Author Topic: Impressive ... wish I could do it  (Read 644 times)  

Offline AJC

• View Profile
Impressive ... wish I could do it
« on: September 17, 2017, 08:34:14 am »
Impressive.

Rank of #349 - previously unranked - and at a high price point. And again, a low UK rank in comparison.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075PL8YHH/ref=zg_bsms_digital-text_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=DJP3FM1SC2PKNGD5VA5D

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Seneca42

• View Profile
    Re: Impressive ... wish I could do it
    « Reply #1 on: September 17, 2017, 08:58:54 am »
    new release. huge back catalog. erotica.

hehe read the first page in the preview. It's 100% erotica.

Anyway, could very well be legit. Erotica is a niche I don't understand, but people seem to gobble it up (no pun intended).

Offline Word Fan

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: September 17, 2017, 09:04:17 am »
    Beautiful cover!

Offline Travelian

• View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: September 17, 2017, 09:21:42 am »
    Interesting. The writer is Tupac's half-sister.

Offline ibizwiz

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: September 17, 2017, 09:58:33 am »

Interesting, AJC! Thanks  for beinging it to our attention.

Agree, Word Fan: terrific cover!

But I think the single most important algos-influencing factor must be Allen's back list and series history, as Seneca suggests.
    Her steadily growing body of work has to carry lot of weight with Zon, I propose.

What is especially interesting to me as a book publisher is:

1  Her pricing -- she is generally high, with this new first of series title at $5.99, and her recent (March 2017) book, "Devout", the 2nd of another series, at $8.99 -- I'm impressed, too, AJC!

2  Her decision to limit the # of titles in a series - - letting her do series faster, while giving readers new stories to try.

3  Her (apparent) discipline in writing to a very specific reader demographic. Her choices of a gritty, sexually-explicit, crude TVish story in a one-dimensional world setting are, I am sure, conscious.

4  Her shorter series concept is something I concluded late last year is a good way to find a manageable balance between KU and going wide. Notice how she keeps a number of titles in KU, while being wide with the rest (at those high prices.)

Full disclosure -- I'm impressed in large part by Allen's approach because mine for an upcoming set of series mirrors what I interpret above as her strategy, including higher than usual pricing.

Lastly, I see nothing to suggest Allen is not "legit". She is simply writing to a tightly defined audience segment -- not a big mass market -- and writing in a style that helps her achieve high page counts, gaining whatever benefits she can within the Amazon universe.

Literary merits aside, we should understand she is writing from her own life, in a style that's "real speak" among the "urban"/gangsta/alpha male population in today's real world. Can't fault her for writing what she's lived and hears.

In fact, as a marketer, I'll bet a large portion of her loyal readers came to her books by word of mouth, a phenomenon that occurs in tightly bounded audience segments. 

KBoards.com

• Advertisement