Author Topic: Audiobook refunds (through ACX)  (Read 670 times)  

Offline erikhanberg

• Tacoma, WA
  • Author, Parks Commissioner
    • View Profile
Audiobook refunds (through ACX)
« on: August 02, 2017, 09:12:40 am »
Over the past couple weeks I've seen a handful of Audiobook refundsthis almost never happened before that I can remember. Has anyone else seen this recently? Did something change in Audible that makes it easier for people to return an audiobook?

Curious if it's just me!

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline GeneDoucette

• View Profile
      • Gene Doucette's Blog
    Re: Audiobook refunds (through ACX)
    « Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 09:45:19 am »
    I always see a lot of returns toward the end of months. The end of July was larger than usual, but not unexpected. I just rolled out five audiobook novellas and a sixth that was an anthology of them. If someone's not paying attention they might not realize these are the same books presented in two different ways. This does bump returns a little.

Offline erikhanberg

• Tacoma, WA
    • Author, Parks Commissioner
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: August 25, 2017, 11:03:51 pm »
    Really late to respond to this but I'm curious how your novellas do in audio. I'm working on a 35 page story and wondered if it was too short for audio. Any thoughts you have about short audio form would be appreciated!

Offline Mark E. Cooper

• Essex, England
      • View Profile
      • Impulse Books UK
    « Reply #3 on: August 25, 2017, 11:12:05 pm »
    I very rarely see refunds thankfully. When they do happen, it's around the start of a new month as if people want to get their credit back and spend it again rather than buy a bigger subscription.

Offline GeneDoucette

• View Profile
      • Gene Doucette's Blog
    « Reply #4 on: August 26, 2017, 05:15:17 am »
    Really late to respond to this but I'm curious how your novellas do in audio. I'm working on a 35 page story and wondered if it was too short for audio. Any thoughts you have about short audio form would be appreciated!

It's hard to judge their success in a vacuum, because the anthology is out there. This month, for the five books that are also bound in the anthology, the download totals are 2, 2, 2, 4, 4. The anthology has been downloaded 38 times. If it helps any, there's a slightly longer standalone novella that belongs in the same universe as the anthology books (the narrator is different tho) but isn't in the anthology. It's had 17 downloads so far.

I'm of two minds on this. On the one hand, i think if it's within your means, you should be providing readers with as many access points to your work as possible. That's mostly an argument for being wide, but it applies to audio too. On the other hand, I think longer works are rewarded on Audible, which was why the individual novellas weren't as important to me as the anthology. Audible subscribers get one credit a month for any download. The most bang-for-the-buck is in the longer books.

Offline David VanDyke

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: August 26, 2017, 08:55:04 am »
    I suspect the whispersync price increase shocked a lot of people, and a certain percentage of them want their $7.49 back to spend again. They wouldn't have bothered for $1.99.

I personally haven't seen an increase in returns, so I have no additional data.

Offline Gertie Kindle

• View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: August 26, 2017, 09:45:14 am »
    I got a return last month which was the first in a long time. It was for a book that I hadn't sold in a while so I checked Audible's return policy. Wow! They have 365 days from the date of purchase to return a book, no questions asked.

Offline Greg Banks

• GA
    • Also known by the pseudonym "Drew Griot".
      • View Profile
      • The Digital Griot
    « Reply #7 on: August 26, 2017, 11:31:56 am »
    I got a return last month which was the first in a long time. It was for a book that I hadn't sold in a while so I checked Audible's return policy. Wow! They have 365 days from the date of purchase to return a book, no questions asked.

That's an oddly long return period.
    Free content:
         Paid content:
    My Websites:
    WebsiteBlog | TwitterFacebook | Art Portfolio

KBoards.com

• Advertisement