Author Topic: A New AMS Thread  (Read 101188 times)  

Offline TromboneAl

• Name IRL: Al Macy
    • View Profile
Re: A New AMS Thread
« Reply #175 on: November 12, 2017, 11:44:17 am »
Thanks, LilyBLily. I guess I figured fair use would cover the use of a couple of words inside quote marks. If anyone else has experience with this, I'd appreciate your input. Thanks.

This ad was rejected:

Reason: - The ad contains references to customer reviews or star ratings. As the star ratings on Amazon are dynamic and can change rapidly, the star rating in your ad may not be correct throughout your ad campaign.

I took out "Well written thriller" and the ad was accepted.

My conclusion: quotes from reviews are not allowed.

Al Macy | Web Site

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline weigle1234

• View Profile
    « Reply #176 on: November 12, 2017, 02:37:58 pm »
    On running Sponsored Product ads with low bids.

I average 30-40 clicks per sale at an average cost per click of $0.10.  This nets me a good profit on my $6.99 box sets due to sell-through and paperback sales of my children's books.

I'd like to do a thought experiment to see the benefit of multiple ads with low cost bids compared to a single ad with high cost bids.  Say I need 40 clicks to make a sale in either case. 

Case A: I run one ad at $0.20 per click. Therefore, I spend $8 ($0.20 x 40) to make a sale.

Case B: I run ten ads at $0.10 per click.  40 clicks = 4 clicks per ad. I spend $0.40 per ad. So 40 clicks = $4 ($0.40 x 10) to make a sale.

Does this make sense?  Am I missing something? What should I conclude from this?

Philip

As you also seem to have discovered, running multiple ads (I have run hundreds) yields all kinds of useful information - but only if the results are closely monitored - which you appear to be doing.

The most frustrating aspect is that of AMS not providing useful sales feedback (more like nonexistent) for most individual ads.  With those few ads where AMS feedback does actually exist, here is what I soon discovered:

For those few ads producing documented sales on the Advertising Campaign chart, the Average Daily Increase in Impressions remains fairly constant.  However, for those ads never yielding sales data, the Average Daily Increase in Impressions steadily declines; which I perceive as evidence of a failed ad, thus Terminating it.

For example, an ad may initially yield Average Daily Impressions of 1,000 - but will steadily decline to perhaps 200 after running just 4 weeks.  In such instances (which is the norm) I terminate the ad after 4 weeks.  Also, I ignore all stats for the first week with all ads since those stats are generally meaningless due to AMS reporting delays.

On rare occasion an ad will produce a sale almost immediately; sometimes with the very first Click.  I am very careful with such ad response since an early sale is often misleading.  Unless the ad soon generates additional sales, it is easy to make the mistake of allowing the ad to continue running - soon eating up profits from the first sale.  This is especially true when placing higher bids, where AMS tends to quickly initiate a money grab with tons of Clicks, but no orders.

My take on new ads that generate very early sales is that they tend to initially attract undue attention; causing some folks to order out of mere curiosity.  I have had that happen many times.  After that first order, new ad response may quickly die off.  So, it is best to keep a close eye to avoid quickly losing early profits.

Even ads that are productive for a few months will eventually lose their effectiveness (steady decline in Average Daily Impressions and/or sales).  I eventually Terminate such ads; after which I either start an entirely new ad, or make major Keyword changes (and/or adding new Keywords) to the Terminated ad; then resubmitting it (which causes the Algorithm to throw the revised ad in an entirely new direction - often bringing it back to life).

Offline weigle1234

• View Profile
    « Reply #177 on: November 12, 2017, 03:54:52 pm »

Case A: I run one ad at $0.20 per click. Therefore, I spend $8 ($0.20 x 40) to make a sale.

Case B: I run ten ads at $0.10 per click.  40 clicks = 4 clicks per ad. I spend $0.40 per ad. So 40 clicks = $4 ($0.40 x 10) to make a sale.

Does this make sense?  Am I missing something? What should I conclude from this?

Philip

What you are saying makes perfect sense (at least from my experience).

I now start most ads at the 2-Cent bid level.  If the ads appears to be working after running for at least a few weeks, I usually up the bid (usually to 5-Cents; which generally results in 3-Cents CPC).  But I monitor the new ad closely since AMS often goes ape - dramatically increasing bid count - which is great if more orders result; but often it does not.

For me, 2-Cent bids always generate a profit, and my cost per order is very low.  But, it takes forever to generate significant profits.    In summary, increased bidding is the answer to generating more profits, but ad cost per order increases - along with a very much increased risk of the ad quickly going into the red when AMS goes nuts with Click numbers.

