Author Topic: Anyone use writing software?  (Read 2337 times)  

Offline PatriciaDreas

• View Profile
Re: Anyone use writing software?
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2017, 10:00:36 am »
After trying Scrivener I reverted to Google Docs, creating a file for each title with a page for the outline, another as a character worksheet and one more as a guiding synopsis that I'm still perfecting. I use a fresh doc for each chapter and paste it into the "master page" once edited. I decided on using Google Docs so I wouldn't be anchored to my desk.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Evenstar

• Here. Hare. Here.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #26 on: May 09, 2017, 10:18:32 am »
    There are features I use in Scrivener and a ton that I dont.

I like setting targets, both for chapter word count and for overall count. It's nice to see that climbing. I like the cork board and the way I can lay out my whole plot and then those notes appear for each relevant chapter so I can see them as I type. I like the characters sketch pages and the location sketch pages.

But do I have a clue how to use the rest of the features? NO. One day I'll try to learn.

Offline Flying Pizza Pie

• Keaau, HI
      • View Profile
      • Nevada Gaming History
    « Reply #27 on: May 09, 2017, 12:16:23 pm »
    Great responses, thanks for the input. I'm trying Quoll right now and have the Scrivner book to get a peek, then I'll decide whether I want to convert to Scrivner. Thanks again!

Al W Moe | Blog | Facebook | GoodReads

Offline CASD57

• Idaho
      • View Profile
      • Live The Dream
    « Reply #28 on: May 09, 2017, 04:37:17 pm »
    Great responses, thanks for the input. I'm trying Quoll right now and have the Scrivner book to get a peek, then I'll decide whether I want to convert to Scrivner. Thanks again!

He is coming out with 2.6 version any day....
    https://quollwriter.wordpress.com

Also I like having the last scene open as I write the new one..kind of helps me keep on track..  Quoll Writer doesn't actually do this but does give you tabs...
    With yWriter5 or 6 you can open two or more edit windows... at the same time..
    Scrivener you can do a split window...
    Bibisco you can't
    Writeway Pro you can't   but as said above it is FREE now...

I've tried many...many...many writing programs...
    I still come back to Scrivener... But I look for a reason...:)

C.A. Dayhoff | Current Projects

Offline Evenstar

• Here. Hare. Here.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #29 on: May 09, 2017, 04:39:03 pm »

The good thing about Scrivener is that if there is anything you want to do or can't work out then you can go to Youtube. There are tons of vids.

Offline Saboth

• View Profile
    « Reply #30 on: May 09, 2017, 04:59:01 pm »
    I use Scrivener as well. I used WordPerfect for a short period, and I think it works well for shorter stories. Scrivener is inexpensive, allows you to make tons of notes, do keyword searches, give your chapters descriptions and many other tools that can speed things up. You can also import your notes, character sheets, etc. into a new project (say Book 2 of your series). It's also nice being able to inherently export to formats like Epub and Mobi without a lot of extra work. It can be intimidating to learn (and I probably only know about 20% of what you can do with it), but it's been very useful.

Offline 75845

• View Profile
    « Reply #31 on: May 10, 2017, 09:07:05 am »
    Moving scenes around is drag and drop in Jutoh, which has a separate section in the project file called Scraps, which is where you put your research so it doesn't get counted in the word count. Jutoh is awkward with cloud work because just opening the file changes the modified date even if you alter nothing which can lead to the mistake of losing work if you have two computers accessing the file at once (easily done with a laptop). Jutoh also has no mobile version (although it does have Raspberry Pi).

Microsoft Word nowadays also allows for easy dragging the scenes around. Like Google Docs it uses one large file for the document (Jutoh breaks things into a series of small documents), and the navigation sidebar is automatically populated with any title assigned to a Heading style. Where Word excels (excuse the pun) is that a heading can be clicked at the arrow beside it in the text window and the text disappears leaving only the heading. In the Navigation Sidebar you can right click on the heading and choose the option Select Heading and Content. Doing so gives you a wordcount for that chapter to add to the total wordcount that always appears in the status bar. Word does not allow you to separate a research section out from the wordcount but does allow a link to OneNote.

OneNote is a good way of keeping research notes and the ability to export has improved in recent years. As Microsoft want you to do the main writing in Word rather than the free version of OneNote the latter does not include a wordcount, which was a pain when I wrote a novel in OneNote for my first successful NaNoWriMo.

Of course if you want retreival of a lot of data they you should consider learning SQL (its easy) and using the free SQLite. That allows you to pull information from different tables, which would allow you to quickly search across all books to see how many of your characters are called Kevin. An SQLite file is a local one for those concerned about cyber security. It is completely trustworthy as it lies behind most of the software you are already using (including Jutoh, Android, and iOS).

Offline TheNovel Factory

• The Novel Factory - a novel writing program
      • View Profile
      • http://www.novel-software.com
    « Reply #32 on: August 30, 2017, 03:22:23 am »
    Hello!

Just wanted to mention that the Novel Factory does come with a free trial (both the Windows desktop and online versions), so you can give it a go without any cost, to see if it works for you.

We put a big emphasis on intuitiveness when we created the program, we want people to be able to use to it to become more productive asap, rather than having to spend hours, days or even weeks watching tutorials and reading manuals.

The software has dedicated areas for keeping your characters, locations and manuscript, as well as notes and research. And it has graphs to track your progress towards your writing goals.

Also, we're constantly adding updates and improvements - often from direct requests from our users : )

I'd be happy to answer any specific questions you have.

The Novel Factory - Write faster, write better. http://www.novel-software.com

KBoards.com

• Advertisement