Author Topic: The Top Secret Diary of a Kindle Scout Prepper.  (Read 15471 times)  

Offline Tom Swyers

• View Profile
Re: The Top Secret Diary of a Kindle Scout Prepper.
« Reply #175 on: April 14, 2017, 03:59:02 am »
Update

I continue to get email subscribers. Up to 68 from 57 yesterday.

A follower messaged me and told me she was able to update her "thank you" note with Kindle Scout yesterday while her campaign was ongoing. That's wonderful! If you are in this position, take note and some action if you choose.

Need Your Help:

I am now trying to call the attention of Amazon's imprint for paperback, Thomas Mercer, to The Killdeer Connection   

If you would consider retweeting this tweet it would be appreciated:

https://twitter.com/TomSwyers/status/852698434628968449

Yes, I like having fun.  :) I I have two cats which are really two dogs in disguise.

If you are on co-promote and want to earn some credit towards retweeting it either search for my name and find the boost or try finding it at this profile link:

https://app.copromote.com/#users/743706

Thank you!

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Tom Swyers

• View Profile
    « Reply #176 on: April 15, 2017, 04:04:50 am »
    Taking Back Your Traffic

If you use a url service that let's you change the traffic destination like smart url does, when your campaign ends you can take your traffic elsewhere. Let's say your book is not selected within days of your campaign ending. If you worked hard and sent out a bunch of social media posts and tweets, people might find them later on and click your link only to be taken to your Kindle Scout page where it says your book wasn't selected. Well, if you want to take them elsewhere at that point, it takes only a few seconds to change your destination using the smart url service.

I did this after Killdeer was selected and am now taking people to this landing page as opposed to my Kindle campaign page: http://subscribe.tomswyers.com/ReadersGroup

I'm now up to 76 subscribers since the campaign ended with my "thank you" note variation as described n a prior post.

Still Need Your Help:

I am now trying to call the attention of Amazon's imprint for paperback, Thomas and Mercer, to The Killdeer Connection   

If you are on co-promote and want to earn some credit towards retweeting it either search for my name and find the boost or try finding it at this profile link:

Thank you!
    « Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 06:40:30 am by Tom Swyers »

Offline Tom Swyers

• View Profile
    « Reply #177 on: April 17, 2017, 06:39:41 am »
    Winning Genres

Bookmark this page in order to see what type of Kindle Scout books have won in the past:

https://www.amazon.com/b/ref=kbhp_bb_Scout_T2?ie=UTF8&node=11048035011&pd_rd_r=T0N5VBC1976CAWC3ACK4&pd_rd_w=pK26e&pd_rd_wg=F20Ls&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-left-2&pf_rd_r=T0N5VBC1976CAWC3ACK4&pf_rd_r=T0N5VBC1976CAWC3ACK4&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=2e277286-9989-4604-954f-13a2335e65c3&pf_rd_p=2e277286-9989-4604-954f-13a2335e65c3&pf_rd_i=154606011

In the left-hand column, you'll see this breakdown as of today:

Kindle Scout

Business & Money (1)
    Children's eBooks (1)
    Humor & Entertainment (4)
    Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender eBooks (3)
    Literature & Fiction (170)
    Mystery, Thriller & Suspense (113)
    Nonfiction (3)
    Reference (1)
    Religion & Spirituality (5)
    Romance (76)
    Science Fiction & Fantasy (88)
    Teen & Young Adult (26)

Assess your odds of being selected by considering the number in your genre that have been selected and the quality of those offerings. Read some!

Develop a Kindle Scout strategy after realistically assessing your odds. 

Update

I'm now up to 81 email subscribers since the campaign ended with my "thank you" note variation as described in a prior post and in relinking my URLs

My local newspaper is going to run another article this week on the success of the book in the Kindle Scout campaign this week.

What would have happened if the book lost?

I put myself out in the public eye for all to see the book (me) succeed or fail. If you will recall, my effort was the subject of a newspaper article when the campaign began. Once I knew the article was going to appear, I had to go all out in my mind. I had to do everything within my control to see the book succeed. No passive campaign for me. I wasn't going to fail in front of my local support without a fight.

If the book wasn't selected, I'd still see if the newspaper wanted to run an article. But the loss wouldn't have been as newsworthy as a win. That's just the way of the world.

If the book lost, I would have to have published the book as quickly a possible to take advantage of the Kindle Scout platform in launching my book.

Since the program only selects 2-3% of books, that's what everyone needs to plan for because you always respect the odds.

Still Need Your Help:

I am now trying to call the attention of Amazon's imprint for paperback, Thomas and Mercer, to The Killdeer Connection   

It's up to 104 retweets!

Thank you!

Offline ishapiro_99

• View Profile
    « Reply #178 on: April 17, 2017, 07:14:20 am »
    I'm in the last week of my Kindle Scout campaign and need some suggestions.  I've posted on FB and Twitter repeatedly, hit up my mailing list promised people free books, and ran a FB campaign.  I need new ways of driving traffic to my book.  Any ideas?  I welcome all suggestions, and views.  Here's the link to my book.

https://kindlescout.amazon.com/p/2A7OA8S8JJFFS

Offline Tom Swyers

• View Profile
    « Reply #179 on: April 17, 2017, 07:22:37 am »
    Hi Irina,

Here's your favorite author per your Kindle Scout bio.: https://twitter.com/Writer_DG

If your book is of the same genre, you have over 200k potential readers right there. Send them tweets or twitter cards.

You also may want to see what Jessica's service can do for you. It's noted in a post the other week. Here's the link:  http://unbouncepages.com/bestindiepress_kindlescout/

$50 off with this code:  TS50

« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 07:26:45 am by Tom Swyers »

Offline Tom Swyers

• View Profile
    « Reply #180 on: April 18, 2017, 07:58:25 am »
    Today's Tip

Mailer Lite: https://www.mailerlite.com/invite/e56fb8334a585

Cheaper, easier to use, and more features than mailchimp.

