Author Topic: Any Romance Authors Here Using AMS?  (Read 1666 times)  

Offline TeiranSmith

• Grand Haven, MI
    • View Profile
    • Teiran Smith
Any Romance Authors Here Using AMS?
« on: July 18, 2017, 06:15:32 am »
I write in the contemporary romance genre. I am trying out AMS ads for the first time today. I was wondering if other romance authors would share their experience using the ads.

Would you mind sharing your experience? What type of ad did you use? Sponsored or product placement? Automatic targeting or manual/keyword? What CPC works best for you? How did you come up with a list of keywords (I struggle with thinking up keywords. I'm amazed I came up with 59!)

I am trying the keyword ads for sponsored products. I have 59 keywords that I am trying out and will tweak as I go along to find what works. I am starting with a low bid of $.03 per keyword with a $1.00 daily limit. If I need to increase bid amount, I will, but I don't want to start out breaking the bank until I know what does and doesn't work.

Teiran Smith | Website | facebook | Twitter

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline TeiranSmith

• Grand Haven, MI
      • View Profile
      • Teiran Smith
    Re: Any Romance Authors Here Using AMS?
    « Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 07:01:34 am »
    I suggest you read the (quite long) thread "AMS ads learning." It contains a ton of information and speculation about these ads. No need to repeat it at length here. However: Most people report that sponsored product ads with manual keywords work best, and that romance bidding is--unfortunately--very competitive.
    I've read the post. I just wondered specifically about romance authors experience as different genres can provide different results when it comes to advertising.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Offline JaclynDolamore

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 07:02:40 am »
    For keywords, use other books and authors in your genre. Your also-boughts are a good place to start.

.03 is SUPER low. You will probably get very few impressions especially in a crowded genre like contemporary romance. I usually do .12 if I really just want to test but even then you might not get much. Note, your actual average big will end up lower than the bid you put in. Like, most of my ads are at .25 but my average cost per click is about .15.

(I write fantasy romance so different category, but...I am sure the same basic rules apply.)

Jaclyn Dolamore | Blog | Facebook | Twitter

Offline TeiranSmith

• Grand Haven, MI
      • View Profile
      • Teiran Smith
    « Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 07:10:22 am »
    For keywords, use other books and authors in your genre. Your also-boughts are a good place to start.

.03 is SUPER low. You will probably get very few impressions especially in a crowded genre like contemporary romance. I usually do .12 if I really just want to test but even then you might not get much. Note, your actual average big will end up lower than the bid you put in. Like, most of my ads are at .25 but my average cost per click is about .15.

(I write fantasy romance so different category, but...I am sure the same basic rules apply.)
    Thank You! I never considered the also boughts, though I have listed similar authors and books. I will take a look at my also boughts.

I will reevaluate my bid amounts as well. But at .25 cpc I would reach my daily limit fast. That concerns me. But if the averages are lower, I might consider it. I'm trying to balance the budget. Get more bang for the buck, so to speak.

Thanks again for the info. It is helpful. [emoji2]

Offline Allyson J.

• South Carolina, USA
    • Writer. Traveler. Adventurer
      • View Profile
      • AllysonJeleyne.com
    « Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 07:15:42 am »
    My bids are .25 and I think that's pretty low for the romance genre. I run ads for my first in series, permafree, wide books with a $5/day budget. I consistently max out that budget. Ams emailed me yesterday suggesting I bump the budget to $15. Sadly, I don't make enough profit from the follow up sales to support that.

Be aware that ams ads can be a huge time & money pit. If you have a long series or big backlist, they can be very profitable. I think for first page results on the carousel, you need bids around 25 - 50c or more. But that's just my limited experience, of course.

Victorian, Edwardian, and Jazz Age romance

Offline Elizabeth Barone

• R.I.P. KBOARDS
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: July 18, 2017, 07:30:28 am »
    Hey Teiran! Great idea for a thread. It's always good to compare notes.

When I run AMS ads, I choose Sponsored and go with AMS's estimated bid. I read somewhere that it's better to let it estimate for you rather than picking your own. Low bids can stretch a small budget but higher bids seem to get you more impressions.

When picking keywords, I use genre, potential search phrases people might use to find my book, and similar authors. It never even dawned on me to include also boughts. 😳

I haven't had great results with AMS yet, but it's probably because my budget is tiny. I've decided to hold off for now and try again with my new series and a bigger budget.
    . . .

Offline Jena H

• North Carolina
    • Desperate character
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: July 18, 2017, 07:30:36 am »
    I agree that .03 seems awfully low.  But don't forget that you can have some keywords at .03, and other keywords at other bid prices.  (I usually bid higher for what I think will be more popular keywords, and lower bids for other words.)

Also, this may sound strange, but don't forget to use keywords tied to other types of media.  For example, if you think your book has some similarities to XXX movie, or your FMC is similar to a character on Grey's Anatomy or The Good Fight or whatever, don't hesitate to use the movie or TV show title (or characters) as keywords.
    Jena

Offline TeiranSmith

• Grand Haven, MI
      • View Profile
      • Teiran Smith
    « Reply #7 on: July 18, 2017, 07:39:01 am »

Also, this may sound strange, but don't forget to use keywords tied to other types of media.  For example, if you think your book has some similarities to XXX movie, or your FMC is similar to a character on Grey's Anatomy or The Good Fight or whatever, don't hesitate to use the movie or TV show title (or characters) as keywords.

Great ideas!!!! I hadn't thought about that. I will definitely give it a shot.

Offline TeiranSmith

• Grand Haven, MI
      • View Profile
      • Teiran Smith
    « Reply #8 on: July 18, 2017, 07:40:12 am »
    Hey Teiran! Great idea for a thread. It's always good to compare notes.

When I run AMS ads, I choose Sponsored and go with AMS's estimated bid. I read somewhere that it's better to let it estimate for you rather than picking your own. Low bids can stretch a small budget but higher bids seem to get you more impressions.

When picking keywords, I use genre, potential search phrases people might use to find my book, and similar authors. It never even dawned on me to include also boughts. 😳

I haven't had great results with AMS yet, but it's probably because my budget is tiny. I've decided to hold off for now and try again with my new series and a bigger budget.
    Thank you for the feedback. I will definitely change my bidding strategy.

Offline Anarchist

• Methodological individualist
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: July 18, 2017, 07:48:53 am »
    I am starting with a low bid of $.03 per keyword with a $1.00 daily limit. If I need to increase bid amount, I will, but I don't want to start out breaking the bank until I know what does and doesn't work.

I take the opposite approach. I bid high during launch to obtain data (which KWs and copy work). Then, after a couple weeks, I start to gradually whittle down my bids based on ACoS.

During my last launch, I had close to 2,500 clicks within a week. That gave me a lot of early data, which shortened the test phase. The resulting sales also cemented my book in the top ad positions for books in my space. My book remains in those positions despite heavy whittling of my bids.

I'm not saying you should take this approach. It requires capital and the willingness to risk it. It's just what I do.
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat." - Sun Tzu

Offline daveconifer

• Atlantic City
      • View Profile
      • DaveConifer.com
    « Reply #10 on: July 18, 2017, 07:49:58 am »
    Just to add to the pool of knowledge, fellow KindleBoards member Rick Gualtieri has an informative post about this on his YouTube Channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HbasBBQ7o8

Offline TeiranSmith

• Grand Haven, MI
      • View Profile
      • Teiran Smith
    « Reply #11 on: July 18, 2017, 09:52:20 am »
    My romance keywords that deliver the most sales are bid at $0.46 and $0.51 and they win their spots at a low of $0.23 and a high of $0.33. That's to keep them on page 1 of any carousel and on page 1 of the in-line ads.

Bids at $0.25 often win the auction at $0.15, but those ones usually sell only one or two copies. While they may possibly generate page reads (not reported on AMS), I consider those keywords losers and after an arbitrary period of time I reduce my bids on those words to under ten cents each. I don't kill them if they've earned me any money. Ad keywords that deliver neither impressions nor clicks nor sales are ripe for killing. Ads with impressions and clicks but no sales are iffy. Did they generate page reads? No sure way of knowing.
    This is very helpful info. Thank you for sharing.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement