Author Topic: Anyone a Historical Mystery fan?  (Read 29390 times)  

Offline Trophywife007

• Central CA
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone a Historical Mystery fan?
« Reply #150 on: August 13, 2018, 09:05:50 am »
The next Lady Sherlock comes out on Oct. 2.  I'm on the waiting list at OverDrive... really enjoying this series.

I'm in love with St. Cyr.  Captain Lacey is good, too, although I wasn't as fond of the first in the series for some reason.  The next two really sold me on him.  I'm now reading the first in the Victoria Thompson series..  I prefer a UK setting but the story has been engaging so far.

Thanks for starting this thread, Atunah.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Gone 9/21/18

• View Profile
    « Reply #151 on: August 13, 2018, 02:33:03 pm »
    Have Rosemary Simpson's Gilded Age mysteries been mentioned here? Can't remember. Anyway, I read the first sometime ago and did like it. It's only $2.99 on Amazon and worth it. Just got the 2d from the library and by memory anyway, liked it more. There's a third available for pre-order. The price is jacked way up to $12.99, so I won't be trying it until the library has it. There are half a dozen authors I'll pay those kind of prices for to have their books the day they're released. C.S. Harris with the St. Cyr series is the only historical mystery author in that category. Also buy Sherri Cobb South's John Pickett series right away, but so far they haven't had such arrogant pricing.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JEJCA82
    I did not and will not consent to VerticalScope's TOS.

Offline readingril

• View Profile
    « Reply #152 on: August 22, 2018, 04:46:17 pm »

I am reading the 2nd in the Andrea Penrose series right now.

Liking them, liked the first. Not sure if they'll ever go to a romance here, maybe. Nothing at the moment though other than friendship and working together. Well, maybe a few slight signs of something further down. But he's a lord and she's who knows what. Still lots of seeeeecrets.  ;D
    Don't we all have that tshirt by now?  ;D

Just finished book #2... thanks for the rec(s)! Really enjoyed it, but the romance lover in me is pushing for more in book #3 (is there 'posed to be one?!?)!

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #153 on: August 22, 2018, 05:56:50 pm »
    Just finished book #2... thanks for the rec(s)! Really enjoyed it, but the romance lover in me is pushing for more in book #3 (is there 'posed to be one?!?)!
    I think so. Just based on the "moments" in the 2nd. Might not be a satisfying one, but we don't know her whole story yet. But they are going really slowwwwwwwwwwwwwww. Which is ok in mystery for me.  ;D

Thanks Ellen for the Simpson rec. No matter if it had been mentioned before, I would't remember it probably. My brain isn't what it used to be.  :P. I put the first on my waitlist.

Offline Trophywife007

• Central CA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #154 on: August 23, 2018, 08:08:03 pm »

Liking them, liked the first...

I'm going to try the first in the series.  Can't find it on OverDrive unfortunately.

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #155 on: August 24, 2018, 03:44:34 am »
    I'm going to try the first in the series.  Can't find it on OverDrive unfortunately.

I borrowed both the first and second via overdrive -- I think I may have had to request my library carry them. But they're definitely there.
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
    • Erm .....
      • View Profile
    « Reply #156 on: August 25, 2018, 01:57:52 am »

Liking them, liked the first.

This looks like a series I might enjoy but I looked at the first book and it's nearly nine quid, not available on KU and not available on Overdrive. I recommended it at the library but as far as I can remember, nothing I've ever requested has ever been picked up, so I'm not holding my breath.
    Linda

Offline readingril

• View Profile
    « Reply #157 on: August 25, 2018, 02:16:08 am »
    Maryland's Overdrive has never purchased a recommendation, but Brooklyn Overdrive ($50 / year) has purchased numerous recommendations and has this series!

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #158 on: August 25, 2018, 04:52:28 am »
    Maryland's Overdrive has never purchased a recommendation, but Brooklyn Overdrive ($50 / year) has purchased numerous recommendations and has this series!

I think Arlington County is the one I asked to buy it and they did. Or maybe Falls Church (Mary Stiles Riley library). I think as a Maryland resident you can get a card from either one, but you may have to visit in person.
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #159 on: August 25, 2018, 10:00:23 am »
    Yeah, I won't pay 12.99 either. Its at 2 of my libraries, my local and Brooklyn I pay for each year. I don't think I had to recommend it. Surely someone did.  8).

My local library used to be ok with buying my recs, last year, not so much. They will almost never get a historical romance if its not one of the super big names, but they have always gotten the historical mysteries I suggested. Well at least until the last year. They have been buying a lot more kids stuff, non fiction and "clean" things lately. Its why I have Brooklyn also. I also have Houston as its free for Texas residents and I didn't have to go there in person. But they are also smaller and so far have not bought anything I suggested.

Offline Trophywife007

• Central CA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #160 on: October 12, 2018, 08:43:57 am »
    ...I am reading the 2nd in the Andrea Penrose series right now.

Liking them, liked the first. Not sure if they'll ever go to a romance here, maybe. Nothing at the moment though other than friendship and working together. Well, maybe a few slight signs of something further down. But he's a lord and she's who knows what. Still lots of seeeeecrets.  ;D
    Don't we all have that tshirt by now?  ;D

I'm doing a happy dance: it appears that my Overdrive library got the first two in this series when I recommended them after seeing them on this thread.  Yay!  That button actually works sometimes.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #161 on: October 12, 2018, 09:48:55 am »
    Yay. You never know. Sometimes it just takes a while for the library to fit it in their budget. Hope you enjoy them.

Offline Jena H

• North Carolina
    • Desperate character
      • View Profile
    « Reply #162 on: January 18, 2019, 04:28:04 pm »
    I enjoyed the Stephen Attebrook mystery series by Jason Vail. It's set in 13th century England.

Don't be put off by the rather (imo) poor covers. They're better than they look, but wouldn't appeal to people who like cozies, I suspect. :)

ETA: I'd love to find some new series as well, but I very much prefer medieval. Haven't found any Regency ones I enjoyed. Another pretty good medieval HM is The Bookseller's Tale by Ann Swinfen. I'd recommend The Servant of the Crown series by Denise Domning too. It's a short series, but an enjoyable read.

I don't see that they've been mentioned but I kind of assume that any Historical Mystery fan has read Ellis Peters' iconic Cadfael novels. :)

I know this is sort of an old thread, but I want to second this recommendation.  The Brother Cadfael books are excellent, and the writing is superb.
    Jena

Offline Trophywife007

• Central CA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #163 on: January 18, 2019, 10:04:04 pm »
    I haven't read this series, so I have no idea of the quality, but it definitely fits the category. It's a short series of three books by Andrea Penrose. The first book is Sweet Revenge: A Lady Arianna Regency Mystery, set in 1813, featuring a young, aristocratic woman who is trying to discover her father's murderer by going undercover as a male French chef in an aristocratic household. Presumably, she must have some cooking expertise, although I have no idea where she would have gotten it.  :o Reviews also mention grammar/spelling errors, so read at your own risk.  ;D

I'm in the middle of the third book in this series and enjoy it very much.  It's not romantic, just the occasional hint, but the characters are engaging and the story builds from one book to the next.  I don't wear my editor's hat when reading but I have seen a few errors here and there but nothing terribly distracting.  YMMV.  Recommended!  Thanks, Worktolive!

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #164 on: January 19, 2019, 06:29:44 am »
    I know this is sort of an old thread, but I want to second this recommendation.  The Brother Cadfael books are excellent, and the writing is superb.
    I always appreciate some older stuff brought back up. Its so hard to keep up with everything. Now I remember why I didn't start reading this series yet, I can't figure out the reading order. That is what kept me last time. There seems to be a publication order, but on goodreads its not listed like that. I assume they list chronological, which is how I want to read. I can't stand going back in time so to speak in the middle of a series. Any ideas about the order of these books in that series? Its not the first series that keeps me from starting it because of those confusion about reading order.

eta: so I found out the 3 that are listed first before "A Morbid Taste for Bones" seem to be short stories prequels. I think this is what got me off track last time. I don't read shorts and its fine if I can skip them easy without missing a story, but its harder if they the start of a series. But looking further, those might not be the actual needed start so I should be ok just starting with what is called Book one. Yes, I am a might OCD about reading in order. 8)

I see its at one of my libraries so I am going to put it on the wait list there and see how I like it.
    « Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 06:34:17 am by Atunah »

Online Fogeydc

• View Profile
    « Reply #165 on: January 19, 2019, 06:54:10 am »
    I always appreciate some older stuff brought back up. Its so hard to keep up with everything. Now I remember why I didn't start reading this series yet, I can't figure out the reading order. That is what kept me last time. There seems to be a publication order, but on goodreads its not listed like that. I assume they list chronological, which is how I want to read. I can't stand going back in time so to speak in the middle of a series. Any ideas about the order of these books in that series? Its not the first series that keeps me from starting it because of those confusion about reading order.

check out the wiki entry at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadfael -- down at the bottom there's a list of the books; if you hover-mouse over each title it'll tell you the the year it's set in & when published. Maybe this'll help you get straight on what order you want to read.
    I haven't read much of the books (it's been a while, think I read one or two) but greatly enjoyed the TV series years ago.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #166 on: January 19, 2019, 08:14:53 am »
    check out the wiki entry at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadfael -- down at the bottom there's a list of the books; if you hover-mouse over each title it'll tell you the the year it's set in & when published. Maybe this'll help you get straight on what order you want to read.
    I haven't read much of the books (it's been a while, think I read one or two) but greatly enjoyed the TV series years ago.
    Thanks, I'll check out the link.

Wait, there is a TV series? I'll read the first book first though. I was able to enjoy the Inspector Lynley reading and also watching so that is not a problem for me.

Online Fogeydc

• View Profile
    « Reply #167 on: January 19, 2019, 08:47:52 am »
    Thanks, I'll check out the link.

Wait, there is a TV series? I'll read the first book first though. I was able to enjoy the Inspector Lynley reading and also watching so that is not a problem for me.

Yup. Derek Jacobi (who also did I Claudius among many other great things).
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadfael_(TV_series)
    Available on DVD.

Offline Jena H

• North Carolina
    • Desperate character
      • View Profile
    « Reply #168 on: January 19, 2019, 11:06:54 am »
    Yup. Derek Jacobi (who also did I Claudius among many other great things).
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadfael_(TV_series)
    Available on DVD.

The TV series is what got me into the books.   8) 

Here's the book series order.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cadfael_Chronicles    But luckily, there is almost no urgent need to read in order, if that's not possible.  Each book truly stands on its own.
    Jena

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #169 on: January 19, 2019, 01:52:13 pm »
    Here's the fictfact listing for the Cadfael series: https://www.fictfact.com/series/3601/cadfael

I read several before I realized it was a series and before on line 'keep track of what you read' sites. So I'm not sure what I've read and what I haven't. But I do remember that I enjoyed all I did read.
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline cheapdate

• View Profile
    « Reply #170 on: January 19, 2019, 02:42:59 pm »
    I enjoy the  Shardlake series by C J Sansom

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shardlake_series

Shardlake is a lawyer in London at the time of Henry 8th and the books always weave in some real historical events and characters along with the murder mystery. Shardlake starts off working for Thomas Cromwell ( of Wolf Hall fame) so is right in there with all the scandals at the heart of government and monarchy.

Im currently reading the 7th and latest book in the series Tombland

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B07D2C8KVM/ref=tmm_kin_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1547937669&sr=8-1

which Im enjoying because he leaves London for the country and it is actually set in the city where I live and the town where I grew up and most of the buildings and landmarks mentioned in the book are real places that were there in the 1500s and still here today so I can see it all in my minds eye because I have been to those places a million times in real life. My home town isnt well known so it is great that it is in such a fab series.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #171 on: January 27, 2019, 05:37:19 am »
    Shout out to Atunah!

THANK YOU for recommending the Sebastian St. Cyr series. I just finished #9 (Hero just had the baby) and am really REALLY enjoying it. The mysteries are complex, the history is accurate, and the romance is on point without being over the top. Kinda perfect, really. :) AND they're all available via my local libraries. Anyone who's following this thread and hasn't checked 'em out definitely should. Here's the first:

<cross posting to the female mystery writer's thread>
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
    • Erm .....
      • View Profile
    « Reply #172 on: January 27, 2019, 10:20:57 am »
    This sounds like exactly the sort of thing I would enjoy but it's too pricey on Amazon at 8.49  :o and not available on KU.

It's not available at my library either - I recommended it, but nothing I've recommended in the past has ever been picked up, so I won't be holding my breathe.  :(
    Linda

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #173 on: January 27, 2019, 11:29:52 am »
    Shout out to Atunah!

THANK YOU for recommending the Sebastian St. Cyr series. I just finished #9 (Hero just had the baby) and am really REALLY enjoying it. The mysteries are complex, the history is accurate, and the romance is on point without being over the top. Kinda perfect, really. :) AND they're all available via my local libraries. Anyone who's following this thread and hasn't checked 'em out definitely should. Here's the first:

<cross posting to the female mystery writer's thread>
    CROSSPOSTING TOO  :P
    ay, glad you loved them. Still my favorite historical mystery series of all time. I am pretty sure it was Ellenoc that may have mentioned them first at some point. I know its her favorite too. But I can't recall exactly now what made me first start them. I assume it was her rec on Kboards. But you know how memory goes.  ;D

I am savoring the last few so I don't get finished too fast. Cause what the heck am I going to do. I am one ahead of you. I read up to #10. There are only 3 more out now and #14 is going to be out in April. I have a feeling I'll read the 3 by then and then jump on the last one. Then I'll go in a corner and sob. Hopefully I'll have some more Ashley Gardner by then. Another HM I really enjoy. Captain Lacey is just a wee bit more ornery than Sebastian.  ;D

But yeah, I haven't found another series that is that intricate and layered like St. Cyr. Its like the perfect series for everything I love about historical mystery.

This sounds like exactly the sort of thing I would enjoy but it's too pricey on Amazon at 8.49  :o and not available on KU.

It's not available at my library either - I recommended it, but nothing I've recommended in the past has ever been picked up, so I won't be holding my breathe.  :(
    I been lucky that most have been at my library.

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #174 on: January 27, 2019, 05:07:40 pm »
    Honestly, Linda, they're worth it. :) But at that price per book you are definitely making a commitment!
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

KBoards.com

• Advertisement