Author Topic: Hearing Aid Advice  (Read 2908 times)  

Offline Kathy

• Lighthouse Point, FL
  • Member 376
    • View Profile
Re: Hearing Aid Advice
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2017, 07:06:50 am »
I just tried the triple click on my 6S....and the Hearing Devices came cup with Start Live Listen. I will try it later. I don't think this option is listed in TruLink. I shall try this later when I am watching TV.  I don't think my audiologist even knows about this!

The live listen is only available with the triple click. I did the same as you. I created a memory using the TruLink app for watching TV. I'm happy with it so far.  I'm surprised that the audiologist didn't show you the feature.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Kathy

• Lighthouse Point, FL
    • Member 376
      • View Profile
    « Reply #26 on: May 25, 2017, 07:11:39 am »
    I am extremely upset - I have lost my hearing aids! And while I can afford to purchase a new pair, I REALLY don't want to have to lay out the money.

Be careful with them!

So sorry to hear that you lost them. That is one of my fears. Some come with a two year policy. My Phonak was two years but the Starkeys are for three years.  The Starkey also have a find my hearing aids that you can use from the iPhone. The only problem is that I doubt it works unless the batteries are in them and still good.

Offline Jane917

• Ridgefield, WA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #27 on: May 25, 2017, 07:48:25 am »
    Thanks! I've had mine over 2 years now, so I doubt it. I actually had a thought to check my home owners' policy which does cover loss of personal property, subject to my deductible. So that will help some. I also picked up new brochures from Costco of other brands that y'all have been talking about here, so I'll be doing research for a new pair.

I think the company insures my HAs for 3 years, not sure. Home insurance does not cover them without a rider.
    Words with Friends: Jane917

(Make your own reading bar)

Offline *DrDLN* (dr.s.dhillon)

• Mtn House, CA
    • Self-help and Spiritual Living
      • View Profile
      • "HEALTH and LOVE is your birth-right" Series
    « Reply #28 on: June 07, 2017, 04:44:00 pm »
    Excuse my ignorance but appreciate if someone can explain about blue-tooth function to watch TV.

My hearing aid has blue-tooth function. I am not sure about TV. I have Samsung and LG smart TV. Is it possible to hear TV sound using blue-tooth, as many of you seem to love this function?

My computer is connected and blue-tooth is very useful to hear audio sounds on computer.... Thanks.

Offline Jane917

• Ridgefield, WA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #29 on: June 08, 2017, 08:03:05 am »
    I cannot use the bluetooth function on my HAs to listen to TV. However, I can set my iPhone with the app on Stream Boost right next to the speakers, and stream to my HAs. It is not very effective if there are other sounds going on in the room. My best bet for listening to TV is to set my HAs to TV mode. Not all HAs have this capability, and my audiologist has to tweak with the settings on the HAs to make it optimum for me.

Offline Kathy

• Lighthouse Point, FL
    • Member 376
      • View Profile
    « Reply #30 on: June 09, 2017, 07:35:35 am »
    Excuse my ignorance but appreciate if someone can explain about blue-tooth function to watch TV.

My hearing aid has blue-tooth function. I am not sure about TV. I have Samsung and LG smart TV. Is it possible to hear TV sound using blue-tooth, as many of you seem to love this function?

My computer is connected and blue-tooth is very useful to hear audio sounds on computer.... Thanks.

It doesn't Bluetooth to the TV directly. If you have the Starkey Halo hearing aids they Bluetooth directly to the iPhone and you can use the Steam Boost that Jane917 was talking about. I have the same issue with the noise problem. I had the Phonak hearing aids and they had a Bluetooth receiver you hooked to the TV and then you wore a gadget around your neck. The gadget around your neck Bluetooth to the TV hookup and then into the hearing aids. The sound from the TV then was streamed into your hearing aids. This made TV viewing wonderful. That is the only thing I miss with the Starkey is how much more enjoyable watching TV was. I have been able to get my Starkey hearing aids adjusted so that I'm not having that much of an issue watching TV now. The Starkey's also allow you to created programs based on where you are. You can adjust the sound on the hearing aids to cancel out background sounds and increase or decrease volume. This helps with meetings and restaurants as well.

• Mtn House, CA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #31 on: June 16, 2017, 12:57:00 pm »
    Thanks Jane and Kathy for useful info. I can use HAs with computer and Mobile phone and it works like a headset. But I still have to figure out some convenient way with smart TVs.

Offline Mike D. aka jmiked

• Terra firma
      • View Profile
    « Reply #32 on: July 05, 2017, 06:59:04 pm »
    Here's another piece of hearing aid advice: When you throw a load of clothes into the washing machine, check the pockets for your hearing aids. Mine dropped out of the jumble when I was transferring the clothes to the dryer. They were in the nice carrying case at the time, and didn't really appear to be that wet, or even damp. They are in a Tupperware box filled with rice for the next several days.

I'm glad they weren't all that expensive. Relatively speaking. And I'm glad my hearing is still mostly there.  :)

Offline Kathy

• Lighthouse Point, FL
    • Member 376
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33 on: July 06, 2017, 05:51:44 am »
    Here's another piece of hearing aid advice: When you throw a load of clothes into the washing machine, check the pockets for your hearing aids. Mine dropped out of the jumble when I was transferring the clothes to the dryer. They were in the nice carrying case at the time, and didn't really appear to be that wet, or even damp. They are in a Tupperware box filled with rice for the next several days.

I'm glad they weren't all that expensive. Relatively speaking. And I'm glad my hearing is still mostly there.  :)

Yikes! If you have to replace look at the Starky Halos. They are waterproof and I'm told they will survive the washing machine.

Offline Jane917

• Ridgefield, WA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34 on: July 06, 2017, 08:17:30 am »
    Yikes! If you have to replace look at the Starky Halos. They are waterproof and I'm told they will survive the washing machine.

I have not been told my Starkey Halos are waterproof. They sure don't look waterproof. I think the bigger threat of losing HAs comes from leaving them around where a dog can sniff that nice smelling plastic. Yes, many a HA has been lost to a dog. Not mine, thankfully.

• Terra firma
      • View Profile
    « Reply #35 on: July 16, 2017, 01:48:05 pm »
    My hearing aids were really, really dead.  :'(  So I've ordered a new pair, same as the ones I got before.

Offline Jane917

• Ridgefield, WA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #36 on: July 16, 2017, 05:15:06 pm »
    My hearing aids were really, really dead.  :'(  So I've ordered a new pair, same as the ones I got before.

Sorry to hear that. It is a hard way (and expensive) to learn a lesson. I bet you never do it again.

Offline Kathy

• Lighthouse Point, FL
    • Member 376
      • View Profile
    « Reply #37 on: August 14, 2017, 06:44:01 am »
    I have not been told my Starkey Halos are waterproof. They sure don't look waterproof. I think the bigger threat of losing HAs comes from leaving them around where a dog can sniff that nice smelling plastic. Yes, many a HA has been lost to a dog. Not mine, thankfully.

I was worried about salt water spray when on the boat. They said that the new Starkey's that I bought would not have a problem. They gave an example of someone's falling into the water and then retrieved. They were fine. I don't know if it would stand up to being washed in the washing machine, but if they fall in water and are retrieved quickly they should be ok. That was a big selling point for me since we live in Florida and are around water all of the time. I was worried that if I forgot to take them out and was in the water that they would ruin.

• Terra firma
      • View Profile
    « Reply #38 on: August 14, 2017, 08:28:31 am »
    Sorry to hear that. It is a hard way (and expensive) to learn a lesson. I bet you never do it again.

I wouldn't bet actual money on it.  ;D ;D

Offline CegAbq

• Albuquerque, NM
      • View Profile
    « Reply #39 on: August 21, 2017, 01:56:02 pm »
    Has anyone had experience with the Bose Hearphones?
    Carol in 'burque

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to Skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and shouting: Damn-What a ride!

• Mtn House, CA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #40 on: August 29, 2017, 09:28:52 pm »

I don't know about Bose Hearphones but mine works very well as a headphone with my computer.

Offline CegAbq

• Albuquerque, NM
      • View Profile
    « Reply #41 on: August 29, 2017, 10:27:08 pm »
    I've ordered a pair which may be here on thursday (I don't think they are in a location near Hurricane Harvey). I will definitely provide feedback, since I have used hearing aids & really enjoyed them (Until I lost them  :o)
    Carol in 'burque

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to Skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and shouting: Damn-What a ride!

• Terra firma
      • View Profile
    « Reply #42 on: September 29, 2017, 09:20:51 pm »
    Somehow I missed this at the time, but a few weeks ago, Congress actually managed to pass something that was signed into law: The FDA Reauthorization Act of 2017. This Act includes The Over-the-Counter Hearing Aid Act, which directs the FDA to issue regulations making prescription-quality hearing aids available without a medical exam or prescription for adults with mild to moderate hearing loss.

This should result in much lower-priced devices in the not-too-distant future. I have to wonder how this bill got signed into law, as I'm sure the lobbyists of hearing aid manufacturers threw a ton of money at legislators to kill it.

We won one. Congratulations to us.  ;D ;D

• Mtn House, CA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #43 on: September 07, 2019, 03:37:35 pm »
    I know this thread is over 2 yrs old. But I am looking again for a new hearing aid and hope there will be new advice since technology has advanced.

I am looking for in-the-ear and rechargeable hearing aid. Any experience and advice will be appreciated. I did buy Sound World Companion in 2017 following the advice on this thread. It was good advice but was not ready to wear it regularly. This is behind-the-ear (BTE) device and assume In-the -ear (ITE) will be easier and less visible.

I will be going to the audiologist in a week or so. Thanks in advance for the help.

Offline Jane917

• Ridgefield, WA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #44 on: September 08, 2019, 11:05:15 am »
    I know this thread is over 2 yrs old. But I am looking again for a new hearing aid and hope there will be new advice since technology has advanced.

I am looking for in-the-ear and rechargeable hearing aid. Any experience and advice will be appreciated. I did buy Sound World Companion in 2017 following the advice on this thread. It was good advice but was not ready to wear it regularly. This is behind-the-ear (BTE) device and assume In-the -ear (ITE) will be easier and less visible.

I will be going to the audiologist in a week or so. Thanks in advance for the help.

My instinct tells me your audiologist will have a recommendation for either BTE or ITE. Different hearing losses do best with different kinds of aids. The only rechargeable HA I can think of is the Lyric. You go in to the audiologist every 3 months to have it charged, or whatever they do. It stays in your ear for a year, then gets changed out. Many audiologists don't like them, but I have a friend it works well with. You don't really buy the Lyric, you "rent" it for a year.

I have Starkey Halos which work great for me. I had Widex in the ear, but these behind the ear are better for me. Technology has greatly advanced. I change batteries twice/week. I control what kind of listening environment I am in.

• Terra firma
      • View Profile
    « Reply #45 on: September 09, 2019, 06:19:58 am »
    The Over-the-Counter Hearing Aid Act goes into effect next year. It is expected to lower the cost of hearing aids significantly. Im already starting to see pre-announcements of much less expensive models with similar specs as the prescription ones.
    « Last Edit: December 07, 2019, 07:32:13 am by Mike D. aka jmiked »

Offline CegAbq

• Albuquerque, NM
      • View Profile
    « Reply #46 on: September 09, 2019, 11:14:05 pm »
    The Over-the-Counter Hearing Aid Act goes into effect next year. It is expected to lower the cost of hear aids significantly. Im already starting to see pre-announcements of much less expensive models with similar specs as the prescription ones.
    This sounds very exciting.
    I have BTE from Costco - their Kirkland brand, my second pair. I've been very happy but looking forward to what the OTCHA Act might bring to light.
    Carol in 'burque

• Mtn House, CA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #47 on: September 14, 2019, 04:35:05 pm »
    Thanks for all the responses. There are quite a few rechargeable and In-the-ear/canal hearing aids I searched. These are roughly around $2000. Jane you don't need to go anywhere, rechargeable works just like mobile phone.

I am going to Costco for test and looking at some choices on Sep 30 and to audiologist Oct 9, 2019. I will then decide which one will work better.

I prefer in-the-ear/canal and rechargeable and wish if some one happens to use it gives me some idea if it is more convenient than BTE.

I have behind the ear, chargeable with blue tooth function and three settings but assume ITE will be more convenient. Thank you all for sharing the info and experience.

• Mtn House, CA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #48 on: December 02, 2019, 04:47:05 pm »
    I have in the Canal from ReSound and behind the ear from sound-world solutions. Even though ReSound hearing aid price is 4-times the sound-world, ReSound has lot more echo and uncomfortable. I can't stand it. Just got last week.

Is it due to difference in in-the-canal and behind the ear models or something else? Anyone had similar problem.

I love to hear any personal experience about the hearing-aids. I am having lot of trouble adjusting to this. Thanks.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement