Author Topic: The Top Secret Diary of a Kindle Scout Prepper.  (Read 13147 times)  

Offline Tom Swyers

• View Profile
Re: The Top Secret Diary of a Kindle Scout Prepper.
« Reply #150 on: March 28, 2017, 04:35:05 AM »
Stats 3/27

Page Views: 198

24 hours H/T (15 straight H/T 24 hour days)

29/71 internal/external

I consider yesterday to be a win.

The goal was to achieve the upper range of normalcy for me of late: 200 page views. Actual: 198. Close enough.

I had some fun with @AmazonKindle on twitter yesterday. They have 375k followers, They are the twitter account that seems to oversee the Kindle Scout program.

They posted a cat photo on Sunday:

https://twitter.com/AmazonKindle/status/846051500300361728

Thye got 22 retweets.

Not to be outdone, yesterday I posted my own cat photo with a plug for my book:

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/846368019567775745

I have 10.2K twitter followers.

My photo has 90 retweets and it just keeps going.

Why do this? Presumably, Amazon Kindle looks for authors who know how to market. Most likely, they will see the retweets in their twitter feed because I used their address.  It's my calling card.

Going to mine for more readers today. Used crowdfire to search for people who recently mentioned John Grisham. Sent out 100 cards to them already. I'd like to see a bump above 200 page views today.   

Goal is still 6k page views with 3 days left and 5.82K page views currently. The goal looks to be within striking distance.

Offline JoAnn Franklin

• View Profile
    • JoAnn Franklin Writer
« Reply #151 on: March 28, 2017, 05:48:48 AM »
Stats 3/12, 3/13, 3/14, 3/15

3/12: 283
3/13: 226
3/14: 1,182
3/15: 196

3/12 23 hours H/T
3/13 24 hours H/T
3/14 24 hours H/T
3/15 24 hours H/T

32/68 internal/external

The stats came back on-line yesterday.

As I posted before, I was scheduled to have a service do some advertising for me March 11th. He contacted me at the last minute to say he'd run it on the 11th, 12th and 13th for the same price. Who was I to argue? It was a stroke of luck that this coincided with the Kindle Scout stats outage.

As for March 14th, I've been working with someone with one of the book advertisers (like BookBub but smaller) over the past year. She thinks outside of the box like me. She wanted to run an experiment on my book and so she sent a special email to all thriller readers in their system about my Kindle Scout listing. I think the timing (during the snowstorm) helped, Flowers to Stella. The email was sent out in the afternoon EST.  So all the 1,000 plus page views were from engaged readers of my genre. Win.

Yesterday, with 196 views, I'm on my descent into normalcy: 45-200 page views.       

My facebook ad has been reactivated.

I have no help today, so I'm going to have to do some heavy lifting to keep me from falling into the abyss.

If I had the stats all along, I could have been a good prepper and planned this out better. So be it. At least I came out of the outage in good shape overall.     

Do you mind sharing the contact information re the person who sent out the special email to all thriller readers on her list? Thanks.

Offline Tom Swyers

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 29, 2017, 02:10:56 AM »
Do you mind sharing the contact information re the person who sent out the special email to all thriller readers on her list? Thanks.

Hi JoAnn,

I'm sorry, it's not appropriate for me to mention the firm name at this time. There is a chance that they might develop a service for Kindle Scout authors, but until they are ready/willing/able I'd prefer not to name them.

I  hope you understand.

Tom

« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 02:12:34 AM by Tom Swyers »

Offline Tom Swyers

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 29, 2017, 02:50:55 AM »
Stats 3/28

Page Views: 253

24 hours H/T (16 straight H/T 24 hour days)

29/71 internal/external

I consider yesterday to be a win.

The stated goal was to exceed the upper range of normalcy for me of late: 200 page views. Actual: 253. Nice.

My overall 6k campaign goal was achieved yesterday. Now at 6.1K. Win! 8)

I'd like to work all day today to get more page views. But real life stands in the way with my wife's procedure scheduled for this morning.

Why keep working when my goal has been achieved? I want to generate as much interest in my book as possible before the campaign ends. This will only help the launch regardless of whether the book is selected or not. 

Hot and trending does matter!!!!! People will say it doesn't matter to being selected and they have a point in that regard. But there are plenty of books that are lingering on Kindle Scout and more page views during the campaign (nominators and readers) could have only helped a book launch for them on Kindle Scout. The same thing holds true for books that are not selected.   

Yesterday, got my first request to do a local radio/podcast interview about my book and it's not even out yet. This wouldn't have happened without participating in the Kindle Scout campaign.

My goal today is to tread water with yesterday. If my wife sails through with flying colors, I'll be back in the twitter mines searching for readers.

Offline Tom Swyers

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 30, 2017, 08:14:25 AM »
Stats 3/29

Page Views: 207

24 hours H/T (17 straight H/T 24 hour/day)

29/71 internal/external

I couldn't do too much work in finding new readers because I was too busy caring for my wife so my page views slipped below target.

But the best news is that my wife is doing well this morning.

My overall 6k campaign goal was achieved yesterday. Now at 6.3K.

I'll try and search for more readers today and get more page views when time permits.

With my campaign coming to an end, I would like to ask anyone reading this thread and finding value in it to nominate The Killdeer Connection at this link:

https://kindlescout.amazon.com/p/2YCSHQWPSS0D4

Thank you!

Offline caneman

• Here
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 30, 2017, 02:44:26 PM »
Done it for you!!
Fire HD 10 64GB+64GB card
Kobo Aura,Nook Hd+ running Android 7.0,PW2,Kobo Mini 32GBs,Sony PRS-350!

(Make your own reading bar)

Offline Tom Swyers

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 30, 2017, 03:48:19 PM »
Done it for you!!

Thank you, Caneman!

Every vote counts,--and some more than others--when it comes to Kindle Scout!

Offline Tom Swyers

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 31, 2017, 06:39:00 AM »
Stats 3/29

Page Views: 856

24 hours H/T (18 straight H/T 24 hour/day)

29/71 internal/external

Yesterday was crazy as I released the Marketing Kracken in an all-out LAST CHANCE campaign blitz.

I got 1725 clicks.

The environmental readers/supporters liked my tweets. I went after the legal thriller readers too. I had both engines going with people tweeting me all day long about nominating the book. 

I also had help from my friend in New York. She got an additional 251 clicks, Combined we did 1976 clicks that translated into 856 page views. That's about 43% that converted to page views. That's pretty good.   

I still want to get as many free copies as I can to people. This morning, I redid my main social media material to advertise that this was the LAST DAY.

I'll push hard again, but don't know if I can duplicate yesterday's results.

I sent an email yesterday to my list telling them the same and they woke up as well. If they didn't open yesterday's email, they will get another one this morning.

My overall 6k campaign goal was achieved. Now at 7.1K with 633/696 H&T

With my campaign coming to an end, I would like to ask anyone reading this thread and finding value in it to nominate The Killdeer Connection at this link:

Thank you!

« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 07:19:31 PM by Tom Swyers »

Offline Joynell Schultz

• Wisconsin
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Author Page
« Reply #158 on: March 31, 2017, 03:34:12 PM »
Holy crap! You're awesome!!!
You rocked the campaign. The highest page views I've heard of so far was somewhere in the 6K mark.
Way to go!
(And now, the waiting begins.)

Offline Tom Swyers

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 01, 2017, 04:43:11 AM »
Stats 3/31

Page Views: 1,321

24 hours H/T (19 straight H/T 24 hour/day)

29/71 internal/external

You always try to finish on a high note. When you exit the stage, you want to leave the audience asking for more. 

Mission accomplished.

The Marketing Kracken roamed twitter yesterday searching for interested readers: "Last Day," "Last Chance."

But I didn't send as many twitter cards out yesterday. When you are a few hours away from the campaign ending, sending cards out loses its value.   

My clicks for yesterday were lower: 1,297 vs 1,725 from the day before.

My friend in New York had 480

Combined yesterday: 1,777 vs 1976 on Thursday.

So I expected my page views to be down this morning--down from 856 on Thursday.

So I was SHOCKED  :o this morning when I saw my page views had spiked to a record high: 1,321 vs. 856 from the day before.

Summary

Although I made some mistakes along the way and had some family issues to deal with during the campaign, I adjusted and exceeded my goal of 6K page views.

There is nothing much more that I could do in the time frame to market the book. I still have a number of things in my tool chest that I did not use, but when the twitter cards worked like a charm for me I was going to make the most of them for as long as I could. But the cards never let up for me. The more I put out, the higher my page views the next day. Even today, it seems like my approach could work forever.

The is not to say that twitter cards will work for every book. By writing a genre book, I could find the readers of a number of established authors. Sometimes I rummaged through their dead twitter accounts. I also have a very topical book that connects with a number of environmentally conscious people and addresses a number of issues we face today as a country.       

The case for The Killdeer Connection has been made. I put my life and soul into this book for over year and a half. I have always believed that this novel can be a bestseller. The chart and stats  below back me up. Now the ball is in Amazon's court.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 08:10:14 AM by Tom Swyers »

Offline JoAnn Franklin

• View Profile
    • JoAnn Franklin Writer
« Reply #160 on: April 01, 2017, 06:34:53 AM »
Hi JoAnn,

I'm sorry, it's not appropriate for me to mention the firm name at this time. There is a chance that they might develop a service for Kindle Scout authors, but until they are ready/willing/able I'd prefer not to name them.

I  hope you understand.

Tom

I do, and I hope they do.  (smile)

Offline JoAnn Franklin

• View Profile
    • JoAnn Franklin Writer
« Reply #161 on: April 01, 2017, 06:36:14 AM »
Stats 3/29

Page Views: 207

24 hours H/T (17 straight H/T 24 hour/day)

29/71 internal/external

I couldn't do too much work in finding new readers because I was too busy caring for my wife so my page views slipped below target.

But the best news is that my wife is doing well this morning.

My overall 6k campaign goal was achieved yesterday. Now at 6.3K.

I'll try and search for more readers today and get more page views when time permits.

Thank you!

Done! JoAnn

Offline Tom Swyers

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 06, 2017, 08:34:54 AM »
My campaign ended last Friday. But I'm not surprised I haven't heard anything yet.

I've taught myself not to worry about things I can't control. It's wasted time.

I don't control the Kindle Scout section process, so I've moved on to doing other things. I'm doing legal work and I've started on my next novel.

My guess is that I should hear within the next few days.

Thanks to everyone for their support!

Offline Tom Swyers

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 11, 2017, 02:49:30 PM »
The Killdeer Connection was selected today as a winner in the Kindle Scout competition!

It took 11 days for a decision.

I'll have some major announcements tomorrow that will help all Kindle Scout participants going forward, so bookmark this thread and check back then.

Offline CABarrett

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 11, 2017, 03:10:23 PM »
Congratulations!  :) And thank you in advance for your post-game analysis.

Offline Stephen T. Harper

• Marina Del Rey, Ca
    • View Profile
    • Kings X Saga
« Reply #165 on: April 11, 2017, 04:06:12 PM »
Congratulations!  :) And thank you in advance for your post-game analysis.

Congratulations, Tom! Looking forward to your insights.

Stephen T. Harper | KingsXsaga

Offline amdonehere

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 11, 2017, 04:17:17 PM »
Oh Wow! Tom, I'm so happy for you. You worked hard for it and totally deserve it! Congratulations.

Offline JoAnn Franklin

• View Profile
    • JoAnn Franklin Writer
« Reply #167 on: April 11, 2017, 05:32:59 PM »
The Killdeer Connection was selected today as a winner in the Kindle Scout competition!

It took 11 days for a decision.

I'll have some major announcements tomorrow that will help all Kindle Scout participants going forward, so bookmark this thread and check back then.

Congratulations Tom!
-JoAnn

Online jaxonreed

• View Profile
    • jaxonreed.com
« Reply #168 on: April 11, 2017, 08:31:38 PM »
Congrats, Tom!

Jaxon Reed | jaxonreed.com | readper.com

Offline Tom Swyers

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 12, 2017, 04:01:07 AM »
The Thank You Note -- A Suggested Workaround for Rejection

As noted previously, the chances for rejection in the Kindle Scout competition are 97-98%.

If you aren't prepared for rejection, you aren't being realistic.

Here's a problem with Kindle Scout program that isn't discussed enough, if at all.

If a book is selected in the competition, Amazon will give the nominator a FREE copy.

But if the book is not selected, Amazon will send an email out to the nominator to say that the book is now available "for purchase" when it's available.

So if the book wins, it's free. If it doesn't, you have to pay for it.

What's wrong with this picture?

if the book doesn't win, you as an author has to overcome the perception of some that it's not a good book. You don't do that by saying they have to buy it.

As an author using the Amazon platform to launch your book regardless of whether it wins or not, you want to give away your book whether you win or not.

The solution is in the "thank you" email:

Here's my "thank you" note:

IMPORTANT: When you read this, youll know before me if THE KILLDEER CONNECTION has been selected by Kindle. If it's selected, youll get a free ebook copy from Kindle. Awesome!. But if it's not selected, Kindle can't offer you a free copy. But I'd like to give you one anyway. If it's not selected, you'll need to give me your email address so I can tell you when it's available for free on Kindle. Click here to give me that info: http://hyperurl.co/MyFreeEbook Thank you so much for your support!   

First off, I was mistaken in the first sentence.  I did know before readers that the book was accepted. When I was planning my campaign, I saw enough authors who were in the dark about winning until they found out about it through others getting their "thank you" email. But there was EXACTLY a 12 hour window between me receiving a win notice and the "thank you" email being sent.

You saw me work hard during this campaign. Well, I was not going to let all of my hard work go to waste by losing DEDICATED readers in the likelihood that I lost by charging them for the book: Send them to sign up for my email list to get the book free. I would then send them an email when the book was free during my Kindle Select five free days. With that done, the book is ready to be launched with readers who cared enough to nominate my book. Bonus: I get to build my email list in the process!

How many nominating readers are lost when they get an email from Amazon saying your losing book is now available "for purchase?" (I'm being harsh to make a point). Kindle Scout needs to change that email and give the option to say your book is available for free.

Please note that my link sends nominators to a landing page. I could and did change the message there when I discovered that the book was selected.

Looking back, the ideal solution would be to prepare a message to get the reader's mailing address even if the book wins.

But as a prepper, it is far better to plan for the 97%-98% probability.

Now this is key. By using this approach, I could advertise that if a reader nominates my book, he/she  will get a free copy PERIOD. It's so simple and you can say it in a tweet.

That beats saying: If you nominate my book, you'll get a free copy, but only if the books wins (and it has a 2-3% chance of winning) zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. What? I've fallen asleep by the time I get to the end of that. Where's the incentive?

I've got more to say today so check back for that major announcement.   

« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 04:16:34 AM by Tom Swyers »

Offline Kay7979

• Western NY
    • View Profile
    • Kay L Ling
« Reply #170 on: April 12, 2017, 04:31:58 AM »
I usually have three active nominations at all times, and I get so many emails from Amazon for non-selected books that I delete those emails unread. So, I'd never see an email offering me a free copy. That doesn't mean it isn't a good strategy. I haven't had time to read the last dozen winning books, and I know I'm not the typical reader who votes for a Kindle Scout book. But I think many votes from the internal segment of voters may be people like me who vote for a lot of books.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 04:35:27 AM by Kay7979 »

Offline Tom Swyers

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 12, 2017, 05:39:04 AM »
New Promotional Service

Before I get into the details, please understand that I'm not receiving any compensation for this announcement or from the service.

As I have written previously, I had some help on my campaign from a friend in New York. I have been working with her to develop a service which can benefit all Kindle Scout authors. She is ready to go live with it now.

Here is the link to that offering: http://unbouncepages.com/bestindiepress_kindlescout/

Here was my experience with what we did. Jessica created an email solely dedicated to my book. She plans to do that with any book who selects her service. Other services don't do that. You are lumped in together with others.

