Kindle Forum banner

Anyone a Historical Mystery fan?

50K views 480 replies 41 participants last post by  stansmithattorney 
#1 ·
I did do a search, but it might be my search fu is broken as I can't find a specific thread for HM.

Besides historical romance, historical mysteries are my other love. I got hooked on a few, but I always look for more.

My favorite must be CS Harris St. Cyr series. I know I am not alone in that and its probably a tough one to ask for more series in that quality.
I do also really love Ashley Gardners Captain Lacey series. On both of them I now have to pace myself as I only have 3 books left before I am caught up. Then what.  :eek:

I started the Victoria Thompson series, although its set a bit later than I like in time period. I think the reason I love the CS Harris series so much is because the investigating is done around regency time and there are no modern things like electricity and all that. Its the same for me when I read HR. I just don't want to be to modern. But I did like the first Thompson, Murder in Astor Place. Not as much as the others, but its early yet.

I already started the Amelia Peabody one and its a bit tougher for me to get into the characters to be honest. Although I do love the setting in Egypt.

Course I love the Lady Grey series by Deanna Raybourn.

Another I am also totally loving and awaiting the next in series is Anna Lee Hubers series. Wonderful.

Also exited about Sherry Thomas new series with A Study in Sherlock women is the first. Will be a loooooooooooooooong time for the next though. It was really really good though.

For standalone I read a couple of Simone St. James that I liked, they are on the gothic side, also set a bit more modern.

I read a Tracy Grant, but didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I should. Same with the Anne Perry Thomas Pitt where I read the first one.

And now I am panicking that I am running out of the good historical mysteries. Series especially, although I am not opposed to standalones of course if they are good.

Can we clone CS Harris?  ;D Every single one of those books has been a 5 star read for me. I am going to pout the day I am caught up with that series.

Allright, lets have it. What HM did you like, or wanted to like, or are wanting to read, have heard of.

I feel like needing a thread also for mysteries that are not cozy. Or maybe not as I always get confused at what cozy is or isn't.

See less See more
#329 ·
Price is bad. I added the book to 2 of my libraries as a recommendation so we will see. Still some time to go, or is it. Considering what is going on, that might me the month we can look into starting some normalcy. Normalcy being something different by then. I have downloaded a lot more books to my kindles just in case. I own a lot, but that is only useful if they are actually on the device. 

#330 ·
Guess what I am reading. The new Lady Darby installment. Just came out. A Stroke of Malice.

https://www.amazon.com/Stroke-Malice-Lady-Darby-Mystery-ebook/dp/B07V111W1F/

Its the 8th and OMG already so good and I am only a third in. I just love love this series. I think I might have mentioned that before. ;D. Right after the St. Cyr series. Or as much.

Thankfully I got it from the library cause price, ouch. My money has been going into food stock piles and buying masks from those folks that know how to sew. Cause I don't.

#332 ·
Atunah said:
Guess what I am reading. The new Lady Darby installment. Just came out. A Stroke of Malice.

https://www.amazon.com/Stroke-Malice-Lady-Darby-Mystery-ebook/dp/B07V111W1F/

Its the 8th and OMG already so good and I am only a third in. I just love love this series. I think I might have mentioned that before. ;D. Right after the St. Cyr series. Or as much.

Thankfully I got it from the library cause price, ouch. My money has been going into food stock piles and buying masks from those folks that know how to sew. Cause I don't.
It's not at my library and I currently have a healthy gift card balance. Therefore I decided I deserve a stay-at-home treat and just outright bought it at the exorbitant price. :D

I have become so apathetic about life in general lately that I haven't even been reading much. This should lift me out of that slump!

#335 ·
I finished the latest St. Cyr a week or so ago; still working on the Lady Darby series and not yet caught up ... so I guess that's good for me. Hmmm ... I don't even have it on my master list but I'm sure I've read some. Will have to update! :D

Just came available at the Library: Death in Kew Gardens which features the cook Kat Holloway. Author is Jennifer Ashley -- probably heard about it here. I think it's listed as the "Below Stairs" mysteries. Completely enjoyable.

#336 ·
OK I really need to stop reading this thread.

I'm only on book 2 of the St Cyr series and I need to finish Sally Spencer's 'Inspector Sam Blackstone' series - I think I've read about three or four of the ten available so far. I have quite a few other series I need to finish too, so I should be avoiding any recommendations for other series.

Let me turn it around some. Not sure if I've recommended any of these before but:-

Ann Swinfen's Medieval Mysteries series that starts with 'The Bookseller's Tale'. She has other series but that's the only one of hers I've read and I really enjoyed it.  It's set in 14th century Oxford.

William Savage's 'Ashmole Foxe Mysteries', set in Georgian Norwich.

E.M. Powell's 'Stanton & Barling' series - murder mysteries set in 12th century England - only two books so far but I've enjoyed them.

I suspect everyone here has already read C.J. Sansom's excellent 'Shardlake' series, but if not, I heartily recommend it.

There. Lady Darby? Kat Holloway? Not even gonna look. Well, probably not. Maybe. Sigh.  ::)

#338 ·
I just got a new release announcement from Jennifer Ashley that she's released the first of a new historical mystery series, set in Ancient Rome and featuring a former gladiator hero.

It's called Blood of the Gladiator and is under her Ashley Gardner pen name. Looks very interesting. Here's the link (sadly, not prettified since the link maker seems to be permanently broken).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087C9MR2S/

#339 ·
I just got finished on her latest Captain Lacey, under her Ashley Gardner name. Loved it as I always do.

Not sure about reading that far back for historicals, but I really like her writing in all the genres she writes so I'll give it a shot.

She sure is prolific though. Now 3 historical mystery series going on at the same time by this author and still the paranormal romances, the HR, the contempo romances. Jennifer Ashley, Ashley Gardner, Allyson James. WHo knows if she got other names too.  ;D

#340 ·
worktolive said:
For those of you that are Prime members, I just noticed a the first book in a historical mystery series is included in the Prime lending library this month. It's called The Richmond Thief by Lisa Boero. Looks like the series is self-pubbed and in KU although I think there's only one book beyond this one.

I had to search back through several pages to find this post so I could thank Worktolive for the recommendation. I just finished The Richmond Thief and am getting ready to start the second one in the series, The Ranleigh Question. I liked the heroine very much and am hoping the author continues the series. Here's a link to the second installment:

https://www.amazon.com/Ranleigh-Question-Lady-Althea-Mystery-ebook/dp/B07BW2ZZWX/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=lisa+boero&link_code=qs&qid=1590439573&sourceid=Mozilla-search&sr=8-1

#342 ·
I haz it on my kindle via KU now.  ;D

Been doing total food inventory last couple of days so not much reading. I am talking chest freezer, fridge, fridge freeer, pantry etc. I am talking entering everything into an app with name, expiry, etc. Holy moly we have a lot of food.  :-X

Now I am ready to read again.

#344 ·
#346 ·
Oh wow - I only have read two of the series on thehistoryquill's list: Deanna Raybourn's Veronica Speedwell and Kerry Greenwood's Phryne Fisher. Time to start looking at new stuff.

Had to check the spelling on Raybourn's last name and discovered that the first Veronica Speedwell is only $2.99

I forgot how to change the size with the manual link maker.

#349 ·
  :'( Well, boo-hoo, I just caught up with two series: Lady Darby and Verity Kent, both by Anna Lee Huber.  I loved them both and am eagerly awaiting the next Verity Kent at the end of September.  It's set just after the first WW which is a different time line than I usually read and it's been pretty interesting.

I may have to break down and read one of the Sebastian St. Cyr stories I'm hoarding or I may try a new to me author Jacqueline Winspear's Maisie Dobbs, which looks like a similar time frame as Verity Kent, but a whiff later.

I hope everyone here is getting in some solid reading time!

#350 ·
I am keeping a couple of St.Cyr back too. So I don't run out quite yet. I wish I could do selective memory delete and read that series from the beginning again. Sigh.

I am reading the latest in the Veronica Speedwell series by Deanna Raybourn. A Murderous Relation.

i am still quite slow with reading. I hadn't read any books in almost a month then teh contempo I read and followed with a Heyer. And now I am trying the Raybourn. I don't know what to blame it on. 2020? Ennui probably describes it better. Pain of existence.  :-X

#351 ·
I have the advantage of having discovered the St. Cyr books rather later than you guys. When I say 'discovered' I mean of course enabled and enticed by the contributors to this thread.  :eek:

I've only read three so far, so by my reckoning I still have about twelve left to read.  ;D I keep changing my mind as to whether I want to devour a whole series in one go so I can find out what happens or keep swapping between all the other series I'm reading so they all last a bit longer. Decisions, decisions .....  :-\