Author Topic: Sales Slump  (Read 8184 times)  

Offline RandomThings

• View Profile
Sales Slump
« on: May 21, 2017, 05:56:19 am »
Okay, I understand that sales can fall off, but this ones a bit unusual for me so thought I'd ask for advice.

I have a few books, one permafree that without any advertising generally has an average of ten downloads a day. Of my other books, sales are between 5 - 15 a day. This has been consistent for nearly two years now. Obviously when I release something new, the sales and reads spike.

On the 18th May, sales dropped to zero. 19th, back to 5, 20th zero and today, so far, zero. Page reads were normal then dropped to half yesterday and are at about 300 pages today. Its normally about 5000 page reads a day. Looking on bookreport, I'm seeing a few 1 page, or 10 page, 18 page reads against books. That's never really happened before, so these are oddities.

Anyone else having issues? Is it just me? I released a new book in a series just three weeks ago and the tail from a release is usually much longer. I would put it down to falling off a cliff, but as stated earlier, sales and reads have been consistent for a couple of years now. Any ideas or suggestions?

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline ilamont

• Mass.
      • View Profile
    Re: Sales Slump
    « Reply #1 on: May 21, 2017, 07:01:09 am »
    Sorry to hear about this.

How do you market the books? Have you made any recent marketing changes?

Offline RandomThings

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: May 21, 2017, 07:09:35 am »
    No changes to anything. Marketing has always been sporadic for these books. Because of the permafree it has been steady for the last couple of years with little need for more than the occasional push.

Offline Ellie L

• View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: May 21, 2017, 08:17:22 am »
    NOTHING TO SEE HERE
    « Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 07:39:20 pm by Ellie L »

Offline RandomThings

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: May 21, 2017, 08:31:29 am »
    That's what I was wondering. Simply because these have been so consistent.  Lowest these have been was one day earlier this year where I only sold 1 book bug had higher page reads that day and almost double normal sales the next day. It's an oddity which might indicate it's something wrong somewhere... but no idea what to do about it.

Offline Laran Mithras

• Butte MT
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: May 21, 2017, 08:31:35 am »
    My sales average for number of titles has doubled from April to May.

Many authors had a great April (I never do).

Could be genre and your customer base.

Offline PearlEarringLady

• View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: May 21, 2017, 08:58:35 am »
    I've seen an abrupt drop in sales, too, over the last week to 10 days, but in my case I can account for it by the usual suspects - last release 30-day cliff, end of tail on last promo, no new release in one genre, etc, etc. So although it's an unusually steep drop, it's (probably) natural.

Yours sounds a bit odder. If sales and borrows have been running smoothly for 2 years (!) and suddenly vanish, that's unlikely to be a regular drop. In that case, I'd suspect either a reporting glitch (in which case it will correct itself in time) or a change in algos (in which case, man the lifeboats, run for the hills, hide in the nuclear bunker, etc, etc, until the dust settles). Not sure that there's anything to be done about it, frankly, except ride it out and hope things improve. Good luck!

Offline RandomThings

• View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: May 21, 2017, 10:02:07 am »
    Hiding away sounds good. But, I don't want to actually start losing the momentum I have. Booked some promo days. Done some kindle countdown and free days.  So will see if they help boost things back to normal. 

Offline Ellie L

• View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: May 21, 2017, 10:46:53 am »
    NOTHING TO SEE HERE
    « Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 07:38:32 pm by Ellie L »

Offline Not any more

• Baltimore, MD
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: May 21, 2017, 10:48:29 am »
    I project May will be less than half of April, and that was a down month. Page reads off 60% from April and 80% from March. The one promotion I've done did nothing. New book for release in June and new covers for my older series, so hopefully things will pick up.

This post remains on KBoards over my objections.

Offline GeneDoucette

• View Profile
      • Gene Doucette's Blog
    « Reply #10 on: May 21, 2017, 12:23:19 pm »
    I project May will be less than half of April, and that was a down month. Page reads off 60% from April and 80% from March. The one promotion I've done did nothing. New book for release in June and new covers for my older series, so hopefully things will pick up.

I'm facing the same downward drift. New release in June should help. I actually saw a bump when I republished all the books with updated backmatter. Like that restarted the algos or something.

Offline horrordude1973

• Texas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: May 21, 2017, 01:42:57 pm »
    I Had a new release early this month with good momentum. Amazon pulled the book due to content. Since then everything has plummeted. Granted, I've been kind of in a regrouping phase since that happen as it through off my entire promo schedule for the month.

Offline Cactus Lady

• Arizona
      • View Profile
      • Welcome To My Worlds
    « Reply #12 on: May 21, 2017, 10:35:01 pm »
    May has been awful for me. I'm between releases, but I've been doing some pretty steady promo, mostly Instafreebie. Which, granted, probably takes a while to start turning into paid sales on the other books in the series. But yeah, May. Bleh. I think sales in general are down (with exceptions, of course). Hope your slump just turns out to be a reporting glitch or temporary slowdown.
    Tales of Fantasy, Heroism, and Romance
    Genres: Epic Romantic Fantasy, Fantasy-western
    http://www.kyrahalland.com

Offline 9 Diamonds

• View Profile
      • 9 Diamonds Press
    « Reply #13 on: May 22, 2017, 04:16:55 am »
    So far May's been healthy and steady for us, although more in terms of sales than page reads. Sales are good.

Offline S.B. Williams

• View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: May 22, 2017, 05:04:32 am »
    I've had an unusual drop in paperback sales for the entire month of May. Paperback sales have been accounting for about 30% of my income over the last two years, with the usual spikes and drop-offs corresponding to new releases. This month they are so far down it may be more like 5%. I have a new release coming May 30, so I'll see how the paperback sales for that one go in June.

Offline Jonathan C. Gillespie

• Atlanta, GA
    • Relentlessly Patient
      • View Profile
      • Fiction For Every Reader
    « Reply #15 on: May 22, 2017, 05:33:08 am »
    I had my best April ever, but I'm small potatoes, so YMMV.

I write worlds on paper, then destroy them.
    Jonathan C. Gillespie | Official Site | Twitter | facebook | Newsletter

Offline RandomThings

• View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: May 22, 2017, 06:07:48 am »
    1 sale yesterday and 2 so far today... so I dunno. Page reads are still on the low side but better than nothing. I have 3 more books scheduled for this year and two of them will finish off this particular series, so if its reaching the point where it just won't be selling, I might need to adjust my schedule a bit. :(

Offline CLStone

• View Profile
      • Obsession is the Goal
    « Reply #17 on: May 22, 2017, 06:43:28 am »
    I opened this thinking this was the prep for summer sales slump thread. :p

New covers and second book release: Coming soon!
    Ask me for a freebie!

Offline RandomThings

• View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: May 22, 2017, 06:51:07 am »
    I opened this thinking this was the prep for summer sales slump thread. :p

It probably is connected to that. :D You know Amazon. Inscrutable as ever.

Offline Jena H

• North Carolina
    • Desperate character
      • View Profile
    « Reply #19 on: May 22, 2017, 07:08:19 am »
    I thought April was bad, although paperback sales were very good last month.  But May.......   :'(   "Oh, the humanity!!!"
    Jena

Offline unkownwriter

• View Profile
    « Reply #20 on: May 23, 2017, 05:57:17 am »
    April was my best month ever, nearly double my previous best (though very prawny to anyone else). This month? Not so much. A new release hasn't caught on. That's how it seems to work for me. I need to hold off on releases until the last one finally dies, which goes against everything I've learned about selling books. Strange.

Anyway, Amazon announced that new list thing, and I've noticed every time they do something new, or change something, my progress goes down the toilet. It makes no sense, but that's my observation about my reports.

Out_there

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2017, 06:08:03 am »
    So far, this has been one of my worse months ever on Amazon. Wide is doing the usual. Having to hustle to try to turn this around.

Offline RandomThings

• View Profile
    « Reply #22 on: May 23, 2017, 10:32:20 am »
    After a free day on another book, I got nine sales and then back to zero today. Its bizarre. Occasional day with a spurt of sales and then one or two with zero. Page reads are low, but still something I suppose. I have a promo slot coming up this week so will see what happens then.

Oddly, still having the same number of daily free downloads, so that hasn't changed, just the sell through. I keep seeing odd page reads too on books in the series. One of them has 3 page reads over today and I saw each 1 page come in separately. A lot of the other page reads are low come in spurts of odd numbers. Its very strange. I'd go wide but if this continues, KU will be the only income from the books so need to stay in it.

Offline Seneca42

• View Profile
    « Reply #23 on: May 24, 2017, 01:14:10 pm »
    April was my best month ever (in 1.5 years of publishing now). May was going horribly, but is picking up in the latter half, but still will end well down of April. I'm hoping it's a blip and things get back on track in June.

On a side note, for people who follow economics, this is are extremely bad right now. This whole year could end up being one big crash into the ditch for folks selling in the retail space (ie. all of us)

Offline Alvina

• View Profile
      • Forever Young Recipes
    « Reply #24 on: May 24, 2017, 04:39:17 pm »
    Suddenly there is no sales and no KU. HELP !  :'(

KBoards.com

• Advertisement