Her email was sent two separate lists. The first was more genre appropriate for my book. The second mailing, less so. We were just running tests to see what would work best.

Here are the click results. Please understand that my offer was that readers would get a free book regardless of whether it won or not. Also, please note that my email also contained a link to my video trailer. So some people could have clicked both.   

One day blast:

Tuesday, March 14th - 919 clicks to nominate, 209 clicks to the video
Wednesday, March 15th - 156 clicks to nominate, 20 clicks to the video
Thursday, March 16th - 29 clicks to nominate, 12 clicks to the video

Combined clicks: 1,345.

If you look at my diary, from what I could tell most of these clicks converted into page views. I had 1,182 page views the day of the blast.

Nobody really knows the staying power for hot and trending with such a blast. We do know Amazon doesn't favor spikes in promotional sales. So we tried to step it down a notch. Remember, the second list wasn't as genre appropriate as the first.

Drip email over 3-4 days

Thursday, March 30th - 251 clicks to nominate, 46 clicks to the video
Friday, March 31st - 480 clicks to nominate, 70 clicks to the video
Saturday, April 1st - 190 clicks to nominate, 18 clicks to the video
Sunday, April 2nd - 29 clicks to nominate, 0 clicks to the video

Combined Clicks: 1,055

Since this second campaign took place when I was working hard too, I don't have a good read on how many clicks turned into page views. Having said that, look at my chart. I had 856 and 1,321 page views on those two days respectively. Please understand that Jessica plans to roll this offering out over four days and this second campaign was for two days.

We found that a gradual feed of page views and nominations worked best, so she has altered her campaign to run in an arc over 4 days. I think such a campaign has a great chance of landing books on hot and trending. I think it's a good answer to the lull Kindle Scout authors often face in the second and third weeks of their campaign.

Does "hot and trending" matter? Authors will often say that "hot and trending" doesn't matter, usually right after they win with weak stats. Good for them! They won the lottery. They are among the 2-3% selected. Nobody should bank on that. Use the Kindle Scout platform for launching your book. Winning the competition should be viewed as a bonus.

You can write Jessica Rose at jessicarose@bestindiepress.com if you have any questions.

The cost is $250

She is also offering anyone who learns about her Kindle Scout service through my diary or Kboards $50 off their promo with coupon code: TS50

Final cost: $200

Yes, I paid for her service. Yes, I would do it again. I know her and I know she wants everyone to have a positive experience with her service. That's why she won't take every book.

Compare this to ScoutBoost that has a list price of $90 per one day boost.

Offline Tom Swyers

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 12, 2017, 05:44:30 AM »
I usually have three active nominations at all times, and I get so many emails from Amazon for non-selected books that I delete those emails unread. So, I'd never see an email offering me a free copy. That doesn't mean it isn't a good strategy. I haven't had time to read the last dozen winning books, and I know I'm not the typical reader who votes for a Kindle Scout book. But I think many votes from the internal segment of voters may be people like me who vote for a lot of books.

Hi Kay,

Good points. You have to work with what you are given.

It's all the more reason to drive in external traffic. They are less likely to do that because they've followed your link and aren't serial Scouters.

Tom   

Offline T E Scott Writer

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 12, 2017, 06:48:10 AM »
Congratulations on your win!

T E Scott

Offline Tom Swyers

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 13, 2017, 04:48:47 AM »
Hi All,

Thanks to you all for the good wishes.

An update.

Please read my thank you message again.

Note that because the book was selected, there was NO reason for people to click that link I provided.

But they did!

I got 57 email sign-ups yesterday!!!!!!!!!!!

Imagine how many I would have got if the book wasn't selected and people had reason to click the link !!!!!!

Lesson: Drive traffic to your Kindle book campaign page with a great "thank you" note with a link to get the book free via an email sign if it's not selected to make the most of your campaign in launching your book.  Jessica's service could help find that traffic!

Note: The editors at Amazon got back to me within 36 hours of selection with detailed, well-reasoned editorial suggestions to make a great book even better. Impressive turnaround! Wow!