Author Topic: Proving I'm not a one hit wonder -- another launch thread!  (Read 5319 times)  

Offline amdonehere

• View Profile
Re: Proving I'm not a one hit wonder -- another launch thread!
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2017, 08:02:04 AM »
Thanks Izzy for sharing your results. And great job!! I love your chart -- it makes it so much easier to see what promos are scheduled on what date. I'll have to adopt that.

Can I ask: how did you get Amazon to spend so much on your AMS ads each day? Lot of times, I simply can't get Amazon to spend my $$.

Offline wingsandwords

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2017, 01:06:03 PM »
Would love an update at the end of Sept! I have a feeling it will stick!
Absolutely. I've been totally enthralled with your updates.

Thanks! I'll come back and give an update then <3

Thanks for sharing your numbers, Izzy, and congratulations on another successful launch!

Nick

Thank you! And not a problem at all, sharing is caring!
Congratulations. And thanks for sharing :)

Just wanted to ask, do you think ILVN is worth using for UF rather than paranormal romance? I was thinking of doing a promo with them but am worried that their readers are mainly looking for romances.

My feelings are mixed on ILVN. My ad lady says that they gave the lowest ROI out of the promo sites, but admittedly that's hard to judge with ads and other promos booked--but she's never been wrong before, and a part of that assessment is that ILVN is rather pricey. I don't know that I'll be using them again, but I think they do respond well to UF.

I have a feeling this has less to do with month, and more to do with the fact that you've picked up a bunch of readers since you launched your debut. So you've got that working for you on TOP of a whole new bunch of people attracted by a shiny new series. There is no month where people decide to just stop buying altogether, so if the project's good, any month will do, that's my theory anyway.  :D Here's to loads of ROI!

You have a good point there. I didn't have an audience back in January, and I do now. I'd agree that any month can be a good month if you've got your ducks in a row. Thanks!

Thanks Izzy for sharing your results. And great job!! I love your chart -- it makes it so much easier to see what promos are scheduled on what date. I'll have to adopt that.

Can I ask: how did you get Amazon to spend so much on your AMS ads each day? Lot of times, I simply can't get Amazon to spend my $$.

Thank you <3 My chart was just an estimation of what I would like to spend. It didn't actually play out that way. I've updated the OP with the actual numbers for daily ad spend so that everyone can see the reality in comparison to the plan.

Izzy Shows | Website

Offline Craig Andrews

• Portland, OR
    • View Profile
    • Craig Andrews Website
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2017, 04:09:07 PM »
Another great thread, Izzy. Thank you very much for being so transparent. I second Alexa's question though, how are you getting Amazon to spend $50 in AMS ads? It seems I can barely get them to spend $10, let alone 5x that figure. Are you using the Mark Dawson approach and running 100+ ads with only a handful of keywords apiece, maxing out each campaign with 800+ keywords, or something in between?

Offline Yayoi

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2017, 07:48:48 PM »
Well let me tell you, I envy your work ethic. Well, a little bit.

So tell me what your process after the final draft. Do you have a copy editor, a proofreader, some beta readers then hit publish? You're not a full-time writer now, aren't you? Last time I read you're a student. And how many revisions do you do on your work?

Last question, promise. Any tips on how to write fast?

Offline wingsandwords

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2017, 08:37:50 PM »
Another great thread, Izzy. Thank you very much for being so transparent. I second Alexa's question though, how are you getting Amazon to spend $50 in AMS ads? It seems I can barely get them to spend $10, let alone 5x that figure. Are you using the Mark Dawson approach and running 100+ ads with only a handful of keywords apiece, maxing out each campaign with 800+ keywords, or something in between?

Er, so again, I'm not actually the one running the ads. It's my understanding that she runs multiple ads, though, like a crap ton of them by the way my inbox randomly overflows with "your ad is in review" all of a sudden. Bidding high also has a lot to do with it, I'm to understand--which is something I'd only recommend doing on a launch, as you're chasing rank over ROI at the end of the day.

Well let me tell you, I envy your work ethic. Well, a little bit.

So tell me what your process after the final draft. Do you have a copy editor, a proofreader, some beta readers then hit publish? You're not a full-time writer now, aren't you? Last time I read you're a student. And how many revisions do you do on your work?

Last question, promise. Any tips on how to write fast?

Hehe, thanks. I fire the book off to the editor after I'm done with it, and she does everything for me. Beta readers are an active part of the draft process, I have a website set up where I upload the chapter as soon as it's written, they read it on their own time and submit feedback, and so on until there are no more chapters and the book is finished! I take their feedback into account while I'm writing, so that I don't have to write the whole thing and then go back and rewrite giant sections because of something that didn't make sense. With the way my beta process works, and the fact that I write pretty clean, I only write one draft.

I am a full time author :) I was taking classes when I first wrote Grave Mistake, but that was more to prove a point than for anything else. I wasn't chasing a degree, and I have no intentions of ever getting one, to be perfectly honest. I'm rather attached to the idea of being successful without a degree, proving the system wrong as it were.

As far as writing fast goes, the answer is simple if difficult: practice. I used to struggle to hit 1k in a day, but I made an effort to write consistently, always pushing myself to hit the next level, and now I write about 9k/day.

Izzy Shows | Website

Offline Kyle Alexander Romines

• Kentucky
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2017, 09:23:09 PM »
This is awesome. Even more impressive--your books look amazing. Great blurbs, great covers, great reviews. Congratulations on your success! 
The Vengeance of the Crows : 100%
Kyle Alexander Romines | Goodreads | Amazon | Newsletter

Offline HopelessFanatic

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2017, 07:11:40 AM »

Using AMS to launch a book takes a completely different strategy then running AMS ads normally. I don't follow Mark's approach with Amazon ads, mostly because I get a better cpc with other ad platforms if I bid too high on AMS.

For launch ads, I made several. Because of Amazon gives a boosted visibility to books which have never been advertised before, (even books that have been out years. If you've never run ams ads on a book, AMS will give you more impressions at a much lower bid), I did set up 5 low bid ads for the launch. I used 4,500 keywords spread between the 5 ads with a bid of 0.10. These never maxed budget but we did get some sales and plenty of impressions/clicks.

I also made specific launch ads. I did 3 product display interest ads, 2 at a .40 bid and one at a .75 bid. I did a product display interest ad with a bid of .40 and a product display ad with a bid of .5 targeting the new releases and back-list of the bestsellers in urban fantasy. None of these ads stayed active long because I was getting far lower cpc from the Facebook ads and Bookbub ads. So I funneled some of the AMS money into BB ads.

The primary ad that I kept running was a sponsored ad with a .75 bid on about 200 keywords targeting the bestsellers in urban fantasy with new releases. The cpc averaged to .44 and I changed the daily limit multiple times through the launch. It always maxed budget every day. It was still three times the cpc of the FB ads, but you can't target indie authors with FB, so this was the primary way (other than BB) to target the big names in indie.

I terminated all ads when the book went to full price.

Offline Michael_J_Sullivan

• Fairfax, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2017, 05:21:23 AM »
Nicely detailed. Thanks for sharing. Information exchanges like this makes kboards a great resource.
Wikipedia | Amazon | Twitter | Blog/Website |  Bundled Hollow World DRM-free ebooks with purchase of print or audio

Offline helenscott

• View Profile
    • Helen Scott
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2017, 05:25:15 PM »
I'm rather attached to the idea of being successful without a degree, proving the system wrong as it were.

I love this! Congrats on the awesome journey. I love reading your posts!

Offline coolpixel

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2017, 09:24:50 PM »
congratulations on your success Izzy and thank you for posting this.

i currently have a pre-order out there, with release date of Nov 15.

a few questions

- how can i direct traffic to the pre-order. i find ads don't work very well for pre-orders.

- having read your release strategy, this is my revised launch plan.

day 1 of release - inform my 3 star mailing list readers

day 2 of release - inform my 4 star mailing list readers

day 3 of release - inform my 5 star mailing list readers

day 4 - discount to 99c.

and then run promo site ads for 10 days, in parallel with FB, AMS, and BB for 10 days

i get a certain amount of uplift from mailing my list and i am hoping that these effectively 14 days of push should train Zon algos.

will love to hear your views on this