Author Topic: AllAuthors.com sent me a piracy alert  (Read 1504 times)  

Offline amdonehere

• View Profile
AllAuthors.com sent me a piracy alert
« on: August 28, 2017, 09:51:16 pm »
I recently created an author profile on AllAuthors.com. I don't know much about the site actually but it's free to set up a profile and list your books, so heck, why not? They emailed me and told me that:

We are sorry to inform you that, under the campaign "Pen against piracy" we have found 4 of your books available on piracy websites for unauthorized downloading including (Book Title). For further details click on the link given below.
https://allauthor.com/my_account_pap.php

The book that they say have been pirated is the 4th book of my series. I don't know if I should click on the link they gave me or not. I'm always afraid to click on links like these. They have listed all my other books. Should I do anything about this?

ETA: Should I do anything because AllAuthors.com won't list that book due to their discover of piracy. But I'm afraid to click on that link. Is AllAuthors.com a trustworthy site? I don't care about piracy but I do care if it starts to affect me so I can't list my books on legitimate sites.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 10:03:48 pm by AlexaKang »

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline David VanDyke

• View Profile
    Re: AllAuthors.com sent me a piracy alert
    « Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 09:57:31 pm »
    Do nothing. Ignore piracy.

Offline amdonehere

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: August 28, 2017, 10:01:56 pm »
    Do nothing. Ignore piracy.

Sorry David, I should've been more clear. I meant, AllAuthors.com won't list that book because of the piracy they found. I guess since it's part of a series I can just leave it. But I don't know what to do if I want the book listed. I suppose I can click on the link they gave me but I'm very hesitant to click on any link like this because of potential malware. Anybody know if AllAuthors.com is a trustworthy site?

Offline Tilly

• View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: August 28, 2017, 10:11:48 pm »
    Anybody know if AllAuthors.com is a trustworthy site?

I think you're asking the wrong question. I want to know how many readers use AllAuthors.com to discover their next book?

From what I saw, its not a site frequented by genuine readers and I wouldn't waste my time or effort listing there.

Offline AltMe

• WriterSanctum
    • Off the VS rocker.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: August 28, 2017, 10:56:44 pm »
    Allauthors is legit.

I had the same email recently, and 2 of my books were on the pirate site they gave me links to. Nothing untoward happened by clicking those links. I used the link at the bottom to have the books removed. I then searched for any others of mine, but didn't find them. The books appear to have been deleted immediately I completed the form.

I suggest you follow the links, and remove the books.

This is the first time I've found pirated books of mine, and while I agree its nothing to obsess over, when you get told about it, you should take the steps to have them taken down.
    Gone to WriterSanctum.

I do not consent to the new TOS, and do not give my consent by posting and maintaining my membership here.

*** Warning: If you are reading this post more than 6 months after it was posted, the information in it is out of date, and useless to you. The eBook market changes rapidly, and advice more than 6 months old is out of date. Use at your own risk! ***

Offline AltMe

• WriterSanctum
    • Off the VS rocker.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: August 28, 2017, 10:58:16 pm »
    From what I saw, its not a site frequented by genuine readers and I wouldn't waste my time or effort listing there.

I only have 4 books listed there, and 1 of them had been pirated. They told me about both, even though 1 wasn't listed with them.

For this alone, its worth being on the site.
    Gone to WriterSanctum.

I do not consent to the new TOS, and do not give my consent by posting and maintaining my membership here.

*** Warning: If you are reading this post more than 6 months after it was posted, the information in it is out of date, and useless to you. The eBook market changes rapidly, and advice more than 6 months old is out of date. Use at your own risk! ***

Offline Tilly

• View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: August 28, 2017, 11:25:36 pm »
    I only have 4 books listed there, and 1 of them had been pirated. They told me about both, even though 1 wasn't listed with them.
    For this alone, its worth being on the site.

So that's all the site does - tell you if your book is pirated somewhere? You know a google alert will do that to.

I want to know how readers discover and browse the site and how it drives sales - which sounds like it doesn't do.

Offline AltMe

• WriterSanctum
    • Off the VS rocker.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: August 28, 2017, 11:31:05 pm »
    You know a google alert will do that to.

How? Where?
    Gone to WriterSanctum.

Offline Doglover

• Huntingdon, United Kingdom
    • If you want real love, buy a dog.
      • View Profile
      • Margaret Brazear Author
    « Reply #8 on: August 29, 2017, 12:53:33 am »
    So that's all the site does - tell you if your book is pirated somewhere? You know a google alert will do that to.

I want to know how readers discover and browse the site and how it drives sales - which sounds like it doesn't do.
    It's a one man band, but has a lot of followers on Twitter and Facebook. I got an email from them recently informing me that the cover of my latest book has been shortlisted for their cover contest. Before that I only heard of them because they followed me on Twitter. I wondered if it was just to get me to register, but for four books it's free so I think of it as free advertising.

The past is another country; they do things differently there
    Margaret Brazear | Website | Blog | Facebook | Newsletter

Offline ImaWriter

• Canada
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: August 29, 2017, 04:46:33 am »
    How? Where?

Google Alerts

Use Google search parameters or  you'll get bombarded with nonsense.

Offline amdonehere

• View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: August 29, 2017, 06:51:22 am »
    Allauthors is legit.

I had the same email recently, and 2 of my books were on the pirate site they gave me links to. Nothing untoward happened by clicking those links. I used the link at the bottom to have the books removed. I then searched for any others of mine, but didn't find them. The books appear to have been deleted immediately I completed the form.

I suggest you follow the links, and remove the books.

This is the first time I've found pirated books of mine, and while I agree its nothing to obsess over, when you get told about it, you should take the steps to have them taken down.

Thanks much Timothy! Really Appreciate it. :)

Offline PhoenixS

• View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: August 29, 2017, 07:52:22 am »
    « Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 01:21:37 pm by PhoenixS »
    Comments removed to protect content and data from the over-reaching TOS of new forum owner VerticalScope. VerticalScope claims rights to any content posted to this site as theirs to disseminate beyond this site in any way they see fit.

KBoards was purchased by VerticalScope 7.5 years and 4000 posts after I joined. VerticalScope will not allow that existing content to be permanently deleted, despite the fact I did not and do not agree to granting the new owners the rights to my content. - September 21, 2018

bardsandsages

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2017, 07:54:01 am »
    I'm confused. They won't let you list YOUR BOOK because they found it listed on a known piracy site without your permission? WTF? What is their possible reasoning for punishing YOU for what someone else did? ANd more importantly, why do they care? Are they selling a service to get your books removed from pirate sites or something?

Offline PhoenixS

• View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: August 29, 2017, 08:00:55 am »
    Oh, and because I'm feeling a bit cranky this morning before coffee, *in my opinion,* sending out spam emails is infuriating, whether the sender is sugar-coating it with the "your cover is shortlisted" nonsense or not. That fresh spam goes down better, I guess, than the "we saw your book doing well and think it's a great match for our site" lure that's getting so stale. But no matter how you can it, spam is spam.
    Comments removed to protect content and data from the over-reaching TOS of new forum owner VerticalScope. VerticalScope claims rights to any content posted to this site as theirs to disseminate beyond this site in any way they see fit.

KBoards was purchased by VerticalScope 7.5 years and 4000 posts after I joined. VerticalScope will not allow that existing content to be permanently deleted, despite the fact I did not and do not agree to granting the new owners the rights to my content. - September 21, 2018

Offline amdonehere

• View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: August 29, 2017, 08:16:05 am »
    Sorry I think I was the one who caused the confusion. I think they allow listing up to 4 books. I already listed 4. I had assumed that the unlisted one was unlisted because it was the piracy issue, because they specifically emailed me and named that book as one that was pirated. On rereading their email, they actually said 4 of my books are pirated, but for some reason they only named the one that wasn't listed. So I had confused it being that they won't list the book due to piracy. To correct this: it is as Timothy said. They notified me that 4 books of mine were on piracy sites, including a book I did not list. (I had forgotten about the 4 books limit).

Offline Doglover

• Huntingdon, United Kingdom
    • If you want real love, buy a dog.
      • View Profile
      • Margaret Brazear Author
    « Reply #15 on: August 29, 2017, 08:20:57 am »
    Has anyone NOT gotten that email? Serious question. :(

Don't spoil it :)

The past is another country; they do things differently there
    Margaret Brazear | Website | Blog | Facebook | Newsletter

KBoards.com