Author Topic: A New AMS Thread  (Read 100588 times)  

Offline Patty Jansen

• Sydney, Australia
  • Destroyer of Science Fiction
    • View Profile
    • Patty Jansen Author of SF and fantasy
Re: A New AMS Thread
« Reply #900 on: September 01, 2018, 06:18:59 am »
Dumb question, which may have been covered, but it's late and my brain is dead....  if we copy an ad, does it still have to go thru the 2-day approval process?  Or, since it had been approved and run previously, will it automatically go live?  I'm betting it's the former, but you never know....

I always copy all my ads, and they are approved within half an hour. In fact, in the few cases I can't copy an ad, I'm shocked by how long this takes.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Lennon

• View Profile
    « Reply #901 on: September 03, 2018, 06:02:31 pm »
    If I run an SP add on my kindle version of the book, will it count paperback sales as part of the estimated sales total?

Obviously if I am to judge if an add is doing well, I have to know if it's counting the $11.95 paperback in it's total or just the $3.99 Kindle version.

I'm doing automatic bidding, so I can't see the sales total for each keyword (which is how I used to tell if a paperback or Kindle version was sold)

Offline Abderian

• View Profile
      • JJ Green
    « Reply #902 on: September 03, 2018, 06:08:26 pm »
    If I run an SP add on my kindle version of the book, will it count paperback sales as part of the estimated sales total?

Obviously if I am to judge if an add is doing well, I have to know if it's counting the $11.95 paperback in it's total or just the $3.99 Kindle version.

I'm doing automatic bidding, so I can't see the sales total for each keyword (which is how I used to tell if a paperback or Kindle version was sold)

Yes, paperback sales appear as part of the total sales even if you're only advertising the ebook.

Offline Simon Haynes

• View Profile
      • spacejock.com.au
    « Reply #903 on: September 03, 2018, 09:55:42 pm »

I'd add 'eventually' to my reply.

I was selling one copy per day of a particular title per day, regular as clockwork. I fired up a new ad about 5 days ago, promptly sold four copies PLUS five paperback copies, and the AMS dash shows total sales of 9.95 versus a spend of $11.40

Royalty alone was $38 or so, which means the sales are closer to $95

Problem is, anyone looking at that ad would think it was just pouring money down the drain.

Also yWriter, free novel-writing software for Windows PCs. (Mac version in progress).
    SalesScanner, free KDP/Google Play/Kobo/Smashwords report analyser & aggregator.

Offline "Serious" ... but not really

• View Profile
    « Reply #904 on: September 04, 2018, 08:21:46 am »
    If you google How to Remove Keywords on AMS the result will show references to removing keywords but no such button exists. I guess it's easiest to copy the ad campaign but with the pointless keywords removed.
    Pausing doesn't affect the keyword count, which is the issue.

And there you go.  I did this same thing. But it does seem the hit rate of the good keywords seems to change. So adding an new ad seems to change the algo data as the algo uses the new ad. 

I am out of the game though now. I don't have enough books to be effective.  Seems fiction is super flooded now a days. I was getting plenty of impressions but near zero views. Oh well.

Offline CassieL

• View Profile
    « Reply #905 on: September 04, 2018, 08:58:40 am »
    Edited to say: Sorry guys. Based on new ownership at this site and their response to legitimate author concerns I've chosen to withdraw from participation here.
    « Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 11:54:15 am by Cassie Leigh »

8 Pen Names. Genres: Non-fiction, Speculative Fiction, Romance.

Offline A past poster

• View Profile
    « Reply #906 on: September 04, 2018, 04:06:35 pm »
    I paused a Product Interest ad on Aug.30. I know there is a time lag, but it was still running on Aug.31 so I decided to enable it but and changed the bid from 0.19 cents to 0.14 cents. The bid was 0.14 for one day. Then it went up to 0.17  for several days before settling on 0.16. After pausing the ad again yesterday, there were an additional 14 clicks for 0.16 cents.

Apparently pausing an ad or changing the price of a bid isn't respected (for lack of a better word). And to make matters even more frustrating, there is no way to contact them, at least none that I've found.

Offline JTriptych

• View Profile
    « Reply #907 on: September 04, 2018, 11:41:44 pm »
    Ugh, my AMS ACoS dropped like a rock on all ads pretty much overnight. They went from around 100% to 500%. Is this only happening to me?  ???

Offline morgancole

• View Profile
    « Reply #908 on: September 05, 2018, 07:50:56 am »
    So I just got this email from Amazon:

Good news/bad news situation. Good news, the UK console is WAY better than the junk that was under ams.amazon.com.

Bad news - despite what they say, all my campaigns are gone. That dashboard after logging in is empty. I hope they'll sort it.

Offline CassieL

• View Profile
    « Reply #909 on: September 05, 2018, 11:19:13 am »
    Edited to say: Sorry guys. Based on new ownership at this site and their response to legitimate author concerns I've chosen to withdraw from participation here.
    « Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 11:54:32 am by Cassie Leigh »

Offline morgancole

• View Profile
    « Reply #910 on: September 05, 2018, 11:48:51 am »
    Ya I read that email as them unifying their advertising (FINALLY) - but it seems that's too much to expect.

Offline Secret Pen Pal

• I don't agree to the TOS rights-grab. Exploitative
      • View Profile
    « Reply #911 on: September 05, 2018, 04:15:13 pm »
    Anarchist, thanks for the inspiration. I'm making sales, but my volume is nowhere near yours. The ads are recent, though. I'm curious, if you don't mind saying, how long it takes your ads to reach more than $200 in sales. I get frustated by the limited and lagging data on AMS--now called AA. Someone didn't think that through.

Online Anarchist

• Methodological individualist
      • View Profile
    « Reply #912 on: September 05, 2018, 07:09:18 pm »
    I'm curious, if you don't mind saying, how long it takes your ads to reach more than $200 in sales.

It depends on a lot of factors:

- how many keywords I'm bidding on
    - the topical relevance of the keywords
    - the size of my bids
    - whether a campaign is advertising ebooks or paperbacks

And as you implied, it's difficult to know for certain thanks to the data lag.

Some campaigns have passed the $200 mark within a week. And in some of those cases, it may have occurred within a few days. Impressions and clicks were high while sales were nonexistent for the first several days. Then, sales took off like a rocket without a corresponding rise in impressions and clicks. That suggests the sales data were delayed. The extent of the delay is always a mystery.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat." - Sun Tzu

Offline CassieL

• View Profile
    « Reply #913 on: September 06, 2018, 08:33:20 am »
    « Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 11:54:51 am by Cassie Leigh »

Offline KitSarge

• View Profile
    « Reply #914 on: September 06, 2018, 02:16:08 pm »
    New question:

I have an AMS ad that has been running about a year. It's still profitable by a decent margin, but sales are dropping off. Do I add to the daily budget in an attempt to pump it up? It hasn't used up the whole budget in many weeks, something it used to do on a regular basis. Currently the budget is $20 a day but has been spending a bit over $5 a day. You wouldn't kill an ad that's still profitable, right? Even if sales are much lower now than in January?

I copied an SP ad that was doing pretty well. I wanted to start a new ad b/c I ran out of keywords, but subsequent copies have failed to produce the same results, not to mention my CPC is much higher- I found I had to bid higher to get impressions. I unpaused the ad just to see what happens since my sales have been stagnant for two days after starting a new ad.  Based on my experience,  I wouldn't mess with it unless your sales tank, I guess.

Offline KitSarge

• View Profile
    « Reply #915 on: September 06, 2018, 02:17:46 pm »
    Is the website formerly known as AMS acting strange for anyone else? I'm trying to start a new ad but the page keeps freezing.

Offline Jena H

• North Carolina
    • Desperate character
      • View Profile
    « Reply #916 on: September 07, 2018, 06:28:13 am »
    Is the website formerly known as AMS acting strange for anyone else? I'm trying to start a new ad but the page keeps freezing.

I haven't noticed anything today, but I haven't been in the 'create ad' mode.

On another topic, things that make me go 'hmmm'....   I recently copied an ad--can't remember exactly what other steps I took, but I'm sure I tweaked a few keyword bids, starting out low.  I know that AMS also suggest some keywords, and I don't recall if I included those as well (altho IIRC they're usually so general and broad that they were practically useless).  Anyway, I just checked my stats, and as usual, I sorted the campaign info in various ways. When I sorted by bid, high to low, I saw that one of my highest-bid keywords is a phrase that I don't recognize.  I don't think I added the keyword myself, since I have no idea what it is, and Googling the phrase brings up a result of a "classic" book (again, that I've never heard of), and which does not seem to be suited to the MG audience that I'm trying to attract.  Therefore, it's NOT a book I would have chosen to use as a keyword.

If the keyword is in my ad, it's not because I chose it.  If I did include Amazon-suggested keywords, it must have been in that group.  And if so, it's not a keyword that's appropriate to my book.  Has anyone else had something like this happen?

ETA:  I just checked my older version of the ad, the one I copied, and this phrase/book title isn't in that ad.  And I know I didn't add it when I copied, so.......      ::)
    « Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 06:29:57 am by Jena H »
    Jena

Offline SGarland

• View Profile
    « Reply #917 on: September 07, 2018, 07:38:18 am »
    Phew, I've made it to the end of this thread. My brain is spinning with new information and a million dumb questions. Thanks so much to everyone who generously shares information here! I appreciate it.

I just started running my first ad, it's been live for about 24 hours now, and I'm still seeing zero impressions. Am I still in a lag window before the data becomes available for me to see? Or are my bids too low? Am I doing something else wrong?

Offline Jena H

• North Carolina
    • Desperate character
      • View Profile
    « Reply #918 on: September 07, 2018, 07:58:21 am »
    Phew, I've made it to the end of this thread. My brain is spinning with new information and a million dumb questions. Thanks so much to everyone who generously shares information here! I appreciate it.

I just started running my first ad, it's been live for about 24 hours now, and I'm still seeing zero impressions. Am I still in a lag window before the data becomes available for me to see? Or are my bids too low? Am I doing something else wrong?

There's a lag time of a few days before data trickles in, so let it sit until about Monday.
    Jena

Offline AliceS

• View Profile
    « Reply #919 on: September 07, 2018, 08:07:11 am »
    I ran an ad with low bids for a week to test out some authors...no impressions at all. I guess .10 is just too low for them to even consider.  Trying another one at .25 and very low impressions so far.

Offline Rising Sun

• View Profile
    « Reply #920 on: September 07, 2018, 09:38:19 am »

Hving trouble with a new SP ad setup interface. When creating new SP ads on KDP AMS platform the system fails to bring up title image, title name and star rating in the CREATIVE section. It does fine on initial selection of title to advertise but fails in the actual ad languaging section. I tried several times. Finally I went ahead and submitted the ad. Ad was approved and theoretically running but with no image or text or title (Go Figure how that works) So far no impressions at 8 hours of running.

I reported it...waiting to see what happens.
    believing in love, revolution and that radical is the new sensible
    Rivera Sun | Website | Twitter | Facebook

Offline SGarland

• View Profile
    « Reply #921 on: September 07, 2018, 12:00:22 pm »
    There's a lag time of a few days before data trickles in, so let it sit until about Monday.

Thank you! I'll do so.

Offline Acrocanthosaurus

• View Profile
    « Reply #922 on: September 08, 2018, 08:59:32 am »
    All of my ads appear to have stopped serving. Anyone else having such an issue?

Offline JDMatheny

• View Profile
      • Website
    « Reply #923 on: September 08, 2018, 11:19:35 am »
    I received notice a few days ago that my credit card was unable to be charged so all ads were paused. I know the card is fine, I've ordered several items from Amazon with it over the last couple days.  I switched cards just to get it going and that was denied, as well.  So there's a quirk I'm dealing with.

Page reads dropped down to 2 yesterday and 0 today.

J.D.Matheny

Offline Secret Pen Pal

• I don't agree to the TOS rights-grab. Exploitative
      • View Profile
    « Reply #924 on: September 08, 2018, 11:30:08 am »
    Thanks, Anarchist. I'll add more ads and look for some patience. Mine are for recent ebooks. They turn on fast, but so far, the results aren't stellar.

I get frustrated with the next-to-worthless reporting and end up pausing them. I've had books do fine without AMS. So far, it's possible that the ads are helping, but the performance isn't much different from my books that don't have AMS ads.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement