Author Topic: Are Netgalley and other review services against Select TOS?  (Read 480 times)  

Offline SBlake

• View Profile
Are Netgalley and other review services against Select TOS?
« on: August 25, 2017, 03:15:41 pm »
Sorry if this has already been answered here.

I tried sending kdp support an email regarding this, but the response was vague. I'll be using two separate review gathering sites for the first month that the first two books in my series are released, so they'll be given out free in exchange for honest reviews. During the time that they are given out, is it against the rules to be in Select? I'm guessing that the answer is yes, but ...

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline StephenBrennan

• Vancouver, BC
      • View Profile
      • Stephen Brennan.ca
    Re: Are Netgalley and other review services against Select TOS?
    « Reply #1 on: August 25, 2017, 03:53:10 pm »
    I was on Choosy Bookworm for a few months, despite being in Select. Amazon didn't find out, or if they did they didn't care.

Having said that, my experience was a bust. I gave away 4 books and got no reviews. I don't know anything about Net Galley, but in my case I could have done better just posting a Mail Chimp form on my website and utilizing Twitter+Select free days. Which is what I plan on doing.

Whatever you choose to do, good luck!

Stephen Brennan | www.stephenbrennan.ca

Offline SBlake

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: August 25, 2017, 04:01:15 pm »
    I was also on Choosy at one point. I don't remember what the final number was, but I know it wasn't a good service for me. Or wait ... maybe it was Genre Pulse? In either case, it didn't work out.

This time I'm doing Netgalley and HiddenGems. Very excited about both but don't want to set off any alarm bells right after releasing. I know lots of people have used these services, done cross promos, etc, without getting caught. I just don't want to be the one that doesn't get away with it.

So the question remains. Against TOS for sending out ARCs through a service after release?

Online ShayneRutherford

• Toronto, Ontario
      • View Profile
      • My Website
    « Reply #3 on: August 25, 2017, 06:03:11 pm »
    Technically, yes. It's against the TOS, because if it's available somewhere else, it's no longer exclusive. Whether they'd bust you for it or not is another question entirely.

Why would you be releasing ARCs after release? The A in ARC stands for Advance.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement