Author Topic: Unable to update my KB Reading Page  (Read 2898 times)  

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Laugh Loud. Run Fast. Be Kind.
    • View Profile
Re: Unable to update my KB Reading Page
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2018, 03:13:46 PM »
Linda . . . it's something that I haven't got any idea about. And, it's working for me. I know Betsy is aware -- but she's been a bit AWOL lately as she's on the west coast. I'm not sure if she's alerted the ownership and tech support people . . . . you might could send an email to the kboards address below . . . .

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
AquaKindle
Godric's Hollow (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2018, 04:42:34 AM »
The Reading page is misbehaving for me this morning. Moved a book from reading to recently read and getting all kinds of blanks. Thing is, with each refresh, it's not consistent. It's never the same missing cover images on each refresh.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
AquaKindle
Godric's Hollow (Basic)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
  • Erm .....
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2018, 06:42:11 AM »
The Reading page is misbehaving for me this morning. Moved a book from reading to recently read and getting all kinds of blanks. Thing is, with each refresh, it's not consistent. It's never the same missing cover images on each refresh.

Welcome to my world .....  :'(
"A person who publishes books, willfully appears before the populace with his pants down." Edna St. Vincent Millay

Member since 03/17/2010 | (make your own reading bar) |
My Kindles: Kindle Voyage  | Kindle Paperwhite  |  Fire HD 10  | Kindle DX  | Kindle Touch

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2018, 07:59:32 AM »
Welcome to my world .....  :'(

Not a fan. ::)

I refreshed it probably almost a dozen times this morning. . . finally got a signature that showed the 'reading' book and all but the longest-ago 'read' book. I decided that's as well as I could do. :( Just refreshed a couple more times, and random ones are going away again.

le sigh.

It would make more sense to me if specific books just stopped coming up -- then I'd say it was a broken link. But it looks to be more systemic and random at the same time. Maybe not enough resources. I dunno.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
AquaKindle
Godric's Hollow (Basic)

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
  • Erm .....
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2018, 04:33:57 AM »

Not a fan. ::)

I refreshed it probably almost a dozen times this morning. . . finally got a signature that showed the 'reading' book and all but the longest-ago 'read' book. I decided that's as well as I could do. :( Just refreshed a couple more times, and random ones are going away again.

le sigh.

It would make more sense to me if specific books just stopped coming up -- then I'd say it was a broken link. But it looks to be more systemic and random at the same time. Maybe not enough resources. I dunno.

Yeah, this has been going on for some time now and doesn't seem to improve. Each time I update I always make sure I have time to refresh it a dozen or so times - I keep going till the reading bar that shows on here is populated and all the missing ones are lower down. It's the best you can do.
"A person who publishes books, willfully appears before the populace with his pants down." Edna St. Vincent Millay

My Kindles: Kindle Voyage  | Kindle Paperwhite  |  Fire HD 10  | Kindle DX  | Kindle Touch

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2018, 04:37:38 AM »
In the past, this has meant that Amazon changed something.  There's some kind of interface that allows us to pull data from Amazon for the reading pages.  If they change something on their end, it impacts us.  I'll pass the info on to Carrie to see if the tech team can determine anything.

Betsy
Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX
Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2018, 05:19:10 AM »
Wonder of wonders: my 1st refresh this morning and all is fine.

Still would make sense to have the tech folks check things, though, for both the US and UK tools.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
AquaKindle
Godric's Hollow (Basic)

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2018, 05:22:55 AM »
Wonder of wonders: my 1st refresh this morning and all is fine.

Still would make sense to have the tech folks check things, though, for both the US and UK tools.

But I only see about half your books.  :( :(

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2018, 05:49:58 AM »
But I only see about half your books.  :( :(

Really? Maybe hit the refresh . . . 'cause I see all of mine.

