Author Topic: Back matter  (Read 775 times)  

Offline Herefortheride

• Chengdu
  • Loving every minute
    • View Profile
Back matter
« on: July 28, 2017, 07:15:32 am »
Hey does anyone have a good example of backmatter that links to book one in your book two?

What's a good way for me to use a page to show people book one and vice versa add my book two? Linking examples is fine.  :D

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline notjohn

• View Profile
      • Notjohn's Self-Publishing Guide
    Re: Back matter
    « Reply #1 on: July 28, 2017, 08:30:38 am »
    My back matter consists of the copyright page, which also includes a brief about-the-author sketch. Following that is the cover of the book I am plugging. (I don't do series, so this is a related book, not the first or next volume of a series.) Following that is about a one-page blurb, with a link to the book on my website (where there are further links to the paperback and to the epub/Kindle sales outlets.)
    Notjohn's Guide to E-Book & Print Formatting: http://viewbook.at/notjohn

The blog: http://notjohnkdp.blogspot.com

Offline NeilMosspark

• Building a universe
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 08:43:38 am »
    My upcoming Thorne Inc. Will be linking to the series page on amazon. If i choose to go wide I will be linking to my own webpage.
    The benefit of linking to your own webpage is that you can gather metrics on read throughs.

The problem I find is asking the reader to either click on my series, or the newsletter opt in. Your only going to get one click from the reader.

Neil Mosspark | Website | Twitter Feed | Facebook Page

Offline josielitton

• View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: July 28, 2017, 08:49:41 am »
    I've been writing series so my back matter directs the reader right on to the next story with a peppy line about how great it is. :)  Social media follows, then a brief excerpt or two and finally the copyright page.  BTW, because I want to lead the reader directly into the next book in the series, I start the back matter at the end of the last chapter without a page break.  No extra click on the Kindle is required to see it.

Online Anarchist

• Methodological individualist
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: July 28, 2017, 08:52:13 am »
    Perhaps not exactly what you're looking for, but these posts might prove helpful, if only to give you ideas...

https://insights.bookbub.com/promoting-a-sequel-in-a-books-back-matter-with-examples/

https://insights.bookbub.com/how-to-cross-promote-your-books-in-the-back-matter/
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat." - Sun Tzu

Offline josielitton

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: July 28, 2017, 09:02:33 am »

Offline Marti talbott

• Marti Talbott
      • View Profile
      • Marti Talbott's Books
    « Reply #6 on: July 28, 2017, 09:17:19 am »
    My back matter consists of the copyright page, which also includes a brief about-the-author sketch. Following that is the cover of the book I am plugging. (I don't do series, so this is a related book, not the first or next volume of a series.) Following that is about a one-page blurb, with a link to the book on my website (where there are further links to the paperback and to the epub/Kindle sales outlets.)

All I have to say is that I'm NOT JOHN! Just kidding.

Seriously, when you only have one or two books it's easy, but when you have 44 and have to keep updating the back matter, it's a real pain. As well, getting people to your website so they can discover more books is hard too. So I use the paragraphs  below plus a link to the next book in the series. All the links go to my website and traffic has greatly increased since I did this. (The links don't show here)

"To discover free Marti Talbott books and more historical novels filled with castles and kings, love and war, triumph and tribulation - click here.

Follow Clan MacGreagor through multiple generations, beginning with The Viking where it all began, The Highlanders and their struggle to survive, Marblestone Mansion and the duke who simply could not get rid of his scandalous duchess, and still more historical stories in The Lost MacGreagor Books. Then check out Martis contemporary romance/mysteries in Missing Heiress, Greed and a Mistress, The Dead Letters, and The Locked Room. Other books include the Carson Series, Leanna, (a short story), and Seattle Quake 9.2.

Find direct links to your next Marti Talbott novel at your favorite bookseller here.
    See what Marti is working on next and sign up to be notified when it is released.
    « Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 09:22:10 am by Martitalbott »
    Author of over 50 novels   www.martitalbott.com

Offline Herefortheride

• Chengdu
    • Loving every minute
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: July 28, 2017, 11:23:44 am »
    Is it useful to have a link from book two to book one?

Some people might come across book two (or it's being promoted, etc).

KBoards.com

• Advertisement