Author Topic: Winter Tip  (Read 526 times)  

Offline Mike D. aka jmiked

• Terra firma
    • View Profile
Winter Tip
« on: December 11, 2016, 08:19:56 pm »
Here's an idea I saw several months ago. I bought a roll of small bubble wrap at that time, and yesterday trimmed lengths to fit my kitchen windows and living room sliding doors (inside). I sprayed a light mist of plain water on the glass surface, then applied the bubble wrap (bubble side towards the glass) and patted it down. It's not glued down so it can be removed easily. I ended up leaving a small 3" gap at the bottom of the glass door so the cats could see outside.

Yeah, it obscures the view a bit, but really all I lose is the fine detail. There are several places where I left a flap that can be folded back to see out.

Previously I could put my hand between the curtains and the window glass and it felt quite cold, and that end of the kitchen was always been quite a bit cooler than the rest in the winter. Now the area between the curtains and the glass feels almost like room temperature, maybe very slightly cooler. It makes a significant difference. The temperature last night was down in the forties (F), and the area by the kitchen sink didn't seem any cooler than the rest of the area.  This is almost certainly not as good as double glazing, but it costs only a couple of dollars to do those windows and doors. It should help a bit in the summer, also. This glass takes up about a third of the east wall of the kitchen/living area and has always been too cold in the winter and too hot in the summer.

Mike

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline CegAbq

• Albuquerque, NM
      • View Profile
    Re: Winter Tip
    « Reply #1 on: December 11, 2016, 08:46:46 pm »
    Not sure if I have heard of this before, but what a great review & tip. Thanks.
    Carol in 'burque

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to Skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and shouting: Damn-What a ride!

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
    • Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
    • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey.
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #2 on: December 14, 2016, 09:06:12 pm »
    Cool!  Thanks for sharing this.

Betsy
    Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
    Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX    KB Member #72
    Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline Mike D. aka jmiked

• Terra firma
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: December 14, 2016, 09:51:15 pm »
    The real test is going to come this Saturday and Sunday, when the temps are going to be below 30F at night. The beauty of using bubble wrap is that I can add a second layer if the one is not enough. ;D ;D

Also, I don't know how condensation is going to affect this.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: December 15, 2016, 04:06:19 am »
    It's a clever idea . . . . I remember back in the 70's during the 'energy crisis' that the thing to do, if you couldn't quite afford double or triple paned glass, was to use something akin to saran wrap. It was much more heavy duty, of course, but, basically, you'd affix it to the inside window frame and use a hair dryer to heat and stretch it so it was air tight.  That did help a bit. This seems to be a more 'diy' version of that and I would think it would work pretty good! Could be especially good for windows where you don't mind not being able to see out much. :)

I would say that, especially if your frames are wood, condensation could be a problem . . . I wouldn't leave it up all year because of that.
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

KBoards.com

• Advertisement