Author Topic: Take KINDLE with you when you vote: Lines are anticipated to be very long.  (Read 4683 times)  

Offline sjc

• (Member 153)
    • View Profile
Kindle is always with me; so I don't have to worry.  I no longer mind long waits with Kindle by my side.  Always plenty to read.
Fight the Battle-Win the War

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline RovingSoul

• Richland, WA
    • The names Kat. Kitty Kat. Not really. Just Kat.
      • View Profile
      • Facebook Profile
    Re: Take KINDLE with you when you vote: Lines are anticipated to be very long.
    « Reply #1 on: November 01, 2008, 11:21:30 pm »
    I voted with a mail in ballot. I don't really understand why anyone would go stand in a line when they could just mail it from the comfort of their home. Part of the experience? ???
    A prayer for the wild at heart, kept in cages.

Offline Teninx

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008, 11:45:11 pm »
    Kat, the absentee ballot requirements vary from state to state. Some states, like NH, require those who apply for absentee status to swear that they will be away on election day, or have a disability that prevents attendance at the polls. Others allow any registered voter to mail it in. And still other states allow voting to take place in advance of the mandated election day.

It's one of the quirks of our system that all elections, even those for federal office, are supervised and conducted by the several states, and not the federal government.

Offline RovingSoul

• Richland, WA
      • View Profile
      • Facebook Profile
    « Reply #3 on: November 01, 2008, 11:49:42 pm »
    Teninx- Hmm. My family has always had absentee ballots, probably because we're always absent from at least one of the other states we've lived in. Lol.

Offline happypuppy007

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: November 02, 2008, 01:42:34 am »
    I don't qualify for absentee voting but my mom, due to her age was able to vote by mail.  Here in Texas we had 2 weeks of early voting so I went a week ago and only waited in line maybe 20 minutes.  The kept saying you had to turn your cell phone off or put it on vibrate.  I wonder if they would say anything about having a Kindle since it has the whispernet like a cell phone (not that they would know it) but they were really admamant about turning off cell phones.  I wasn't really sure why.

LuckyRainbow

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2008, 02:51:32 am »
    Here in Arkansas, early voting has mostly replaced absentee ballots which are only for those who will not be in their precinct on election day. Anyone can early vote and reports are that it has be crazy busy at those polls with up to 2 hr. waits. I decided that if I had to wait 2 hrs. in line it might as well be on election day.
    « Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 05:06:24 am by LuckyRainbow »

Offline Leslie

• Member 24!
    • Global Moderator
    • Maine, USA
    • Kindle Paperwhite for Dummies available now!
      • View Profile
      • Maine Desk
    « Reply #6 on: November 02, 2008, 03:15:26 am »
    I voted on October 15th and didn't need my Kindle because there wasn't a line! For the past few years I've had what I call "my personal election day." Once I've decided on candidates and issues, I go and vote. I love early voting.

They estimate that one-quarter of the ballots cast this year will be by early voting.

As Teninx noted, the laws vary from state to state. Thirty-four states have early voting options of some sort.

L

Leslie Nicoll

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
    • Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
    • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey.
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #7 on: November 02, 2008, 04:41:22 am »
    Great tip!  I haven't gotten used to carrying the Kindle with me everywhere, so I might not have taken it with me.  Thanks!!!  BTW, I realized I need to start carrying a slightly larger purse so I CAN take Eleanor with me everywhere.

The first full time job I had was at the Pentagon (many, many years ago).  (I actually worked in the exactly location where the plane hit the Pentagon.)  I used to walk the miles and miles of corriders delivering documents and would read as I walked.  It would have been so much easier with a Kindle!!!

Betsy
    Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
    Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX    KB Member #72
    Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: November 02, 2008, 05:32:40 am »
    HappyPuppy:  I expect the cell phone rule was just because they didn't want to hear all the ringing.  If it was an interference problem, just putting it on vibrate wouldn't cut it.  I'm sure Kindle is fine, with or without Whispernet on.

Betsy, I work in the Pentagon!  Do income taxes for H&R Block at the office they have there every spring.  Every year it's up in the air as to whether they'll have us back, but our clients LOVE the convenience.  The building is very different now from when you worked there:  all the renovated sections are much brighter and airier than they used to be.  It's actually nice!

Ann
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Linda Cannon-Mott

• Assignment #118
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: November 02, 2008, 06:17:03 am »
    I take Ruby everywhere I go. Hi Betsy, many of us have had to buy new purses to accomadate our Kindles.  ;)
    There's an entire thread on Amazon about purses for Kindles. I got the Lightwedge cover and put my Kindle in the purse I'm using at the time. If you don't want to spend a lot of money I love browsing Thrift sotres, Goodwill and Salvation Army. Enjoy the thrill of the hunt and have found some great treasures in there.

Linda

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
    • Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
    • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey.
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #10 on: November 02, 2008, 06:22:55 am »
    I'm thinking of making a larger purse...but right now I"m working on a Kindle Cover Cover (covering my stock cover with something more fun).

My mom worked at the Pentagon when it was being built--she was a government girl, came down here in 1943.  I'm sure she wouldn't recognize it!  I actually liked working there--the lighting didn't bother me; the corridors that would suddenly end with no way to go but backtrack did!  When you're walking miles in heels (vanity, thy name is woman), wasted steps are a killer.  (Walking the outermost ring of the Pentagon, E ring, is a mile loop, BTW).

Eleanor the Kindle would have been handy there...but she wouldn't have kept me from running into people!

Betsy
    Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
    Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX    KB Member #72
    Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline Teninx

• View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: November 02, 2008, 06:24:42 am »
    Pentagon Trivia: When the Pentagon was built, it was the world's largest office building. It also had twice the number of restrooms as would be standard for a building of that size and occupancy. Anyone know why?

Offline TheJohnNewton

• View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: November 02, 2008, 06:58:40 am »
    I vote from my couch. 

Teninx, It's due to a strange side effect of Pentagon coffee?

Offline Teninx

• View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: November 02, 2008, 07:08:47 am »
    The coffee sure could be a contributing factor! But the disproportionate restroom facilities were caused by two factors: The military provides seperate latrines for officers and enlisted men. And, at the time the Pentagon was built, the military was segregated. White personnel and black personnel used seperate facilities.

Offline Leslie

• Member 24!
    • Global Moderator
    • Maine, USA
    • Kindle Paperwhite for Dummies available now!
      • View Profile
      • Maine Desk
    « Reply #14 on: November 02, 2008, 07:12:51 am »
    The coffee sure could be a contributing factor! But the disproportionate restroom facilities were caused by two factors: The military provides seperate latrines for officers and enlisted men. And, at the time the Pentagon was built, the military was segregated. White personnel and black personnel used seperate facilities.

Wow, that is good trivia. Thanks, T! When was the Pentagon built, anyway?

L

Leslie Nicoll

Offline Teninx

• View Profile
    « Reply #15 on: November 02, 2008, 07:17:39 am »
    The Pentagon construction began on Sept 11 (!) 1941 and was completed Jan. 1943.

Ethan

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2008, 07:27:51 am »
    Interesting.
    More trivia - did you know that mass transit via buses was significantly delayed in coming to Long Island because Robert Moses intentionally designed the thruway overpasses to be a certain height and which was several inches lower than the height of a bus which would keep the riff-raff from the inner city from coming out to the burbs on a weekend?

Offline sjc

• (Member 153)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: November 02, 2008, 08:06:28 am »
    Trivia contributors: very interesting.  I've always been intrigued by the pentagon, the oval office...etc.  I loved the famous photo of young JFK Jr playing under his father's desk.

Ethan:  I have to laugh; speaking of things being a certain height... We had a birthday party to attend last night.  There were people there that we haven't seen in quite a while.  They were all gushing about my son's height and how tall he's gotten. He kept muttering yeah I'm tall enough, and making different comments basically stating that he wants to stop growing. 

I thought he was 6'2" but there was another guy there who stood at 6' 3" and when the two stood back to back, it appeared that my son had a slight edge.

He kept replying yeah, I kinda want to stop growing now.  The other guy's wife said, Why?...don't you like being nice and tall?  He said yeah, I do, but one more inch and I'm booted off the Superman roller-coaster ride at Six Flags.  We all laughed. 

I looked it up this morning and sure enough:  Height requirement: Must be at least 54 inches and less than 76 inches tall.  Guess to a kid that's the end of the world... Ahh to be that young again and to have that be life's biggest problem...lol.
    « Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 08:16:20 am by sjc »

Offline fred3

• View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: November 02, 2008, 08:41:48 am »
    Think absentee ballot.  I voted weeks ago, at home.  8)

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #19 on: November 02, 2008, 09:04:08 am »
    Everything you ever wanted to know about the Pentagon:

http://pentagon.afis.osd.mil/

Ann
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline sjc

• (Member 153)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #20 on: November 02, 2008, 09:06:15 am »
    Ann:  Thanks great site; I browsed quickly will go back and take an in-depth look.  Thanks for sharing.

Offline RovingSoul

• Richland, WA
      • View Profile
      • Facebook Profile
    « Reply #21 on: November 02, 2008, 01:06:56 pm »
    Trivia contributors: very interesting.  I've always been intrigued by the pentagon, the oval office...etc.  I loved the famous photo of young JFK Jr playing under his father's desk.

Ethan:  I have to laugh; speaking of things being a certain height... We had a birthday party to attend last night.  There were people there that we haven't seen in quite a while.  They were all gushing about my son's height and how tall he's gotten. He kept muttering yeah I'm tall enough, and making different comments basically stating that he wants to stop growing. 

I thought he was 6'2" but there was another guy there who stood at 6' 3" and when the two stood back to back, it appeared that my son had a slight edge.

He kept replying yeah, I kinda want to stop growing now.  The other guy's wife said, Why?...don't you like being nice and tall?  He said yeah, I do, but one more inch and I'm booted off the Superman roller-coaster ride at Six Flags.  We all laughed. 

I looked it up this morning and sure enough:  Height requirement: Must be at least 54 inches and less than 76 inches tall.  Guess to a kid that's the end of the world... Ahh to be that young again and to have that be life's biggest problem...lol.
    I'm 5'11, and I have a very difficult time finding guys who are taller than myself. So... How old isyour son? And, is he.. cute? :P

Offline sjc

• (Member 153)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #22 on: November 02, 2008, 08:35:50 pm »
    RovingSoul; you are a wonderful doll; congrats on your Kindle and becoming the latest moderator...
    Yes my son is a cutie (my unbiased opinion of course) He is 18 1/2 is (6'3" as you've read) has hazel-green eyes and *sorry has a girlfriend. But here is a pic if you would like; however it is a bit old; I do need to get a more current pic...this will have to do...even though his hazel-green eyes don't show up nicely in it.

Don't fret at  being 5'11" my best friend from college is 5'11" and hated being tall but she did a.o.k. she is drop dead gorgeous; is married (hubby is about 6'4")...they've been married for 20 years and have 4 children...her brother is 6'6" and just as good looking; man that family really has some good genes.  Here is the pic of my son.  (He'd kill me if he knew I was posting his pic and a bad one at that)
    « Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 08:42:58 pm by sjc »

Offline Avalon

• Member #116
      • View Profile
    « Reply #23 on: November 03, 2008, 08:20:12 am »
    Good idea, SJC.  I'm starting to look forward to "found time."

In CA absentee ballots used to be only for handicapped or absentees.  When they realized it was cheaper to have ballots mailed in, they began to allow anyone to use them.

We have advance voting.  An article in my local paper reported on the crowds at the Registrar's office last week; several hours seemed to be the usual wait.
    Kindle Kids:
    K2 "Aurora" arrived 24 Feb 2009
    K1 "Shakespeare" arrived 25 April 2008

We can only be said to be alive in those moments when our hearts are conscious of our treasures.  ~ Thornton Wilder

Offline sjc

• (Member 153)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #24 on: November 03, 2008, 01:16:25 pm »
    Wish they would allow that around here.  They are strict about absentee ballots.  We stand in long lines; no early voting allowed.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement