Kindle Forum banner

Anyone a Historical Mystery fan?

50K views 480 replies 41 participants last post by  stansmithattorney 
#1 ·
I did do a search, but it might be my search fu is broken as I can't find a specific thread for HM.

Besides historical romance, historical mysteries are my other love. I got hooked on a few, but I always look for more.

My favorite must be CS Harris St. Cyr series. I know I am not alone in that and its probably a tough one to ask for more series in that quality.
I do also really love Ashley Gardners Captain Lacey series. On both of them I now have to pace myself as I only have 3 books left before I am caught up. Then what.  :eek:

I started the Victoria Thompson series, although its set a bit later than I like in time period. I think the reason I love the CS Harris series so much is because the investigating is done around regency time and there are no modern things like electricity and all that. Its the same for me when I read HR. I just don't want to be to modern. But I did like the first Thompson, Murder in Astor Place. Not as much as the others, but its early yet.

I already started the Amelia Peabody one and its a bit tougher for me to get into the characters to be honest. Although I do love the setting in Egypt.

Course I love the Lady Grey series by Deanna Raybourn.

Another I am also totally loving and awaiting the next in series is Anna Lee Hubers series. Wonderful.

Also exited about Sherry Thomas new series with A Study in Sherlock women is the first. Will be a loooooooooooooooong time for the next though. It was really really good though.

For standalone I read a couple of Simone St. James that I liked, they are on the gothic side, also set a bit more modern.

I read a Tracy Grant, but didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I should. Same with the Anne Perry Thomas Pitt where I read the first one.

And now I am panicking that I am running out of the good historical mysteries. Series especially, although I am not opposed to standalones of course if they are good.

Can we clone CS Harris?  ;D Every single one of those books has been a 5 star read for me. I am going to pout the day I am caught up with that series.

Allright, lets have it. What HM did you like, or wanted to like, or are wanting to read, have heard of.

I feel like needing a thread also for mysteries that are not cozy. Or maybe not as I always get confused at what cozy is or isn't.

See less See more
#302 ·
Andra said:
Where the Dead Lie Sebastian St. Cyr Mystery Book 12
on sale for $1.99
These don't get discounted very often, so it's a good buy if you are reading the series even if you're not that far along :)

I've only read book 1, but I already have books 10, 11 & 12 which I got at rock bottom prices. I'm just waiting patiently for the earlier books to be discounted. ::)

#303 ·
Wisteria Clematis said:
New series alert! I'm not sure if these have been mentioned here but Georgina Clarke is getting some great reviews for her new historical mystery series (2 books out so far). It is set in the Georgian period and the heroine--Lizzie-- is a harlot. Have not read them yet myself so cannot recommend but the idea of such an unusual heroine is intriguing.I may give the first one a try. Has anyone read these and can you recommend???

I just finished the 2nd one now... Liked them both a lot and eagerly awaiting the third. Thanks for the recommendation!

#306 ·
crebel said:
If folks are slowly filling in their Lady Sherlock series by Sherry Thomas because of the high prices, Book 3 is on sale right now for $1.99!

Good series! I'm listening to book 2, A Conspiracy in Belgravia at the moment & love Kate Reading's narration! Luckily my libraries carry both the ebook and audio versions of these.

#307 ·
I finished this one and I really enjoyed it. Already got the next on library wait.

A dead body at the Almack assembly room. This book covers the more social intricacies and internal politics among the ton. And how a female would have had to deal with the fallout of a family disgrace, while still being useful to many of her former equals. Being on the fringes with just one step in the wrong direction would be complete ruin. All that when that woman is smart and capable.
Its also building up a bit of a group as its usually done in HM series. Not really any romance to speak of in this one. Just the hint at a maybe. Former beau, now out of reach due to rank and bow street runner, out of reach for lack of rank I guess. ;D. Just hints though at this point.
There are some issues with proper titles and other niggles which I think should have been more thoroughly researched, But I found the mystery to be really good and I was at the edge of my seat, especially in the second half. I did not guess a lot of the twist and turns. Some stuff was a wee bit murky, but overall I really enjoyed this one.

#313 ·
Hmmm, sounds good but not available on KU or at my library. At £9.49 (about US$12+) it's a bit rich for my blood.

Worktolive, I also keep adding stuff to my wish lists and telling myself it's not the same as adding it to the TBR mountain - but honestly, you know we're just kidding ourselves, right?  :eek:

#314 ·
Book #13 in the Sebastian St Cyr series is on sale right now for $1.99!

Early books have been on sale, now 2 of the latest books have been on sale in the last month or so. I think they are being sneaky to tempt us into paying full price for all the books in the middle ... ::)

#315 ·
crebel said:
Book #13 in the Sebastian St Cyr series is on sale right now for $1.99!

Early books have been on sale, now 2 of the latest books have been on sale in the last month or so. I think they are being sneaky to tempt us into paying full price for all the books in the middle ... ::)
Yeah, I'm still holding out for them to cycle back to the beginning when they're done putting all the later books on sale. At least I hope they will, since I'll have all the later books and won't be able to read them till I get the earlier ones. How do I get myself into these situations? I blame you lot. Yes, you over there pretending you all didn't get me started on this series. :eek:

#316 ·
Linjeakel said:
Yeah, I'm still holding out for them to cycle back to the beginning when they're done putting all the later books on sale. At least I hope they will, since I'll have all the later books and won't be able to read them till I get the earlier ones. How do I get myself into these situations? I blame you lot. Yes, you over there pretending you all didn't get me started on this series. :eek:
I'm with you, there are a few enablers around here! I loved book #1, but I'm not starting any more until I have a few more at prices I can afford in the Mountain of Immortality. If I end up with half of them at sale prices at some point, I'll be more willing to pay the exorbitant prices to fill the series out as I read along. I have to read in order, I just do ...

#317 ·
It is not optional to read that series in order. It is an absolute must. And I don't just say that because i am pretty OCD about these things. Also, don't read any blurbs of books coming after the ones you read, which sounds like you are still very early in.

I am literally sitting on my hands before I can read the next one, because if I read it too fast, I won't have much left after. That is how much I like that series. I wish I could go back in time and erase having read that series from my brain so I could read it again from the beginning.

#318 ·
The SBTB blog just had a Rec League for mysteries with a romance crossover and while most were contemporary or 20th century historical, there were a few that were set in older historical periods. You should definitely check out the post, lots of great recs in it. Unfortunately, I can't post the correct link because Kboards automatically edits the b word to "smartb*tches" which breaks the link. Sooooo, if you want to follow this link, paste it into your browser, then replace the "*" with an "i" and it should work.

https://smartbitchestrashybooks.com/2020/02/the-rec-league-mysteries-with-romance-crossover-appeal/

One I noticed is the Lady Beatrice Hyde-Clare mysteries starting with A Brazen Curiosity: A Regency Cozy, by Lynn Messina. I'm not sure if it's previously been mentioned here.

#320 ·
#322 ·
which lead me to this link: https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Nancy-Bilyeau-ebook/dp/B07HZ4C3K5/ref=pd_typ_k_rtpb_1_154606011_3/136-2789563-0621429?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=0W9RBP7TE5A07P9J4NY7

same author, free for prime members, .99 for three more days. Even more interesting story premise.

"In eighteenth century London, porcelain is the most seductive of commodities; fortunes are made and lost upon it. Kings do battle with knights and knaves for possession of the finest pieces and the secrets of their manufacture.

For Genevieve Planché, an English-born descendant of Huguenot refugees, porcelain holds far less allure; she wants to be an artist, a painter of international repute, but nobody takes the idea of a female artist seriously in London. If only she could reach Venice."

#323 ·
Thanks Koi for those. I'll check them out. Sure 1911 is historical, probably up to what is it, WWII? not sure. :-\

Trophywife007 said:
I just finished the first in the Rosalind Thorn series by Darcie Wilde... completely hooked and now have another author to hoard/save for vacation... whenever that arrives. The first two were available on OverDrive in my area.
I just finished the 3rd. Love them. I wish there was another, it will be a while though I think. First one was 2017, 2nd 2017 and the 3rd was end of 2019 and January 2020. Depending on what edition the publisher (Kensington) released.

#324 ·
I think WWII is considered historical now ..... but that's a good question: what's the definition? WWII was before my time, but not my parents.

Thanks for the Bilyeau links, Koi -- both those look good. And one is in Prime so free for me. :)

The Rosalind Thorn one is already on my wish list ... at $11.99 it's a bit more than I want to spend and it doesn't appear to be in any of my libraries. :(

#325 ·
I was lucky to have access to all 3 at different libraries. No way would I pay that much. Can't believe Kensington is the ones with those prices, theirs are usually more "normal". For some reason, as soon as its historical mystery it costs a bunch more. Just like urban fantasy. They are still all genre fiction.

At least they should discount the first one, a nice sale. That would give some the chance to try the series out if they like it.

I prefer my historicals to be older, before 1900. But that is me. I want a 18* in front of the number. Especially with mysteries, I find them more insteresting without all the modern stuff for solving crimes and such things.

#326 ·
Atunah said:
I just finished the 3rd. Love them. I wish there was another, it will be a while though I think. First one was 2017, 2nd 2017 and the 3rd was end of 2019 and January 2020. Depending on what edition the publisher (Kensington) released.
I saw this on Amazon -- due out Nov. 24, 2020 8)

https://www.amazon.com/Lady-Compromised-Rosalind-Thorne-Mystery-ebook/dp/B085LTHVP8/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2G29R14OE8IB9&dchild=1&keywords=darcie+wilde&qid=1585928483&sprefix=darcie+wil%2Caps%2C226&sr=8-5