Author Topic: A New AMS Thread  (Read 100542 times)  

Offline brianna515

• View Profile
Re: A New AMS Thread
« Reply #700 on: May 23, 2018, 12:43:39 pm »
You might want to start a new thread and ask this question so those who don't come here can see it, too. I'd love a little tool that mines my book's also boughts for me...

Rising Sun: You can use a tool called import.io. I explain in this guide I created: https://authorstech.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/AMS-Keywords-Playbook-Final.pdf

Cassie: KDP Rocket scrapes your also-boughts...

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline weigle1234

• View Profile
    « Reply #701 on: May 23, 2018, 02:25:51 pm »

My stats also suggest that maybe this book doesn't sell well on the west coast, so no need to boost the budget

I wouldn't write off the west coast folks - at least not those from California.  To test new mailing lists, during my many mail order years, I usually did limited test mailings to Californians.  My philosophy always was "If Californians won't buy my books, nobody will."

Offline CassieL

• View Profile
    « Reply #702 on: May 23, 2018, 02:47:55 pm »
    Edited to say: Sorry guys. Based on new ownership at this site and their response to legitimate author concerns I've chosen to withdraw from participation here.
    « Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 11:45:46 am by Cassie Leigh »

8 Pen Names. Genres: Non-fiction, Speculative Fiction, Romance.

Offline Rising Sun

• View Profile
    « Reply #703 on: May 24, 2018, 08:13:32 pm »
    Rising Sun: You can use a tool called import.io. I explain in this guide I created: https://authorstech.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/AMS-Keywords-Playbook-Final.pdf

Cassie: KDP Rocket scrapes your also-boughts...

Thanks so much for your guide. i purchased the KDSpy and am using it for Amazon category bestseller lists. Easy to use and efficient.

I downloaded the import.io. software but it seems over my head... I an hoping for something turnkey but maybe I am not seeing the import.io. program clearly
    believing in love, revolution and that radical is the new sensible
    Rivera Sun | Website | Twitter | Facebook

Offline danpadavona

• View Profile
      • Dan Padavona Author Page
    « Reply #704 on: May 25, 2018, 12:03:32 pm »
    Another AMS glitch over the last few days. Apparently, all ads entered in the last 2-3 days are displaying 0 impressions/clicks/spend/etc. There is a Facebook thread on the glitch. Someone contacted AMS and received the standard "maybe your bids are too low" reply, so in usual Amazon fashion, they are denying the problem exists.

Dan Padavona | Website | Facebook

Offline CassieL

• View Profile
    « Reply #705 on: May 25, 2018, 12:23:18 pm »
    Edited to say: Sorry guys. Based on new ownership at this site and their response to legitimate author concerns I've chosen to withdraw from participation here.
    « Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 11:46:00 am by Cassie Leigh »

Offline BillyDeCarlo

• View Profile
      • Billy DeCarlo, Author
    « Reply #706 on: May 25, 2018, 12:51:11 pm »
    I started one yesterday and have been dumbfounded that there has been zero activity in every metric, despite a healthy bid offer. So, thanks for the post, it was driving me crazy.

All available WIDE!
    Billy DeCarlo | Website/blog | Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Amazon | BookBub

Offline Philip Gibson

• Laos (Moved from Yorkshire)
    • Philip and Cookie the Dog
      • View Profile
      • Hashtag Histories
    « Reply #707 on: May 25, 2018, 04:26:36 pm »
    For me, the glitch lasted 2/3 days with new ads showing no impressions at all.  Seems to be back to normal now. For me at least.

Philip

What if there had been social media during important historical events?
    Philip Gibson | Hashtag Histories | Word By Word Graded Readers for Children

Offline Philip Gibson

• View Profile
      • Hashtag Histories
    « Reply #708 on: May 25, 2018, 06:09:34 pm »
    For me, the glitch lasted 2/3 days with new ads showing no impressions at all.  Seems to be back to normal now. For me at least.

Philip

Note that that 2-day glitch applied to AMS ads in the UK. The US ads, for me, continued reporting as usual.

Philip

Online Jena H

• North Carolina
    • Desperate character
      • View Profile
    « Reply #709 on: May 29, 2018, 01:21:41 pm »
    Well, I finally paused my long-running ad that has pretty much lost all juice lately.  In about a week or so I'll copy it and run it again, to see if a reboot gives the ad a fresh kick-off.

BTW, I don't know why we can both pause and terminate our ads.  Is there any specific benefit to doing one over the other?  (Other than the fact that you always have the option of re-starting a paused ad.)  In other words, I wonder if AMS treats our ads differently if we pause rather than terminate.
    Jena

Offline weigle1234

• View Profile
    « Reply #710 on: May 29, 2018, 08:17:47 pm »
    Well, I finally paused my long-running ad that has pretty much lost all juice lately.  In about a week or so I'll copy it and run it again, to see if a reboot gives the ad a fresh kick-off.

BTW, I don't know why we can both pause and terminate our ads.  Is there any specific benefit to doing one over the other?  (Other than the fact that you always have the option of re-starting a paused ad.)  In other words, I wonder if AMS treats our ads differently if we pause rather than terminate.

I've had mixed results with pausing ads, so I only terminate.  Also, I'm a bit paranoid about copying ads; feeling that AMS will assign lower priority the second time around.  My approach is to terminate all non-productive ads.  If you intend to resubmit the same ad, I would advise adding several keywords to change the ad dynamics.  Otherwise, AMS may recognize it as being identical and assign lower priority (again, my paranoia kicking in).  AMS retains copies of all terminated ads, as evidenced on our Advertising Campaigns chart.  One of their motivations for doing that may be checking for ads with identical keywords, or even high levels of keyword duplications.

Annelie

« Reply #711 on: May 29, 2018, 11:44:57 pm »
    What are some of the best clicks-to-impressions anyone's heard? Is there such a beast as 1 click per 100 impressions?

Up to 1 click in 30 impressions for new releases and keywords that word best in that series.

Annelie

« Reply #712 on: May 29, 2018, 11:54:04 pm »
    Has anyone found a viable way of A/B testing different ad copy? The last time I tried running ads with the same keyword targets but different text, one got all the impressions, so there was no way of telling how the others would have performed in comparison (since no one saw them). I'm assuming they were competing against each other, but it's frustrating because if I use different keywords for each, there's no way of knowing whether differences in performance are due to the targeting or the ad copy. :P

Before I started an A/B test, I tested the test by using triplets of identical ads (keywords, bids, copy, book all the same, no variations whatsoever). They were all served differently and evolved differently. So if I want an A/B test to give me statistical significance on ad copy variations, I would run at least three identical campaigns for each copy and collect half a million impressions. Which is a [crap]load of money :/

Offline CassieL

• View Profile
    « Reply #713 on: May 30, 2018, 07:27:31 am »
    « Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 11:46:16 am by Cassie Leigh »

Online Jena H

• North Carolina
    • Desperate character
      • View Profile
    « Reply #714 on: May 30, 2018, 12:43:22 pm »
    I don't know if they treat the ads differently but I never ever terminate an ad. I've had way too many experiences where I tried to start a new ad for a book and all it did was spend a lot of money with no sales. But I could go back to the old ad and it started performing well for me again. Or at least it generated sales for me. Early on I accidentally terminated one of my best ads and I've never been able to get an ad that performs that well for that book going again.

So maybe instead of copying the ad and running it fresh, I can simply unpause it after a week (??) and it will behave "like new."   ::)
    Jena

Offline CassieL

• View Profile
    « Reply #715 on: May 30, 2018, 01:17:25 pm »
    « Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 11:46:31 am by Cassie Leigh »

Online Jena H

• North Carolina
    • Desperate character
      • View Profile
    « Reply #716 on: May 30, 2018, 03:12:33 pm »
    Maybe not like new but I have definitely had ads that had died off pick back up when they were unpaused. Sometimes it takes 12 hours, sometimes it take a couple days, sometimes it takes a week or so to sit before it starts running again. If you have an ad that has a good history (so good click rates and sellthrough) I always think it's worth trying to keep it going rather than start with a new ad.

Good to know.  I paused the ad on Monday or Tuesday, so maybe after this coming weekend I'll unpause and see what happens.
    Jena

Offline rcullison

• View Profile
    « Reply #717 on: June 01, 2018, 12:57:20 pm »
    Can I copy my ad campaign, keep all the same keywords and bids, change the ad copy, and test them against each other? Based on replies here, it's unclear. Some say one ad will take all the impressions, others say it works.

I suspect my ad copy isn't good enough. That 150 character limit is rough. My campaign has 36k impressions but only 13 clicks. I've had some borrows, but I don't know how many (I am getting page reads though). I'm at that (non) magical place where a single sale or borrow is enough to jump my rank 100,000 spots or more. A handful of borrows jumped me to 36000 rank, but then it just trickles back down day by day. Ah, fun times.

Russell Cullison | blog | goodreads

Offline CassieL

• View Profile
    « Reply #718 on: June 01, 2018, 01:20:23 pm »
    « Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 11:46:44 am by Cassie Leigh »

Offline CasperValentine

• View Profile
    « Reply #719 on: June 01, 2018, 01:23:07 pm »
    Can I copy my ad campaign, keep all the same keywords and bids, change the ad copy, and test them against each other? Based on replies here, it's unclear. Some say one ad will take all the impressions, others say it works.

I suspect my ad copy isn't good enough. That 150 character limit is rough. My campaign has 36k impressions but only 13 clicks. I've had some borrows, but I don't know how many (I am getting page reads though). I'm at that (non) magical place where a single sale or borrow is enough to jump my rank 100,000 spots or more. A handful of borrows jumped me to 36000 rank, but then it just trickles back down day by day. Ah, fun times.

I was wondering the exact same thing! I'm in the same boat as you trying to figure out the AMS ads. Nearly the same numbers too. I had 38k impressions and 23 clicks. I paused that ad and redid my 150 char copy from a basic tagline to more of a sales pitch this morning. I used the exact same keywords but have only had 49 impressions today! At least the old ads that weren't getting many clicks were generating over 1500 impressions a day. I can't figure these AMS ads out. I've been trying to spend $5 a day for 21 days and over this time I've only spent $3.42. This is literally the hardest I've ever tried to spend money. LOL

Casper Valentine | facebook

Offline rcullison

• View Profile
    « Reply #720 on: June 02, 2018, 12:48:27 pm »
    You definitely want to fix something there because for 36,000 impressions I'd want at least 36 clicks and hopefully more. Do you have a keyword in there that's pulling most of the impressions but not getting many clicks? If so, I'd shut it down.

My top 2 keywords, in terms of impressions, are one with 19k impressions and 7 clicks, and one with 5500 impressions and 0 clicks. I will pause them. Something that just occurred to me would be to pause them and then create a new campaign with those keywords using different ad copy and see what happens. I stand very little to lose. Those two are the majority of my campaign, so I need to rework this thing one way or another.

My best performing keyword is 1 impression for 1 click.  :) I'm pretty sure it turned into a borrow who then read the entire book. If only I could stumble on other such perfect customers...

Russell Cullison | blog | goodreads

Offline CassieL

• View Profile
    « Reply #721 on: June 04, 2018, 09:01:13 am »
    « Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 11:46:58 am by Cassie Leigh »

Online Jena H

• North Carolina
    • Desperate character
      • View Profile
    « Reply #722 on: June 04, 2018, 02:51:51 pm »
    A few months ago I took the plunge and dove in with a Product Display ad for my non-fiction book.  (I'd run the other type of ad for the book and didn't have great success.  Well, now, after all these weeks, I've spent a grand total of... (drum roll, please)... sixteen whole cents.   :P  That's since the end of February. 

The bad thing about PD ads is that, as far as I can tell from my dashboard, I can't tell which targeted pages led to my whopping expenditure.
    Jena

Offline weigle1234

• View Profile
    « Reply #723 on: June 04, 2018, 09:05:43 pm »
    A few months ago I took the plunge and dove in with a Product Display ad for my non-fiction book.  (I'd run the other type of ad for the book and didn't have great success.  Well, now, after all these weeks, I've spent a grand total of... (drum roll, please)... sixteen whole cents.   :P  That's since the end of February. 

The bad thing about PD ads is that, as far as I can tell from my dashboard, I can't tell which targeted pages led to my whopping expenditure.

Products Display ads behave much differently than Sponsored Product ads.  They usually take at least 2 weeks to gain traction, if they ever do.  But once they gain traction, Impressions usually begin to quickly accelerate.  Also, their CTR's are usually much higher that SP ads.  I've run hundreds of PD-I (Product Display - Interest) ads, and they usually outperform  SP ads by a factor of at least 10:1.  The downside being that bids must be higher than those for SP ads.  Thus, it's easy to get badly burned if PD-I ads with high bids start producing tons of Clicks, which they usually do.  In other words, if you run PD ads with high bids, be sure to keep a close watch.  I advise starting with low bids, and working your way up.
    « Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 09:14:09 pm by weigle1234 »

Offline Philip Gibson

• View Profile
      • Hashtag Histories
    « Reply #724 on: June 05, 2018, 06:10:53 am »
    Well, this might explain some of the declining sales reports that some of us saw recently: https://www.kdpcommunity.com/s/article/Amazon-Marketing-Services-Sponsored-Product-Campaign-Reporting-Update?language=en

"As of May 3rd, were updating the reporting for Sponsored Products campaigns on Amazon Marketing Services for KDP authors. The update will remove purchases that were cancelled or declined within 72 hours of the initial purchase to help you better measure the effectiveness of your advertising.  Please refer to your KDP sales reports for your final sales numbers, which may be different from the number you see in your Amazon Marketing Services dashboard.

These changes are retroactive to January 1, 2018. As a result, you may see a change in advertising-attributed sales trends. This change does not affect your billing or royalties, or any campaign data prior to January 1st."

That explains some fluctuations I've been seeing in my AMS sales pages during this past month.  Thanks for posting it.  I would have thought I'd have received the notice in an email.

Philip

KBoards.com

• Advertisement