Author Topic: Prowritingaid vs grammarly vs autocrit?  (Read 14528 times)  

Offline ShayneRutherford

• Toronto, Ontario
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: Prowritingaid vs grammarly vs autocrit?
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2018, 05:02:26 pm »
Pro Writing Aid has a Black Friday sale running right now. The lifetime subscription is 50% off.

https://prowritingaid.com/en/App/Purchase

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline ShayneRutherford

• Toronto, Ontario
      • View Profile
      • My Website
    « Reply #26 on: November 21, 2018, 05:08:22 pm »
    They're all useless. None of them do all they claim to do, and most of what they do has no practical value.

To the former, PWA does not detect all passives, for example, including some everyday ones: It does not detect the first person present simple passive in either uncontract or contracted forms (e.g., I am/I'm mistreated by them) or the rest of the contracted forms (e.g., It's transported by train; You're pushed around too easily). Nor does it detect any of the present continuous passives (e.g., I am/I'm being lied to), the get-passives (e.g., I got promoted), or the have-done passives (e.g., I had my dog put down).

Making matters worse, PWA wastes your time on a whole lot of passives it should skip over. For example, every thriller and horror novel will have dozens of sentences like "He was covered in blood" and "The body was submerged in the lake." The agent is either unknown or unimportant in such sentences, so there's nothing to fix.[snip]

The thing you (general you) have to remember about programs like this is that it's never going to be perfect. And it will never take the place of a human editor, because it can't understand context, or the vagaries of human speech. But it can act as a second set of eyes, to catch things that you might miss on your own editing pass, as long as you have a good grasp of grammar and can tell when it's about to lead you astray.

Offline Brevoort

• Calgary
      • View Profile
      • The Disaster Tourist
    « Reply #27 on: November 22, 2018, 08:59:52 am »
    There's nothing that helps you give a manuscript a better coat of polish toward the end of editing than hearing it instead of reading it.

I fully agree. While I have, and to some extent still use, just about every bit of grammar checking software on the planet nothing comes close to the human ear's ability to snag bits of bad writing. There is only one technique more efficient than having a computer read text to you and that is recording your own writing. Saying the words out loud while trying to make a good recording, as if you were trying to make an audiobook, just cannot be beaten for detecting even the most subtle of errors.

I've experienced having a novel processed three ways to Sunday by editing programs, tilled and cultivated by a copy editor, and sent out to what were evidently one eyed proof readers, and still, during the audiobook recording process any number of bizarre misphrasings and typos cropped up. It was grossly frustrating.

Rick Grant
    Calgary

Offline 98475

• View Profile
    « Reply #28 on: November 22, 2018, 06:27:11 pm »
    Prowriting Aid by far. Most reasonable and lots of tools. The only gripe I have is that you must upload short chapters at a time because it does lag if there are too many characters.

Offline anikad

• View Profile
    « Reply #29 on: November 23, 2018, 09:02:26 am »
    I've tired both Prowritingaid & Autocrit and like them both, but went with the lifetime subscription on Prowritingaid because I couldn't afford the $30 monthly fee on Autocrit. I saw that someone mentioned a lifetime on Autocrit but I don't see It on the site.
    There is a lifetime membership for Autocrit, it is on sale intermittently. I got an email about it today but they are doing the weird buy it for a friend (althought I don't see anything stopping you buying it for yourself). It costs $197, so Prowritingaid is significantly cheaper.

Offline GarySF

• View Profile
    « Reply #30 on: November 25, 2018, 05:14:44 pm »
    +1 for combination of PWA and Scrivener.

Everist J Miller

Offline dawillson

• View Profile
    « Reply #31 on: November 25, 2018, 05:16:41 pm »
    Autocrit for style, flow, and feel.  Pro writing aid for more technical aspects of writing, including grammar, spelling, sticky sentences, etc.  Together they are amazing.

Offline RPatton

• View Profile
    « Reply #32 on: November 25, 2018, 08:47:15 pm »
    Autocrit for style, flow, and feel.  Pro writing aid for more technical aspects of writing, including grammar, spelling, sticky sentences, etc.  Together they are amazing.

Just want to jump in and add a plus 1 for both.

I grabbed the lifetime deal for Autocrit (I had just bought the 3 months for $45 deal and Autocrit gave me a $20 credit, they could have told me to pound dirt since 200/life is sort is cheaper than a 9 month pro subscription - Shout out to Kevin for being so helpful) and am about to grab the lifetime deal for PWA.

If my editor doesn't have to correct my stupid habits (look kids, comma splice ... kids, comma splice, again), she can focus more time on style and whatnot.

Autocrit's special expires tonight (Sunday) at midnight (not sure the time zone) and PWA is good until tomorrow (Monday). I think both of these services are the better investments of all the editing helpers available.

Offline emilymatthews

• Olympia, WA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33 on: December 02, 2018, 01:59:00 pm »
    I am testing/comparing PWA and Grammarly now, trying to decide which to purchase. PWA seems to have a very long load/lag time (like 20-25 seconds per "issue"). I have it reviewing about 2000 words. Is that too many?
    Grammarly reviewed the same number of words super fast, but maybe not as thoroughly???
    Also, is it possible they are interacting together? I downloaded the Grammarly app and now when I am using PWA it is asking me if I want more info from Grammarly . . . Maybe that's causing the slowdown and I should turn off Grammarly when using PWA? It's probably operator error, but any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks

Offline optra56

• View Profile
    « Reply #34 on: October 09, 2019, 01:21:30 am »
    If we talk about Grammarly, it is best suitable for daily tasks. Grammarly will have you to leave a good impression on others. Also, it will help you to correct your spelling mistakes in emails, messages, blogs, and comments.

Moreover, the tool is a bullet for short paragraphs, stories, posts, and essays. Ultimately, its a great tool for everyday life.

Coming to ProWritingAid, this software focuses more on style checking. It helps you develop and built well structures in your writing. The best part it gives big-picture feedback for improving your writing.

Furthermore, the tool is best suitable for long writing purpose. Also, it can save you a lot of money with a single time payment option in the long run.

https://www.a2zgyaan.com/grammarly-vs-prowritingaid/

Offline CaptnAndy

• Folsom, CA
      • View Profile
      • Anomally Report
    « Reply #35 on: October 09, 2019, 12:37:41 pm »
    Yeah grammarly is very low on the totem pole and only helps a little bit.

I have used both, and I agree. I write with Libre Open Office. I usually cut and paste into ProWritingAid one chapter at a time.
    After The Final Event: 80%

After The Days Of Infamy: 60%
    A.G. Kimbrough, An Author/Publisher of Historical Fiction and Hard Science Fiction
    A.G. Kimbrough

KBoards.com

• Advertisement