Author Topic: Learn how to launch an effective book review campaign  (Read 2402 times)  

Offline jasonbladd

• View Profile
    • jasonbladd.com
Learn how to launch an effective book review campaign
« on: July 17, 2017, 06:49:36 PM »
***UPDATE***

FREE webinar registration is now open. Register here!
The LIVE events are over, but you can still watch a replay if you register.
Course registration is open until Saturday night only!

Looking for an alternative to using a book review service? This teaches you the skills you need to do it all on your own, if you're into that.

*** UPDATE***

Kboarders,
I'm totally beyond pumped to announce that the Book Review Banzai e-course is now in full swing.

The Book Review Banzai technique is getting some seriously good reviews and endorsements. But don't take my word for it.
If you're fed up with a low book review count and want to finally get your book the reviews and social proof it deserves, check out the link through the Kboard Yellow Pages.

My Service on the KBoards Yellow Pages

Catch ya on the boards! :)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 01:29:50 PM by jasonbladd »

Offline jasonbladd

• View Profile
    • jasonbladd.com
Re: Book Review Banzai E-course: REGISTRATION UNTIL MIDNIGHT SATURDAY!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2017, 04:53:05 PM »
Just letting y'all know that the course is currently open until midnight on Saturday! Hope to see you there!

Offline Doglover

• Huntingdon, United Kingdom
  • If you want real love, buy a dog.
    • View Profile
    • Margaret Brazear Author
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2017, 01:28:09 AM »
I'm probably being dim, but what exactly are you offering? It seems to be a course teaching people how to get reviews. I'm not sure how you can teach people that.

The past is another country; they do things differently there
Margaret Brazear | Website | Blog | Facebook | Readers Group | Newsletter

Online thesmallprint

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2017, 02:09:45 AM »
"I'm totally beyond pumped"

As an oldie I watch with interest the 'development' of our language. How far will hyperbole go in the next 10 years, I wonder? What happens when the likes of "totally and absolutely, awesomely, stratospherically beyond super-pumped about my ......." gets tame, as it will in about six weeks.

Offline MattHaggis

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2017, 03:17:00 AM »
Pass.

Offline jasonbladd

• View Profile
    • jasonbladd.com
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2017, 10:13:20 PM »
I'm probably being dim, but what exactly are you offering? It seems to be a course teaching people how to get reviews. I'm not sure how you can teach people that.

It can be done. And I've done it in the ebook, audiobook, and e-course. And that's exactly it--I'm teaching authors how increase their number of Amazon reviews. Legitimately and in compliance with all of Amazon's Terms of Service.

And I'm opening up the course again until midnight on Saturday August 12th :)

Links in my signature.

Offline jasonbladd

• View Profile
    • jasonbladd.com
Re: Book Review Banzai E-course: REGISTRATION UNTIL MIDNIGHT SUNDAY!!!
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2017, 10:53:04 AM »
Registration is open until midnight Sunday 20 August, 2017! Link is in my signature.

A recent email from a Book Review Banzai user:

"The self-published horror novel I used your technique on has since become a #1 Amazon Bestseller for its category, competing against titles by giants such as Stephen King, Clive Barker, and Lovecraft. Thanks for the advice and looking forward to your next installments."

Offline jasonbladd

• View Profile
    • jasonbladd.com
Re: Book Review Banzai E-course
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2017, 11:13:22 AM »
Registration is back open until midnight Saturday, 16 September 2017 ! :)

Links in my sig.

Offline jasonbladd

• View Profile
    • jasonbladd.com
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2017, 08:38:33 PM »
Registration is NOW OPEN until MIDNIGHT on Monday, 30 Oct 2017!

Join the hundreds of authors who've learned the secret to finally getting the Amazon reviews you deserve!

Link in my sig :)

Offline Doglover

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2017, 11:26:27 PM »
Registration is NOW OPEN until MIDNIGHT on Monday, 30 Oct 2017!

Join the hundreds of authors who've learned the secret to finally getting the Amazon reviews you deserve!