Videos: https://vimeo.com/mailerlite

I've added 86 subscribers with MailerLite since my thank you note went out.

Offline Tom Swyers

• View Profile
    « Reply #181 on: May 02, 2017, 09:19:09 am »
    Here's an update.

Today, submitted my MS after considering a first round of in-house edits (one page with some suggestions) from Amazon.

Now I understand it is going to Kirkus for a round of copy edits. So I will wait on that for a few weeks.

After talking with Kindle Press, I'm on the radar for a future book/ebook deal with Thomas & Mercer (mystery and thriller imprint) depending on the performance of The Killdeer Connection.

Thomas & Mercer won't take The Killdeer Connection because Kindle Press has the ebook and Thomas & Mercer takes both the ebook and print versions when they take on a project.

My guess is The Killdeer Connection will launch around third week in June.

I plan to use the same promotional campaigns for my book launch that I did for the Kindle Scout campaign. 

Because I used the smart urls, I know what works. Win or lose with Kindle Scout, that info will help a book launch.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 05:18:29 am by Tom Swyers »

Offline CABarrett

• View Profile
    « Reply #182 on: May 03, 2017, 05:33:36 pm »
    Thank you for continuing to post updates. I'd been very curious about how this led into the Amazon imprints.

Offline Tom Swyers

• View Profile
    « Reply #183 on: May 04, 2017, 05:19:40 am »
    You're welcome!

Offline Tom Swyers

• View Profile
    « Reply #184 on: May 04, 2017, 05:33:24 am »
    Yesterday, I got a notice that Kirkus has my manuscript and that I can expect copy edits from them by May 29, 2017.

Edits will be done in MS track changes.

I told my editor. We are going to try and work out a system that will get us through these editorial suggestions expeditiously.

We have final say on any edits.

Quite frankly, I think it's ready to go to print. My early reader team has gone through it. My science team has gone through it. My editor has gone through it. I see the thing in my sleep. If you think I'm growing impatient, you're right!

Time to shift gears. Do something else.

Offline amdonehere

• View Profile
    « Reply #185 on: May 04, 2017, 01:42:13 pm »
    Yesterday, I got a notice that Kirkus has my manuscript and that I can expect copy edits from them by May 29, 2017.

Edits will be done in MS track changes.

I told my editor. We are going to try and work out a system that will get us through these editorial suggestions expeditiously.

We have final say on any edits.

Quite frankly, I think it's ready to go to print. My early reader team has gone through it. My science team has gone through it. My editor has gone through it. I see the thing in my sleep. If you think I'm growing impatient, you're right!

Time to shift gears. Do something else.

That definitely is a drawback. Participating in even the 30-day campaign is hard in that respect, because I know I have a finished book just sitting there.

Tom, I think your book is ready to go too. I also think sometimes there is such a thing as over-editing. But OTOH, since you have no choice, it'll be interesting to see what the Kirkus editor has to say. Best of luck with that. I think for you, a Kirkus editorial review would probably be more helpful. :)

Good luck!!!

Offline Tom Swyers

• View Profile
    « Reply #186 on: May 04, 2017, 06:07:37 pm »
    That definitely is a drawback. Participating in even the 30-day campaign is hard in that respect, because I know I have a finished book just sitting there.

Tom, I think your book is ready to go too. I also think sometimes there is such a thing as over-editing. But OTOH, since you have no choice, it'll be interesting to see what the Kirkus editor has to say. Best of luck with that. I think for you, a Kirkus editorial review would probably be more helpful. :)

Good luck!!!

Thank you, Alexa, for the good wishes!

Yes, it will be interesting to see the edits, though I think my editor is more interested than me. It's kind of like a meeting of professionals for them. I feel like I'm in a parent-teacher conference and I'm the child and they'll be discussing my future.   

I do appreciate the thoroughness of KS.

It's just that I feel like the finish keeps moving back.

I want to move on but I'm caught in a vicious loop that gets more and more intense when I just want to move on..

I think if I read it anymore, I going to start to think that it sucks! lol

Time for a break!     

« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 02:34:59 pm by Tom Swyers »

Offline amdonehere

• View Profile
    « Reply #187 on: May 16, 2017, 12:52:58 pm »
    With Tom's permission, I'm now ready to post some tips and info about my KS campaign that might help some of you.

I'm a disciple of the Tom Swyer School of Kindle Scouting. That means, I submitted to KS to use it as a book launch platform with the assumption that my book will not be selected. The reason for this assumption is that the selection rate is very low at 2-3%. If your only goal is to be selected for a KP contract, then the info I share here may not be useful to you.

OTOH, if you want to try to use KS as a way to build buzz, then read on.

I originally entered my book, Eternal Flame, into KS for 3 reasons (in order of priority):

1. To use the KS page as a way to tout & sell my current books. Visibility is so hard to get. I thought I could use the Author Info and 3Qs section to show my books to new readers.

2. To use KS as a way to build buzz for the release of Eternal Flame.

3. On the off chance I got selected, maybe I can finally have a book that would hit the Amazon top 100 list.

Goal #1 was DOA. I discovered within a few days in that the KS site is not a place with a lot of readers traffic. While there are some readers who are Scout readers, it seems to me that many are driven there by authors who submitted books. I came to this conclusion because I've found that to get on the H&T list, you really only need to reach an estimate of 100 page views per day. 100 to me is pretty low, especially when half of that came from your readers + F&F (most Scouters report externals between 40-60%).

Goal #3 was out of my control, so nothing I could do. And being that I began with assuming my book wouldn't be selected, I turned my entire effort toward Goal #2.

About H&T:

1. While it might factor into selection, it really has no correlation to final selection. I think we've all come to this conclusion.

2. H&T might boost your ego and make you feel good if you get on the list, but ego doesn't translate into sales and honestly, is pretty worthless. So don't let it drive you either way.

3. The more important thing here is Page Views. If you're using KS to launch and build buzz, you want to maximize your page views. A high page view will result in H&T, but keep page views as your goal.

