Author Topic: Sci-Fi Weapon Preference: Energy, Bullets, What?  (Read 1391 times)  

Offline DCRWrites

• Wentworth Hall, Tellus of Sol
  • A writer writes
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to Yesterday's Tomorrow
Re: Sci-Fi Weapon Preference: Energy, Bullets, What?
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2017, 04:05:36 pm »
Projectiles work fine for me. I used beams and missiles in my space opera, but I'd have no issues with conventional firearms.

Welcome to the worlds outside my window
Dave Robinson | Blog | Twitter

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline J. Tanner

• California
      • View Profile
      • J. Tanner vs. the Page
    « Reply #26 on: August 28, 2017, 04:28:48 pm »
    Wouldn't bother me. And if a reader complains, that might mean you haven't explained it well enough rather than that you should change it. It's easy enough to hand-wave away beams if someone calls you on it.

"Be nice to have a laser right about now, Sarge."
    "Happy to requisition one now that we have a volunteer to carry the three ton power supply."

You could also go with reflective tech being superior to beam tech in your universe.

That said, creating something of a balance gives you more options and that can be fun too. It's totally your call for your universe.

The paraphrased King advice here works well: If 10 readers complain about 10 different things, ignore them all. If 10 readers complain about the same thing, fix it whether you agree or not, but feel free to ignore any proposed solutions.
    J. Tanner vs. the Page (blog)

Collection        | Appearing in                          | Stories                                        (KU)          (KU)        | Action/Adventure Series

Offline Douglas Milewski

• View Profile
    « Reply #27 on: August 28, 2017, 07:08:34 pm »
    Puncturing hulls isn't necessarily bad. If you're boarding them, and they aren't wearing suits, and you are wearing suits, then its to your advantage to put holes in the hull and let oxygen depravation do the dirty work for you. Soldiers have better things to do than get killed.

Weapons and defenses are always a tradeoff between advantages and disadvantages. You can get anything that you want out of a tank, or a sword for that matter, but you have to give up something to do it. Lasers get you something, but they also lose you something. Bullet designs get you something, but lose you something.

As an aside, how about firing super-cold ammonia bullets from ships, but which warm up from sunlight and sublimate, therefore disarming themselves later on?

Disclaimer: I sell horribly. Set your filters accordingly.

Offline Nope

• I can't even...
      • View Profile
    « Reply #28 on: August 28, 2017, 07:19:51 pm »
    « Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 04:46:49 pm by Nope »

Offline SasgoraBooks

• Cincinnati, OH
      • View Profile
      • Website
    « Reply #29 on: August 28, 2017, 11:37:24 pm »
    I think it's a funny question considering your Avatar. Being that Halo is the largest sci-fi franchise in gaming and they also still use chemical propelled projectile ammo.

Horror, Supernatural, Science Fiction, Dark Poetry
    Randy Speeg | WebsiteAmazon Author Page | Goodreads Author Page | Twitter | Facebook

Offline Vale

• View Profile
    « Reply #30 on: August 29, 2017, 02:19:35 am »
    The fact that you've put some thought into it is enough for me as a reader. I'm willing to follow an author's reasoning as long as there's some sign they've been thinking about it. All of the different speculation about sci-fi- weapons and what works or doesn't is part of the fun.

You could make it archery-based and I'd be good. Maybe even better, depending on how far you had to stretch to justify that. I'd buy the book "Star Archers" on the title alone. Starchers? Hmm, a step too far.

Offline toddhicks209

• St. Louis
      • View Profile
      • Where to find my books
    « Reply #31 on: August 29, 2017, 04:09:07 am »
    One of my beta readers recently brought up the fact that my sci-fi work uses projectile firearms. They felt bullet-firing weapons were out of place in such a setting, and suggested energy weapons would make it feel more "logical."

In my universe, humanity went from projectile weapons to laser-based firearms. But around seventy years prior to the book, they switched back due to 3D printing, asteroid mining making materials dirt cheap, and armor tech making use of ceramic tech to defeat most energy firearms, as well as tech issues with direct-energy weapons. Ships still use them, but troops have almost entirely gone back to projectile weapons.

Is it really so weird that that people of the future are using projectile weapons in such an advanced era? Should I change this around?
    In sci-fi works, I don't care what weapons or powers are used as long as the story is good.

Todd Hicks

Offline Kal241

• Things are never what they seem
      • View Profile
    « Reply #32 on: August 29, 2017, 06:38:12 am »
    I think it's a funny question considering your Avatar. Being that Halo is the largest sci-fi franchise in gaming and they also still use chemical propelled projectile ammo.

Lol that's actually a colored illustration of my book's supporting protagonist. Admittedly, the armor design was somewhat based upon the Master Chief.

An artist and a writer combined into one being. When you work with Kal, you get a 2-4-1 deal!  

Check out my artistry at: http://kal241.deviantart.com/
    Writing samples of mine will be made available upon request.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement