Author Topic: Anyone a Historical Mystery fan?  (Read 24341 times)  

Offline Trophywife007

• Central CA
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone a Historical Mystery fan?
« Reply #325 on: April 03, 2020, 08:46:13 am »
I just finished the 3rd. Love them. I wish there was another, it will be a while though I think. First one was 2017, 2nd 2017 and the 3rd was end of 2019 and January 2020. Depending on what edition the publisher (Kensington) released.

I saw this on Amazon -- due out Nov. 24, 2020    8)

https://www.amazon.com/Lady-Compromised-Rosalind-Thorne-Mystery-ebook/dp/B085LTHVP8/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2G29R14OE8IB9&dchild=1&keywords=darcie+wilde&qid=1585928483&sprefix=darcie+wil%2Caps%2C226&sr=8-5

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #326 on: April 03, 2020, 09:15:23 am »
    My twitchy fingers almost the pre-order  :o. Not for that price.

Thanks for that though. At least something to look forward to.

Unfortunately, reading the blurb, we probably won't be getting much of our Bow Street man. Or maybe we will.  ;D

Offline Trophywife007

• Central CA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #327 on: April 03, 2020, 12:54:13 pm »
    Yeah, I was wondering about who the "hero" would work out to be.

The price isn't so great but I'm hoping my OverDrive will add #3 & #4 to their collection.

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #328 on: April 03, 2020, 05:14:13 pm »
    Price is bad. I added the book to 2 of my libraries as a recommendation so we will see. Still some time to go, or is it. Considering what is going on, that might me the month we can look into starting some normalcy. Normalcy being something different by then. I have downloaded a lot more books to my kindles just in case. I own a lot, but that is only useful if they are actually on the device. 

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #329 on: April 14, 2020, 04:30:43 pm »
    Guess what I am reading. The new Lady Darby installment. Just came out. A Stroke of Malice.

https://www.amazon.com/Stroke-Malice-Lady-Darby-Mystery-ebook/dp/B07V111W1F/

Its the 8th and OMG already so good and I am only a third in. I just love love this series. I think I might have mentioned that before.  ;D. Right after the St. Cyr series. Or as much.

Thankfully I got it from the library cause price, ouch. My money has been going into food stock piles and buying masks from those folks that know how to sew. Cause I don't.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not really a moderator. :)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #330 on: April 15, 2020, 03:55:44 am »
    I got notice this morning that I'm at the top of the queue for the latest St. Cyr ... it's now borrowed and on my kindle. :)

I have the first Lady Darby but haven't read it yet ... need to get on that! :o
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
      • View Profile
    « Reply #331 on: April 15, 2020, 05:33:18 pm »
    Guess what I am reading. The new Lady Darby installment. Just came out. A Stroke of Malice.

https://www.amazon.com/Stroke-Malice-Lady-Darby-Mystery-ebook/dp/B07V111W1F/

Its the 8th and OMG already so good and I am only a third in. I just love love this series. I think I might have mentioned that before.  ;D. Right after the St. Cyr series. Or as much.

Thankfully I got it from the library cause price, ouch. My money has been going into food stock piles and buying masks from those folks that know how to sew. Cause I don't.

It's not at my library and I currently have a healthy gift card balance.  Therefore I decided I deserve a stay-at-home treat and just outright bought it at the exorbitant price.  :D

I have become so apathetic about life in general lately that I haven't even been reading much.  This should lift me out of that slump!

Online Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #332 on: April 15, 2020, 06:02:50 pm »
    I finished the new St Cyr on Sunday and the Lady Darby one yesterday.
    Both were good for me.

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #333 on: May 01, 2020, 06:26:11 pm »
    Finished the Lady Darby and loved it. It was a bit more low key I guess, but still so good. I been reading all the new releases of some of my favorite series of various genres it seems.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #334 on: May 02, 2020, 04:30:51 am »
    I finished the latest St. Cyr a week or so ago; still working on the Lady Darby series and not yet caught up ... so I guess that's good for me. Hmmm ... I don't even have it on my master list but I'm sure I've read some. Will have to update! :D

Just came available at the Library: Death in Kew Gardens which features the cook Kat Holloway. Author is Jennifer Ashley -- probably heard about it here. I think it's listed as the "Below Stairs" mysteries. Completely enjoyable.
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
    • Erm .....
      • View Profile
    « Reply #335 on: May 02, 2020, 09:02:13 am »
    OK I really need to stop reading this thread.

I'm only on book 2 of the St Cyr series and I need to finish Sally Spencer's 'Inspector Sam Blackstone' series - I think I've read about three or four of the ten available so far. I have quite a few other series I need to finish too, so I should be avoiding any recommendations for other series.

Let me turn it around some. Not sure if I've recommended any of these before but:-

Ann Swinfen's Medieval Mysteries series that starts with 'The Bookseller's Tale'. She has other series but that's the only one of hers I've read and I really enjoyed it.  It's set in 14th century Oxford.

William Savage's 'Ashmole Foxe Mysteries', set in Georgian Norwich.

E.M. Powell's 'Stanton & Barling' series - murder mysteries set in 12th century England - only two books so far but I've enjoyed them.

I suspect everyone here has already read C.J. Sansom's excellent 'Shardlake' series, but if not, I heartily recommend it.

There. Lady Darby? Kat Holloway? Not even gonna look. Well, probably not. Maybe. Sigh.  ::)
    Linda

Offline AnthonyBrown86

• View Profile
    « Reply #336 on: May 03, 2020, 05:14:16 pm »
    here is what goodreads has listed as the paperback. The font is different too and placement, but I think the image is the same. I assume  ;D

It's a great reading! I love Victoria Thompson!

Offline worktolive

• View Profile
    « Reply #337 on: May 21, 2020, 08:05:35 am »
    I just got a new release announcement from Jennifer Ashley that she's released the first of a new historical mystery series, set in Ancient Rome and featuring a former gladiator hero.

It's called Blood of the Gladiator and is under her Ashley Gardner pen name. Looks very interesting. Here's the link (sadly, not prettified since the link maker seems to be permanently broken).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087C9MR2S/

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #338 on: May 21, 2020, 08:40:39 am »
    I just got finished on her latest Captain Lacey, under her Ashley Gardner name. Loved it as I always do.

Not sure about reading that far back for historicals, but I really like her writing in all the genres she writes so I'll give it a shot.

She sure is prolific though. Now 3 historical mystery series going on at the same time by this author and still the paranormal romances, the HR, the contempo romances. Jennifer Ashley, Ashley Gardner, Allyson James. WHo knows if she got other names too.  ;D

Offline Trophywife007

• Central CA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #339 on: May 25, 2020, 01:48:53 pm »
    For those of you that are Prime members, I just noticed a the first book in a historical mystery series is included in the Prime lending library this month. It's called The Richmond Thief by Lisa Boero. Looks like the series is self-pubbed and in KU although I think there's only one book beyond this one.

I had to search back through several pages to find this post so I could thank Worktolive for the recommendation.  I just finished The Richmond Thief and am getting ready to start the second one in the series, The Ranleigh Question.  I liked the heroine very much and am hoping the author continues the series.  Here's a link to the second installment:

https://www.amazon.com/Ranleigh-Question-Lady-Althea-Mystery-ebook/dp/B07BW2ZZWX/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=lisa+boero&link_code=qs&qid=1590439573&sourceid=Mozilla-search&sr=8-1

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #340 on: May 25, 2020, 06:17:50 pm »
    I also enjoyed The Richmond Thief. Read it when it was in Prime the first time. Have the second on my Prime/KOLL wish list .. Maybe I'll grab it for my KOLL borrow for June.
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #341 on: May 29, 2020, 04:25:25 pm »
    I haz it on my kindle via KU now.  ;D

Been doing total food inventory last couple of days so not much reading. I am talking chest freezer, fridge, fridge freeer, pantry etc. I am talking entering everything into an app with name, expiry, etc. Holy moly we have a lot of food.  :-X

Now I am ready to read again.

Offline Rolland Kling

• View Profile
      • Working Authors
    « Reply #342 on: June 03, 2020, 10:53:02 am »
    I always wonder with a HM, is the author being fair to the true setting of the times, or am I getting cheated by someone who is just guessing what it was like "back when?" It's the time frame that entices me to read them, I wish I could time travel.

Offline Andrew Noakes

• History nerd. Historical fiction editor and reader
      • View Profile
      • The History Quill
    « Reply #343 on: July 11, 2020, 03:10:42 pm »
    Historical mystery is my favourite genre without a doubt. I love CJ Sansom's Shardlake series and the Giordano Bruno series from SJ Parris (based on a real figure from history!). EM Powell's Stanton and Barling series is excellent, and I enjoyed Andrew Swanston's Thomas Hill books.

Some of my other personal favourites are on this list: https://bookclub.thehistoryquill.com/30-of-the-best-historical-mystery-and-thriller-books/.

Offline Koi

• View Profile
    « Reply #344 on: July 14, 2020, 02:24:09 pm »
    Oh dear.  That link to thehistoryquill is going to keep me overloaded for ages.  Thank you.  Maybe.  Thank you?  That's it.

Online Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #345 on: July 15, 2020, 09:33:57 am »
    Oh wow - I only have read two of the series on thehistoryquill's list:  Deanna Raybourn's Veronica Speedwell and Kerry Greenwood's Phryne Fisher.  Time to start looking at new stuff.

Had to check the spelling on Raybourn's last name and discovered that the first Veronica Speedwell is only $2.99

I forgot how to change the size with the manual link maker. 
    « Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 03:25:21 pm by Andra »

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #346 on: July 15, 2020, 09:49:53 am »

I forgot how to change the size with the manual link maker. 

where you see  [img

leave a space and follow that with height=150

So the beginning of that section of code looks like this

[img height=150

Then close the bracket as usual and that will make a more reasonably sized image. :)

My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Online Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #347 on: July 15, 2020, 03:25:44 pm »