Author Topic: Urban Fantasy Keywords  (Read 3473 times)  

Offline N. D. Iverson

• Canada
    • View Profile
    • Author Website
Urban Fantasy Keywords
« on: June 14, 2017, 11:48:09 pm »
I need some help and I've searched through the threads (yes, even Evenstar's monster post on keywords), but I can't seem to find the answer. What keywords do I use to get into the sub-categories in Urban Fantasy on Amazon? I used the keywords like vampire, shifters, witches, etc (as per the KDP keyword page for fantasy) and I still only landed in two categories:

Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Paranormal & Urban
Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Paranormal & Urban

What am I doing wrong? Thank you in advance for your reply.

Just call me the thread killer.
N. D. Iverson | Author Website

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Gentleman Zombie

• View Profile
    Re: Urban Fantasy Keywords
    « Reply #1 on: June 15, 2017, 12:01:41 am »
    If you contact Kdp support and ask nicely they will place your book in any category you request. As long as it's appropriate. I had the email address but I lost it. But I'm sure someone else on the boards will chime in to supply it.  There may even already be a previous thread about this issue with that information in it.

Online Nicholas Erik

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: June 15, 2017, 12:46:54 am »
    Nope, you're not doing anything wrong. The keywords are unfortunately just glitchy as hell and don't work 50%+ of the time to trigger inclusion in the sub-cats. Luckily, as Gentleman Zombie said, you can just email them and they'll add you. You don't need the email address; just email them through KDP Help (click the help link at the top of the page, then scroll down and on the lefthand side click the "contact us" yellow button.

Here's a basic template:

Hi,

Could you please place my book URBAN FANTASY BOOK (ASIN: XX) into the following categories:

Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Genetic Engineering

[category string 2]
    [category string 3]
    [category string 4]

Just copy and paste the exact category strings. You can find them at the bottom of the page of other Urban Fantasy books - e.g. this one, which has about 8 of them.

I used to request 2 categories at a time, which required 2 - 3 emails. But they'll do 4 - 6 at once, from what I've heard, so just email them what you want all at once.

Nick

Offline Not any more

• Baltimore, MD
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: June 15, 2017, 07:08:06 am »
    Go through the top 100 books in Fantasy and SF and look at the cats they're in. It's all over the place. Dark Fantasy is a Horror sub-cat. My Also Boughts include Fairy Tales, Metaphysical, Fantasy Adventure, Fantasy Thriller.

As of right now, my newest book shows up on at least four HNR lists. Worry more about your Also Boughts and use them in your AMS ads rather than worry about categories.
    This post remains on KBoards over my objections.

Offline N. D. Iverson

• Canada
      • View Profile
      • Author Website
    « Reply #4 on: June 15, 2017, 07:26:08 pm »
    Nope, you're not doing anything wrong. The keywords are unfortunately just glitchy as hell and don't work 50%+ of the time to trigger inclusion in the sub-cats. Luckily, as Gentleman Zombie said, you can just email them and they'll add you. You don't need the email address; just email them through KDP Help (click the help link at the top of the page, then scroll down and on the lefthand side click the "contact us" yellow button.

Here's a basic template:

Hi,

Could you please place my book URBAN FANTASY BOOK (ASIN: XX) into the following categories:

Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Genetic Engineering

[category string 2]
    [category string 3]
    [category string 4]

Just copy and paste the exact category strings. You can find them at the bottom of the page of other Urban Fantasy books - e.g. this one, which has about 8 of them.

I used to request 2 categories at a time, which required 2 - 3 emails. But they'll do 4 - 6 at once, from what I've heard, so just email them what you want all at once.

Nick

Thank you so much, Nick!

Offline N. D. Iverson

• Canada
      • View Profile
      • Author Website
    « Reply #5 on: June 15, 2017, 07:26:44 pm »
    Go through the top 100 books in Fantasy and SF and look at the cats they're in. It's all over the place. Dark Fantasy is a Horror sub-cat. My Also Boughts include Fairy Tales, Metaphysical, Fantasy Adventure, Fantasy Thriller.

As of right now, my newest book shows up on at least four HNR lists. Worry more about your Also Boughts and use them in your AMS ads rather than worry about categories.

Fair enough!

Offline Jim Johnson

• Alexandria, VA
    • Storyteller and Cat Minion
      • View Profile
      • Ineti Press
    « Reply #6 on: June 16, 2017, 06:54:15 am »
    How are you entering your keywords? Each field can contain 50 characters and can hold more than one keyword as long as you separate them by spaces (not commas).

I tweaked mine for my UF and got into these cats without contacting Amazon:

Look for similar items by category
    Books > Literature & Fiction > Mythology & Folk Tales
    Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Coming of Age
    Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > New Adult & College
    Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Mythology & Folk Tales
    Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Coming of Age
    Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Fairy Tales
    Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > LGBT
    Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Metaphysical & Visionary
    Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > New Adult & College
    Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Paranormal & Urban
    Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Superhero

Offline matthewsylvester

• Exeter, Devon, England
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: July 10, 2017, 03:01:13 am »
    How are you entering your keywords? Each field can contain 50 characters and can hold more than one keyword as long as you separate them by spaces (not commas).

I tweaked mine for my UF and got into these cats without contacting Amazon:

Look for similar items by category
    Books > Literature & Fiction > Mythology & Folk Tales
    Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Coming of Age
    Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > New Adult & College
    Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Mythology & Folk Tales
    Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Coming of Age
    Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Fairy Tales
    Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > LGBT
    Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Metaphysical & Visionary
    Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > New Adult & College
    Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Superhero

Are you able/willing to share the keywords you used? :)

Offline Jim Johnson

• Alexandria, VA
    • Storyteller and Cat Minion
      • View Profile
      • Ineti Press
    « Reply #8 on: July 10, 2017, 05:14:07 am »
    Are you able/willing to share the keywords you used? :)

Sure, happy to. I used a lot of the keywords on Amazon's lists to get into the subcats:

poltergeist ghost spirit
    coming of age college new adult lesbian
    myth greek ley magic fairy tale superhero
    metaphysical psychic women friends
    lgbt paranormal fantasy
    urban fantasy norse fate
    spiritual  noblebright

And after reviewing them, I see I can tweak a couple since it's not necessary to duplicate keywords. I've also not taken full advantage of the 50 characters, so need to work on that.

Offline matthewsylvester

• Exeter, Devon, England
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: July 10, 2017, 05:22:37 am »
    Thank you Jim, very insightful!

Sure, happy to. I used a lot of the keywords on Amazon's lists to get into the subcats:

poltergeist ghost spirit
    coming of age college new adult lesbian
    myth greek ley magic fairy tale superhero
    metaphysical psychic women friends
    lgbt paranormal fantasy
    urban fantasy norse fate
    spiritual  noblebright

And after reviewing them, I see I can tweak a couple since it's not necessary to duplicate keywords. I've also not taken full advantage of the 50 characters, so need to work on that.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement