Author Topic: Anyone a Historical Mystery fan?  (Read 33106 times)  

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
  • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone a Historical Mystery fan?
« Reply #100 on: October 19, 2017, 09:17:58 am »
Another entry in historical mysteries was recommended to me today.  One of the reviewers describes it as a "cozy historical".  For the price ($1.99) I am going to add it to the TBR pile.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #101 on: October 19, 2017, 09:27:26 am »
    Ah, a good way to figure out what cozy historical mystery is then.  ;D

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #102 on: October 19, 2017, 09:46:57 am »
    Ah, a good way to figure out what cozy historical mystery is then.  ;D

That's what I thought! However, the pre-order on book 2 is $12.99 for the Kindle edition  :o , so doubt I'll continue even if I like it.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Super Moderators-5
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #103 on: October 19, 2017, 10:19:03 am »
    That's what I thought! However, the pre-order on book 2 is $12.99 for the Kindle edition  :o , so doubt I'll continue even if I like it.

I think Agatha Christie is historical cozy -- except when she was writing they weren't historical, they were contemporary. :o

Anyway, you enablers have done your work again -- I bit. Not sure when I'll get to it -- at least two library borrows I have to give priority to. And, incidentally, if the new one is priced that high, that might mean it ends up available at the library. 'Cause I only have about 3 authors I'll pay that much for. :D
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #104 on: October 19, 2017, 10:36:20 am »
    woops. Yeah, I won't pay 12.99 for any fiction book. Yikes. I bought the first, but didn't realize the cost of the next.

Its published by Crooked Lane Books and I am not sure if that is a big enough publisher to get into libraries. the first one is not in any of mine. But there is still time, February 13th. If it doesn't come down way way more, I won't get it. But it will mess with my series order thingy.

You know, I love Ashley Gardners series and I always know, a new one will be $2.99 and I don't even have to think about it. I preorder those things. 12.99, snort.

Offline JRTomlin

• Leaving the forum
      • View Profile
    « Reply #105 on: October 19, 2017, 10:43:13 am »
    I do not accept the Terms of Service which were instituted without notification. I do not consent to VerticalScope reproducing content I posted on this forum in any newsletter, website, or another forum. I've requested account deletion; however, the owners of this forum REFUSE to delete my content. Further, I repudiate any association with ads that are sexist, racist, and demeaning to women which are now appearing on this site.
    « Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 10:33:04 am by JRTomlin »
    I do not accept the Terms of Service which were instituted without notification. I do not consent to VerticalScope reproducing content I posted on this forum in any newsletter, website, or another forum. I've requested account deletion; however, the owners of this forum REFUSE to delete my content. Further, I repudiate any association with ads that are sexist, racist, and demeaning to women which are now appearing on this site.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #106 on: October 19, 2017, 11:20:44 am »
    I don't consider the ones I read set during regency time to be cozy at all. CS Harris isn't cozy not in what that is suppose to mean when I read about it. I don't think time period has anything to do if something is cozy or not. Otherwise any mysteries set in contempo times would be cozy, or not cozy. Its in the tone and the overall telling of the stories I think.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Super Moderators-5
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #107 on: October 19, 2017, 12:02:29 pm »
    I don't consider the ones I read set during regency time to be cozy at all. CS Harris isn't cozy not in what that is suppose to mean when I read about it. I don't think time period has anything to do if something is cozy or not. Otherwise any mysteries set in contempo times would be cozy, or not cozy. Its in the tone and the overall telling of the stories I think.

Doesn't cozy more or less imply an ongoing romantic subplot of some sort? At least, most contemporary cozies seem to be that way. Or else the investigator is a contented single gal/guy who spends a lot of time resisting letting friends set 'em up.
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #108 on: October 19, 2017, 12:30:15 pm »
    Not to me. Most of the regular mysteries I read have some romantic sub plot or are hinted at, and I am pretty sure they aren't all cozy. Like I said, I would never consider the St. Cyr series to be a cozy. I can't recall all the mysteries I read, but some of them are pretty graphic and gritty and still have a romantic sub plot. And that is contemporary mysteries.

I read some of the cozies that were recommended here in the book corner thread and they have a different tone throughout and none of the graphic stuff in them. Graphic as in murders being graphic, or scenes like that.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #109 on: October 19, 2017, 03:20:33 pm »
    So that expensive book that comes out in February by Quincy? I did a search on a couple of my libraries and you have to check on the left recommended titles so you get stuff in overdrive, but not on library. Then you can recommend the book. That is what I did. So if they buy it, I will be automatically on the list. My local library actually really likes historical mysteries so there is a change they'll get it.

Offline Gone 9/21/18

• View Profile
    « Reply #110 on: October 19, 2017, 09:06:52 pm »
    Cozy: amateur detective, no swearing (or these days not much and mild), nothing graphic (either murder scenes or sex), set in "cozy" environment such as a village or neighborhood of bigger town or city where amateur detective has a circle of interesting friends and acquaintances. Romance is usually there, but not always, and even when it's there it's not a major part of any one story. It's more likely to be developed in a series.

I agree with Atunah - there's absolutely nothing cozy about Harris's Sebastian St. Cyr series. In fact they're often gritty with details not for the faint of heart.
    I did not and will not consent to VerticalScope's TOS.

Offline Laurenn

• View Profile
    « Reply #111 on: October 20, 2017, 06:27:48 am »
    I used to be a historical fan, but recently I have been leaning towards historical mystery. I never would have thought I would ever become a fan of it. Who is your favorite historical mystery author?

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #112 on: October 20, 2017, 08:13:07 am »
    Just one?  ;D
    I know I have a few series I love. First the one we just talked about.
    I'll put some down and use the first in the series as a link
    CS Harris - St. Cyr (love this one, probably my favorite for now)

Anna Lee Huber - Lady Darby (gothic in a way, grotesque in others, I adore this series)

Ashley Gardner- Captain Lacey (I inhaled this series, easy to read and I also love it) couldn't find the kindle link, just the paperback. It is available, just couldn't pull up the link maker

Sherry Thomas - Lady Sherlock (Only 2 out so far, I love it)

Ariana Franklin - Mistress of the Art of Death (only read one so far, gritty, medieval I loved it)

Deanna Rayborn - Lady Julia Grey (this one started me with historical mysteries and got me hooked)

I also like
    Victoria Thompson - Gaslight mysteries

And I have started a few others

Offline Gone 9/21/18

• View Profile
    « Reply #113 on: October 20, 2017, 10:18:33 am »
    I'd say my favorites are:

Sebastian St. Cyr series by C.S. Harris
    John Pickett series by Sheri Cobb South
    Bess Crawford series by Charles Todd (these are set in WW1 time period)

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #114 on: October 21, 2017, 10:31:30 am »
    I like the distinction of "traditional" or as JRT said, "classic" mysteries alongside hard-boiled and cozy. To me cozies are a more light-hearted subset of traditional mysteries.  In my mind most historical mysteries lean more toward traditional than pure cozy.

Is this another of those purely subjective "I know it when I see/read it" conundrums?

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #115 on: October 21, 2017, 04:32:06 pm »
    I used to be a historical fan, but recently I have been leaning towards historical mystery. I never would have thought I would ever become a fan of it. Who is your favorite historical mystery author?

In the beginning pages of this thread several of us mentioned Elizabeth Peters as our introduction to historical mystery.  She would still be one of my favorites.

Atunah mentioned Deanna Rayborn's Lady Amelia Gray series.  That one starts as historical romance/suspense, IMO and moves into ongoing mystery with romance no longer being the focus.  I love that series. She also republished them and if you think you already bought any of them you need to doublecheck your Amazon library because it won't show you already bought them on the book/series page.

In the same vein as Rayborn is Tasha Alexander's Lady Emily series. These are set in Victorian times and are a little more in depth than the Lady Amelia series. The first one is:

Unfortunately, they start expensive and stay expensive, rarely on sale, and my library has not kept up with the series even on request so I'm currently stopped with Book 8. :(

Offline Jim Johnson

• Alexandria, VA
    • Storyteller and Cat Minion
      • View Profile
      • Ineti Press
    « Reply #116 on: November 20, 2017, 07:51:48 am »
    Lots of great books and series here; thanks for the links, everyone!

My humble contribution is a series I didn't see anyone mention (but might have missed it): Ancient Egyptian murder mysteries/police procedurals by Lauren Haney.

https://smile.amazon.com/Lauren-Haney/e/B001IXPONG/ref=dp_byline_cont_ebooks_1

Follows a Medjay officer named Bak, eight books in the series, though looks like the publishers have done a poor job of making them all available as ebooks. Worth the read if you can find them in paper or ebook.

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #117 on: December 16, 2017, 05:58:33 am »
    The Ashley Gardner Captain Lacey series has been mentioned several times in this thread.  The first 3 books and 2 short stories are being offered in a bundle for only .99!

Offline Jane917

• Ridgefield, WA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #118 on: December 18, 2017, 03:48:44 pm »
    The Ashley Gardner Captain Lacey series has been mentioned several times in this thread.  The first 3 books and 2 short stories are being offered in a bundle for only .99!

I am trying to keep up with this thread. So many good suggestions. I picked up the Captain Lacey volumes for only 99 cents. The others seem to be too expensive at this point, but I will keep my eyes open.
    Words with Friends: Jane917

(Make your own reading bar)

Offline worktolive

• View Profile
    « Reply #119 on: January 07, 2018, 06:44:31 am »
    Jennifer Ashley/Ashley Gardner has a set with three historical novellas available for free, called Past Crimes, A Compendium of Historical Mysteries. It includes a prequel to the Victorian mystery she just released under the Jennifer Ashley name, Death Below Stairs. Supposedly, you don't have to read it before you start the novel, but I know how certain of us feel about reading out of order ( ;D - I'm looking at you Atunah), so I figured I'd better post this.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #120 on: April 13, 2018, 01:19:35 pm »
    Jennifer Ashley/Ashley Gardner has a set with three historical novellas available for free, called Past Crimes, A Compendium of Historical Mysteries. It includes a prequel to the Victorian mystery she just released under the Jennifer Ashley name, Death Below Stairs. Supposedly, you don't have to read it before you start the novel, but I know how certain of us feel about reading out of order ( ;D - I'm looking at you Atunah), so I figured I'd better post this.

I heard that. Just a few months to late. My hearing is going.  ;D

I read the first in Jennifer Ashley's new historical mystery series

I really enjoyed it and I am awaiting the next.

Is it a wee bit odd that her publisher now have her do a HM under her main name while she still self publishes her Captain Lacey series? I think that explains why she put in her notes at the end of the latest Lacey that she is still committed to that series and will put out at least one a year. WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA. that is not enough darn it.

Its the 13th and was just released. I had it on pre-order. I don't really pre-order stuff anymore, but those, I just click that button as soon as they go live at this point. I love love this series. Still after 13 books. Along with CS Harris, my favorite at the moment. Although I quite like some of the other series I read also.

I am about to start the 17th in Victoria Thompson's series

I am glad my library has those. And I can't believe I read 17 already, I am about caught up too.

I have a feeling I am going to run out of series this year, getting closer and close to getting caught up to those I started and many are so slow with releasing. I don't have that patience anymore.

But I just realized I still have the Tasha Alexander series I only read one so far. I stopped for a reason so I can have something else once I am caught up with others. So I can read a few back to back, rather than just a trickle here and there. Unfortunately having to wait so long between releases on the new series, makes it harder for me to remember all that went on. Its easier when I don't have that much time between the installments. But eventually I'll get caught up on all of them. Its not like I'll ever reach a stage of "no more books", but sometimes it feels like it.  ;D

Offline Gone 9/21/18

• View Profile
    « Reply #121 on: April 13, 2018, 02:51:32 pm »
    Along with CS Harris, my favorite at the moment.

I pre-order these and pay the high price with a smile. Read the latest the day it came out, and IMO it's the strongest story she's put out in the series in the last couple of years. Not that I haven't liked every one, but in any series I like some more.

Maybe I'll try that new Jennifer Ashley series. Only read a couple of the Captain Lacey's after he married. A lot of series lose their edge for me after the MC marries.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #122 on: April 13, 2018, 03:43:24 pm »
    I pre-order these and pay the high price with a smile. Read the latest the day it came out, and IMO it's the strongest story she's put out in the series in the last couple of years. Not that I haven't liked every one, but in any series I like some more.

Maybe I'll try that new Jennifer Ashley series. Only read a couple of the Captain Lacey's after he married. A lot of series lose their edge for me after the MC marries.
    Its a tough one when one of the main plot point chances, like large changes in the characters circumstances. It hasn't bothered me with Lacey as I like that character quite a bit. He can be so grumpy  ;D

I am glad to know that St. Cyr continues to be good. I am reading those so slowly, because I don't want to get caught up and then stare at a released date a year into the future. But I am getting there. I am up to #9, why Kings confess so i only have 4 to go now and that includes the one just came out. So then I'll have to wait and wait and wait.  ???

It is going to go down as my favorite series of all time I am sure. Just so intricate and gritty and deep. So many layers to the characters. If my library doesn't have them, I'd buy it too. Would be the only series I'd pay that much. I been lucky so far that at least one of my library has most of them. Not all.

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #123 on: April 13, 2018, 04:19:23 pm »
    I am trying to keep up with this thread. So many good suggestions. I picked up the Captain Lacey volumes for only 99 cents. The others seem to be too expensive at this point, but I will keep my eyes open.

I'm on Book 3 now and still can't decide whether I even like Captain Lacey.  He is quick to anger, suffers serious bouts of depression (melancholia), and makes absolutely terrible decisions about getting involved with women. Nevertheless, I find reasons I can't really articulate to keep reading them, sigh ...

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #124 on: April 13, 2018, 05:31:35 pm »
    I thought they kept getting better and better. Especially when the characters come together more and get to know each other, as he gets to know them, we do. There are some really WTF things coming up too. The fast temper stays, but not quite as bad as the early books and the same goes for his depression moments he seems to have. But its believable considering what he went through.

I just read #13 and didn't want it to end. I want to read the next one now.  :P

And since I think I own all of them and they are loanable, just let me know and you can read them one by one that way.  ;D
    « Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 05:38:10 pm by Atunah »

KBoards.com

• Advertisement