Author Topic: Anyone a Historical Mystery fan?  (Read 30928 times)  

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone a Historical Mystery fan?
« Reply #275 on: November 27, 2019, 08:00:00 am »
It is a tad annoying that historical mysteries seem to be priced in the 9.99-14.99 for some reason.

I didn't read that prequel either. At least I don't think I did.  :-\ I don't usually read short stuff either in between or as prequels of series.

I do promise though that the Captain Lacey gets better as it goes on. I liked it from the get go, but some of the stuff like friendships really builds nicely and rewarding over time. Like bit by bit and the mysteries also get stronger. I guess that's normal in ongoing series.

So far I been mostly lucky with my libraries. Besides the MacMillan issue. My library has suspended any purchase of a MacMillan title because of their embargo. I don't know right now who is with that publisher. I think there are some HR with them under the St. Martins press, which is part of MM.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
    • Erm .....
      • View Profile
    « Reply #276 on: December 05, 2019, 10:09:32 am »
    So I finally got around to reading the first in the Sebastian St Cyr series. I enjoyed it and will definitely put the rest of the series on a price watch and hope to pick them up a bit cheaper than the current prices.

My only complaint, if that isn't too strong a word, is that I didn't realise the author was American until I started to read the book - the American spelling and occasional American idioms jarred a little in a book set in Regency England. American readers will likely not even have been conscious of it. There were also one or two continuity errors - for example a character called Richard changed to being Robert and back to Richard all in the space of three paragraphs. A good read through by a (British) proof reader might have been a good idea.

I don't think these problems will stop me reading more in the series, but would definitely knock a star off.
    Linda

Offline KZwrites

• View Profile
    « Reply #277 on: December 05, 2019, 08:02:56 pm »
    I cannot recommend the Marcus Corvinus series by David Wishart enough. They're set in Imperial Rome (and other areas of the Mediterranean), but unlike many other Roman mysteries, they feel very much like Rome, not "modern person in Rome" or a movie set in Rome.

They're also hilarious. Marcus is the narrator, but he talks with a hardboiled edge. It's a bit of an anachronism, but it fits so well and their are very few (if any) anachronisms in the book. Every character is such a vivid portrait, from bartenders to suspects to Marcus' household.

Wishart's mysteries are clever, too. You have your standard mystery books and then, as he puts it, "pollical" books that fill in gaps in history from the reign of Tiberius to (currently) Claudius. This includes a number of conspiracies that may have happened, all carefully researched.

This are simply delightful books and I hope he publishes more soon! Start with Ovid. I think the current count of the series is 17.
    Paladin Trilogy: 25%
    Kathryn Zurmehly | Homepage

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
      • View Profile
    « Reply #278 on: December 12, 2019, 07:37:07 am »
    WooHoo!  I just received an Amazon offer in an e-mail which I have not personally seen before.  The offer was $5 off a specific book on my wish list and it happened to be:

The $5 off was listed against the price of $9.99 on the actual book page and it is now happily residing on my Kindle for $4.99!!!!  There was no credit listed against any other books I looked at or on my wish list, just this specific book about which I received the e-mail.  Has anyone else received an Amazon credit offer for only one specific book from their lists?  I don't know what triggered it, but I'm happy to get it.  8)

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #279 on: December 12, 2019, 07:42:44 am »
    Can't say that I have. But I can't swear on it as I get so many amazon emails its easy to overlook. I think they knew you really wanted that one.  ;D
    They know what we read after all. And when we read it. I get emails about that all the time. Like hey, this is the next in the series you are reading, its on sale right now, you want it?  :-X :o

Hope you enjoy.

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #280 on: December 12, 2019, 08:09:12 am »
    Not exactly that, but this week I received an email like this
    here's a $5 credit because you bought "Look Alive Twenty-Five: A Stephanie Plum Novel"
    The credit was only good on the next book in the series.  I keep those on my wishlist because I still enjoy them - just not at full price.
    With the $5 credit and some shipping credits, I got #26 for $6 or so.  That was a reasonable price for me.
    I need to make sure my wishlist is up to date in case they continue offering random credits.

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
      • View Profile
    « Reply #281 on: December 12, 2019, 08:39:17 am »
    Not exactly that, but this week I received an email like this
    here's a $5 credit because you bought "Look Alive Twenty-Five: A Stephanie Plum Novel"
    The credit was only good on the next book in the series.  I keep those on my wishlist because I still enjoy them - just not at full price.
    With the $5 credit and some shipping credits, I got #26 for $6 or so.  That was a reasonable price for me.
    I need to make sure my wishlist is up to date in case they continue offering random credits.

You can bet I've made sure of that this morning, too!!  ;D

Offline Wisteria Clematis

• Pacific Northwest
      • View Profile
    « Reply #282 on: December 16, 2019, 08:19:07 am »
    New series alert! I'm not sure if these have been mentioned here but Georgina Clarke is getting some great reviews for her new historical mystery series (2 books out so far). It is set in the Georgian period and the heroine--Lizzie-- is a harlot. Have not read them yet myself so cannot recommend but the idea of such an unusual heroine is intriguing.I may give the first one a try. Has anyone read these and can you recommend???

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #283 on: December 16, 2019, 09:17:38 am »
    That does look like something different ... which is sometimes hard to find! The first is only 99 cents so might be worth giving it a try. The reviews are certainly good.
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Trophywife007

• Central CA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #284 on: December 16, 2019, 11:19:27 am »

Great timing!  I just finished a UF book last night and was wanting a historical.  The price is right, too.  Thank you!

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
    • Erm .....
      • View Profile
    « Reply #285 on: December 16, 2019, 11:21:30 am »
    I picked up the first book for 99p last week - haven't started it yet but thought it looked like it was worth a try at that price. Great minds and all that.

As if I needed another series though. Sigh.
    Linda

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #286 on: December 16, 2019, 02:28:02 pm »
    You had me at georgian period  ;D. Its a well known catnip for me that time period. Got the first for 99 cents. I see reviews from folks I follow on amazon and goodreads so it bodes well. Thanks Wisteria, I think.  :-X

I picked up the first book for 99p last week - haven't started it yet but thought it looked like it was worth a try at that price. Great minds and all that.

As if I needed another series though. Sigh.
    Yeah, no kidding.  :-\

• Pacific Northwest
      • View Profile
    « Reply #287 on: December 16, 2019, 03:39:41 pm »
    You had me at georgian period  ;D. Its a well known catnip for me that time period. Got the first for 99 cents. I see reviews from folks I follow on amazon and goodreads so it bodes well. Thanks Wisteria, I think.  :-X
    Yeah, no kidding.  :-\

Hey! You can never have too many series!!!  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #288 on: December 17, 2019, 08:16:28 am »
    Series available might be infinite, but my puny human lifespan is not. I'll try my best to read ALL THE BOOKS though.  ;D

• Pacific Northwest
      • View Profile
    « Reply #289 on: December 17, 2019, 06:53:44 pm »
    Series available might be infinite, but my puny human lifespan is not. I'll try my best to read ALL THE BOOKS though.  ;D

Dont forget....our working theory is that as long as we have a TBR list we are not allowed to leave the planet.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #290 on: December 17, 2019, 07:00:48 pm »
    Yep. No croaking until we read ALL THE BOOKS. Crebel said so.

Offline anguabell

• View Profile
      • Goodreads
    « Reply #291 on: January 07, 2020, 12:58:03 pm »
    Another book of Genevieve Cogman The Invisible Library series is out today! (I am not sure if those are "historical mysteries" because they take place in all sorts of different times and worlds, but am posting it anyway  :))

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #292 on: January 07, 2020, 01:35:00 pm »
    I'd say: Historical adjacent. Definitely mysteries. Certainly an element of fantastical.

They usually end up available via the library, but I just checked and it's not yet in any of mine.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 01:38:37 pm by Ann in Arlington »
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Trophywife007

• Central CA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #293 on: January 08, 2020, 12:07:44 pm »
    Another book of Genevieve Cogman The Invisible Library series is out today! (I am not sure if those are "historical mysteries" because they take place in all sorts of different times and worlds, but am posting it anyway  :))

Thank you!

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #294 on: January 08, 2020, 01:40:27 pm »
    Thanks for posting to the page, Trophy -- because it reminded me to check libraries and it's now available in one of them. I've not borrowed it just yet, though, since I have 6 other books that had been on the waitlist and have come available in the last week or so! :o
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Trophywife007

• Central CA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #295 on: January 09, 2020, 09:33:50 am »
    Thanks for posting to the page, Trophy -- because it reminded me to check libraries and it's now available in one of them. I've not borrowed it just yet, though, since I have 6 other books that had been on the waitlist and have come available in the last week or so! :o

Actually, all I did was quote Anguabell.  My OverDrive library has several of her books, so I'm feeling pretty lucky right now.

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #296 on: January 09, 2020, 11:17:53 am »
    Actually, all I did was quote Anguabell.  My OverDrive library has several of her books, so I'm feeling pretty lucky right now.

Yes but your post quoting her reminded me to check again. :D
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline anguabell

• View Profile
      • Goodreads
    « Reply #297 on: January 09, 2020, 11:56:02 am »
    Actually, thank you all for reminding me to go and finally get that library card, so that I can keep my book spending under control this year  ;D

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #298 on: January 09, 2020, 12:00:40 pm »
    Actually, thank you all for reminding me to go and finally get that library card, so that I can keep my book spending under control this year  ;D

:D

Well .....  good luck with that. ::)  I have 6 checked out right now, who knows how many more on hold or on a wish list at the library, and I still end up buying stuff. Though I must also admit that a lot of times I see a book advertised, think, "oh, that looks good" and click through only to find out I bought it 2 or 4 or 8 years ago. :o
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #299 on: January 22, 2020, 11:04:23 am »
    Where the Dead Lie Sebastian St. Cyr Mystery Book 12
    on sale for $1.99
    These don't get discounted very often, so it's a good buy if you are reading the series even if you're not that far along :)

KBoards.com

• Advertisement