Author Topic: FUNGOID - Apocalyptic Horror  (Read 589 times)  

Offline William Meikle

• Newfoundland
  • Wee sweary Scotsman
    • View Profile
    • William Meikle Website
FUNGOID - Apocalyptic Horror
« on: December 23, 2016, 04:39:37 am »
When the end came, it wasn't zombies, asteroids, global warming or nuclear winter. It was something that escaped from a lab. Something small, and very hungry.

In this one you'll find a chunk of Newfoundland, a fireman, some nasty rain, a bit of real science, a lot of unreal science, some Canadians, many cigarettes, some trucks, boats and planes, and plenty of spores, mushrooms and rot.

For fans of John Wyndham, William Hope Hodgson and H P Lovecraft, here's a wee homage to a lot of the things I've loved since childhood.

Out now in paperback and ebook

William Meikle | Facebook | Twitter | Newsletter

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not really a moderator. :)
      • View Profile
    Re: FUNGOID - Apocalyptic Horror
    « Reply #1 on: December 23, 2016, 04:40:14 am »

Welcome to KBoards, Or Welcome Back ;) OR Hi, glad you're still here. :D Congratulations on the book!  :)

Much of what follows you should already be aware of, as it was included in the information you agreed to when you signed up. So please consider this to be just a friendly reminder. :) (The posting of this 'welcome letter' doesn't mean you've done anything wrong; we just want you to have a ready reference, so we post this note in every thread in the Bazaar. :) )

KBoards is a fan forum for Readers, Writers and Kindle Lovers. Authors are always welcome to post anywhere but, as you browse the 'boards, please keep in mind that self-promotion, of any sort, is ONLY allowed here in the Book Bazaar.

A brief recap of our rules follows:

--Please bookmark this thread (using your browser's bookmark/favorite function or the Kboards bookmark tool available on each thread) so you can update it as we ask that authors have only one thread per book and add to it when there is more information.  You may start a separate thread for each book (or you may have one thread per series of books, or one thread for all of your books, it's your choice).

--We invite you to use your book cover as your avatar and have links to your book and website in your signature. Instructions are posted here

--While you may respond to member posts to your thread at any time, you may only bump your thread (back-to-back posts by you) once every seven days.  Once you've responded to a member, that resets the clock to zero and you must wait seven days to post, unless another member posts before then.

--We ask that Amazon reviews not be repeated here as they are easy to find at your book link.  Also, full reviews from other sites should not be posted here, but you may post a short blurb and a link to the full review instead.

--Although self-promotion is limited to the Book Bazaar, our most successful authors have found the best way to promote their books is to be as active throughout KBoards as time allows.  This is your target audience--book lovers with Kindles!  Please note that putting link information in the body of your posts outside the Book Bazaar constitutes self promotion; please leave your links for your profile signature that will automatically appear on each post.  For information on more ways to promote here on KBoards, be sure to check out this thread:
    Authors: KBoards Tips & FAQ.

All this, and more, is included in our Forum Decorum.  Be sure to check it from time to time for the current guidelines and rules.

Thanks for being part of KBoards!  Feel free to send us a PM if you have any questions.

Betsy & Ann
    Book Bazaar Moderators
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline William Meikle

• Newfoundland
    • Wee sweary Scotsman
      • View Profile
      • William Meikle Website
    « Reply #2 on: December 23, 2016, 04:42:20 am »
    Thanks, Ann. Blimey, that was quick :-)

Here's some more info...

A band of survivors on the Eastern coast of Canada watch as their world falls and crumbles to ruin. The infection seems relentless. More than that, it seems to be learning, adapting and evolving faster than they can fight it. Worse still, it is infecting not just their bodies, but is creeping into their minds, dancing in their dreams.

Can they stop it before it takes them?

Or must they all join in the final dance of death?

Do you like campy horror? Immersively weird apocalyptic scenarios? Star-crossed lovers in impossibly disgusting situations? Then this book is for you. - Bookshot at Litreactor

Above all else in my love of the horror genre, I cherish implacability. Prolific and accomplished author William Meikle masterfully delivers this element; in fact, I consider it one of his trademarks. In FUNGOID, a story determined to keep you wide-eyed awake, he brings together a seemingly natural process, adds the suspicion of human meddling, and a frisson of supernaturalism. Together, I raced through the pages as fast as my Kindle could handle - The Haunted Reading Room

Fungoid is a definite, must-read for fans of the horror genre, especially if you're looking for a new way of approaching the end of the world.
    - The Ghastly Grimoire

These types of plague/invasion novels are usually fun but Meikle has made his story an especially neat treat of science fiction suspense and horror. - The Novel Pursuit

If you're looking for a compelling end of the world read or have even the slightest interest in sci-fi and horror, then this satisfying read is a must. - The Most Sublime

Fungoid is a quick, breezy, expertly paced, and well-crafted story. Couple this with an intriguing doomsday premise and you've got yourself a brisk read. -  Michael Patrick Hicks

I find myself loving a book that can take a premise that I've read 20 different things about and do it in a new and intriguing way. - Brian's Book Blog

« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 04:46:13 am by williammeikle »

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not really a moderator. :)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: December 23, 2016, 05:21:15 am »
    Thanks, Ann. Blimey, that was quick :-)

:D

I'd just popped into the Bazaar for my daily check when your new thread popped up -- AND, I didn't have to go through and check thoroughly to be sure you didn't already have one because I know you know the deal and keep track. :)

And, look, I just gave you another free bump. ;)
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline William Meikle

• Newfoundland
    • Wee sweary Scotsman
      • View Profile
      • William Meikle Website
    « Reply #4 on: December 23, 2016, 08:20:45 am »
    Always a twitchy day when it's a new release, but there's some nice reviews coming in for FUNGOID already - although Amazon are doing something weird. There's five reviews on the page, but they say I've only got one. I think they're not counting advance reviews that aren't actually purchased from Amazon. Fair enough I suppose, but it looks a bit strange.

Offline William Meikle

• Newfoundland
    • Wee sweary Scotsman
      • View Profile
      • William Meikle Website
    « Reply #5 on: January 23, 2017, 04:25:12 pm »
    Lovely new review which is just the latest in a row of fine reviews for FUNGOID

http://anthony-watson.blogspot.ca/2017/01/fungoid.html

"the end result is a deeply entertaining piece of writing which takes a number of well-established tropes and characters and moulds them into something new."

Offline William Meikle

• Newfoundland
    • Wee sweary Scotsman
      • View Profile
      • William Meikle Website
    « Reply #6 on: January 31, 2018, 05:40:17 am »

Offline William Meikle

• Newfoundland
    • Wee sweary Scotsman
      • View Profile
      • William Meikle Website
    « Reply #7 on: February 13, 2018, 02:00:55 pm »
    Newfoundland is worming its way more and more into my soul, and out again in my writing.

We came over on holiday in 2005 and loved it. When my job in Edinburgh went tits-up in 2007, it was just when I was starting to get some serious pro-level story sales, and we knew we could get a nice house with a great view dirt cheap over here on The Rock. So we sold up in Scotland, whacked some money in the bank, bought a house on the shore here in a fishing village, and I tried writing full time. I've not starved us yet.

It's not quite in the middle of nowhere. We have roads, a post office, a supermarket and some takeaway places. We even have running water and electricity. The people are very friendly, mostly of Irish descent around here, and it's lovely and quiet, which suits me just fine.

It also seems to suit my writing. The third Derek Adams book, THE SKIN GAME was stalled in its opening act back in Scotland, but that first winter after we got here I realised that Derek could come here too, and after that the rest of that one fell quickly into place.

Since then I've been exploring various parts of the island and its culture in my novels. THE DUNFIELD TERROR takes place around Trinity, where I spent my first year here working on a whale tour boat (the reprint of that one is coming soon from Crossroad Press.), FUNGOID takes place in the island capital St. John's, and also up this peninsula where I live while SONGS OF DREAMING GODS is set in a corner townhouse in St. John's again.

I've got two more novels based here in the pipe at Crossroad Press, namely THE BOATHOUSE, set here in our home port of Catalina, and THE GREEN AND THE BLACK, set in a derelict Victorian mining colony in the island's interior.

There will be more, as I haven't covered the whole glorious gamut of this place yet.

And I need to get a moose in somewhere.
    « Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 02:04:09 pm by williammeikle »

Offline William Meikle

• Newfoundland
    • Wee sweary Scotsman
      • View Profile
      • William Meikle Website
    « Reply #8 on: March 01, 2018, 05:18:01 pm »
    FUNGOID is one of six books in the Spring Chillers and Thrillers Giveaway to win ebooks by Michael Bray, Rick Chesler, D.L. Robinson, Edward J McFadden III, Ian Woodhead and William Meikle. Draw to be made 31st March.
    http://www.williammeikle.com/giveaway2.html

Offline William Meikle

• Newfoundland
    • Wee sweary Scotsman
      • View Profile
      • William Meikle Website
    « Reply #9 on: August 07, 2020, 04:20:25 pm »
    Now also available in audiobook

KBoards.com