Link in my sig :)
I think, rather than keep posting that the course is open, it would be more helpful to read some reviews from people who have actually participated in the course and had some good results. Where will I find those?

I can only find one author on your website who has reviewed your service and she has just two books published. Both are ranked in the millions.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 01:22:36 AM by Doglover »

Offline jasonbladd

• View Profile
    • jasonbladd.com
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2017, 01:37:48 PM »
I think, rather than keep posting that the course is open, it would be more helpful to read some reviews from people who have actually participated in the course and had some good results. Where will I find those?

I can only find one author on your website who has reviewed your service and she has just two books published. Both are ranked in the millions.

Margaret, I have tons of testimonials about the ebook and the e-course on BookReviewBanzai.com.  Since the e-course is so new, many members are still in the process of executing the technique and I'm awaiting final results.

As for myself, I'm 2 for 2 as an unknown author on getting over 100 Amazon reviews during my book review campaigns.

The book is free on Amazon TODAY! :)  So feel free to check it out. Also, the I've slashed the prices on the e-course package this week. Bottom line it that for those who put in the effort, it works.

Offline CloudStrife

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2017, 02:05:20 PM »
The author of the book does have lots of reviews but the rank is not very good, 500,000s. I believe that's about two sales a week.

The sad reality, as I'm sure this course instructor has figured out, is that it's much more profitable to have a course than to sell an eBook. And it's much more profitable to sell information to writers on how to write, edit, make covers, sell books, get reviews, etc., than it is to actually write the books in the first place.

Something I wonder about with getting reviews is what's the point. My experience, and what I've seen elsewhere is that when you focus on getting reviews, sales don't magically follow. The great selling books are the ones that naturally get reviews. If your book isn't selling, you can try to force reviews and cross your fingers and hope to get a Bookbub based on those reviews, but personally I've learned how to get reviews (scrape emails from Amazon and beg frequent reviewers to review your own book) and I just stopped caring. It just got sad to see the review counts go up and up, even many positive reviews, yet seeing basically no impact on sales.

I find it hard to believe my effort and time looking for reviews is better spent on that instead of just writing the next book.

I am side-tracking this thread. But I'm just trying to get people to question how much certain things we think matter, actually matter.

People act like if they have a book with 100+ reviews it will sell and become a big deal. It just doesn't happen.

Sorry vent like this, I just feel sick sometimes because there are a million author services out there, sold by authors who couldn't hack it themselves usually, so the next best option was to sell services to novice authors who don't know any better.

Offline crow.bar.beer

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2017, 02:05:57 PM »

# of reviews ≠ sales rank. ;)

Offline jasonbladd

• View Profile
    • jasonbladd.com
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2017, 01:21:16 PM »
The author of the book does have lots of reviews but the rank is not very good, 500,000s. I believe that's about two sales a week.

The sad reality, as I'm sure this course instructor has figured out, is that it's much more profitable to have a course than to sell an eBook. And it's much more profitable to sell information to writers on how to write, edit, make covers, sell books, get reviews, etc., than it is to actually write the books in the first place.

Something I wonder about with getting reviews is what's the point. My experience, and what I've seen elsewhere is that when you focus on getting reviews, sales don't magically follow. The great selling books are the ones that naturally get reviews. If your book isn't selling, you can try to force reviews and cross your fingers and hope to get a Bookbub based on those reviews, but personally I've learned how to get reviews (scrape emails from Amazon and beg frequent reviewers to review your own book) and I just stopped caring. It just got sad to see the review counts go up and up, even many positive reviews, yet seeing basically no impact on sales.

I find it hard to believe my effort and time looking for reviews is better spent on that instead of just writing the next book.

I am side-tracking this thread. But I'm just trying to get people to question how much certain things we think matter, actually matter.

People act like if they have a book with 100+ reviews it will sell and become a big deal. It just doesn't happen.

Sorry vent like this, I just feel sick sometimes because there are a million author services out there, sold by authors who couldn't hack it themselves usually, so the next best option was to sell services to novice authors who don't know any better.

All great discussion points here. In the end social proof is one of the many factors you have to get right in order to be successful. I just found a way that works very well and can repeated for consistent results. And the other thing I emphasize is that the technique actually applies to more than getting book reviews--it's about finding and connecting with people in a way that gets results.

While we're questioning things, does anyone's writing really matter? Just kidding. I thought we might be getting all philosophical. If you're asking the deep questions, you should check out my other book on how I arrived at a Christian worldview. Unless you think I'm just trying to plug it. Then don't check it out.

By the way, the course has Pay-What-You-Want and 40% from now until Sunday at midnight. Happy Thanksgiving!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 12:30:38 PM by jasonbladd »

Offline Doglover

• View Profile
Re: Learn how to launch an effective book review campaign
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2017, 12:59:05 AM »
Can I just say, until I started publishing, I never noticed a review of any kind, especially not for books. It was a joy to me that I could at last post a bad review on a couple of the bestselling books that messed up the facts.

Online Evenstar

• UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2017, 01:42:17 AM »
Hello!
You're welcome to promote your business and website here in the Writers' Cafe.

Now that you have an official thread, you'll want to add your listing to our Yellow Pages, found here: http://www.kboards.com/yp/. The listing is free to KB members and is completely self-service; you can add and edit your listing from the page. More information on our Yellow Pages listing can be found here.

In your thread here, we ask that the same basic rules be followed as we have for authors in the Book Bazaar: you may have this one thread about your service and must post to it rather than start a new thread each time. New threads about the service will be removed. Please bookmark this thread so that you can find it again when you want to post. You may not make back-to-back posts to the thread within seven days. If someone responds (as I'm doing with this post), you may reply to them, but otherwise you must wait seven days. Please note that very short or (one- or two-word) posts with no meaningful information are discouraged and may be deleted at the moderators' discretion. Lastly, your posts and images will need to meet our "forum decorum" guidelines, which is the case for every member.

Note that members are allowed to provide civil and honest feedback about your service in this thread. This feedback may include criticisms as well as kudos. You may respond in a civil manner. Members may also ask questions -- about how the service works, for example, or what they will get for their money, or whether your service adheres to Amazon's terms of service.

Disputes between you and clients should be handled off-site.

Thanks,
Evenstar
KBoards Moderator

(Note that this welcome does not constitute an endorsement or vetting of a service by KBoards. Members should do due diligence when considering using a service.)

Offline horst5

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2017, 08:10:22 AM »
Hello CloudStrive,
your comments are right on target.
Happy Thanksgiving to all!
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 08:12:45 AM by horst5 »

Offline jasonbladd

• View Profile
    • jasonbladd.com
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2017, 12:30:00 PM »
Hello!
You're welcome to promote your business and website here in the Writers' Cafe.

Now that you have an official thread, you'll want to add your listing to our Yellow Pages, found here: http://www.kboards.com/yp/. The listing is free to KB members and is completely self-service; you can add and edit your listing from the page. More information on our Yellow Pages listing can be found here.

In your thread here, we ask that the same basic rules be followed as we have for authors in the Book Bazaar: you may have this one thread about your service and must post to it rather than start a new thread each time. New threads about the service will be removed. Please bookmark this thread so that you can find it again when you want to post. You may not make back-to-back posts to the thread within seven days. If someone responds (as I'm doing with this post), you may reply to them, but otherwise you must wait seven days. Please note that very short or (one- or two-word) posts with no meaningful information are discouraged and may be deleted at the moderators' discretion. Lastly, your posts and images will need to meet our "forum decorum" guidelines, which is the case for every member.

Note that members are allowed to provide civil and honest feedback about your service in this thread. This feedback may include criticisms as well as kudos. You may respond in a civil manner. Members may also ask questions -- about how the service works, for example, or what they will get for their money, or whether your service adheres to Amazon's terms of service.

Disputes between you and clients should be handled off-site.

Thanks,
Evenstar
KBoards Moderator

(Note that this welcome does not constitute an endorsement or vetting of a service by KBoards. Members should do due diligence when considering using a service.)

thanks, Evenstar.

Offline jasonbladd

• View Profile
    • jasonbladd.com
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2017, 06:06:53 PM »
Hey guys, since moving to a new platform, I have more flexibility with what I can do with the course.

So now I have a Free Trial available for the e-course which includes the first three videos and the entire Audiobook free!  Feel free to check it out...for free! :) (Book Review Banzai link in my sig)

Offline jasonbladd

• View Profile
    • jasonbladd.com
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2018, 12:41:54 PM »
registration for the e-course is open until midnight tonight! Link in my sig

Offline jasonbladd

• View Profile
    • jasonbladd.com
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2018, 10:37:17 AM »
FREE ebook offer today through 7 March 2018! Get it here!

Offline mike h

• View Profile
    • Herman_Santangelo
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2018, 11:11:28 AM »
After reading the negative comments regarding getting reviews, I have to counter with what I am finding as a first time author. Many of the promotional sites and places I want to have access to gain visibility require that the author have a minimum of reviews. And some want them to be mostly positive. A lack of reviews means you don't get in the door with those places.
Doesn't matter if reviews translate into sales at this point, it does matter if they translate into gaining notoriety and access.
So, for someone like me, reviews are important.
And I'm one of those people who look at the negative reviews first. Some of them make me want to read the book more than the positive reviews that I often ignore.

Offline jasonbladd

• View Profile
    • jasonbladd.com
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2018, 02:44:38 PM »
After reading the negative comments regarding getting reviews, I have to counter with what I am finding as a first time author. Many of the promotional sites and places I want to have access to gain visibility require that the author have a minimum of reviews. And some want them to be mostly positive. A lack of reviews means you don't get in the door with those places.
Doesn't matter if reviews translate into sales at this point, it does matter if they translate into gaining notoriety and access.
And I'm one of those people who look at the negative reviews first. Some of them make me want to read the book more than the positive reviews that I often ignore.

great points, Mike. Thanks!

Offline Doglover

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2018, 10:38:38 PM »
It is this insistence on lots of good reviews that encourages newcomers to buy reviews or get all the friends to give them 5 star reviews. Readers can't always tell fake reviews when they see them. There are a lot of sites that do not require a minimum number of reviews, and I believe even Bookbub aren't that bothered. It seems that there are more and more promotion sites sprouting up like weeds, to the point that subscribers no longer want to open them. I know I don't.

If you want to get sales, I would recommend AMS sponsored ads. They work for me much better than anything else.

Offline jasonbladd

• View Profile
    • jasonbladd.com
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2018, 12:24:11 PM »
It is this insistence on lots of good reviews that encourages newcomers to buy reviews or get all the friends to give them 5 star reviews. Readers can't always tell fake reviews when they see them. There are a lot of sites that do not require a minimum number of reviews, and I believe even Bookbub aren't that bothered. It seems that there are more and more promotion sites sprouting up like weeds, to the point that subscribers no longer want to open them. I know I don't.

If you want to get sales, I would recommend AMS sponsored ads. They work for me much better than anything else.

I look at the books on BookBub from time to time. Out of 100 of the books I looked at within the last month, 96% had over 100 Amazon reviews. And I think 1 % had under 70 reviews. You can find books on BookBub with under 70 reviews, but 9 times out of 10, they are authors with OTHER books with over 70-100 reviews. What that tells me is that once you've gotten that magic BookBub slot, they more likely to take you on again as a customer. But to get your foot in the door, you seem to need a lot of reviews. Just what I've determined by my own research, for what it's worth :)

Kboards challenge! Find me a book on BookBub with less than 50 reviews from an author that has only published one book on Amazon! I have a feeling they might exist, but might be akin to a Unicorn.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 04:10:08 PM by jasonbladd »