BUT, I only see some of YOURS. :o

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
AquaKindle
Godric's Hollow (Basic)

Offline chc

• Administrator
  • Remembering my good husband... Love you, Harv!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2018, 08:07:47 AM »
In the past, this has meant that Amazon changed something.  There's some kind of interface that allows us to pull data from Amazon for the reading pages.  If they change something on their end, it impacts us.  I'll pass the info on to Carrie to see if the tech team can determine anything.

Betsy

Sent a note to Doug...  Hope it's just a quick fix... and that it's not "us" :)

Love Harv. Miss Harv.
Harvey Chute
Founder - KBoards.com
1962-2015

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
  • Erm .....
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2018, 08:33:06 AM »

Interesting - I see all of Ann's but only some of Betsy's - but strangely there's a gap in mine too and I was sure the last time I updated the only gaps were further down the list. Curiouser and curiouser ....

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2018, 04:23:44 PM »
Have you updated it since you posted yesterday, Linda? 'Cause all yours were there the last time I visited this thread, but now there's one cover missing. I did a refresh on mine yesterday morning and all the covers appeared. Haven't done anything since.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
AquaKindle
Godric's Hollow (Basic)

• Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2018, 04:43:02 AM »

Yeah, I only see some of mine, too.  It was like that when I posted, too.  But I wasn't commenting on mine. :D

I do see all of yours this morning.

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
  • Erm .....
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2018, 06:21:39 AM »
Have you updated it since you posted yesterday, Linda? 'Cause all yours were there the last time I visited this thread, but now there's one cover missing. I did a refresh on mine yesterday morning and all the covers appeared. Haven't done anything since.

I didn't think I'd changed anything and that it had randomly disappeared, but I could be mistaken.

This morning I'm trying to get rid of that gap - I haven't made any changes, just pressed the save button - four times and there were different books missing each time and on the fifth go I got an error message:

Secure Connection Failed

The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.
    The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
    Please contact the web site owners to inform them of this problem.

Off to try a sixth save ..... OK so no error message this time but still books missing. Sigh.

• Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2018, 07:58:48 AM »
I didn't think I'd changed anything and that it had randomly disappeared, but I could be mistaken.

This morning I'm trying to get rid of that gap - I haven't made any changes, just pressed the save button - four times and there were different books missing each time and on the fifth go I got an error message:

Off to try a sixth save ..... OK so no error message this time but still books missing. Sigh.

The error message *may* have been because the tech team is working on it... 

My understanding is that to save on system overhead, the signature uses cached copies rather than calling the data each time from Amazon.

And, just to be clear--are we talking about the signature bar or the reading page?  Or both?

Betsy

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2018, 08:58:35 AM »
The error message *may* have been because the tech team is working on it... 

My understanding is that to save on system overhead, the signature uses cached copies rather than calling the data each time from Amazon.

And, just to be clear--are we talking about the signature bar or the reading page?  Or both?

Betsy

Kinda both. I noticed it when I was updating the last book I'd read and when I did a 'save changes' there were a lot of blank spots. Subsequent 'save changes' -- without having actually changed things -- refreshed the bar but each time there were different blanks. It seems pretty random. At least once I noticed that where there was a space on the reading bar, those books were missing on the reading page. It was obvious because there were a lot of blanks in the bar, and the page had very few books showing.

I note that once you save changes on the reading page, the new bar won't show for you until you refresh the browser page. Apparently closing and re-opening the browser, or going off the page and coming back doesn't do it: you have to do a refresh while the page is open.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 09:01:21 AM by Ann in Arlington »

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
AquaKindle
Godric's Hollow (Basic)

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
  • Erm .....
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2018, 09:52:06 AM »

Betsy

When you're on the update / set up page where you actually enter the book info, where it lists the titles and authors next to the Amazon code, the ones that are blank just say 'by' - the author and title are missing. The sample reading bars on that update page show a gap in these places, as do the chosen reading bars below the posts on these thread pages. The actual reading page has the same books missing, but no gaps where they should be.

As Ann says, each time you press 'save' the missing books change randomly. When we first had this reading page, this didn't happen - it always updated fully and correctly each time. I thought at first the problem was just with Amazon UK, but apparently this is not so.