4. Appearing on H&T could be good marketing when you drive new readers to the KS site to look at your book.

So my point is, adjust your outlook as to why you want your book to be on the H&T list. Make it a strategic promo matter, and not about validating your book or making yourself feel good (or on the flip side, don't let it make you feel bad either).

Now -- Prepping. I needed to maximize exposure of my book to readers. Here's what I did:

1. As soon as I received the link to my KS page from the Scout Team, I created a redirect so my link was: www.alexakang.com/vote-eternal-flame. This was to help branding, to make it easy for readers to remember the book title, and to show them an immediate CTA message. Also, as soon as I was not selected, I was able to terminate any links floating around on the web that might lead readers to the old page where they could find out that the book was not selected. That would not be good for branding.

2. I updated all the back matters of my current books to include Eternal Flame's book cover, blurbs, and link to the KS page. (But remember to change them ASAP if your book is not selected.)

3. I created an Instafreebie giveaway with the book cover, the excerpt shown on the KS page, with a CTA to vote at the end.

4. I uploaded the excerpted chapters with book cover on Wattpad. Since the excerpt ran through 2 chapters, for media for Chapter 1, I uploaded my book trailer. For chapter 2, I included an image post with cover and CTA on the top asking people to vote. I figured that while Wattpad readers aren't good at crossing over to buy, they might consider voting to get a free book so it doesn't hurt. Surprisingly, at least one reader commented that she was not in a country that could vote, but I saw on her profile that she had marked my book as "to buy."

5. My biggest mistake -- I did a Cover Reveal 2 weeks before my campaign began. Normally, Cover Reveal is a reliable way for me to generate interest during pre-launch. But this time, it ended up that I got only 1/3 of the reach on FB when I actually unveiled my campaign. So I would not advise doing a Cover Reveal if you do KS. Wait till you officially begin your campaign to kick things off and maximize your reach when campaign begins.

6. KS page stuff -- I maximized use of the bottom of my page in every way, in case a reader stopped by. For Author bio, I mainly showed info about my current books. The answers to my 3 Qs were also about my current books, and I definitely enabled view of covers of other books I'd written. For links, I included all my social media, plus the Instafreebie link to my ongoing giveaway (this is not the excerpt of my KS submission, it's an IF giveaway so readers can get a freebie even before my campaign ended.) In the end, I don't think this prepping effort did a whole lot, because I don't think there were that many page views from internal KS readers. But it looked nice for readers who I drove to my page.

About internal KS readers -- I write primarily WWII historical fiction. Looking at the KS submissions, I don't think there were many readers of other authors who submitted who would cross over. My stats throughout showed I had 40/60% internal vs. external. This is something to keep in mind if you're considering submission. I do think the KS team look at internal views. If you submit a book that doesn't appeal to readers of the genres that are often submitted to KS, it could hurt you that way if your goal is to get selected.

Buzz Build - Phase One

I began by posting about my campaign on social media, mainly my FB author page, Twitter, and one relevant FB group. The FB author page will become a very important tool going forward.

I divided my newsletter subscribers into small groups and sent out NL regarding my campaign over the course of 2 weeks. This ensured that I had a constant stream of Page Views during the 2-week period. Doing this also helped me test different promo images, and eliminate the ones that didn't attract readers for when I finally release my book.

I used Author Shout, which got me onto the H&T list for one day early on.

I tried some very low budget FB ads and boost posts. It was interesting to see the responses, but I would not recommend spending a lot of $$ on this.

Buzz Build - Phase Two

Midway into my campaign was when I went all out. It was when my newsletter promotion would end, and I needed to do something else to continue generating interest.

BOOK TRAILER RELEASE

First, I released a book trailer. I'd always have a hard time figuring out how to utilize book trailers as promos. It turned out, A book trailer worked very well as a pre-release promo tool. My trailer had hundreds of views both on FB and YouTube. But more about how the numbers came to be later. The book trailer kicked off the next phase of my campaign because, if you've already told your subscribers once about your book, you need some new reason to tell them about it again. For me, it was the trailer.

To effectively promote, my goal was to reach critical mass. My next promo efforts would all be direct toward that. So here goes:

Leveraging opportunity -- College Class Reunion

It so happened that my college reunion was coming up. I went to a pretty big university and my class had about 2000 people. My class reunion committee was looking for ways to create news in our class FB group. I volunteered to showcase books of the authors in our class on my website, and did a FB interview of a class author each night leading up to our reunion weekend. By doing this, I was able to show my own book to my class and promote myself. My book trailer and KS page link were shown prominently at the bottom of each page that featured our class authors' books. This added to my book trailer views, and pushed me back onto the H&T list mid-way through the campaign. I'm sure I got some votes out of it too.

Best Indie Press KS Promo Service

Immediately after I set off the class reunion effort, I used the promo service that Tom Swyer recommended. This service is offered by Jessica Rose. Link is here: http://unbouncepages.com/bestindiepress_kindlescout/

This is a paid service, and it is not cheap at $250 (200 for Kboarders with the discount code). BUT! for my goal of book release, it made a lot of sense. Her promo ran for 4 days. A newsletter went out to readers each day and and featured only my book and a link to my book trailer. The newsletter was segmented into 4 different genres. This was very helpful as by the end, it gave me stats to show which genre's readers were most interested in my book. This will help me with choosing categories when I'm ready to publish.

Another very important feature of her campaign was that I must offer to give voters my book even if it wasn't selected. How that works is that I will set up free days in KU, and voters must subscribe in order to receive my alert when the book becomes available for free download. No other KS promo service offers this, so when your KS run ends, you receive no real value beyond KS votes. Jessica's service, OTOH, will get you newsletter subscribers. My campaign ended a week ago. As of today, I have gained 139 new subscribers from her service.

Now, back to the campaign. From the KS dashboard, my reported Page Views during her 4-day campaign:

Day 1 - 608
    Day 2 - 527
    Day 3 - 234
    Day 4 - 205

These are the views that KS actually counted. On Jessica's end, the views are much higher. Day one almost reached 1000, and Day 4 actually broke 1000.

We suspect that KS under count page views if the reader doesn't linger on the page. If this is true, then I think it really didn't accurately reflect whether readers were interested in my book. My campaign already gave prospective readers all the info they needed about my book before they got to my KS page. The only thing I didn't offer was the excerpt. So unless a reader wants to read the excerpt, they might've made up their mind already whether or not to vote.

In the end, Jessica's service helped me reach thousands of new readers whom I couldn't have reached otherwise.

I was also able to use her service to drive readers to my FB page. Instead of using a YouTube link to my trailer, I used the link to the FB post of my trailer. I boosted that post for $5, and that gave me the option to add a "Learn More" button that went to my KS page. The button helped me to track how many viewers of clicked onto my KS page after viewing the trailer. In total, my trailer had 921 reach and 395 views, plus 150 clicks. (Before Jessica's campaign, there had been about 25 views, and the FB boost post only netted 5 clicks, so most of it was from her service.)

I'd gotten new likes from her promo. After Amazon message went out that my book wasn't selected, I gained additional new likes too. I don't know where these readers came from, but it seemed that readers actually came to my FB page and followed after they'd learned that my book wasn't selected.

Jessica sent out a final reminder at the end of my campaign, which gave me a second round of exposure. All is all, I think the price was well worth it for what I set out to do.

Instafreebie

After Jessica's 4-day promo, I needed something else to sustain the momentum. I hosted a Instafreebie historical fiction Xpromo giveaway. This, again, helped me reach critical mass. The Xpromo began and now I got multiple authors in my genre all sending out newsletters and driving their subscribers to the promo page on my site during the 5-day giveaway period. Also, Instafreebie sent out their own newsletter during the last day of the promo, driving yet more readers of my target genre to me. This time, I didn't include my own giveaway book. Instead, I featured my trailer below the books being given away, as well as the link to my KS page. At the time, I showed the trailer as posted on YouTube because I didn't know how to embed the trailer on my FB page into Wordpress, which was a lost opportunity to net some new FB followers.  But the YouTube stats showed that I had 226 views total. About 20 of that was from myself as I set things up. But 200 views really exceeded what most book trailers could achieve.

From my Instafreebie promo, I also gained 123 new subscribers just with my Pop-up sign up form. And this time I didn't even offer my own IF giveaway book. But most importantly, I was able to leverage IF to gain new readers while helping to promote fellow authors.

In total, I'd gained 262 subscribers to date from my KS run.

Last Stretch

Jessica's reminder email, combined with IF's own newsletter, gave me a final boost the last 3 days of my campaign. In the end, I had 4.4K page views.

Going Forward

I'm now setting up to release my book next week. Will all this help me with a successful launch? I hope so. The 139 subscribers I'd gained from my KS run will all get a free copy via KU download. I have never done a launch with distribution of free copies before, so I hope these readers will help post reviews. I'd already heard from some of them, which is nice as it shows that there are readers interest for my book.

To cultivate their interest, when they signed up, my confirmation message included a link to my Instafreebie giveaway book. Yesterday, I sent them a TY email to remind them to be on the look out for my alert on when the book will be available for free download. I also included in the email a flash fiction story I'd written for an anthology I'd participated in last X'mas. The anthology is free on Amazon, and today, it jumped back up to the 4ks in free rank after I'd given the link in my newsletter. I think I'd given the new readers enough of a taste of my writing. Hopefully, they'll like my work it'll all result in something.

I realize that my post is very long. But if you're still with me, I hope the info I share will help you with a launch and also to gain new readers. I know many Scouters are newbie authors, Newbie authors often say they don't know how to get started. It is not enough to simply upload your first book on Amazon. Perhaps you can use this post as blueprint to begin your self-pub journey.

In summary:

1. Get all your ducks lined up - Website and FB author page is a must. Set up for mailing list sign-ups. Post the excerpt of your book on Instafreebie. Make a good trailer if you can.

2. Look for opportunities to reach critical mass. I didn't pay for reaching my college reunion class, and I didn't pay for Instafreebie. You must also find your own ops around you.

3. Jessica Rose' service -- I highly recommend this one. It will set you up to build your author's platform if you're a noob. And if you've been around the block, it can help you expand. Here's her link again: http://unbouncepages.com/bestindiepress_kindlescout/
    « Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 03:36:21 pm by AlexaKang »

Offline Tom Swyers

• View Profile
    « Reply #188 on: May 19, 2017, 05:28:35 am »
    Hi Alexa,

Wow, thanks for sharing a detailed description of your strategy and results.

I love your creative thinking!

Here's an update on The Killdeer Connection .

I am waiting for the Amazon editors to return the MS to me after it was submitted with some edits on May 3rd. It supposed to go for a round of copy edits. They said it would be back in my hands by May 29th.

Key: if your book is not selected, you have an advantage. You can release it immediately after your campaign is done using the Kindle Scout platform for a launch while the book is still fresh in readers' minds.

My book was selected on April 11th. I don't see it being made publicly available until July 11th, and perhaps later. That's three months! People may well have forgotten about my book by the time it's released. 

Offline Nikki Landis Author

• View Profile
    « Reply #189 on: May 25, 2017, 09:58:20 am »
    With Tom's permission, I'm now ready to post some tips and info about my KS campaign that might help some of you.

I'm a disciple of the Tom Swyer School of Kindle Scouting. That means, I submitted to KS to use it as a book launch platform with the assumption that my book will not be selected. The reason for this assumption is that the selection rate is very low at 2-3%. If your only goal is to be selected for a KP contract, then the info I share here may not be useful to you.

OTOH, if you want to try to use KS as a way to build buzz, then read on.

I originally entered my book, Eternal Flame, into KS for 3 reasons (in order of priority):

1. To use the KS page as a way to tout & sell my current books. Visibility is so hard to get. I thought I could use the Author Info and 3Qs section to show my books to new readers.

2. To use KS as a way to build buzz for the release of Eternal Flame.

3. On the off chance I got selected, maybe I can finally have a book that would hit the Amazon top 100 list.

Goal #1 was DOA. I discovered within a few days in that the KS site is not a place with a lot of readers traffic. While there are some readers who are Scout readers, it seems to me that many are driven there by authors who submitted books. I came to this conclusion because I've found that to get on the H&T list, you really only need to reach an estimate of 100 page views per day. 100 to me is pretty low, especially when half of that came from your readers + F&F (most Scouters report externals between 40-60%).

Goal #3 was out of my control, so nothing I could do. And being that I began with assuming my book wouldn't be selected, I turned my entire effort toward Goal #2.

About H&T:

1. While it might factor into selection, it really has no correlation to final selection. I think we've all come to this conclusion.

2. H&T might boost your ego and make you feel good if you get on the list, but ego doesn't translate into sales and honestly, is pretty worthless. So don't let it drive you either way.

3. The more important thing here is Page Views. If you're using KS to launch and build buzz, you want to maximize your page views. A high page view will result in H&T, but keep page views as your goal.

4. Appearing on H&T could be good marketing when you drive new readers to the KS site to look at your book.

So my point is, adjust your outlook as to why you want your book to be on the H&T list. Make it a strategic promo matter, and not about validating your book or making yourself feel good (or on the flip side, don't let it make you feel bad either).

Now -- Prepping. I needed to maximize exposure of my book to readers. Here's what I did:

1. As soon as I received the link to my KS page from the Scout Team, I created a redirect so my link was: www.alexakang.com/vote-eternal-flame. This was to help branding, to make it easy for readers to remember the book title, and to show them an immediate CTA message. Also, as soon as I was not selected, I was able to terminate any links floating around on the web that might lead readers to the old page where they could find out that the book was not selected. That would not be good for branding.

2. I updated all the back matters of my current books to include Eternal Flame's book cover, blurbs, and link to the KS page. (But remember to change them ASAP if your book is not selected.)

3. I created an Instafreebie giveaway with the book cover, the excerpt shown on the KS page, with a CTA to vote at the end.

4. I uploaded the excerpted chapters with book cover on Wattpad. Since the excerpt ran through 2 chapters, for media for Chapter 1, I uploaded my book trailer. For chapter 2, I included an image post with cover and CTA on the top asking people to vote. I figured that while Wattpad readers aren't good at crossing over to buy, they might consider voting to get a free book so it doesn't hurt. Surprisingly, at least one reader commented that she was not in a country that could vote, but I saw on her profile that she had marked my book as "to buy."

5. My biggest mistake -- I did a Cover Reveal 2 weeks before my campaign began. Normally, Cover Reveal is a reliable way for me to generate interest during pre-launch. But this time, it ended up that I got only 1/3 of the reach on FB when I actually unveiled my campaign. So I would not advise doing a Cover Reveal if you do KS. Wait till you officially begin your campaign to kick things off and maximize your reach when campaign begins.

6. KS page stuff -- I maximized use of the bottom of my page in every way, in case a reader stopped by. For Author bio, I mainly showed info about my current books. The answers to my 3 Qs were also about my current books, and I definitely enabled view of covers of other books I'd written. For links, I included all my social media, plus the Instafreebie link to my ongoing giveaway (this is not the excerpt of my KS submission, it's an IF giveaway so readers can get a freebie even before my campaign ended.) In the end, I don't think this prepping effort did a whole lot, because I don't think there were that many page views from internal KS readers. But it looked nice for readers who I drove to my page.

About internal KS readers -- I write primarily WWII historical fiction. Looking at the KS submissions, I don't think there were many readers of other authors who submitted who would cross over. My stats throughout showed I had 40/60% internal vs. external. This is something to keep in mind if you're considering submission. I do think the KS team look at internal views. If you submit a book that doesn't appeal to readers of the genres that are often submitted to KS, it could hurt you that way if your goal is to get selected.

Buzz Build - Phase One

I began by posting about my campaign on social media, mainly my FB author page, Twitter, and one relevant FB group. The FB author page will become a very important tool going forward.

I divided my newsletter subscribers into small groups and sent out NL regarding my campaign over the course of 2 weeks. This ensured that I had a constant stream of Page Views during the 2-week period. Doing this also helped me test different promo images, and eliminate the ones that didn't attract readers for when I finally release my book.

I used Author Shout, which got me onto the H&T list for one day early on.

I tried some very low budget FB ads and boost posts. It was interesting to see the responses, but I would not recommend spending a lot of $$ on this.

Buzz Build - Phase Two

Midway into my campaign was when I went all out. It was when my newsletter promotion would end, and I needed to do something else to continue generating interest.

BOOK TRAILER RELEASE

First, I released a book trailer. I'd always have a hard time figuring out how to utilize book trailers as promos. It turned out, A book trailer worked very well as a pre-release promo tool. My trailer had hundreds of views both on FB and YouTube. But more about how the numbers came to be later. The book trailer kicked off the next phase of my campaign because, if you've already told your subscribers once about your book, you need some new reason to tell them about it again. For me, it was the trailer.

To effectively promote, my goal was to reach critical mass. My next promo efforts would all be direct toward that. So here goes:

Leveraging opportunity -- College Class Reunion

It so happened that my college reunion was coming up. I went to a pretty big university and my class had about 2000 people. My class reunion committee was looking for ways to create news in our class FB group. I volunteered to showcase books of the authors in our class on my website, and did a FB interview of a class author each night leading up to our reunion weekend. By doing this, I was able to show my own book to my class and promote myself. My book trailer and KS page link were shown prominently at the bottom of each page that featured our class authors' books. This added to my book trailer views, and pushed me back onto the H&T list mid-way through the campaign. I'm sure I got some votes out of it too.

Immediately after I set off the class reunion effort, I used the promo service that Tom Swyer recommended. This service is offered by Jessica Rose. Link is here: http://unbouncepages.com/bestindiepress_kindlescout/

This is a paid service, and it is not cheap at $250 (200 for Kboarders with the discount code). BUT! for my goal of book release, it made a lot of sense. Her promo ran for 4 days. A newsletter went out to readers each day and and featured only my book and a link to my book trailer. The newsletter was segmented into 4 different genres. This was very helpful as by the end, it gave me stats to show which genre's readers were most interested in my book. This will help me with choosing categories when I'm ready to publish.

Another very important feature of her campaign was that I must offer to give voters my book even if it wasn't selected. How that works is that I will set up free days in KU, and voters must subscribe in order to receive my alert when the book becomes available for free download. No other KS promo service offers this, so when your KS run ends, you receive no real value beyond KS votes. Jessica's service, OTOH, will get you newsletter subscribers. My campaign ended a week ago. As of today, I have gained 139 new subscribers from her service.

Now, back to the campaign. From the KS dashboard, my reported Page Views during her 4-day campaign:

Day 1 - 608
    Day 2 - 527
    Day 3 - 234
    Day 4 - 205

These are the views that KS actually counted. On Jessica's end, the views are much higher. Day one almost reached 1000, and Day 4 actually broke 1000.

We suspect that KS under count page views if the reader doesn't linger on the page. If this is true, then I think it really didn't accurately reflect whether readers were interested in my book. My campaign already gave prospective readers all the info they needed about my book before they got to my KS page. The only thing I didn't offer was the excerpt. So unless a reader wants to read the excerpt, they might've made up their mind already whether or not to vote.

In the end, Jessica's service helped me reach thousands of new readers whom I couldn't have reached otherwise.

I was also able to use her service to drive readers to my FB page. Instead of using a YouTube link to my trailer, I used the link to the FB post of my trailer. I boosted that post for $5, and that gave me the option to add a "Learn More" button that went to my KS page. The button helped me to track how many viewers of clicked onto my KS page after viewing the trailer. In total, my trailer had 921 reach and 395 views, plus 150 clicks. (Before Jessica's campaign, there had been about 25 views, and the FB boost post only netted 5 clicks, so most of it was from her service.)

I'd gotten new likes from her promo. After Amazon message went out that my book wasn't selected, I gained additional new likes too. I don't know where these readers came from, but it seemed that readers actually came to my FB page and followed after they'd learned that my book wasn't selected.

Jessica sent out a final reminder at the end of my campaign, which gave me a second round of exposure. All is all, I think the price was well worth it for what I set out to do.

Instafreebie

After Jessica's 4-day promo, I needed something else to sustain the momentum. I hosted a Instafreebie historical fiction Xpromo giveaway. This, again, helped me reach critical mass. The Xpromo began and now I got multiple authors in my genre all sending out newsletters and driving their subscribers to the promo page on my site during the 5-day giveaway period. Also, Instafreebie sent out their own newsletter during the last day of the promo, driving yet more readers of my target genre to me. This time, I didn't include my own giveaway book. Instead, I featured my trailer below the books being given away, as well as the link to my KS page. At the time, I showed the trailer as posted on YouTube because I didn't know how to embed the trailer on my FB page into Wordpress, which was a lost opportunity to net some new FB followers.  But the YouTube stats showed that I had 226 views total. About 20 of that was from myself as I set things up. But 200 views really exceeded what most book trailers could achieve.

From my Instafreebie promo, I also gained 123 new subscribers just with my Pop-up sign up form. And this time I didn't even offer my own IF giveaway book. But most importantly, I was able to leverage IF to gain new readers while helping to promote fellow authors.

Last Stretch

Jessica's reminder email, combined with IF's own newsletter, gave me a final boost the last 3 days of my campaign. In the end, I had 4.4K page views.

Going Forward

I'm now setting up to release my book next week. Will all this help me with a successful launch? I hope so. The 139 subscribers I'd gained from my KS run will all get a free copy via KU download. I have never done a launch with distribution of free copies before, so I hope these readers will help post reviews. I'd already heard from some of them, which is nice as it shows that there are readers interest for my book.

To cultivate their interest, when they signed up, my confirmation message included a link to my Instafreebie giveaway book. Yesterday, I sent them a TY email to remind them to be on the look out for my alert on when the book will be available for free download. I also included in the email a flash fiction story I'd written for an anthology I'd participated in last X'mas. The anthology is free on Amazon, and today, it jumped back up to the 4ks in free rank after I'd given the link in my newsletter. I think I'd given the new readers enough of a taste of my writing. Hopefully, they'll like my work it'll all result in something.

I realize that my post is very long. But if you're still with me, I hope the info I share will help you with a launch and also to gain new readers. I know many Scouters are newbie authors, Newbie authors often say they don't know how to get started. It is not enough to simply upload your first book on Amazon. Perhaps you can use this post as blueprint to begin your self-pub journey.

In summary:

1. Get all your ducks lined up - Website and FB author page is a must. Set up for mailing list sign-ups. Post the excerpt of your book on Instafreebie. Make a good trailer if you can.

2. Look for opportunities to reach critical mass. I didn't pay for reaching my college reunion class, and I didn't pay for Instafreebie. You must also find your own ops around you.

3. Jessica Rose' service -- I highly recommend this one. It will set you up to build your author's platform if you're a noob. And if you've been around the block, it can help you expand. Here's her link again: http://unbouncepages.com/bestindiepress_kindlescout/

Hello! I'm also following this approach to my campaign and just booked with Jessica. We are all set to go and launch June 1st - 4th for my campaign. I have a few questions and I hope it's ok to ask for help. I need to update my final statement/email that readers will receive at the end of the competition so they can sign up for my email list (per Jessica) and I need to create a redirect link. I have no idea how to do this. I suppose I need to contact KS and ask to update my message. Any thoughts? Also, the redirect link, I'm at a total loss but I don't want people to end up all over once my campaign is over. Any help on this is much appreciated.

So far, I seem to be doing well. My stats day 11 are: 2.7 K page views (my focus), 175 of 264 in H&T, and adding to my email subscriber list by putting an excerpt on Instafreebie. Any thoughts on how to link that to my campaign? My Twitter and Facebook, Goodreads, and blog have also added to their numbers. I utilize them constantly.

I have learned SO MUCH from this board and I am so thankful. I am running a better campaign than I ever would have before Kboards. Thank you in advance for your help. Oh, my book is Fallen from Grace, 18 days left. I am trying so hard not to obsess over this campaign and failing miserably, Lol.  :o :o :o

Offline amdonehere

• View Profile
    « Reply #190 on: May 25, 2017, 01:39:07 pm »
    Nikki,

Hello! I'm also following this approach to my campaign and just booked with Jessica. We are all set to go and launch June 1st - 4th for my campaign. I have a few questions and I hope it's ok to ask for help. I need to update my final statement/email that readers will receive at the end of the competition so they can sign up for my email list (per Jessica) and I need to create a redirect link. I have no idea how to do this. I suppose I need to contact KS and ask to update my message. Any thoughts? Also, the redirect link, I'm at a total loss but I don't want people to end up all over once my campaign is over. Any help on this is much appreciated.

Yes. Contact the KS team ASAP and give them a replacement message. They'll change it for you. They're very helpful and responsive.

For redirection, if you have a Wordpress website, you can download the "Redirection" plugin. That's what I use. After you download it, it'll appear in "Tools" on your dashboard column and you can create redirections there.

If you don't have a WP website then there must be other ways but I don't know, you'll have to google or youtube for tutorials. Or you can use bit.ly, but bit.ly might turn off some people. OTOH, bit.ly can also help you track links so there are pros and cons.

So far, I seem to be doing well. My stats day 11 are: 2.7 K page views (my focus), 175 of 264 in H&T, and adding to my email subscriber list by putting an excerpt on Instafreebie. Any thoughts on how to link that to my campaign?

Add a backmatter to the Instafreebie giveaway like you would any other book, and put the CTA and link there.

My Twitter and Facebook, Goodreads, and blog have also added to their numbers. I utilize them constantly.

I have learned SO MUCH from this board and I am so thankful. I am running a better campaign than I ever would have before Kboards. Thank you in advance for your help. Oh, my book is Fallen from Grace, 18 days left. I am trying so hard not to obsess over this campaign and failing miserably, Lol.  :o :o :o

Good luck!

Offline Used To Be BH

• View Profile
    « Reply #191 on: May 25, 2017, 01:54:54 pm »
    My book was selected on April 11th. I don't see it being made publicly available until July 11th, and perhaps later. That's three months! People may well have forgotten about my book by the time it's released. 
    Waiting is always painful! However, imagine what it would be like with most traditional publishers. Sometimes the wait is as long as three years, but never as short as three months.

Also, it may not be as much of a disadvantage relative to not being selected as you think. Authors of rejected books have to strike fast, before the nominators forget, in the hopes that some of them will buy. Nominators of selected books get a free copy, which I imagine most of them claim, and which I know counts as a sale for ranking purposes. In other words, it's not as much of a chore to lasso the nominators if the book is selected as it may be if the book is rejected.
    « Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 07:31:52 am by Bill Hiatt »
    I have not consented to the new Terms of Service, which were implemented without any announcement and without the ability to accept or reject them. My continued participation on the forum is related only to addressing this issue and cannot be construed as implied consent.  9/19/2018

• View Profile
    « Reply #192 on: May 25, 2017, 03:56:51 pm »
    Nikki,

Yes. Contact the KS team ASAP and give them a replacement message. They'll change it for you. They're very helpful and responsive.

For redirection, if you have a Wordpress website, you can download the "Redirection" plugin. That's what I use. After you download it, it'll appear in "Tools" on your dashboard column and you can create redirections there.

If you don't have a WP website then there must be other ways but I don't know, you'll have to google or youtube for tutorials. Or you can use bit.ly, but bit.ly might turn off some people. OTOH, bit.ly can also help you track links so there are pros and cons.

Add a backmatter to the Instafreebie giveaway like you would any other book, and put the CTA and link there.

Good luck!

Oh boy, I am in trouble. Pretty much all that you just said is Greek to me.  :o :-[ I think I have a lot of hours ahead of me figuring this out. I don't have a paid wordpress site so I can't install plugins. Looks like Google just became my best friend. Yikes!

Thanks for the help. I appreciate your response.

• View Profile
    « Reply #193 on: May 25, 2017, 04:50:37 pm »

Instafreebie

What did you use for your newsletter? I have mailchimp for my newsletter sign-ups and Instafreebie. May I ask what link you used? I need to offer the same promo deal for Jessica. Thanks!

Offline Tom Swyers

• View Profile
    « Reply #194 on: May 28, 2017, 03:47:26 am »
    I'm so glad to see this thread lives on!.

Here's an update from me.

My MS for "The Killdeer Connection" was sent to Kirkus on 5/3 for edits. Promised delivery was 5/29. Actual delivery was 5/24. Five days early! Their work included an editorial letter and then the edited MS.

Editor's overall comment: "Thank you for the opportunity to read your fantastic novel. It is a real page-turner! Your plot is entertaining, and your characters are well developedI am sure that this book is going to be a big hit with your readers."

My comment: The editor, Valerie, did a wonderful job. She was meticulous in copy editing (for example, doing actual research on locations) and offered well-thought out points on minor potential plot issues.

Upon closer review, however, I realized that some of her statements about happenings in the book were factually incorrect. She stated some things that were contradicted in the early part of the book itself.  BUT what this means to me is that I might need to reemphasize those points later in the book again.

I'll never forget a story told to me by Margot Livesey, a wonderful writer, She had two different editors assigned to her in two different cities by a publishing house. One said one chapter was too long; the other said it was too short. Margot's conclusion: something was wrong with the chapter. 

The next step for me is to accept/reject the copy edits/othereidts and do some story tweaking as suggested above. After I submit it again, it's done and will go into preorder status for a month and everyone who nominated the book will get their free copy. That will last for about a month before it goes live.

Offline amdonehere

• View Profile
    « Reply #195 on: May 28, 2017, 12:54:50 pm »
    What did you use for your newsletter? I have mailchimp for my newsletter sign-ups and Instafreebie. May I ask what link you used? I need to offer the same promo deal for Jessica. Thanks!

Nikki, I didn't see your post until just now. I use mailchimp and gave Jessica the link to my sign up form.

Hope it's not too late.

But I'll be migrating to Mailerlite because MC is more expensive.

Offline Dolphin

• Under the Sea
    • Skree'ee--eee, eeek!
      • View Profile
    « Reply #196 on: May 28, 2017, 02:48:58 pm »
    I'll never forget a story told to me by Margot Livesey, a wonderful writer, She had two different editors assigned to her in two different cities by a publishing house. One said one chapter was too long; the other said it was too short. Margot's conclusion: something was wrong with the chapter. 

I think you're onto something there. Thanks for the thread, and for continuing to share your insights!

I had wondered about exactly your approach before I found this gem. Submitting to Scout seems like a good, cheap way for a new author to get a few hundred new eyeballs in the worst case scenario, and a whirlwind crash course in Amazon's version of tradpub at best. I'm glad it's been working out that way for you.

• View Profile
    « Reply #197 on: June 03, 2017, 10:10:18 am »
    Nikki, I didn't see your post until just now. I use mailchimp and gave Jessica the link to my sign up form.

Hope it's not too late.

But I'll be migrating to Mailerlite because MC is more expensive.

Thanks Alexa! The only thing I haven't figured out is how to redirect that campaign link. I've got 9 days left so I'm sure I'll get it done before the end. So far so good with Fallen from Grace. Thanks for all your help!  :D

Offline Tom Swyers

• View Profile
    « Reply #198 on: June 14, 2017, 03:30:21 am »
    Update.

Last night, I submitted the final MS for The Killdeer Connection after receiving the edits on May 24th.

So it's taken me and my editor 20 days to go through it again--longer than I would have liked.

There have been three other editors from Amazon or Kirkus who have edited the MS to one degree or another.   

So it should go into production mode now and be available for preorder in the next two weeks. At that point, anyone who nominated the book should be able to get their free copy.

A month from then, it should be available for public release.

Tip: With Kindle Press, they have no limit on the number of categories you can list your book under. Any author should research the categories on Kindle to find the ones that apply to their book. I found thirteen and have requested that Kindle Press list the book under all of them.

Offline Tom Swyers

• View Profile
    « Reply #199 on: July 13, 2017, 02:50:15 am »
    Update:

This Monday, The Killdeer Connection went live for preorder.

You can preorder it here for $3.99: http://hyperurl.co/PreorderKilldeer

Thank you for your support!

(The preorder period will last one month until the book is officially released on Augst 8th).

I submitted the book to go live on June 13th (with edits) and it went live on July 10th.

I wish it didn't take that long, but that was out of my control.

I put that time to good use in planning a campaign during the preorder period.

The preorder price is set for me by Kindle Press at $3.99.

If you are not selected by Kindle Scout, you can price your book as you wish. That's a good option to have as right now I'm competing with Prime Day book sales including a sale that has all Kindle Scout prior selections being offered for .99.

I'm fine with that. I don't want my new release priced at .99--not after the Kindle Scout campaign I went through which garnered 8.4 k page views.

My preorder campaign is aimed at big name authors in my genre. Their price is like $9.99 to $14.99 for a new release. I can compete well on price. I also advertise a 7 day money back guarantee (from release). This is something Kindle offers for all ebooks but nobody uses that aspect in their campaigns.

All told,  I was selected April 11th and went live for preorder on  July 10th--almost 4 months to the day. I'd say half of that time was used in polishing the story while the other half was spent waiting.

With the delay, I feel like I've lost some momentum. Now I feel I'm back doing a Kindle Scout campaign all over again.

Today's Tip: Go Preorder

If you are not selected, my advice is to go Preorder for your Kindle Scout book for two weeks to one month.

Advanatges:

1. Your preorder sales will be counted towards your ranking during that period. If you can get on some of the hot new releases categories during that time during you will garner some organic sales due to more exposure not unlike being on the hot and trending list during your Scout campaign. If you are a new author, pricing it at .99 might be a good strategy.

2. If you don't go to preorder, you will be eligible for hot new releases only 30 days from launch. If you go preorder, you are eligible during your preorder period plus the 30 days after launch. Again, more exposure.   

2. Your preorder also bought list will start to populate if you get sales during your preorder giving you even more organic reach and exposure for sales. If you wait until launch, this might take a few days. One advantage to winning Kindle Scout is that your also bought list populates within a day of going to preorder (this is because Scouters who voted for you are claiming their free books)  giving you instant organic reach. (If you are not selected, you won't get those Scout also boughts until release. But you will get them for anyone who preorders).   

3. While you won't really get a rankings boost from sales on the day of your launch (this statement applies only to Amazon), I contend that you have the opportunity during preorder to tickle the Amazon algos much the same way as if you frontloaded a BookBub campaign. Amazon algos don't reward spikes. So if you have an upward curve in sales going into lauch day, Amazon will show you more love during launch.   

Note: I don't think any of the above applies if you are not going to do some ground work to get preorder sales.

Your Homework:

1.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkNJ9msoV1U&t=286s

Start at 1:30 and go to end. (Killdeer is in 13 categories).

2.    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yiz8UxGch3s&t=4s

Start at the beginning for this one and view until 4:50. Then fast forward to 5:41 to end.

3.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evDUE_XPJCs

Start at 13:15 in this video and go until the end.

4.    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDZLG12oR0Q&t=405s

Start at 5:27 and go to end on this video

Please consider supporting my work with a preorder of The Killdeer Connection: http://hyperurl.co/PreorderKilldeer

KBoards.com

• Advertisement