Author Topic: Anyone a Historical Mystery fan?  (Read 31194 times)  

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone a Historical Mystery fan?
« Reply #250 on: October 23, 2019, 04:51:18 pm »
I am about half way through the latest of the Lady Sherlock series. the 4th. And I am a bit disappointed with it.

Its always hard for me to put my finger on certain things, but the tone seems off in this one. I am having a hard time connecting so far and it just doesn't "feel" the same as the other books. The characters don't feel the same. Especially Charlotte, main character. She has a brilliant mind and is "odd". That is her thing of course. And in a way mysterious as its hard to get a read on her, but still felt a connection to her actions and how it advanced the story.

In this book I don't feel her. She barely gets to do anything so far besides bemoan her "chins". Its a thing with her as she loves baked sweets. Something just feels off here for me. Its like everyone is just going through the motions. I was super looking forward to this one after the last book in the series. I mean wanting the next one right away. Now I am reading it and its just got that thing that made this series special to this point. Sherry Thomas usually has a way with story and emotions and words.

I am just not getting inside here.  :-\ Its not bad, its good, but not great as the others so far. Maybe it will get the mojo back in the 2nd half.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 10:48:40 am by Atunah »

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
    • Erm .....
      • View Profile
    « Reply #251 on: October 24, 2019, 02:03:42 pm »
    *sticks fingers in ears*  la la la la la la - I'm not listening .....  :-\  :o

Some time later......

Oh, no! The first Captain Lacey book is free. Why couldn't it be really expensive?!  ???
    Linda

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #252 on: October 24, 2019, 02:08:39 pm »
    And they are all only $3.99. And there are volumes of 3 books in it starting at 4.99 for the first and up to 7.99 for the later ones. 3 books in each.  ;D

(US store, don't know what they cost elsewhere. )

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
      • View Profile
    « Reply #253 on: October 24, 2019, 02:41:37 pm »
    I bought and read the first Captain Lacey bundle a while ago and I haven't continued past the 1st 3 novels (although I might yet).  I think I posted many pages back about being unable to decide whether I like the Captain, but the stories are good and well-priced, particularly with the various bundles!

eta:  went back to find my post.  Here's what I said in Dec 2017 ...

"I'm on Book 3 now and still can't decide whether I even like Captain Lacey.  He is quick to anger, suffers serious bouts of depression (melancholia), and makes absolutely terrible decisions about getting involved with women. Nevertheless, I find reasons I can't really articulate to keep reading them, sigh ..."
    « Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 02:46:14 pm by crebel »

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #254 on: October 24, 2019, 02:45:22 pm »
    He is quite gnarly at times. ;D But I really love how he and the other characters develop over time. I thought they really kicked in after a couple or so books. I can't recall now exactly if it was 2 or 3 or so.

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #255 on: November 18, 2019, 05:25:53 am »
    The evil enablers of this thread have completely hooked me on the Anna Lee Huber Lady Darby series.  :-* I read books 3, 4, and 5 while on vacation this past week.  Seriously, I paid $11.99 for book 5 because I didn't want to stop and I was on vacation!  :o :D

We got home Saturday night and I have put the next two books on a watch list hoping for some sort of sale at some point below their $9.99 and $11.99 prices, otherwise thank goodness Christmas is coming and my family will load me up with Amazon gift cards.  They are not available at my library.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #256 on: November 18, 2019, 07:14:43 am »
    I did tell you, didn't I.  ;D

Offline Trophywife007

• Central CA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #257 on: November 18, 2019, 07:18:56 am »
    I've been enjoying Lady Darby and have read about 3 of them so far.  Fortunately for me they are available on OverDrive here.  St. Cyr is still my favorite but Lady Darby is very close behind!  I  try to space them out, too.

Has anyone read Huber's Verity Kent series?
    « Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 07:21:25 am by Trophywife007 »

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #258 on: November 18, 2019, 07:47:17 am »
    I read the first in the Verity Kent series. I liked it, but as I have said in the past, I prefer my historical mysteries to be older. Or just read more modern regular mysteries like the Lynley series. If that makes sense. But I'll continue reading it as its still good of course. If I can every come up for air being buried under my TBR pile.  :-\

Offline Fogeydc

• View Profile
    « Reply #259 on: November 18, 2019, 03:00:33 pm »
    The evil enablers of this thread have completely hooked me on the Anna Lee Huber Lady Darby series.  :-* I read books 3, 4, and 5 while on vacation this past week.  Seriously, I paid $11.99 for book 5 because I didn't want to stop and I was on vacation!  :o :D

Then it doesn't count as a "book expense" it counts as "vacation entertainment expense".
    And probably cheaper than a movie+popcorn too. ;)

Offline Trophywife007

• Central CA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #260 on: November 18, 2019, 03:11:02 pm »
    Then it doesn't count as a "book expense" it counts as "vacation entertainment expense".

And lasts longer.  Major enabling points for you!

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #261 on: November 18, 2019, 03:29:08 pm »

And lasts longer.  Major enabling points for you!

Both are completely true!  It was definitely a vacation splurge, though.  Since I average reading a book a day, I can't fit that high of a price into my budget every day.

Offline Trophywife007

• Central CA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #262 on: November 18, 2019, 08:29:22 pm »
    Both are completely true!  It was definitely a vacation splurge, though.  Since I average reading a book a day, I can't fit that high of a price into my budget every day.

"...a book a day"  That's my kind of vacay!  Haven't ever had one of those kind.

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #263 on: November 19, 2019, 06:01:48 am »
    Has anyone read Huber's Verity Kent series?

The first one is in KU so I read it from there.  I got the second one from Scribd.  The third is on a wish list.
    I enjoyed them, but they are definitely different from the Lady Darby series.  (I just read the latest one - purchased with birthday gift cards - it was awesome).

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #264 on: November 20, 2019, 06:32:52 am »
    Book 10 in the Sebastian St. Cyr Mysteries Who Buries the Dead is $1.99 right now.
    I think there are three five more after this one - including the one that comes out in April.

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #265 on: November 20, 2019, 07:58:48 am »
    Thanks, Andra!  I now have Book 1 (read and loved), and book 10 far down the queue.  Hopefully a few other sales will happen along the way so I don't have to fill out the other slots as slowly.  :D

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
    • Erm .....
      • View Profile
    « Reply #266 on: November 20, 2019, 10:59:19 am »
    Yeah, I noticed the other day that the St Cyr book 10 was on offer here in the UK too, so I got it even though I've only just started reading book 1.  ???

It's all your fault. Yes you. All of you. You know who you are.

Linda

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #267 on: November 20, 2019, 11:16:09 am »
    Yeah, I noticed the other day that the St Cyr book 10 was on offer here in the UK too, so I got it even though I've only just started reading book 1.  ???

It's all your fault. Yes you. All of you. You know who you are.

And proud of it! :D
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #268 on: November 20, 2019, 02:32:23 pm »
    So let me just pile on then.  ;D

This has 3 books out so far. 4th coming in april I think. I am really enjoying these as the protagonist is not a lady or lord this and that, but a young woman cook. And she actually spends a lot of time doing her job too, its not just a wallpaper occupation. 

Same author that writes the Captain Lacey series and of course the famed Mackenzies.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #269 on: November 20, 2019, 04:41:51 pm »

This has 3 books out so far. 4th coming in april I think. I am really enjoying these as the protagonist is not a lady or lord this and that, but a young woman cook. And she actually spends a lot of time doing her job too, its not just a wallpaper occupation. 

Same author that writes the Captain Lacey series and of course the famed Mackenzies.

Well .... it appears to be available in 2 of my libraries and is available to borrow right away. :D
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #270 on: November 20, 2019, 06:37:08 pm »

OMG!  It was actually listed and immediately available at my library!  It's a little early, but practically a Christmas miracle. 

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #271 on: November 20, 2019, 07:56:14 pm »

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #272 on: November 21, 2019, 03:59:05 am »
    Of course, I borrowed it right away last night -- and now the Andrea Penrose (Kensington Palace) I've had on hold for ever comes up as finally available.

When it rains, it pours. :D
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
    • Erm .....
      • View Profile
    « Reply #273 on: November 21, 2019, 09:12:00 am »
    Death Below Stairs isn't available at my library but then 95% of the books I look for aren't. I hit the 'recommend' button, but nothing I've recommended has ever been added to the library so not holding my breath.

It's on Amazon UK but way too expensive and not on KU or Prime.

Am I downhearted? Not at all! It's a relief that I don't have to add yet another series to my TBR pile - you know, that mountain just over yonder that's blocking out the sun.  :o
    Linda

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #274 on: November 27, 2019, 04:43:06 am »

As I mentioned earlier, this was immediately available for my library so I finished reading it last night.  I really enjoyed it (4 stars in my personal ratings), and I like the start of this series much more than her Captain Lacey books.

Unfortunately Book 2 is NOT available at my library, but I'm hoping they take a recommend more seriously when they already had the first book of the series.  Scandal Above Stairs is currently $9.99 so I'm placing it on a watch list for a sale with fingers crossed the library chooses to fill out the series soon.

This is Book 3 (also $9.99)

This book is a 127 page novella at $2.99, but is actually the prequel to the series that I didn't find out about until this morning and after reading Book 1 already, I won't be reading this one.

Book 4 does not have a cover yet, but is available for pre-order (again at $9.99) with a release date of August 2020.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement