Author Topic: Is there an A to Z Marketing Strategy?  (Read 619 times)  

Offline thewords

• View Profile
Is there an A to Z Marketing Strategy?
« on: December 21, 2016, 11:50:47 pm »
I swear there are so many things flooding my brain it's mind boggling. I will have some time off, and I really want to spend the time learning. I am the type that would love to see a list of things to do in order.  Is there a such animal? I know different rules apply for different genres and pricing.

What are the rules for a 99 cent romance book? What if I have a second book?

Are there people who will do all of this marketing for me for a fee?

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Jonathan C. Gillespie

• Atlanta, GA
    • Relentlessly Patient
      • View Profile
      • Fiction For Every Reader
    Re: Is there an A to Z Marketing Strategy?
    « Reply #1 on: December 22, 2016, 08:23:29 am »
    Are there people who will do all of this marketing for me for a fee?

They're out there, but I know what you mean--it's overload. I see authors that are doing well and are so plugged in to all of this, and honestly it's so challenging to do so when you can barely cram in time to write as it is. I always feel like I'm three or four steps behind methods people seem to acquire just organically.

If I can give you any hope, it's this: Self-pubbers tend to be remarkably generous folks. Ask questions. Don't be afraid to drop someone a line. To date, I've never had such inquiries ignored.

I think that says good things about your average independent author, by the way.

I write worlds on paper, then destroy them.
    Jonathan C. Gillespie | Official Site | Twitter | facebook | Newsletter

Offline Talbot

• Raleigh, NC
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: December 22, 2016, 11:05:15 am »
    It's certainly one steep learning curve. I would also love to see a list as I've just published my own first $0.99 romance novella. Good luck!

Offline thewords

• View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: December 23, 2016, 03:04:41 am »
    Thanks, Jessie and Jonathan.

I think I'm going to start keeping it simple and build my own road map. It's like okay, I have my social media stuff, wrote the book, uploaded it, and now what?

I did sell about 40 books at $2.99 w/o any marketing to anyone -- not even friends or family. Imagine what can happen if I put some effort in marketing.

I have some ideas floating around in my head, but I would love to see what seems to work for most.

Offline Jonathan C. Gillespie

• Atlanta, GA
    • Relentlessly Patient
      • View Profile
      • Fiction For Every Reader
    « Reply #4 on: December 23, 2016, 06:04:38 am »
    For starters, search is your friend. Just search for any term like "sales" or "Marketing" or "results" and start reading.

What I've seen is that people tend to find methods that work for a bit, glomp all over them, and then those new methods gradually move from effectiveness to simply "pretty good" or "tossup" (I'm really being scientific here, as you can tell). Years ago, all the rage was free promos and permafree lead-ins. These days? They sort of still work, but it depends. Then everyone was all about Bookbub, which is still great now, as long as you have hundreds of dollars and already have tons of reviews.

Now all the rage seems to be Facebook ads and Instafreebie group promos. If there's one thing I've seen consistently over this whole time, it's that though lone wolves can occasionally hit gold, I see more reliable success among people heavily cross-promoting.

See, but even telling you that, someone is going to come into this thread now and tell me I have it all wrong. And I think that's fine. Marketing our work is tough, in part because there's so many variables. I write military science fiction and space opera, primarily, so as an example what I might say worked for me won't necessarily work for a historical fiction author. To say nothing of all the other darts thrown at the board, like cover quality, ACR's, etc. etc.
    « Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 06:06:37 am by Jonathan C. Gillespie »

I write worlds on paper, then destroy them.
    Jonathan C. Gillespie | Official Site | Twitter | facebook | Newsletter

Online David VanDyke

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: December 23, 2016, 09:56:48 pm »
    There are some good books--you're a writer, you should read, right? Gaughran's for a start. Buy the ten best books you can find on self-pubbing and marketing and read them, to gain a floor.

Offline NeilMosspark

• Building a universe
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: December 24, 2016, 07:23:57 am »
    Thanks, Jessie and Jonathan.

I think I'm going to start keeping it simple and build my own road map. It's like okay, I have my social media stuff, wrote the book, uploaded it, and now what?

I did sell about 40 books at $2.99 w/o any marketing to anyone -- not even friends or family. Imagine what can happen if I put some effort in marketing.

I have some ideas floating around in my head, but I would love to see what seems to work for most.
    A small thought on friends and family, I did that for my first book release however I did notice that the 'also bought' listings at the bottom of the page were skewed wildly out of genre. Having romance and children's books show up in there because family is buying your scifi book is likely counter productive.

Just my 2.5 cents

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neil Mosspark | Website | Twitter Feed | Facebook Page

KBoards.com

• Advertisement