It is a Holiday story, taking place on Thanksgiving. So, putting it out now would be a wise idea. (And yes, tried to get it out before Thanksgiving, but just didn't get it right until now. Better to wait and put out after than put out a bad, not ready version.)

If it was another type, like the last in a series I'm finishing now, I'd wait until January when everyone has their new Kindle. But that's just me. I think it does depend on your story, and whether releasing it at this time year is something people would want now. Holiday and winter stories tend to be of interest. My Holiday story from last year, "I'll Be Home For Christmas", is doing well on KU.

Lynda Belle | Website | Amazon Author Page
    I do not consent to the new TOS, and do not give my consent by posting and maintaining my membership here. Date: 9-20-18

KBoards.com

• Advertisement