Author Topic: Please help me decide: Pronoun Vs Draft2Digital  (Read 1514 times)  

Offline Kristina Davenport

• View Profile
Please help me decide: Pronoun Vs Draft2Digital
« on: September 23, 2017, 09:34:16 am »
Hi there,

I am going to publish my first novel shortly, and I have decided to go wide. Actually I was planning to enroll in KU since it provides the best chance of discovery for a new author, but am not taking any chances after the Page Flip madness. I have a Kindle with KU subscription myself, and I use Page Flip most of the time to read entire books! I didn't know authors weren't getting paid for those page reads. :(

Any now I can't decide between Pronoun and Draft2Digital. Sorry I should have researched these things beforehand, but I didn't expect KU to turn out like this. Now I am frantically searching at the last moment.

Can you guys please suggest which one would be better? I am leaning towards Pronoun (because of GPlay), but I have heard Pronoun has problems with reporting. Do you recommend Pronoun?

Thanks  :)

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Online ShayneRutherford

• Toronto, Ontario
      • View Profile
      • My Website
    Re: Please help me decide: Pronoun Vs Draft2Digital
    « Reply #1 on: September 23, 2017, 10:02:21 am »
    A friend of mine uses it and likes it quite a lot, and I'll be using it when I have a novel to publish.

I would recommend going direct with Kobo, though, because you can do promotions with them.

Oh, and if you do use Pronoun but are going to go direct with Amazon, make sure your book is already available on Amazon before you try to pub on Pronoun. The reason for this is that if you publish with Pronoun, your book has to be available at Amazon, either through them or Amazon itself. So you can opt out of publishing it through Pronoun, but only if you prove that it's already available through Amazon directly. So you need the Amazon link in order to opt out on Pronoun. Did that make sense?

Offline Tobias Roote

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: September 23, 2017, 10:15:01 am »
    Use both.
    Pronoun is good on Googelplay, but it makes no odds which Aggregator you go with on the other other.

D2D does a whole range of others, but the main ones to concentrate on are Kobo, B&N, Apple.

As above, if you intend to sell your books below $2.99 then do Amazon via Pronoun because you get 70%. Be aware though, that there are differing percentages on international sales.

I have a good relationship with both companies and neither are unreliable in their reporting.
    Want to sell your books on a dedicated Sci-Fi website? Click the link and join up here.

SF Book Review

Online ShayneRutherford

• Toronto, Ontario
      • View Profile
      • My Website
    « Reply #3 on: September 23, 2017, 10:22:04 am »
    As above, if you intend to sell your books below $2.99 then do Amazon via Pronoun because you get 70%. Be aware though, that there are differing percentages on international sales.

But be aware that you can't do ads on Amazon if you're not direct through Amazon.

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: September 23, 2017, 10:53:31 am »
    Many thanks for the replies. :)

Offline CassieL

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: September 23, 2017, 11:44:03 am »
    Can you guys please suggest which one would be better? I am leaning towards Pronoun (because of GPlay), but I have heard Pronoun has problems with reporting. Do you recommend Pronoun?

I'm direct with Amazon, Kobo, Nook, and Google. I use D2D for everything else. I also have short stories that are either free or 99 cents listed through Pronoun.

One reason as mentioned above to stay direct with Amazon is that you then have access to AMS ads.  (And can go into KU if you later change your mind. Yes, some page reads are lost to page flip, but a lot of people have still found it profitable to be in KU anyway. I have at various times with various titles.)

In terms of reporting, I personally hate Pronoun's reporting.  But that's also because I load all of my reports into an Access database so I can generate a single report showing me sales and money made across all platforms for each title and I find what Pronoun provides close to worthless in that respect. They may fix that at some point. I know I at least have communicated to them that what they provide and how is inadequate, but for now if you want to download data for analysis it's the worst of the platforms in that respect. But when you're just starting out and you have one title it's probably not a big deal.  There is also a delay of a couple of days between when things happen on Amazon and when they show up on Pronoun. At least there was last time I checked. It makes seeing real-time ad performance a challenge, but other than the thrill of seeing your sales climb real-time I'm again not sure it's a big deal for most people most of the time as long as you're aware that that delay exists so a promo you run on Monday may not show you numbers until Wednesday or Thursday.

8 Pen Names. Genres: Non-fiction, Speculative Fiction, Romance.

Offline Bob Stewart

• View Profile
      • Street Car Mysteries
    « Reply #6 on: September 23, 2017, 02:03:00 pm »
    For the most part, there's little difference between D2D and Pronoun at the non-Amazon retailers.

The biggest con for Pronoun is that the categories you pick are the two matching Amazon's, which they then try to mesh with Kobo, Google, Apple, and B&N. Whereas D2D lets you pick up to five standard BISAC categories.

As a result, all of my books were in the maximum three Kobo categories when listed through D2D. With Pronoun, the same book might be in just two, or even just one.

The payout is, of course, higher with Pronoun.

Customer service and reporting seem about the same, though I'd say the D2D people have a better handle on their system.

Personally, if I were you, I'd just stick with Amazon. With one book, it will be hard to get anywhere with the others. And whatever KU's faults , and there are several, it does jack up your ranking since borrows count as sales.

Offline Laran Mithras

• Butte MT
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: September 23, 2017, 03:18:05 pm »
    I'm moving out of D2D because of issues where they want me to classify all of my writings as erotica. But I really like their interface and coverage. Plus, they Direct Deposit.

Love D2D. I recommend them.

Pronoun doesn't use Direct Deposit yet.

• View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: September 24, 2017, 03:28:16 am »
    Thanks Bob, after thinking a lot I have decided to go with KU with my first book. I might go wide when my 3rd book comes out and KU doesn't work by then, but for the time being am sticking with KU. With only 1 book ready, I don't think wide is the right choice for me yet.

Offline Laran Mithras

• Butte MT
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: September 24, 2017, 06:12:03 am »
    With only 1 book ready, I don't think wide is the right choice for me yet.

While going wide is "the earlier the better," I agree with your sentiment. KU provides a boost in visibility you can't get anywhere else. Build a customer base with 2 or 3 books then put the rest wide. Just my opinion.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement