Author Topic: Anyone a Historical Mystery fan?  (Read 29278 times)  

Offline Wisteria Clematis

• Pacific Northwest
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone a Historical Mystery fan?
« Reply #175 on: January 28, 2019, 08:05:34 am »
Shout out to Atunah!

THANK YOU for recommending the Sebastian St. Cyr series. I just finished #9 (Hero just had the baby) and am really REALLY enjoying it. The mysteries are complex, the history is accurate, and the romance is on point without being over the top. Kinda perfect, really. :) AND they're all available via my local libraries. Anyone who's following this thread and hasn't checked 'em out definitely should. Here's the first:

<cross posting to the female mystery writer's thread>

Ok, I'm in. If you guys like the series that much I'm going to try the first one. They are on the pricey side so I'm not sure if I'm hoping to love it (in which case I'll want to keep going) or not! I noticed that this author has written a bunch of stand alone historical romances under her real name, Candice Proctor. Has anyone read any of these? Do you recommend them? They are not all available for kindle, but a few are.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
    • Erm .....
      • View Profile
    « Reply #176 on: January 28, 2019, 10:11:45 am »
    Honestly, Linda, they're worth it. :) But at that price per book you are definitely making a commitment!

Yeah, not a commitment I'm prepared to make at the moment - 8 quid is bad enough, but some of the later books are around 13 - that's about 17 US dollars.  :o And worse yet, for some reason, books 3, 4, 5 & 6 in the series aren't available as ebooks in the UK - not just on Kindle, but Kobo too.

This is something I've come across before - I've been reading the Julian Kestrel series, a four book historical mystery series by Kate Ross and, having read the first three, I went to get number 4 and suddenly the whole series is only available in paperback - one of them listed at the extraordinary price of 347!  :o :o I'm kicking myself for not getting number four when it was available.

Much as I'd love to try the St. Cyr series, I think I'll just carry on with the enormous number of books and series I've already got.  ::)
    Linda

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #177 on: February 05, 2019, 10:47:43 am »
    So sorry Linjeakel. I wouldn't get them for that money either and not at all if I couldn't read them on my kindle. I hope maybe in the future you can try them out. Not that there is a lack of books in the meantime.  ;D

Andra posted in the other mystery thread that the first in the St. Cyr series  is on sale for $1.99. Just a couple of posts up is a link. Don't think they go on sale often if at all.

Offline worktolive

• View Profile
    « Reply #178 on: June 09, 2019, 08:01:25 am »
    For those of you that are Prime members, I just noticed a the first book in a historical mystery series is included in the Prime lending library this month. It's called The Richmond Thief by Lisa Boero. Looks like the series is self-pubbed and in KU although I think there's only one book beyond this one.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #179 on: June 09, 2019, 08:15:53 am »
    Its also in kindle unlimited. Thanks, I'll check it out. Looks like there are 2 out so far. Only bad thing is, first came out in january 2017 and 2nd in april 2018. I wonder if the author dropped the series. That is something that annoys the heck out of me. Its why I usually don't like starting series by unknown authors unless there are at least 3 books out in a series.

I have started the latest of the "Speedwell" series by Deanna Rayborn. Its the 4th

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #180 on: June 09, 2019, 06:20:38 pm »
    For those of you that are Prime members, I just noticed a the first book in a historical mystery series is included in the Prime lending library this month. It's called The Richmond Thief by Lisa Boero. Looks like the series is self-pubbed and in KU although I think there's only one book beyond this one.

Thanks ... I'll check it out.
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #181 on: July 05, 2019, 05:49:02 pm »
    Any of y'all read the Sister Fidelma series by Peter Tremayne? The first is Absolution by Murder:

It's been around a while, though apparently he's still writing as a new one was just published last year. How have I missed this!? :o :D  It features an Irish sister in the late 7th century. Just read the first one and I liked it. They are available via Overdrive.
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

• Pacific Northwest
      • View Profile
    « Reply #182 on: July 13, 2019, 07:07:33 am »
    This book is one of today's kindle daily deals--on sale for $1.99. Has anyone read any of this series? Do you recommend it???

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #183 on: July 13, 2019, 07:26:22 am »
    This book is one of today's kindle daily deals--on sale for $1.99. Has anyone read any of this series? Do you recommend it???

I have read them and really liked them ... they're definitely cozy. Lady Hardcastle and her companion are very likable, quirky characters. And their village is filled with a bunch more characters. Here's a link to my review on GR: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/2202134966?book_show_action=false&from_review_page=1 No romantic elements to speak of, but some spy/intrigue subplots as the series goes on. Nothing too deep or dark, though.

The most recent one was just released this year, but haven't gotten to it as all the library books I had on hold for the last 6 months are coming up at the same time! :o

They're all in KU so I have been borrowing them via Prime Reading or KOLL.
    « Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 07:30:07 am by Ann in Arlington »
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

• Pacific Northwest
      • View Profile
    « Reply #184 on: July 13, 2019, 07:29:06 am »
    Thanks Ann! For that price I think I'll give it a try. Something relatively light sounds pretty good to me right now.

Offline foreigntrees

• View Profile
    « Reply #185 on: July 20, 2019, 06:11:24 pm »
    I have started the latest of the "Speedwell" series by Deanna Rayborn. Its the 4th

How are you liking/did you like this series? It caught my eye but I've held off on checking it out in favor of some titles in my backlog. I've proofed some of Deanna's books in the past from another series but had to move too quickly to read them closely, so I may have to revisit those as well.

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #186 on: July 22, 2019, 06:37:06 am »
    How are you liking/did you like this series? It caught my eye but I've held off on checking it out in favor of some titles in my backlog. I've proofed some of Deanna's books in the past from another series but had to move too quickly to read them closely, so I may have to revisit those as well.

I just started the third one in that series.  I like it pretty well, but I still miss Lady Julia!  The Veronica books don't seem to have as many quirky extras as her other books.  Julia's family added so much to her stories.

Offline foreigntrees

• View Profile
    « Reply #187 on: July 22, 2019, 10:07:12 pm »
    Sounds like the Lady Julia books might be the entry point I'll take first then! Always a little nice to start a series that's already completed--no need to wait for the next one to come out  :)

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #188 on: July 23, 2019, 04:33:04 am »
    I just started the third one in that series.  I like it pretty well, but I still miss Lady Julia!  The Veronica books don't seem to have as many quirky extras as her other books.  Julia's family added so much to her stories.

I'd agree with this. I like the Veronica Speedwell books, but I really liked the Lady Julia Grey books. :)
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #189 on: July 23, 2019, 09:22:15 am »
    Yes, I like the Lady Grey books a tad better too. How can you beat that opening line of the first.

Speedwell I liked better after the first and second. First was a bit off for me. Not sure what it was. Couldn't quite get into the characters or story, more like standing beside it. Improved a lot in follow books. The latest was the best. Had a nice gothic feel to it and more family stuff so to speak. Seems a different tone than the early one, much more mystery and more character stuff. I devoured that one. 4th I think.

First was a bit stiff? I can't think of a right word. So standing next to the story fits as a description for me. Rather than "in" it.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #190 on: July 23, 2019, 03:34:48 pm »
    Atunah, I agree ... the Speedwell books are getting better as they go along .....
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #191 on: July 24, 2019, 12:28:59 pm »
    I agree with Ann and Atunah - The Veronica Speedwell books get better with each book.  I went through the 3rd one pretty quickly, but I devoured the 4th.  I don't want to wait until March for the 5th one!!

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #192 on: August 05, 2019, 03:56:39 am »
    Have just finished reading which is the latest of Lady Hardcastle mysteries. Start with A Quiet Life in the Country (A Lady Hardcastle Mystery Book 1)

The series is witty, light, fun -- cozy mystery at its best, set just after WWI. No angst. No tortured backstories. Just likeable characters who also like each other and are good at what they do.

Apparently the 6th book Death Beside the Seaside (A Lady Hardcastle Mystery Book 6) is coming out in late October. They're all well priced and also available via KU or KOLL.
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Online crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
      • View Profile
    « Reply #193 on: August 05, 2019, 04:47:41 am »
    A Quiet Life in the Country has been in my MOI for a while.  I'll move it up on your recommendation.  Thanks, Ann.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #194 on: August 05, 2019, 10:30:06 am »
    A Quiet Life in the Country has been in my MOI for a while.  I'll move it up on your recommendation.  Thanks, Ann.

The only thing I would say is, when you first start reading, there are oblique references to things that happened before. But it is DEFINITELY the first book. I briefly wondered if I'd fallen into the middle of a series but, no. :) As the series goes on you learn a bit more about what the main pair did before they ended up in their village.
    « Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 05:30:36 am by Ann in Arlington »
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #195 on: August 05, 2019, 04:21:50 pm »
    Well I had just finished a book and was waffling around at what to read next. So I checked it out and started it. Already 23% into it and really liking it.

Thanks Ann for that recommendation. I think this is just what I need right now after reading a urban fantasy that got a little dark.

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
    • Erm .....
      • View Profile
    « Reply #196 on: August 06, 2019, 03:43:17 am »
    I've been listening to the Lady Hardcastle series on Audible - I've been able to get most of them free or very cheaply by borrowing the associated Kindle book on KU first.

I've really enjoyed them - the main characters are good fun and the mysteries get you thinking without being too hard to follow. There is a bit of a back story that's revealed bit by bit - I believe the next book touches on that more closely.
    Linda

Online crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
      • View Profile
    « Reply #197 on: August 09, 2019, 11:16:59 am »
    A Quiet Life in the country was a fun and quick read.  I will definitely continue the series.  The sarcastic/snarky word-play between Lady Hardcastle and Armstrong is a hoot.  All 5 books are available in KU or as a KOLL borrow, but since I don't subscribe to KU, I doubt I'll wait a month at a time to borrow thru KOLL.  Too bad they aren't in the Prime Reading library!

Very entertaining historical cozies. Thanks again for the recommendation, Ann.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #198 on: August 09, 2019, 01:18:06 pm »
    I am almost done with it too. It really is well done with the witty back and forth between the characters. I have KU so I can read them there. I been slow in reading. Its been getting so hot here, it seems like my brain is going slow mo, while at the same I can't concentrate on anything. Its like I have the attention span of a gnat.  :-\

102/feels like sauna and been like this a week and will continue on and on and on. Not a drop of rain in I can't even remember when.  Weather forecast is basically: Its summer in San Antonio, duh.   ???
    I think a cool front is coming Thursday to bring us down to a balmy 99  :-X

All the sprinklers and hoses at my local HEB have been picked clean  8)

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #199 on: August 14, 2019, 04:46:04 am »
    Happy to have enabled you, ladies. :D

Yes, I've been reading them as KOLL books, though I think at least one was a Prime Reading option for a time. They might go in and out, so keep checking. :)
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

KBoards.com

• Advertisement