Author Topic: A New AMS Thread  (Read 102043 times)  

Offline Jena H

• North Carolina
  • Desperate character
    • View Profile
Re: A New AMS Thread
« Reply #950 on: October 26, 2018, 03:26:19 pm »
Thinking out loud here....  your concern about using the same keywords is that both books would be advertised to (more or less) the same people, not reaching a wider audience than you already have, and readers might think they've already seen the book (since the covers are similar)?

Why don't you use a couple of new (original) keywords for the second book.  Presumably you've already (or think you have already) used all the relevant keywords for the 1st book, but try something different for the 2nd one.  Maybe add in something tangential like "SEAL Team TV show" or some other words that are semi-related, like perhaps the name of a particular Navy group.  (My in-laws go to some reunion every year for the ship FIL served on... maybe the name of a ship or chopper or plane or something.)
Jena

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Gregg Bell

• Itasca, Illinois
      • View Profile
      • greggbell.net
    « Reply #951 on: October 27, 2018, 08:40:04 pm »
    Thinking out loud here....  your concern about using the same keywords is that both books would be advertised to (more or less) the same people, not reaching a wider audience than you already have, and readers might think they've already seen the book (since the covers are similar)?

Thanks Jena. I really hadn't figured what was bothering me about it but the way you put it pretty much is what I was concerned about. But I also felt like maybe some of the people that bought the first book might see the second one and buy it.

Why don't you use a couple of new (original) keywords for the second book.  Presumably you've already (or think you have already) used all the relevant keywords for the 1st book, but try something different for the 2nd one.  Maybe add in something tangential like "SEAL Team TV show" or some other words that are semi-related, like perhaps the name of a particular Navy group.  (My in-laws go to some reunion every year for the ship FIL served on... maybe the name of a ship or chopper or plane or something.)

That's a good suggestion. Makes sense.

Offline StephenBrennan

• Vancouver, BC
      • View Profile
      • Stephen Brennan.ca
    « Reply #952 on: October 28, 2018, 12:32:47 pm »
    Thought this article on possible reasons for low impressions was interesting: https://sellics.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001057853-Impressions

Stephen Brennan | www.stephenbrennan.ca

Offline Jena H

• North Carolina
    • Desperate character
      • View Profile
    « Reply #953 on: November 01, 2018, 06:56:11 pm »
    Has anyone had any experience running an ad for a book other than the first-in-series?  I'm thinking of doing that, and wonder what the upside/downside might be.
    Jena

Offline BillyDeCarlo

• View Profile
      • Billy DeCarlo, Author
    « Reply #954 on: November 02, 2018, 04:23:07 am »
    Has anyone had any experience running an ad for a book other than the first-in-series?  I'm thinking of doing that, and wonder what the upside/downside might be.

It's very unlikely to pay off unless you raise the price significantly. Of course that's all dependent on your cover, blurb, story, ratings, etc. But in most cases, it doesn't work out profitably unless you've got a series and back catalog for readers to buy after they've enjoyed your book (read-through).

All available WIDE!
    Billy DeCarlo | Website/blog | Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Amazon | BookBub

Offline MajesticMonkey

• View Profile
    « Reply #955 on: November 02, 2018, 07:53:22 am »
    Weird.... I  checked my ads and where ads said I previously made $1000 (for example) in sales it now only reports halve of that. It's the case for a bunch of older ads. But all my best running ads pretty much have only halve the sales they used to have.

Also, is there any solution to ads that have slowed down a lot? And aren't getting as many impressions / clicks as they used to?

Offline StephenBrennan

• Vancouver, BC
      • View Profile
      • Stephen Brennan.ca
    « Reply #956 on: November 02, 2018, 08:05:34 am »
    Weird.... I  checked my ads and where ads said I previously made $1000 (for example) in sales it now only reports halve of that. It's the case for a bunch of older ads. But all my best running ads pretty much have only halve the sales they used to have.

Also, is there any solution to ads that have slowed down a lot? And aren't getting as many impressions / clicks as they used to?

There's confirmation from AMS support that something's buggered in their system and affecting most ads. If you write to them about it, they may or may not admit it depending on the tech you get. But one author posted the response on Facebook.

Basically, don't be too quick to make a bunch of changes right now.

Stephen Brennan | www.stephenbrennan.ca

Offline Gregg Bell

• Itasca, Illinois
      • View Profile
      • greggbell.net
    « Reply #957 on: November 10, 2018, 03:07:07 pm »
    I guess I'll chill too. (After reading Stephen's post.) I had a keyword at .31 bid on Nov. 5. (Before that it was at .39.) I checked next today (Nov. 10) and there were four clicks since Nov. 5 at a spend increase of 1.54, which is .385 per click.

Hopefully things will get more accurate soon.

Offline Jena H

• North Carolina
    • Desperate character
      • View Profile
    « Reply #958 on: November 27, 2018, 02:52:23 pm »
    I think this matter has been debated before, but I honestly can't remember the prevailing wisdom, or if anything might have changed since the last discussion:

I plan to run an ad for December, leading up to the holiday and into the New Year.  Now, I had an ad for the same book that did very well for a few months, then eventually lost efficacy, to the point where I had to pause it.  I did copy that ad (keywords and all) and run it for a while, but that copied ad never reached the same success, so I paused that one, too.

Bottom line:  more effective to A) un-pause an ad that was once effective, or B) copy that once-effective ad, even though a previous attempt at that didn't work out too well, or C) start a new ad from scratch, using some of the better keywords from the successful ad?

I understand that 'Zon's algorithms of showing ads comes into play at some point, in some way, but to be honest, I don't understand the hows and whys of it.   ??? 
    Jena

Offline azebra

• New Zealand
      • View Profile
      • You Say Which Way
    « Reply #959 on: November 27, 2018, 11:58:27 pm »
    None of my ads are for the first in a series. I do have lots of others in the brand but there is no order to read them. The upside is you can't be fooled by a poor ad, it has to make you money.

Offline rikatz

• View Profile
    « Reply #960 on: December 10, 2018, 08:54:40 am »

I've put ads in for every book in both of my series. The ads for the first one definitely do the best but most of the rest have also resulted in impressions, clicks and sales, very often for the first in the series rather than for the being that is actually being advertised.

Robert I. Katz | website | blog

Offline Jena H

• North Carolina
    • Desperate character
      • View Profile
    « Reply #961 on: December 10, 2018, 02:52:36 pm »

I've put ads in for every book in both of my series. The ads for the first one definitely do the best but most of the rest have also resulted in impressions, clicks and sales, very often for the first in the series rather than for the being that is actually being advertised.

Just above your post is someone responding to one of my posts, asking the exact same question.   8)  I asked a while ago, and have since wimped out and re-started one of my older ads, for the first-in-series book.
    Jena

Offline MajesticMonkey

• View Profile
    « Reply #962 on: December 11, 2018, 08:29:36 pm »
    Has anyone tried 'Custom text ad' vs 'Standard ad'? Basically 'text' vs 'no text' under your cover.

If so what did find?
    « Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 08:31:59 pm by MajesticMonkey »

Offline Jena H

• North Carolina
    • Desperate character
      • View Profile
    « Reply #963 on: December 12, 2018, 05:13:57 am »
    Has anyone tried 'Custom text ad' vs 'Standard ad'? Basically 'text' vs 'no text' under your cover.

If so what did find?

So... the ad would be simply your book cover, and no text beneath?  That seems, well, an odd marketing strategy.
    Jena

Offline Arches

• View Profile
      • Michael Arches
    « Reply #964 on: December 12, 2018, 08:22:25 am »

If so what did find?

If I browse sponsored ads, I rarely come across one with no ad copy, so a few people are trying it out. I have no idea whether it works, but if you have a killer cover, it might be enough. Even then, it seems a shame not to say something to coax readers into clicking. By the way, my best performing AMS ad is in the UK where none of the sponsored ads contain ad copy for some reason.

• Ontario, Canada
    • I should probably be writing...
      • View Profile
    « Reply #965 on: December 12, 2018, 12:02:59 pm »
    The no ad copy people are those using the Amazon Advantage dashboard. You can't actually put copy in those ads from that dashboard.

Offline Arches

• View Profile
      • Michael Arches
    « Reply #966 on: December 12, 2018, 12:47:08 pm »
    The no ad copy people are those using the Amazon Advantage dashboard. You can't actually put copy in those ads from that dashboard.

That sounds likely, but you also have the option to omit ad copy when starting a new ad on the Amazon Advertising (was AMS) website.

Offline MajesticMonkey

• View Profile
    « Reply #967 on: December 12, 2018, 01:10:47 pm »
    How can we get access to the Amazon Advantage dashboard? I want to use that setup as it has some killer features (data) the simplified KDP version doesn't have. 

• Ontario, Canada
    • I should probably be writing...
      • View Profile
    « Reply #968 on: December 12, 2018, 03:56:49 pm »
    That sounds likely, but you also have the option to omit ad copy when starting a new ad on the Amazon Advertising (was AMS) website.

Well, true. I'm just saying that's why you'll see more of it.

Offline cjmichaels

• View Profile
    « Reply #969 on: December 12, 2018, 07:13:29 pm »

If so what did find?

I get much better results with no text. I don't know if this is because I write crappy copy or because the ads appear in different (more) places.

Offline Arches

• View Profile
      • Michael Arches
    « Reply #970 on: December 13, 2018, 07:30:18 am »
    I get much better results with no text. I don't know if this is because I write crappy copy or because the ads appear in different (more) places.

Interesting. I'll give it a try.

Offline MajesticMonkey

• View Profile
    « Reply #971 on: January 08, 2019, 02:20:19 am »
    Two quick questions:

* When comparing sales figures in the new ams dash with the ones in your regular dashboards there's about a 12% difference in $ value. So if the AMS dash says I have sold 500 usd (for easy math), my regular dash says 440 usd sold. (I wanted to see what part of my ads contribute to total sales.)

* Someone reported here a few days ago about amazon going over their max CPC. That seems to have happened to a few of my keywords on a new ad. (And yes Bid+ is off.) Hope that doesn't become a trend. Just wanted to mention it so people can keep an eye on it.

Offline A past poster

• View Profile
    « Reply #972 on: January 08, 2019, 06:44:04 am »

* Someone reported here a few days ago about amazon going over their max CPC. That seems to have happened to a few of my keywords on a new ad. (And yes Bid+ is off.) Hope that doesn't become a trend. Just wanted to mention it so people can keep an eye on it.
    You should take a screen shot every day, especially if you use Product Interest ads.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement