Author Topic: Working on a blurb for a short story called Red Silk Spider  (Read 257 times)  

Offline erikhanberg

• Tacoma, WA
  • Author, Parks Commissioner
    • View Profile
Working on a blurb for a short story called Red Silk Spider
« on: August 25, 2017, 09:35:04 am »
Hello all! After being cocooned in a writing cave recently, I've decided to turn to the web for help threading my prose together. I need some silky words to weave together this blurb about a world where humans live in harmony with spiders.

Ok, that's all the spider jokes I can think of. Anyway, it's a short story I'm working on, about 10,000 words. I'm pretty happy with it. The title is Red Silk Spider. It's sci-fi with one big action scene. Kind of feels like an X Files set 400 years in the future maybe? With spiders. Here are three blurbs that tackle it from different sides. I'm not sure if short story blurbs should be as long as novel blurbs, so I've tried to play with that too.

Any feedback on which blurb you think sells the story best would be very appreciated!

Blurb 1
Four hundred years in the future, spiders and humans will live in harmony. Arachnophobia is bigotry. And the silk of spiders decorate our bodies in elaborate tattoos as part of the spider mating ritual.

For Charlotte and her spider Helena, its all perfectly natural. Until a volcanic eruption unleashes a new force on the world that threatens them both.

Blurb 2

Four hundred years after humanity's reckless abuse of the environment causes a catastrophe known as The Fall, humans have bioengineered replacements for the species we used to share the planet with. We live in harmony with everything, even black widow spiders.

But Charlotte and her spider Helena are about to learn that something can still threaten that balance: nature itself.

Blurb 3

"I'll scratch your back, you eat my face."
So thinks Charlotte of her pet black widow spider, Helena. Between the red silk tattoo Helena created on Charlotte's body over night, and the cloud of volcanic ash threatening the city, it's going to be that kind of day.

But when it's discovered that the volcano may have released more than just ash, Charlotte and Helena are going to learn that there are some things more urgent than a spider's mating instinct and more deadly than a black widow's venom.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline EC Sheedy

• BC, Canada
    • "Words are Deeds." Wittgenstein
      • View Profile
    Re: Working on a blurb for a short story called Red Silk Spider
    « Reply #1 on: August 25, 2017, 10:13:20 am »
    I quite like #3. Or maybe a mix-up of the two others?

For hundreds of years, spiders and humans have lived in harmony. Arachnophobia is bigotry, and the silk of our spider friends decorate our bodies in colorful and elaborate tattoos.

For Charlotte and her black widow spider, Helena, such bonding is as natural as breathing. Until a volcanic eruption unleashes a deadly and very unnatural force that threatens them both.

Blurbs never get easier, do they!  :)

Offline erikhanberg

• Tacoma, WA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: August 25, 2017, 02:49:06 pm »
    "The silk of our spider friends" is great. Thank you!

Offline Gregg Bell

• Itasca, Illinois
      • View Profile
      • greggbell.net
    « Reply #3 on: August 25, 2017, 03:30:04 pm »
    I think #2 is the most direct and easily understood. I think you need more of a kicker for that last paragraph though. "Nature" generally speaking has a much more positive than negative connotation.

"When people agree with me I always feel that I must be wrong." Oscar Wilde
    Gregg Bell | Website | Amazon author page | Blog | Twitter | Google+ | Facebook

Offline Ashly Kim

• Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
    • overcaffeinated mama bear
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: August 25, 2017, 07:45:40 pm »
    I like blurb #2.
    Also, this sounds really interesting - any chance this'll also be released in paperback?

Ashly Kim | Twittter | Goodreads | Instagram

Offline erikhanberg

• Tacoma, WA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: August 25, 2017, 08:46:44 pm »
    I like blurb #2.
    Also, this sounds really interesting - any chance this'll also be released in paperback?

Thank you! That is very heartening to hear. Yes! I am very happy to say that it's long enough that I can publish it in paperback (currently appears to be about 10,000 words and 35 pages). I contacted my cover designer earlier this week to let her know I wanted a paperback as well as ebook. I've never published a short story to paperback and I don't know if there's any chance a short story can recoup the added expense, but I want to do it anyway. :)

KBoards.com

• Advertisement