Author Topic: Engadget report on Alexa  (Read 544 times)  

Offline Mike D. aka jmiked

• Terra firma
    • View Profile
Engadget report on Alexa
« on: July 12, 2017, 09:14:30 pm »

Engadget is today reporting that Amazon is considering giving Alexa developers access to private transcript data of what you say to your Alexa devices.

Hmmm.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/07/12/amazon-developers-private-alexa-transcripts/
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 09:22:48 pm by Mike D. aka jmiked »

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline CegAbq

• Albuquerque, NM
      • View Profile
    Re: Engadget report on Alexa
    « Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 09:46:56 pm »
    Will be interesting to see how this develops. I would expect quite a bit of pushback from Alexa-device users.
    Carol in 'burque

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to Skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and shouting: Damn-What a ride!

Online Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
    • How could you not smile back at Bonnie?
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: July 13, 2017, 06:54:56 am »
    Doesn't worry me much.  In Amazon's very early days there was BIG concern by public about Amazon keeping records of purchases.  Horrors!  :o  Grocery store here was already doing that with the rewards card.  It's nice to be able to look up your purchases from "the beginning of time".  ;)

My bro beagle (1954-1966).  I still miss him big time.
    His last collar hangs on my bedpost.

Offline Mike D. aka jmiked

• Terra firma
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: July 13, 2017, 07:31:36 am »
    I'm not that worried about Amazon, I'm concerned that just anybody can get to be a developer and then have access to everyone's data. What's to keep the bad guys from doing this?

And it's not just asking Alexa what time it is, it's access to those intercom talks and conversations via the Show that are worrying. Are those included? I hope not, but we don't know.

If it happens, of course.

Offline Chad Winters

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: July 13, 2017, 05:18:59 pm »
    yeah I just bought 3 echos to use as intercoms on each level of the house, don't want that shared with everyone

Member since 10/28/2008 | (make your own reading bar)

Offline CegAbq

• Albuquerque, NM
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: July 13, 2017, 05:33:46 pm »
    I'm not that worried about Amazon, I'm concerned that just anybody can get to be a developer and then have access to everyone's data. What's to keep the bad guys from doing this?

Yep
    Carol in 'burque

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to Skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and shouting: Damn-What a ride!

Offline dbonline

• View Profile
      • Let's Talk Tablets
    « Reply #6 on: July 15, 2017, 03:27:34 pm »
    In my opinion it should be a matter of giving Alexa users the choice whether or not they consent to having such information disclosed to developers (aka total strangers) or not. Then there would be no uproar or cause for concern regarding privacy. These days though it seems privacy in this digital age we live in is a thing of the past.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement