Author Topic: Stephen King's Under the Dome is now $16.99??  (Read 1113 times)  

Offline PraiseGod13

• Iowa
  • <'///>< Member #54
    • View Profile
Stephen King's Under the Dome is now $16.99??
« on: May 15, 2010, 08:11:35 am »
I know that Kindle book prices have been all over the place lately.... but this is just plain crazy!  The pre-order price for this book last fall when it was released came down to $7.20.  And now, over six months later.... it's $16.99!  What in the world are they thinking??  I have another book that I've been wanting to buy for a long time.  It is the first in a series of 11 (so far) books.... has been out for 11 years now... and the price on it is double the price of the paperback.  Plus, it's $2 more than the price of the more recent books in the series which also makes no sense to me.  I definitely won't be buying it.... but the bad thing is that my library doesn't have the book either.  Guess I'll have to pay for an interlibrary loan if they can find some other library that has it.  UGH!!  Anyone else struggling with these frustrations??

MaKK (K1) & Shemar (K3)
Books let us into their souls and lay open to us the secrets of our own. ~ William Hazl

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline David McAfee

• Tennessee
      • View Profile
    Re: Stephen King's Under the Dome is now $16.99??
    « Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 12:17:55 pm »
    Saw a print copy of that at the store. man, that thing is HUGE!

Offline Tris

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 03:12:57 pm »
    Huh, good thing I got my copy when it was below $9.99!  I am finding a lot of the books that I quickly bought before this whole agency model thing started have prices that are up...way up.  I also have a rare few that have prices that are "yo-yo-ing".

I feel bad for others...but man, it makes me feel good that most of my "wish list" is now already bought and on my Kindle...

Is that bad?;)

Tris

Offline Taborcarn

• New Jersey
      • View Profile
      • My Goodreads Profile
    « Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 04:00:02 am »
    Yup, just another victim of the agency model.  Simon and Schuster feels this is a more appropriate price than what Amazon was previously charging.  I'm just glad i got it back in January.

Offline PraiseGod13

• Iowa
    • <'///>< Member #54
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 08:39:35 am »
    I know that Kindle book prices have been all over the place lately.... but this is just plain crazy!  The pre-order price for this book last fall when it was released came down to $7.20.  And now, over six months later.... it's $16.99!  What in the world are they thinking??  I have another book that I've been wanting to buy for a long time.  It is the first in a series of 11 (so far) books.... has been out for 11 years now... and the price on it is double the price of the paperback.  Plus, it's $2 more than the price of the more recent books in the series which also makes no sense to me.  I definitely won't be buying it.... but the bad thing is that my library doesn't have the book either.  Guess I'll have to pay for an interlibrary loan if they can find some other library that has it.  UGH!!  Anyone else struggling with these frustrations??

And now... going from bad to worse... the series that I mentioned that I've SOOO wanted to buy..... last night the prices on Amazon were raised ANOTHER $3.50 per book!!  I bought my Kindle so I could read my favorite books..... never guessing I wouldn't be able to afford to buy them.  This series alone would cost me around $150 and that's just beyond my budget.  Thank goodness for occasional free and bargain books and the books I've already purchased,  or I wouldn't be using my Kindle at all.... back to the library...... this is NOT how I thought it would be. 

MaKK (K1) & Shemar (K3)
    Books let us into their souls and lay open to us the secrets of our own. ~ William Hazl

Offline pidgeon92

• Chicago IL
    • Nothin' but a hound dog.
      • View Profile
      • Carmen-Ashland Building
    « Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 09:14:07 am »
    The prices will come back down. Be patient and keep an eye on them.
       my e-readers: Kindle 2 Kindle 3 nook iPad Sony-950

Offline bkworm8it

• Pacific Northwest
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: May 16, 2010, 09:16:17 am »
    That's awful. When I got the kindle most of the series I'm reading were not available and still aren't. :( but I have now have 12 pages of mostly indy and free books. I've read so much on kindle lately that even for my favorite authors I haven't been able to bring myself to read them in DTB. Of course it could be that my reading glasses are now 3 years old and need replaced but with the kindle I don't need them.  Guess I'll just save up and get my eyes checked again and replace the lenses.

Theresam
    So many good books, so little time!

Offline Magenta

• View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: May 16, 2010, 09:29:45 am »

Kindle book pricing is crazy!  I find myself grabbing books when they are listed for $9.99 and lower, just to get them before the price goes up!!!

Otherwise, I just put them in my shopping list and check back periodically.  I've got plenty to read so waiting is not a big deal.

Offline MariaESchneider

• Austin, Texas
    • Urban Fantasy, Fantasy, Humorous Mysteries
      • View Profile
      • Bear Mountain Books
    « Reply #8 on: May 16, 2010, 09:42:41 am »
    Huh, good thing I got my copy when it was below $9.99!  I am finding a lot of the books that I quickly bought before this whole agency model thing started have prices that are up...way up.  I also have a rare few that have prices that are "yo-yo-ing".

I feel bad for others...but man, it makes me feel good that most of my "wish list" is now already bought and on my Kindle...

Is that bad?;)

Tris

Just evil, Tris, evil.   ;D

Offline Ben Lacy

• View Profile
      • The Dempsey Gambit
    « Reply #9 on: May 16, 2010, 03:06:19 pm »
    I was looking at those above me in Kindle sports fiction sales rankings on Amazon, topping the list was a Stephen King short novella priced at $7+.   A lot of complaints about that in the reviews.  But people were still buying it.  So I guess, if you can get away with it, you're going to do it (man am I jealous).

http://www.scribd.com/Hedgehog000 - check out my sci-fi/fantasy short stories for free.

Offline PhillipA82

• View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: May 16, 2010, 03:23:38 pm »
    Yeah, saw that too...

Offline cheerio

• View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: May 16, 2010, 03:26:15 pm »
    wow
    "Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt

"A successful person is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks that others throw at him or her." David Brinkle

Offline mikev

• View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: May 16, 2010, 07:19:46 pm »
    Let the publisher know how you feel

http://www.simonandschuster.com/about/contact_us

KBoards.com

• Advertisement