The trick here, IMHO, is to find a compromising Sweet Spot among bid levels where everything comes together.  Much easier said than done - as most of us have discovered.  The AMS goal seems (at least to me) to be making that process as confusing and as difficult as possible!

Offline Philip Gibson

• Laos (Moved from Yorkshire)
    • Philip and Cookie the Dog
      • View Profile
      • Hashtag Histories
    « Reply #178 on: November 12, 2017, 04:27:16 pm »
    What you are saying makes perfect sense (at least from my experience).

The trick here, IMHO, is to find a compromising Sweet Spot among bid levels where everything comes together.  Much easier said than done - as most of us have discovered.  The AMS goal seems (at least to me) to be making that process as confusing and as difficult as possible!

After much trial and error, including a brief period when I was spending more than I was making by bidding too high, I have found my 'sweet spot' to be a bid of $0.16, resulting in average cost per click of $0.10.

It would be interesting to know if others think they have found their sweet spot for bids.

Philip

What if there had been social media during important historical events?
    Philip Gibson | Hashtag Histories | Word By Word Graded Readers for Children

Offline amdonehere

• View Profile
    « Reply #179 on: November 12, 2017, 08:32:18 pm »
    Copyright for customer reviews is held by the customer; that's why you can't quote them. An editorial review can be quoted just about anywhere, but I believe only as an excerpt and with attribution.

Don't writers quote customer reviews in blurbs? I thought I'd seen customer quotes in blurbs.

Offline TromboneAl

• View Profile
    « Reply #180 on: November 13, 2017, 07:50:32 am »
    Don't writers quote customer reviews in blurbs? I thought I'd seen customer quotes in blurbs.

They do, even though it is against the Amazon rules.

I have a hard time imagining a reviewer caring about copyright infringement, much less complaining. So, technically, if you quote "Well written review" somewhere it's an infringement, but c'mon.

Al Macy | Web Site

Offline CassieL

• View Profile
    « Reply #181 on: November 13, 2017, 08:18:04 am »
    Edited to say: Sorry guys. Based on new ownership at this site and their response to legitimate author concerns I've chosen to withdraw from participation here.
    « Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 11:17:32 am by Cassie Leigh »

8 Pen Names. Genres: Non-fiction, Speculative Fiction, Romance.

Offline Tizzy

• View Profile
    « Reply #182 on: November 14, 2017, 02:45:56 pm »
    This ad was rejected:

Reason: - The ad contains references to customer reviews or star ratings. As the star ratings on Amazon are dynamic and can change rapidly, the star rating in your ad may not be correct throughout your ad campaign.

I took out "Well written thriller" and the ad was accepted.

My conclusion: quotes from reviews are not allowed.

To be honest, I'd say your ad looks better without the quote anyway so the amazon rep did you a favor. The quote seemed (to me) tacked on and unnecessary on a product listing, I'd bet you'll have a much better chance at selling now :D

Offline weigle1234

• View Profile
    « Reply #183 on: November 14, 2017, 09:35:49 pm »

After much trial and error, including a brief period when I was spending more than I was making by bidding too high, I have found my 'sweet spot' to be a bid of $0.16, resulting in average cost per click of $0.10.

It would be interesting to know if others think they have found their sweet spot for bids.

Philip

In general, trying to find many Sweet Spots may be impossible since they will probably vary considerably from ad-to-ad.

Back several months ago, when I submitted one of my very first AMS ad, I decided to advertise my VapoKarb ebook (for a DIY fuel-saving device I developed about 30+ years ago during my many years in the mail order business).  I sold tens of thousands of copies for $10, and also gave away many thousands more as ordering incentives.  Since my VapoKarb design has long been obsolete, I offer that ebook mainly as a curiosity item for folks interested in old, but proven, technology - therefore priced at only 99-cents.

But, the primary motivation for my VapoKarb ebook was to test the waters with low-bid (like 2-Cents) AMS ads.  I never intended to make a profit with the ebook; only to use it as a test ad, and to draw attention to my other higher-priced books.  As expected, my VapoKarb ebook ad venture never made money - but, to my surprise, it lost but a few bucks (less than $8).

After a few months I decided to stop Running the ad since it had long since served its purpose.  However, because the ad had already garnered over 1,000,000 Impressions, I decided to keep it Running just to see if it would reach 2,000,000 Impressions - which it eventually did.  I then Terminated the ad.

Long story short, yesterday I decided to check long-term sales stats - referring to the Historical chart on my Sales Dashboard (referring to the Life-to-Date option).  To my surprise, I discovered that almost as many VapoKarb ebooks have sold since I Terminated its ad.  Obviously, those ebooks are selling organically.

Now I am questioning the effectiveness of the AMS ad for my VapoKarb ebook.  I spent many hours trying to perfect and run that ad, and closely monitoring its performance (in spite of the fact that AMS never provides sales data on my Advertising Campaign chart for the ad).

Even though I lost but a few bucks while the ad was Running, at least I am now earning 35-Cents for each organically sold copy - hardly enough for bragging rights.

All this is causing me to seriously question the effectiveness of my hundreds of AMS ads for my many other ebooks.  Hate to rain on anyone's parade, but this is something I definitely need to further investigate.

Offline CassieL

• View Profile
    « Reply #184 on: November 15, 2017, 05:44:13 am »
    Edited to say: Sorry guys. Based on new ownership at this site and their response to legitimate author concerns I've chosen to withdraw from participation here.
    « Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 11:17:45 am by Cassie Leigh »

Offline quiet chick writes

• Metro DC
      • View Profile
      • LauraRaeAmos.com
    « Reply #185 on: November 15, 2017, 07:28:59 am »
    Does anyone know if there is a way to change all of your keyword bids all at once? (Short of starting a new ad, I mean.) Or can I only change them one by one (times hundreds of keywords)?

Actually, even when copying keywords over to a new ad, they seem to retain the bid price they had in the last ad, so maybe even that wouldn't work to change the whole set at once.
    more likely to be on twitter

Offline BillyDeCarlo

• View Profile
      • Billy DeCarlo, Author
    « Reply #186 on: November 15, 2017, 07:35:47 am »
    Not that I know. That would actually be a usability enhancement, which AMS has no clue on. It's copy and paste, paste, paste. Another maintenance outage tonight I see, hopefully they're updating this system to provide some enhancements.

All available WIDE!
    Billy DeCarlo | Website/blog | Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Amazon | BookBub

Offline CassieL

• View Profile
    « Reply #187 on: November 15, 2017, 07:40:28 am »
    « Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 11:18:01 am by Cassie Leigh »

Offline Tizzy

• View Profile
    « Reply #188 on: November 15, 2017, 08:35:16 am »
    Got a bit of a question guys, if anyone is willing to help :D

I published my first novel last week on Friday. After having basically no sales and but one borrow on KU over the weekend (because of course, why would a random, no-hype release from a nobody sell at all on its own? :P ) I started my first ad campaign via AMS yesterday after browsing through this tread. So far, so... well, I don't know. I have 444 impressions says Amazon (tho the number keeps going down when it should go up and this doesn't make sense) and 2 clicks (that number has stayed put) in 12 hours, which might not be bad. I know 2 clicks/500 impressions isn't considered bad in here, so I'm not all gloomy.

What I'm wondering is, I'm running the ad as a sponsored item campaign (because the other option requires $100 I do not currently have available) using keywords, and I'm using a reduced set of them - 9 to be precise. Only two of them are genre-related (Fantasy, Satire) while the rest are related to famous authors or works that are like mine. So far both clicks have come from the Fantasy keyword, which was honestly unexpected since I thought the more closely related impressions would generate more clicks - and from what I've seen, 2 clicks on 25 impressions for Fantasy is... impressive (for me), if not statistically significant since I might as well proceed to have 500 impressions over the next hour with no clicks whatsoever. Numbers are too small to  impress anyone as is :P

So my question - am I using too few keywords? Or should I leave it as is, is it better to have a few well-selected keywords, or should I expand them to target a wider audience at the risk of being ignored? Then again, I expected the Fantasy tag, being so wide, wouldn't bring a thing and here we are. How many keywords do you guys use on your novels?

Offline CassieL

• View Profile
    « Reply #189 on: November 15, 2017, 08:53:31 am »
    « Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 11:18:15 am by Cassie Leigh »

Offline weigle1234

• View Profile
    « Reply #190 on: November 15, 2017, 01:35:38 pm »
    Our AMS "Historical" data chart (accessed via our "Sales Dashboard") has just been updated with stats for the month of October.

For AMS newbies; "Historical" data is at least 14 days old - which I have found to be very accurate when cross-referenced with the constantly update Sales Dashboard stats (which are of the same vintage).

Following is a copy of my recent inquiry to Amazon - in reference to what I consider to be crucial information:

When referring to my AMS "Advertising Campaigns" chart, the "Est. Total Sales" data is seldom provided for my "Sponsored Product" ads.  In fact, it is never provided for any of my "Sponsored Product" ads submitted with minimum bids.

Why is that "All-Important" information usually missing?

Does AMS intend to correct that situation?

Thanks for your anticipated response.

Gordy Weigle, Kustom Power

Offline CassieL

• View Profile
    « Reply #191 on: November 15, 2017, 02:41:25 pm »
    « Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 11:18:34 am by Cassie Leigh »

Offline IntoTheAbyss

• View Profile
    « Reply #192 on: November 15, 2017, 07:52:19 pm »
    Costing like 70 to 80 cents to get on the first carousel for a lot of top romance authors.  :o

Shutting off all Facebook ads and blasting AMS ads. See how effective they can be instead. Getting between 20 and 30 cent cpc for Facebook ads, but no way to track unless I send to landing page first, and that sadly ups the cpc. Rank does drop from in the top 3,000 quickly if I turn off Facebook ads though, so they are working, just not profitable for this particular book since it isn't a series.

Time to experiment with AMS ads when Facebook ads are fully off. Have various ads and ad types. Will let you know what I find in a few days. Most likely will be that I won't be able to really make this particular book profitable as a standalone and need to make it a series : /.

Offline TromboneAl

• View Profile
    « Reply #193 on: November 16, 2017, 04:31:22 pm »
    Does anyone know if there is a way to change all of your keyword bids all at once? (Short of starting a new ad, I mean.) Or can I only change them one by one (times hundreds of keywords)?

Actually, even when copying keywords over to a new ad, they seem to retain the bid price they had in the last ad, so maybe even that wouldn't work to change the whole set at once.

Their boneheaded interface has even made it impossible to click a bid amount, paste in a new value then click the next.

A workaround for this (and many other computer problems) is a keyboard macro program. That is, you can define a set of keypresses that will be made every time you activate a macro (e.g. 0.12 <tab><enter><tab><tab>, etc.).

I use one from Macros.com (I have no connection with them).

Al Macy | Web Site

Offline Gregg Bell

• Itasca, Illinois
      • View Profile
      • greggbell.net
    « Reply #194 on: November 18, 2017, 03:58:23 pm »
    Are the ebook covers no longer posted in Sponsored AMS ads? I haven't seen any for a while.

Offline Tizzy

• View Profile
    « Reply #195 on: November 18, 2017, 04:10:51 pm »
    Are the ebook covers no longer posted in Sponsored AMS ads? I haven't seen any for a while.

What do you mean? All the sponsored products I see on ebooks have the covers.

Offline Gregg Bell

• Itasca, Illinois
      • View Profile
      • greggbell.net
    « Reply #196 on: November 18, 2017, 05:24:52 pm »
    What do you mean? All the sponsored products I see on ebooks have the covers.

Tizzy. My bad. My ad blocker was blocking just the covers. So it showed the author names, blurbs and price but no cover. I was under the impression that since some of the ads were showing, that the covers were missing. When I disabled the ad blocker the covers were there as well. Thanks for replying. :)

Offline Rivera Sun

• View Profile
    « Reply #197 on: November 19, 2017, 07:00:54 pm »
    Not only are the covers there, but I've seen pages with the sponsored ads at the top and the bottom. Poor Nora Roberts isn't even first on the page. Come on. Who's going to sell more books?

The sponsored ads at the top may be coming in from other AMS platforms that offer "Headline ads" Headline ads are expensive, my experience is they run 2-3 times more than regular sponsored ads plus they are quirky. Amazon monitors keyword clicks and cancels low performance words. Problem is at least for my keywords anything over 150 impressions per click is in danger of stoppage. I had them stop one keyword runnibg at 155 impressions per clic that was creating an 11% ACoS... which is also evidence that their measure of performance of an ad is strictly ad revenue and not ad revenue plus sales revenue.  I have run 12 headline ads and all have lost money. I have 100's of KDP-AMS sponsored ads running and almost all of them make money....that's a big difference

Offline Accord64

• View Profile
    « Reply #198 on: November 21, 2017, 01:15:40 pm »
    Has anyone noticed ad text being being cut off in sponsored product ads?

I recently noticed that the last letter on one of my ads gets cut in half because it's spaced to the far right (runs off the page). I've seen this in other ads as well. It shows up in both Chrome and Firefox browsers, regardless of zoom levels. Some ads have more than one letter cut off. I emailed screenshots to AMS and they are investigating.

Offline DrewMcGunn

• View Profile
    « Reply #199 on: November 21, 2017, 08:37:44 pm »
    It's not just you.  I've noticed it too.
    I do not accept nor do I consent to KBoards/VerticalScope's Terms of Service which were implemented without proper notification. I reserve all rights to my content under Title 17 of the United States Code. If VirticalScope or its successors do not delete this account then by permitting it to remain on the forum, they are agreeing to my terms.  My content is exclusively my own and may not be used to market or derive income from the content shared. Disputes between me and VirticalScope and its successors will be resolved by the laws of the state of Texas.
    By leaving my account intact, VirticleScope and its successors agrees to these terms. These terms supersede and replace VirticleScope's terms of use. If VerticleSpace doesn't agree to these terms, they have my permission to wipe my account, which must include any and all backups.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement