Kindle Forum banner

28-Day Cruise of the Pacific

8K views 57 replies 4 participants last post by  R. Doug 
#1 ·
And, while I was gone, I started a new series. Sample shots from 28-Day Pacific Cruise:

Samples from Port 1 Hilo - Lili'uokalani Park and Gardens:

from Port 1 Hilo - Rainbow Falls and Volcanoes National Park:

and from Port 1 Hilo - A closer look at Kilauea Caldera:

See less See more
#13 ·
The Hooded Claw said:
Serious stuff. Is the last shot on the Feb 6th post an oil slick at the Memorial?
It is indeed. We saw several splotches of oil from the USS Arizona rise to the surface.

#16 ·
Thanks, PrarieSky.  Glad you enjoy the photos.  I see now what you mean by the tiny man flying atop a dragon.  When I saw it, it looked to me like some alien life form.

#17 ·
I love orchids!

I'm sure Doug heard about it while there (and may have known going in), but for the benefit of any who don't know and are interested, the big floating battleship with number 63 is the USS Missouri. It was not completed till after Pearl Harbor, but the document sealing the surrender of Japan and ending World War II was signed on board her.

#18 ·
Yeah, I kind of touched on the history of BB-63 in the article.  She's an Iowa-Class ship.  The Iowa in in San Pedro (L.A. Harbor), New Jersey is in Camden, and Wisconsin is in Norfolk.  Construction was never completed on Illinois and Kentucky, and both of those were eventually scrapped.

#22 ·
anguabell said:
Gorgeous pictures, thanks for sharing. Especially USS Missouri, very impressive shot. It's my secret dream to tour a large battleship!
So glad you enjoyed the photos. Thanks.

#24 ·
A couple of samples from the photos in today's Port 4 Nawiliwili - Reaching Kaua'i:

Okay, I lied. More than a couple. Here's one more:

#25 ·
Some sample shots from today's Port 4 Nawiliwili - Kaua'i Marriott and Duke's delectable Hulu Pie:

#26 ·
I've fallen behind here!

The first photo in the February 17th post is a classic! And I love the street sign. That sort of thing is one of my favorite photos to seek out when traveling.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.