Author Topic: A New AMS Thread  (Read 100572 times)  

Offline Jena H

• North Carolina
  • Desperate character
    • View Profile
Re: A New AMS Thread
« Reply #750 on: June 27, 2018, 05:04:45 pm »
As I mentioned a few weeks ago, I paused a long-running ad, because it had somewhat stalled and started costing more than it earned.  As the Independence Day holiday approaches, I'm tweaking some keywords (and adding a few) and will unpause the ad later this week.  The book has relevance to the Revolutionary War, so that's why I'm focusing on the holiday.  (Plus, it's the middle of summer, and who doesn't like a good book to read while on vacation??  8))  As always with this ad, my main goal is to sell paperbacks.  And of course read-through to subsequent books in the series.

Well, I think I discovered why my ad began to spend more money than it made.  And I'm an idiot.  Instead of changing one of my keyword bids to $0.20, I inadvertently changed it to $20.  :-[  :o  >:(   *head-desk*

Now, if you'll pardon me, I'm going to go rig up a way to kick myself in the butt repeatedly.   

Note to self:  each time I tweak keywords and bids, always run a 'sort' by bid, and be sure none of them are over $1.
Jena

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline MichaelRyan

• View Profile
    « Reply #751 on: June 30, 2018, 08:35:07 am »
    Question regarding rejected ads.

So, my method right now:

Submit ads.
    Half are rejected.
    Re-submit same ad.
    Half are rejected.
    Re-submit same ad.
    Half are rejected.

Eventually, it seems, I get them all running.

Same exact ad, I mean I literally open from the "edit" button (rename the SP again because it defaults--annoyingly--unlike the PD ads which retain their name like a stubborn step-child) and resubmit the campaign....

It's such a stupid waste of time.

Is there a workaround to this?  Or is it just what it is?

Never say never, except on Tuesdays.
    Michael Ryan | Facebook

Offline Dpock

• North Idaho
      • View Profile
    « Reply #752 on: June 30, 2018, 09:24:58 am »
    I normally get 50-70 clicks in a 24 hour period. In the past 15 hours, I've received 200. Has anyone else noticed a big jump today?

Offline MichaelRyan

• View Profile
    « Reply #753 on: June 30, 2018, 10:33:03 am »
    I normally get 50-70 clicks in a 24 hour period. In the past 15 hours, I've received 200. Has anyone else noticed a big jump today?

A new SP ad I created only yesterday has 800 clicks as of now, which was surprisingly fast.
    However, I attributed it to a high bid more than anything, but we'll see.

Michael Ryan | Facebook

Offline Dpock

• North Idaho
      • View Profile
    « Reply #754 on: June 30, 2018, 10:39:08 am »
    A new SP ad I created only yesterday has 800 clicks as of now, which was surprisingly fast.
    However, I attributed it to a high bid more than anything, but we'll see.

Indeed, unless you mean "impressions".

Offline MichaelRyan

• View Profile
    « Reply #755 on: June 30, 2018, 10:45:40 am »
    Indeed, unless you mean "impressions".

Yeah, that's a typo....hahahaha...I wish I meant 800 clicks...

Michael Ryan | Facebook

Offline CassieL

• View Profile
    « Reply #756 on: June 30, 2018, 12:01:02 pm »
    Edited to say: Sorry guys. Based on new ownership at this site and their response to legitimate author concerns I've chosen to withdraw from participation here.
    « Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 11:48:43 am by Cassie Leigh »

8 Pen Names. Genres: Non-fiction, Speculative Fiction, Romance.

Offline rcullison

• View Profile
    « Reply #757 on: July 02, 2018, 01:32:19 pm »
    My old ad was anemic (44k impressions for only 16 clicks), so I paused it, copied it, put in new ad copy, and started a new campaign.

The new one was clearly more effective (16k impressions for 11 clicks, and if I remove a nonperforming keyword with 4k impressions and 0 clicks, it looks even better) and I was seeing some KU borrows and page reads, and figured I'd done a good job improving things. My rank was improving, my other numbers were going up.

But then it just died on the vine. A week has passed and it's still in the 16,000's, with less than 50 impressions coming in each day. I made no changes, though since then I've tried upping my bids to get it going again, with no luck. This bread is toast.

What the heck happened? Did Amazon decide my keywords were misleading or something? Did that bad keyword with lots of impressions but no clicks make them think my ad sucked?

Should I pause it for a while? Should I copy it (again), remove that one keyword, and try again?

Russell Cullison | blog | goodreads

Offline Dpock

• North Idaho
      • View Profile
    « Reply #758 on: July 02, 2018, 01:42:04 pm »
    Some people have speculated that the removal of various bad hatters from Amazon would result in cheaper ad costs. </quote]

Or higher too in a roundabout way. I have a few keywords that never got clicks and suddenly clicks for them are through the roof. I believe it's because they're no longer buried by high black hatter bids.

Offline MichaelRyan

• View Profile
    « Reply #759 on: July 05, 2018, 10:36:44 am »
    Some people have speculated that the removal of various bad hatters from Amazon would result in cheaper ad costs.

Not sure why people would think this.

Imagine you're making a million a year.  Amazon bans you.

Do you go become a used car salesman?  Or do you simply ramp up one of your other pen names that was established previously on an entirely different platform with no link between persona A and persona B?

If anything, the new platforms are causing bids to go up.  Again, imagine you're used to doing a million a year.

You have money in the bank, obviously.

Amazon bans your account.

What are you going to do with your Account B?  Start bidding like crazy would be my course of action, to re-establish my presence with the new pen name.

Having been playing this game for only a few weeks, I can see what the big players in the genres I'm attacking are doing and I can get close guesses to what their bids are.

So the game is now one of playing chicken.  I bid X plus a penny.....so-and-so bids X plus 2 pennies.....and so it goes....until someone says, "Okay, that ROI is too low for me."

Of course Amazon is laughing all the way to the bank.

Michael Ryan | Facebook

Offline MichaelRyan

• View Profile
    « Reply #760 on: July 05, 2018, 10:39:12 am »
    What are they giving you for the reason?

It's the phrase "NY Times bestselling author" mostly.

Also they nailed a few ads for using the series name in all-caps, but I think that's more minor.  The series name is all caps and NY Times is a valid claim, so it's just a matter of re-submitting over and over.

We did send CS an email to ask if there could be some way to not have to do it like this....so we'll see.

Michael Ryan | Facebook

Offline ZanaHart

• View Profile
      • Zana Hart: Memoirs and Cozy Mysteries
    « Reply #761 on: July 05, 2018, 02:51:33 pm »
    So despite the hassles, authors who are using it, do you still recommend it?

ZanaHart

Offline KelliWolfe

• View Profile
    « Reply #762 on: July 05, 2018, 03:29:17 pm »
    I've had a $4 cap on one of my romance first in series since I started advertising it last year. I think it has topped out maybe half a dozen times until now. Over the past few days it has been topping out daily, despite doubling the ad cap. Something has definitely changed. As with everything else, it's both more expensive and more difficult to get the same visibility in AMS as it was a year ago. But I've turned off the ads to test and I make more money with them than without them.

For that series I run ads on each individual book. They're all more or less standalones in a shared setting with shared characters, though, so any book can be an entry point. It seems to work pretty well. If it was a strict chronological series I'd probably only run ads on the first and last book.

Olivia Blake | Lessons in Love

Offline Jena H

• North Carolina
    • Desperate character
      • View Profile
    « Reply #763 on: July 05, 2018, 04:43:54 pm »
    I restarted my ad late last week.  So far the gap between spend and sales has not narrowed appreciatively.    :'(
    Jena

Offline Superchaise

• USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #764 on: July 08, 2018, 02:25:02 pm »
    EDIT by Superchaise: Removed long-winded rant about a super-specific problem.

Edit 2: Jena H, I'm sorry to hear that about your restarted ad. I'm having similar problems on my end. AMS is really taking a lot of time out of my schedule (not to mention what it's taking out of my pocket, at least temporarily)!
    « Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 04:46:48 pm by Superchaise »

Offline Anarchist

• Methodological individualist
      • View Profile
    « Reply #765 on: July 09, 2018, 06:10:51 am »
    In my opinion, the reason so many people are having trouble getting their sponsored product (keyword) AMS ads to earn out is because they're doing what everyone else is doing.

It's like being a gladiator, and grabbing a scutum and short sword to compete. That merely puts you on a level playing field. No advantage. The victor is the one who grabs the only assault rifle on the rack.

Here's an image of a few of my campaigns:

Yes, the figures are small. But I have nearly 1,000 active campaigns, and I'm building more every week. And I can guarantee my competition is paying a lot more for clicks (we talk).

The key is to zig when others zag. That goes for keywords, ad copy, sales funnels, etc.

The above ACoS numbers are sorted by smallest. The majority of my other campaigns are close, mostly because my competition isn't where I am.

Also, notice that some sales are for paperbacks. In my opinion, a lot of authors are missing an opportunity by not promoting print in their AMS campaigns.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 06:18:34 am by Anarchist »
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat." - Sun Tzu

Offline KelliWolfe

• View Profile
    « Reply #766 on: July 09, 2018, 09:45:40 am »
    Looks lovely, but what constitutes zigging while others zag? We're all doing these ads. The keywords that pay off for my ads remain the same, even though I try new ones fairly often.

Are your books romance or women's fiction? Because I can't get any notice in those categories without bidding very high. BookBub even told me my bids were too low on one CPC ad--and basically didn't serve it at all. BB flat out said bids should be between 30 and 60 cents. That's too much for a $2.99 romance, but it can work for a $5.99 women's fiction. Just barely, if the cover and blurb are right so the click-to-buy ratio pans out.

I'm leery of stopping and starting my AMS ads; there's been so much anecdotal evidence that the ads just don't re-start.

I'm running a BB ad right now on top of an AMS ad. It seems to be helping, but only with Amazon sales this time around. Topping them off, as it were, whereas scaling up the AMS ad for the same book has not produced additional sales. If I thought I could get steady ad results from running the BB ad continuously, I would drop my daily budget for the AMS ad on that title. But so many BB ads are for discounted books that I'm afraid that audience is getting trained to expect the same level of discount they get in the main BB newsletter featured ads.
    I bumped my BB ads for my YA and contemporary romance set to 40 cents and I still can't get any impressions. That's close to three times what I'm paying for clicks in AMS, and it's a fast way to go broke.

Olivia Blake | Lessons in Love

Offline Rollie38

• View Profile
    « Reply #767 on: July 09, 2018, 01:28:05 pm »
    When using ATM (Automatic Targeting) is it possible to download a report of keywords and the ACOS, similar to a targeted campaign?  I've found numerous threads of sellers claiming they've done this, but none in the KDP realm.

Thanks in advance!

Chuck Driskell

Offline CasperValentine

• View Profile
    « Reply #768 on: July 09, 2018, 02:02:11 pm »
    I bumped my BB ads for my YA and contemporary romance set to 40 cents and I still can't get any impressions. That's close to three times what I'm paying for clicks in AMS, and it's a fast way to go broke.

Same here. There doesn't seem to be any middle ground on impressions. You can bid 40 cents and only get impressions in the double digits but bid 65 cents and get thousands. I can generate sales from BB but with the high CPC I've yet to be cost-effective.

Casper Valentine | facebook

Offline CassieL

• View Profile
    « Reply #769 on: July 09, 2018, 02:23:05 pm »
    Edited to say: Sorry guys. Based on new ownership at this site and their response to legitimate author concerns I've chosen to withdraw from participation here.
    « Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 11:49:08 am by Cassie Leigh »

8 Pen Names. Genres: Non-fiction, Speculative Fiction, Romance.

Offline Rollie38

• View Profile
    « Reply #770 on: July 09, 2018, 02:34:56 pm »
    If you have an Advantage account you can. I can't do it using KDP to access AMS, though.

Cassie, thanks a bunch.  I couldn't find anything anywhere.

Chuck Driskell

Offline Jena H

• North Carolina
    • Desperate character
      • View Profile
    « Reply #771 on: July 17, 2018, 03:27:59 pm »

I was just thinking about Bookbub ads, which is why I came to this thread today, as a matter of fact.  But this doesn't sound promising.  I would assume (might be totally off-base, though) that romance is very popular on BB, so if you're not having much luck with YA & contemp romance ads, then I would have no chance at all.  (I don't write romance, although I have a couple of "love stories" or "relationship books.")

So yeah, I came to get an idea of what are the hottest, most popular genres to advertise on BB.  But it sounds like BB ads might not be any more cost-effective than AMS ads.  I had to pause my long-running AMS ad again because it's still not performing at a profit anymore.  Rather than resume it, I think I'll end up copying it and do a new one.

(Still wanted to hit the BB audience, though.  Darn.   :( )
    Jena

Offline Harald

• me gusta nadar
      • View Profile
    « Reply #772 on: July 17, 2018, 05:36:42 pm »
    I was just thinking about Bookbub ads, which is why I came to this thread today, as a matter of fact.  But this doesn't sound promising.  ... (Still wanted to hit the BB audience, though.  Darn.   :( )

Don't give up on BB ads yet. The key is to test hard and fast and judge the results. BB are incredibly responsive. I'm following David Gaughran's advice: (1) do CPM vs. CPC; (2) bid on the upper end of the range they suggest; (3) do single-day tests; (4) select "fill as quickly as possible"; (5) put in a small Max Daily Budget (e.g., $10), and then just see what happens. You'll know within hours (sometimes before noon) if you have a winner or loser.

Offline Jena H

• North Carolina
    • Desperate character
      • View Profile
    « Reply #773 on: July 17, 2018, 06:26:11 pm »
    Don't give up on BB ads yet. The key is to test hard and fast and judge the results. BB are incredibly responsive. I'm following David Gaughran's advice: (1) do CPM vs. CPC; (2) bid on the upper end of the range they suggest; (3) do single-day tests; (4) select "fill as quickly as possible"; (5) put in a small Max Daily Budget (e.g., $10), and then just see what happens. You'll know within hours (sometimes before noon) if you have a winner or loser.

I'm not really good at doing comparison ads or testing.  Although my AMS ads usually have daily budges of $2 or $3, so the "small daily budget" thing is under control.  8)  I may try a BB ad soon.  (Just hope they're easier to create than FB ads, which as I recall were a pain in the backside.)
    Jena

Offline CasperValentine

• View Profile
    « Reply #774 on: July 18, 2018, 06:57:17 am »
    Please explain how using CPM is going to beat that. I know others have said it, but I don't really grasp the concept.

I concur with you here. For the CPM option, it says "Other partners are on average bidding $6.00 to $10" per 1000 impressions. I toyed with it by starting with a low bid and raising it until I started getting impressions. I had to go up to $2.51 to get a 1000 impressions. It ended up averaging me $1.50 per click. I walked away from that experiment!

Casper Valentine | facebook

KBoards.com

• Advertisement