Author Topic: What writing-related gifts do you like to receive?  (Read 736 times)  

Offline Konolly

• View Profile
What writing-related gifts do you like to receive?
« on: October 11, 2017, 05:36:18 am »
A friend of mine has decided to get serious about her writing, and her birthday is coming up. There are a couple of writing books on her amazon wishlist I can pick up, but other than that I don't want to go the route of fancy pens that never get used, or notebooks that seem too pretty to write in.

Is there anything related to writing that you really like to receive? She already has the usual software. If I can't think of anything I might stick with 'hibernation' gifts that assist with staying in and writing - coffee, fluffy socks etc.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Anarchist

• Methodological individualist
      • View Profile
    Re: What writing-related gifts do you like to receive?
    « Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 05:54:36 am »
    If your friend has a book in progress, you could purchase a credit for a cover.
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat." - Sun Tzu

Offline Paranormal Kitty

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 07:34:03 am »
    Maybe whatever software she uses (you might have to ask). A key card for Office 365 (they're stackable), a copy of Scrivener, etc.

Offline Not any more

• Baltimore, MD
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 08:16:54 am »
    An introduction to a good editor. That's a gift that would keep on giving for years.
    This post remains on KBoards over my objections.

Offline Rick Gualtieri

• NJ
    • Renaissance Geek
      • View Profile
      • RickGualtieri.com
    « Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 08:18:56 am »
    If she doesn't already have a Kindle Fire, that wouldn't be a bad thing.

Making fantasy fun again, one corpse at a time
    Rick Gualtieri | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Bill The Vampire on FB | YouTube

Offline Ashly Kim

• Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
    • overcaffeinated mama bear
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 08:54:38 am »
    If your friend has a book in progress, you could purchase a credit for a cover.

^^ I like this!

I personally love receiving geekery stuff - mugs, art, sweatshirts, etc. that are related to writing. 

Ashly Kim | Twittter | Goodreads | Instagram

Offline Pandorra

• View Profile
      • Authors in Motion
    « Reply #6 on: October 11, 2017, 12:38:31 pm »
    An introduction to a good editor. That's a gift that would keep on giving for years.

Is it sad that's what I asked for for Christmas??  :D :P

Dean Rencraft | Authors in Motion

Offline Vale

• View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: October 11, 2017, 01:07:11 pm »
    For reading, it'd be an Amazon gift card. Thanks to the Prime day deal on Kindle Unlimited plus a mountain of books people got me last Christmas, I don't think I'm going to run out of reading material in 2017 (or even 2018).

For writing, it's a bit tougher. What I really need is a used Apple-brand laptop and Vellum, but both are a bit outside of the price range I'd want a friend to spend. Scrivener is a good, starting-out gift. For my friends who write longhand for their first drafts, most can never have enough fountain pens or ink. Fountain pens are a good scalable gift since they start around $15 and go up to, well, the cost of an Apple-brand laptop and Vellum combined.

Other nonconventional writing gifts would be a gym membership (there's nothing like sitting down to write to make me immediately get up and go to the gym for an hour), a good chair (my previous chair was a trash can turned upside-down), a writing cat (to keep your feet warm in winter), a quiet place to write (cleaning out a room in the house if your friend lives with you or for family members), or blue hair dye.

Offline Pandorra

• View Profile
      • Authors in Motion
    « Reply #8 on: October 11, 2017, 01:12:29 pm »
    For reading, it'd be an Amazon gift card. Thanks to the Prime day deal on Kindle Unlimited plus a mountain of books people got me last Christmas, I don't think I'm going to run out of reading material in 2017 (or even 2018).

For writing, it's a bit tougher. What I really need is a used Apple-brand laptop and Vellum, but both are a bit outside of the price range I'd want a friend to spend. Scrivener is a good, starting-out gift. For my friends who write longhand for their first drafts, most can never have enough fountain pens or ink. Fountain pens are a good scalable gift since they start around $15 and go up to, well, the cost of an Apple-brand laptop and Vellum combined.

Other nonconventional writing gifts would be a gym membership (there's nothing like sitting down to write to make me immediately get up and go to the gym for an hour), a good chair (my previous chair was a trash can turned upside-down), a writing cat (to keep your feet warm in winter), a quiet place to write (cleaning out a room in the house if your friend lives with you or for family members), or blue hair dye.

:D  Or writing pajamas, mini-fridge, wrist brace, hair ties and/or a hand held massager.

Offline cecilia_writer

• Edinburgh
      • View Profile
      • Cecilia Peartree - woman of mystery (blog)
    « Reply #9 on: October 11, 2017, 01:35:13 pm »
    Notebooks - always notebooks!

Offline Evenstar

• Here. Hare. Here.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: October 11, 2017, 01:41:27 pm »
    I adore being given writing related personal objects. On my last birthday a friend gave me a necklace with a little typewriter charm on it, which I always wear to author events. And I've been given some earrings shaped like a little stack of books that are great fun.

But quite seriously my perfect gift is to get an Amazon voucher. I spend it on books mostly, and quite often on paperback versions of my own books!! (I keep buying them to have in a pretty row on my shelves and people keep asking for a copy so I give them mine and then I have to buy them again!)

Offline LSBurton

• View Profile
      • Ocean's Edge Editing
    « Reply #11 on: October 11, 2017, 02:15:10 pm »
    A soundproofed room and two weeks away from her job. :)

Offline Pandorra

• View Profile
      • Authors in Motion
    « Reply #12 on: October 11, 2017, 02:19:06 pm »

ROTFLMAO!

Admit it, if we locked you away from your writing and all of your devices for two weeks you would come out panting and drooling for a pen and paper. (And your latest sales data!)

Offline Pacman

• View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: October 11, 2017, 02:32:01 pm »

That and throw in a bag of fresh roasted, boutique / heritage Ethiopian coffee beans; a hand grinder (for the exercise); and a 2 cup French press (what we would called a 'plunger' in Aussie).

If you really want to make her happy, a coffee mug with her name on it, so no bludger steals it when she returns to work :)

KBoards.com

• Advertisement