Author Topic: Percentage of book read  (Read 612 times)  

Offline reader1

• View Profile
Percentage of book read
« on: April 24, 2017, 08:17:58 am »
Does it bother anyone else that the percent of a book read doesn't accurately measure the book itself, but includes preview of new books, and comments/advertising from the author?  This bothers me greatly.  Often it will say, for example, that the book is 92% finished.  I figure, OK too much for me to continue reading tonight.  I pick it up next time and find there is only about 10 minutes left in the book.  To my way of thinking, the figure should reflect the actual book only.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    Re: Percentage of book read
    « Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 09:17:50 am »
    Well, it reflects how much of the file is left. And, yeah, that includes any back matter.

If it really bothers you, the thing to do is page through the contents before starting and figure out where the 'real end' is. You can even put a bookmark there if you don't think you'll remember.

I agree that it's annoying when you're reading and think you've got like 10% of the book to finish and then . . . it ends! :o But it's really no different to a paperback that has samples of the next volume or whatever at the back. The key is knowing it's there and being prepared.

All that said, if they can specify a 'beginning', they ought to also be able to specify an 'end'.  And it seems to me that the 'rate this book now' pop up does come at the end of the narrative, even if there's another chunk of backmatter following.

Bottom line -- it's a software thing, so the thing to do might be to contact Kindle CS with the complaint and offer a suggestion for what would fix the issue for you. :)
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline larryb52

• one day at a time
      • View Profile
    Re: Percentage of book read
    « Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 12:24:47 pm »
    Does it bother anyone else that the percent of a book read doesn't accurately measure the book itself, but includes preview of new books, and comments/advertising from the author?  This bothers me greatly.  Often it will say, for example, that the book is 92% finished.  I figure, OK too much for me to continue reading tonight.  I pick it up next time and find there is only about 10 minutes left in the book.  To my way of thinking, the figure should reflect the actual book only.

totally agree but it depends on the book and how wrapped up I am in it...
    Larry

KBoards.com

• Advertisement