Author Topic: A New AMS Thread  (Read 99687 times)  

Offline Secret Pen Pal

• I don't agree to the TOS rights-grab. Exploitative
    • View Profile
Re: A New AMS Thread
« Reply #925 on: September 08, 2018, 11:32:47 am »
Arcanthosaurus, I have six acitive ads that seem to be behaving, although not in an exciting fashion.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Rising Sun

• View Profile
    « Reply #926 on: September 12, 2018, 10:14:22 am »
    Hving trouble with a new SP ad setup interface. When creating new SP ads on KDP AMS platform the system fails to bring up title image, title name and star rating in the CREATIVE section. It does fine on initial selection of title to advertise but fails in the actual ad languaging section. I tried several times. Finally I went ahead and submitted the ad. Ad was approved and theoretically running but with no image or text or title (Go Figure how that works) So far no impressions at 8 hours of running.

I reported it...waiting to see what happens.

KDP AMS kept telling me the ad was fine....I still couldn't see it on ad preview or on setup, they swore they could see it and it was serving. Finally hit me to unblock ads on the new Amazon.advertising website. My ad blocker was turned off for the old AMS website but not the new site. Magically the problem was solved
    believing in love, revolution and that radical is the new sensible
    Rivera Sun | Website | Twitter | Facebook

Offline erikhanberg

• Tacoma, WA
    • Author, Parks Commissioner
      • View Profile
    « Reply #927 on: September 14, 2018, 01:09:04 am »
    KDP AMS kept telling me the ad was fine....I still couldn't see it on ad preview or on setup, they swore they could see it and it was serving. Finally hit me to unblock ads on the new Amazon.advertising website. My ad blocker was turned off for the old AMS website but not the new site. Magically the problem was solved

Yep. Same thing happened to me. Dont forget to whitelist the advertising.amazon.com site in your adblocker!

Offline Jena H

• North Carolina
    • Desperate character
      • View Profile
    « Reply #928 on: September 14, 2018, 03:24:57 am »

Yes, I was going to suggest turning off ad-blocker.  I had the same issue a while back: couldn't see ad preview.  Finally I turned off ad-blocker for that site, and ... voila! ... I could see the preview.   8)
    Jena

Offline Secret Pen Pal

• I don't agree to the TOS rights-grab. Exploitative
      • View Profile
    « Reply #929 on: September 14, 2018, 03:51:08 am »
    I needed to update my CC address. Card worked every place else. You might check that. Once I did that in the AMS dash, it went through.
    I received notice a few days ago that my credit card was unable to be charged so all ads were paused. I know the card is fine, I've ordered several items from Amazon with it over the last couple days.  I switched cards just to get it going and that was denied, as well.  So there's a quirk I'm dealing with.

Page reads dropped down to 2 yesterday and 0 today.

Offline erikhanberg

• Tacoma, WA
    • Author, Parks Commissioner
      • View Profile
    « Reply #930 on: September 15, 2018, 11:55:30 am »
    Here's something I haven't seen before. I have a book in KU and one AMS ad for it. For some reason, the ad is only generating paperback sales. I confirmed it's a Kindle link just to be sure and it is going to Kindle. From what I can tell, no page reads from it either. Really odd!
    « Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 12:35:33 pm by erikhanberg »

Offline JDMatheny

• View Profile
      • Website
    « Reply #931 on: September 15, 2018, 06:32:21 pm »
    I needed to update my CC address. Card worked every place else. You might check that. Once I did that in the AMS dash, it went through.

It magically fixed itself while I was trying to figure it out :)

J.D.Matheny

Offline lcolt1

• View Profile
    « Reply #932 on: September 16, 2018, 08:24:21 am »
    Noob question. I just started my first AMS ad campaign on Friday. Results are starting to trickle in and I decided to change some of my bids last night (I know, impatient much?). I hit launch and it said my new campaign was under review, so it looked like I'd duplicated my original campaign, except with a handful of bids altered. Checked this morning and, yep, that's what I'd done. I terminated the new one, but how do I edit bids without making a new ad campaign?

Offline StephenBrennan

• Vancouver, BC
      • View Profile
      • Stephen Brennan.ca
    « Reply #933 on: September 16, 2018, 08:43:50 am »
    Noob question. I just started my first AMS ad campaign on Friday. Results are starting to trickle in and I decided to change some of my bids last night (I know, impatient much?). I hit launch and it said my new campaign was under review, so it looked like I'd duplicated my original campaign, except with a handful of bids altered. Checked this morning and, yep, that's what I'd done. I terminated the new one, but how do I edit bids without making a new ad campaign?

If you click on the campaign name, there should just be a list of keywords, each with a "CPC Bid" field. Not entirely sure how you ended up with a second campaign, but if it happens again maybe take some screenshots of the particular screen you're on and post them for us.

Stephen Brennan | www.stephenbrennan.ca

Offline lcolt1

• View Profile
    « Reply #934 on: September 16, 2018, 08:50:35 am »
    Thanks Stephen. I might have just jumped the gun. A list of keywords with individual data showed up today, so it sounds like that's where I need to be. The changes I made last night were in my original form. Learning as I go.

Offline StephenBrennan

• Vancouver, BC
      • View Profile
      • Stephen Brennan.ca
    « Reply #935 on: September 16, 2018, 08:54:53 am »
    I started a new AMS campaign about a week ago, after not bothering with them for the past year. Since it began, I've experienced a steady stream of KU sales. Nothing dramatic or wildly successful, but steady, which is more than I got out of AMS in the past.

Naturally I've tried to build on that success by adding additional keywords. But I'm paranoid about adding too much fat to the campaign. I know from past experience that the campaign will just stop working without explanation if it doesn't get enough clicks to impressions. But I also don't want to cut loose any keywords that might somehow be bearing fruit. AMS can be a little opaque in that regard. I can't even be truly sure that my recent sales are due to the ad.

What criteria do you use to deactivate a keyword?

Offline Jena H

• North Carolina
    • Desperate character
      • View Profile
    « Reply #936 on: September 16, 2018, 09:09:09 am »
    Thanks Stephen. I might have just jumped the gun. A list of keywords with individual data showed up today, so it sounds like that's where I need to be. The changes I made last night were in my original form. Learning as I go.

Yeah, when you look at your ad data with all the keywords, if you click in an individual "CPC Bid," for example, $0.25, the bid amount will be highlighted, and two boxes appear at the right:  Save, or Cancel.  You can change the bid, then click Save.

**BE SURE your decimal point is in the right place.  I once accidentally left a keyword bid at about $20 instead of $0.20.    :o
    Jena

Offline lcolt1

• View Profile
    « Reply #937 on: September 16, 2018, 11:17:59 am »
    Thanks Jena.   :) I hadn't gotten far enough to see that yet.

Offline a15184

• View Profile
    « Reply #938 on: September 17, 2018, 04:00:48 pm »
    Hi guys,

Noob here and my first post on the forum. (Great info by the way!)

I've just started a couple of automatic campaigns in AMS and I was wondering if there is any way to get the search terms that the customers used and which triggered the ad? I know for a fact that if you're selling other items rather than kindle books on Amazon (using seller central to sell and manage advertisement campaigns), you can get a Excel report for automatic campaigns that gives you this info, but I can't seem to find it using the advertisement console for kindle ebook campaigns. Do the keywords show up with time? or simply there is no advanced reporting for automatic campaigns?

Thanks in advance

Offline CassieL

• View Profile
    « Reply #939 on: September 17, 2018, 04:20:49 pm »
    Edited to say: Sorry guys. Based on new ownership at this site and their response to legitimate author concerns I've chosen to withdraw from participation here.
    « Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 11:55:19 am by Cassie Leigh »

8 Pen Names. Genres: Non-fiction, Speculative Fiction, Romance.

Offline lcolt1

• View Profile
    « Reply #940 on: September 28, 2018, 09:12:57 am »
    Any thoughts on what's going on with my ad?

Book released Sept 14th and my first ad started the same day. I have nothing to gauge it by other than what I'm learning here (I'm only part way thru the old posts so far) but seemed to me, based on the 'at least 1 click per 1k impressions' advice here, it was doing well for about 10 days. At the end of week one, I had 33,000+ impressions, 46 clicks (mainly off about 1/2 dozen keywords performing really well). About 10 days in, I had about 42-44k/61. But about 4 or 5 days ago, everything slowed to a trickle. Today marks 2 weeks and I have 47k/66 (also no new sales and no page reads for days).

The no sales, I can maybe see as I ended my promo week sale on the 22nd and raised the price of the ebook to $3.99. It might affect clicks (tho I wouldn't expect by this much) but I see no reason that should affect impressions (or page reads). I did change my book description slightly, but am pretty sure I improved it by adding the cover quote from a well-established author that defines the genre succinctly. Maybe I've been making too many changes too fast? Not enough? Should I terminate or pause this ad and start over?

Offline StephenBrennan

• Vancouver, BC
      • View Profile
      • Stephen Brennan.ca
    « Reply #941 on: September 28, 2018, 09:18:39 am »
    Any thoughts on what's going on with my ad?

Book released Sept 14th and my first ad started the same day. I have nothing to gauge it by other than what I'm learning here (I'm only part way thru the old posts so far) but seemed to me, based on the 'at least 1 click per 1k impressions' advice here, it was doing well for about 10 days. At the end of week one, I had 33,000+ impressions, 46 clicks (mainly off about 1/2 dozen keywords performing really well). About 10 days in, I had about 42-44k/61. But about 4 or 5 days ago, everything slowed to a trickle. Today marks 2 weeks and I have 47k/66 (also no new sales and no page reads for days).

The no sales, I can maybe see as I ended my promo week sale on the 22nd and raised the price of the ebook to $3.99. It might affect clicks (tho I wouldn't expect by this much) but I see no reason that should affect impressions (or page reads). I did change my book description slightly, but am pretty sure I improved it by adding the cover quote from a well-established author that defines the genre succinctly. Maybe I've been making too many changes too fast? Not enough? Should I terminate or pause this ad and start over?

I think AMS shows whatever ad they feel will make them the most money. Hence they give you lots of play until they can properly gauge your potential, then they rank your ad priority accordingly.

That's just an impression. Maybe others will chime in.

Offline khotisarque

• California
      • View Profile
      • Khoti Sarque
    « Reply #942 on: September 29, 2018, 01:55:41 pm »

"I think AMS shows whatever ad they feel will make them the most money."

Now there's a self-fulfilling prophecy if ever there was one!

So, given a 5-cent bid from Stephen King against a $5 bid from Arthur Newbie, which do they prefer?  And what does this do to the concept of an 'auction'?  Or corporate integrity?

But more likely, the algos are simply screwed up.
    Fine and Nifty: 80%

Barebones: 5%
    Moderation in all things, especially in moderation.
    khoti sarque | blog

Online ShaneCarrow

• View Profile
    « Reply #943 on: October 02, 2018, 09:56:40 pm »
    Can anyone explain why I've been billed twice in succession for AMS? Normally I have one bill in the first week of the month, but now I've been billed $67 on October 1 and then again for $13 on October 3.

I'm on the brink of ending all my AMS stuff anyway because I don't think it's a good ROI, and this doesn't help.

Shane Carrow

Offline Jena H

• North Carolina
    • Desperate character
      • View Profile
    « Reply #944 on: October 03, 2018, 03:39:14 am »
    Can anyone explain why I've been billed twice in succession for AMS? Normally I have one bill in the first week of the month, but now I've been billed $67 on October 1 and then again for $13 on October 3.

I'm on the brink of ending all my AMS stuff anyway because I don't think it's a good ROI, and this doesn't help.

I don't know how AMS bills.  It seems to me the billing is wonky, and have always thought so.... I feel they bill me more than they should.  Don't know about double-billing, though.   :(
    Jena

Offline Philip Gibson

• Laos (Moved from Yorkshire)
    • Philip and Cookie the Dog
      • View Profile
      • Hashtag Histories
    « Reply #945 on: October 03, 2018, 05:40:33 am »
    Same here.  They seem to bill according to 2 criteria:

1. When the amount due rises to $500.
    2. On the first 1 or 2 days of the month.

For me, both those applied within a few days of each other, so I paid one bill of $499 and a second bill of $95 within 5 days of each other.

Philip

What if there had been social media during important historical events?
    Philip Gibson | Hashtag Histories | Word By Word Graded Readers for Children

Offline Jena H

• North Carolina
    • Desperate character
      • View Profile
    « Reply #946 on: October 04, 2018, 02:58:48 pm »
    I paused my ad on 10/1.  I know AMS will bill me for the September activity, but let's see what they do on 11/4 (or whenever they next stick their sticky fingers into my bank account.

For September, I was billed $77 for my ad.  I think the ad only generated about $40 of sales.  I don't quite understand it... for a while the ad was a moneymaker.  Then it got to be just a break-even thing.  Then the ad lost all effectiveness and went underwater every month.  Which is why I paused it.  Actually, I copied the ad and to try and jumpstart it, but it hasn't seemed to work.

I think I'll leave the ad completely dormant for the month of October.  Then I'll revisit... maybe I'll advertise one of the later books in the series, see if that has any impact.
    « Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 07:57:06 pm by Jena H »
    Jena

Offline khotisarque

• California
      • View Profile
      • Khoti Sarque
    « Reply #947 on: October 24, 2018, 06:43:31 pm »
    Did we all pack up and go home?
    Fine and Nifty: 80%

Barebones: 5%
    Moderation in all things, especially in moderation.
    khoti sarque | blog

Offline Jena H

• North Carolina
    • Desperate character
      • View Profile
    « Reply #948 on: October 25, 2018, 03:13:54 am »
    Some people might have done that (i.e., left this board).  Myself, I'm not running any ads at the moment.  In November I'll start another one, see if that's more effective than my last one.
    Jena

Offline Gregg Bell

• Itasca, Illinois
      • View Profile
      • greggbell.net
    « Reply #949 on: October 26, 2018, 02:55:33 pm »
    Oh man, what a loss with Cassie being gone.

I have the first book of a series in an AMS ad since June 2018. It's lost $ but not a lot. I just did it to have a continuous presence of at least something out there all the time. So I'm considering doing the same thing with book 2 in the series. Thing is it took a long time to find which keywords worked for book 1, so I was thinkinig of just cloning the list for book 2.

My concern is the books look very much alike. Can anyone think of any downsides to having them both using the same keywords? Any benefits? Thanks.

Here are the covers.

P.S. Cassie, if you happen to see this: you are missed!

"When people agree with me I always feel that I must be wrong." Oscar Wilde
    Gregg Bell | Website | Amazon author page | Blog | Twitter | Google+ | Facebook

KBoards.com

• Advertisement